Start by marking “A Life in Time and Space - The Biography of David Tennant” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Life in Time and Spa...

Nigel Goodall

A Life in Time and Space - The Biography of David Tennant

2.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  109 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A Life In Time And Space is the bestselling story of the life and career of David Tennant, acclaimed classical actor and television's most popular Doctor Who, that was originally published in 2008, but now revised and updated for this ebook edition. Energetic and charismatic, David achieved international acclaim for his riveting portrayal of the tenth Time Lord in the cult ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by John Blake (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about A Life in Time and Space - The Biography of David Tennant

Godka
Sep 21, 2015 Godka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I don't know what I was expecting from this book. I guess I thought it would be very very different from what it actually is. Oh, foolish me. To be honest, if you're a proper fan of David Tennant there's no need to read this book. No.need.at.all. There was just a few things that were new to me and the rest of it... well, frankly "speaking", it's just rubbish. For instance, I find it really annoying that the author keeps bringing up loads of information about almost every person David has ever me ...more
Jonathan
I'm reviewing this because I read it after the 'biography' of Matt Smith and am going to use it to compare. I believe this is a much finer example of how a biography based on a Doctor Who actor should be written. However it is hardly the finest biography I have ever read (and I've read very few).

The information is thoroughly researched and I learned facts that I would not have found by simply looking it up on Wikipedia. Much of the information I believe can be sourced from Wikipedia and if I wer
Penni
Jun 21, 2012 Penni rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was cobbled together using quotes from interviews and articles out of magazines. Nowhere in here is David actively interviewed. A thin, put-together book that doesn't offer you any insider information that you couldn't already find on the internet.
Lois
Very slapdash with nothing of substance, no real order and, despite the nature of biographies because of the writing very distant to its subject. Most information is obvious or googleable, and Goodall offers little to none of his own opinions. A great example of why many are wary of biographies.
Candy
May 19, 2014 Candy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not care for this! It was not a "good read"! The book jumped too much and was hard to keep up with! Boring!! Love David Tennant! Though it seems the author just took articles or interviews about the actor and pieced together a book! Blah!!
Catherine Harris
Rating : 3.5

I'm a huge David Tennant fan so it was inevitable that someone would get me this for a Christmas or Birthday present at some point & I'm quite glad they did. I know this book has had some pretty bad reviews and I can see why.
1. It's not an official biography or even better an auto biography.
2. It's all taken from random sources which makes it seem very disorganised
3. reading it in 2013 you realise that the book was written a few years back & some of the information is old new
Megan
I think David Tennant is a great actor, but this biography was kind of boring. It went into so much detail about other people (Hello! I am reading this because it is supposed to be a biography of David Tennant, not every other person mentioned in this book!). There is not enough about David and his work in this book to justify it being called a biography of him. The book is only 200 pages and I would say less than half of it talks about him and even those pages don't say all that much. After fin ...more
Maddie_jane
I'm never a huge fan of a Biography (i very much prefer an autobiography) but as a David Tennant fan i was always going to have to read this one. Sadly my dislike of them was founded.
Whilst some of it was quite interesting i found Nigel Goodalls book very long winded in places. There seemed to be a huge amount written about the Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire for instance that i felt it did not need. A quick paragraph or 2 on Davids part would have sufficed.
So overall very disappointed.
Jackie
Jan 27, 2010 Jackie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd say that maybe half of this book is actually about David Tennant. I learned maybe one or two interesting things that i09 and other internets hadn't already told me. Every time the author brings up another famous person connected to David, or a play or show that David starred in, he rambles on for pages and pages. Honestly, I wasn't looking to read the autobiography of Kylie Minogue. There wasn't much about the Doctor Who series either.
Molly
Oct 17, 2011 Molly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Because Nigel could not get the interest/permission/whatever from Tennant or his agent, he appeared to compile his book from magazine,TV, news paper interviews and programs.The only part that he seems to have inserted for himself was the overly personal information concerning the funeral of Tennant's mother.

DON'T BOTHER... NOT EVENT THE PHOTOS WERE EXCITING.
Penny Culliford
May 16, 2009 Penny Culliford rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The content of this book would have made a good magazine article. Unfortunately it was stretched and padded to make a full length book. You do not learn any more about David Tennant than you could by looking at a website. I was not very impressed by the photographs either. They all make David Tennant look strange.
Hilary
Mar 15, 2010 Hilary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only made it through the first few chapters. The style of writing annoyed me too much: everything seemed like a recap of a press release, or something I'd already read online, and with no immediacy or sense of character. It felt like a summary, rather than a biography.
Brian Grinter
Interesting read although as it wasn't an 'authorised' biography much of it is pieced together from interviews and articles. Looking forward to reading an authorised biography which would give more of an insight into David Tennant.
Quinn Jackson
This was over all a good book but was not totally about David Tennet, some chapters would go on about other people he has worked with. I would give this book a 3/5.
Jemz Thomson
Did provide some interesting insight to his early acting career but did mostly feel like a much of online articles being spat back out at me
Sheila
Apr 08, 2011 Sheila rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another dreadful biography by Nigel Goodall
Carol Waller
Feb 19, 2013 Carol Waller rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Utter crap. Don't bother
Grace
Feb 08, 2010 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: David fans
love the pictures!
Meredith Motley
Meredith Motley marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Emilie Rein Heldal
Emilie Rein Heldal marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Sarah Zira
Sarah Zira marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
GARETH J. BOWLEY
GARETH J. BOWLEY rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Helen Mole
Helen Mole rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Kaire
Kaire marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
  • Lost London: An A-Z of Forgotten Landmarks and Lost Traditions
  • Growing Pains
  • The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Official Movie Guide
  • Star Trek Creator: The Authorized Biography of Gene Roddenberry
  • My Life in Doha: Between Dream and Reality
  • Smaug: Unleashing the Dragon
  • The Towering World of Jimmy Choo: A Glamorous Story of Power, Profits, and the Pursuit of the Perfect Shoe
  • The Shakespeare Miscellany
  • Surviving Hell: A POW's Journey
  • Ice Demon: A Dark Victorian Penny Dread (The Dark Victorian Penny Dreads Book 1)
  • Mrs. Malory and Any Man's Death
  • Capable of Murder (Belinda Lawrence Murder Mystery, #1)
  • Unofficial Doctor Who: The Big Book of Lists
  • Arrival of the Gods: Revealing the Alien Landing Sites of Nazca
  • Evaluating Training Programs: The Four Levels
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Visual Companion
  • Ulysses And Us: The Art Of Everyday Living
  • Atlas eines ängstlichen Mannes
Nigel Goodall is one of the most respected celebrity biographers in the UK with more than 20 books on the movie and pop world to his credit. He has written about some of the biggest names in showbusiness including Elton John, Kylie Minogue, Ray Winstone, David Tennant and Winona Ryder, which combined, have sold over a million copies and won him a literary prize nomination.
More about Nigel Goodall...