Start by marking “Up and Down with the Rolling Stones - My Rollercoaster Ride with Keith Richards” as Want to Read:
Up and Down with the Rolling Stones - My Rollercoaster Ride with Keith Richards

Up and Down with the Rolling Stones - My Rollercoaster Ride with Keith Richards

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  515 ratings  ·  41 reviews
This insider's account of the lives of Brian Jones, Keith Richard, and Mick Jagger in the sixties and seventies has become legendary in the years since its first publication in 1979. Tony Sanchez worked for Keith Richard for eight years - buying drugs, running errands, and orchestrating cheap thrills - and he records unforgettable accounts of the Stones' perilous misadvent ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by John Blake (first published August 1st 1979)

Be the first to ask a question about Up and Down with the Rolling Stones - My Rollercoaster Ride with Keith Richards

Steve
I read this when I was 14 years old, in 1979. There was no internet, very little insider material for young guys and girls to connect to to understand what was really happening in this almost-fantasy world of rock'n'roll royalty.

I got the book from my old man for Christmas, and didn't move from my sub-tropically heated, sweaty bedroom (and in Brisbane, Australia at Christmas time it is hot and humid).

The stories are sleazy, vindictive, unreliable, and there is plenty of self-pity from Sanchez t
Joel
This is my before-bed book, so it's going to go super slow. I'm just putting it up here for, like, total disclosure. Beatles aside, I'm not a rock-book person. This was a recommendation from a friend, though, and seems like a pretty wild, fat, sweet ride.

----------------

Okay, so, as I said before, aside from a bunch of books on The Beatles as a teenager, I've never been a reader of "rock" books or "rock-u-drama" books or "My Life With [name of celebrity:]" books or whatever. This dealie was rec
Gregsnyder
Despite the 3 rating you can't be a Stones fan if you haven't read this.
Carol Storm
Terrible, terrible book -- a sleazy pusher cashing in on a few nasty stories of the greatest band in history!!!

It's one thing to have Red and Sonny West write a book like ELVIS: WHAT HAPPENED. They were with Elvis from before he got famous. They knew his roots, knew his values, were Southern men who literally spoke the same language. And they didn't push dope, even if they took pills with Elvis from time to time.

But this book . . . eeeeeesh. It's not so much that Tony Sanchez was a parasite who
Matt
This is a book about staying away from the Rolling Stones if you want to live. Actually, it's a book about the Stones written by the guy who provided them with drugs for like 30 years, but swears he never sold drugs. Also, he never used a needle...until he DID use a needle later in the book. It's hard to know what's true, but if only half of it is it's still testimony to what a waste of skin the Stones have been throughout their long careers. They wrote great songs, and showed the world what reb ...more
Benito
Written by small-time gangster 'Spanish Tony' who became Richards' consigliere cum dogsbody and proprietor of the Stones' London club 'Vesuvios'. I think you get the gist.

I should add, this is the first e-book I've read. I don't have a Kindle but it was $2.90 and immediate or $15 and four weeks postage so as I needed it as research towards a deadline I took the e-book version and read it on Kindle Reader for MacBook. Once I put it in two-column format, with white text on black background, it wa
Steven Peterson
Not a bad book--but not a great one either. Lots of inside dopester coverage of the Stones (e.g., drug use). I'm not sure that I got a great insight beyond their escapades. . . .
Mary Foxgrover
Even though Keith claims this dude is lying, but I read it when I was 13 and I remember eating it up!
J
Up And Down With The Rolling Stones is a sort of gossipy, soap opera affair in the vein of I’m With The Band. “Spanish” Tony Sanchez is not much of a writer and, as a result, the whole thing’s a bit tedious. He lapses between tenses in a distracting way and the narrative is so disjointed, it’s hard to take anything from it. SpanTo makes a lot of really bizarre statements as well. Like, “No coke user ever fully comprehends at first a very simple fact – every snort of this beautiful, uplifting dru ...more
Michelle
Very illuminating about all the personalities involved in The Rolling Stones circle. The stuff about Anita Pallenberg was esp. enlightening and made me understand her better. Whew, the 60s were some crazy times. Part of me is envious I didn't live back then. What a wild ride. Love the Stones' music b/c even today, it is the music of rebellion, of going your own way and telling it like it is. Fun and gossipy, subjective. Liked it a lot.
Patrick Sperry
Not a biography of the stones, but a book about Sanchez, and drugs. Equivalent to "Elvis: What Happened." He favors Brian Jones, which is a signifier as to his attitude towards Mick and Keith. Some amusing stories, but to be approached with a grain of salt. He downplays his role as being a drug dealer, which he would later detract with his later cash-grab, "I Was Keith Richards' Drug Dealer."
Chris
Jan 26, 2009 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you
Alright.....druggie stories aside, and they are lavish and fantastic at this time in the 60's and 70's........., the loves and lifes and all the wonderful musically embued moments are worth the price of admission on this one. I read it 3 times over the first time around...but then, I am an aficianado of The Stones at all!
Andy
Oct 14, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rolling Stones fans, if there are any left
Shelves: rock-sleaze
Scandalous warts and all story of the Rolling Stones like no other. I'm surprised this thing got published. No book has described what a mess Brian Jones became prior to his death, jamming uppers and downers together in one fistful and then getting behind the wheel of his expensive car. You gotta get this one.
Jason Evans
Nov 13, 2007 Jason Evans rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: biography
Even if you are not a fan of the Stones, this book is an indepth look at the band during the height of their musical output and drug use. The book was written by the man who was responsible for obtaining heroin for Keith. The self destructive side of Richards is only outdone by his ability to live through it all.
Gina
some crazy, funny s**t! i like the tale of keith richards- loaded- off-roading his hydrofoil, chasing moat rats on the grounds of his english castle. "my best friend he shoots water rats & feeds them to his geese". nothing exceeds like excess!
Lawrence
I bought this at a local used bookstore. Kind of low-budget and salacious but won't surprise you if you know anything about the "real" Mick & Keith. Jan 2011 update: coming across this book on my shelf i feel dirty even owning it
Glorianne
enjoyed this book, although i so think some tales were told with greater than history.....which is why i like to read a lot of books on the same subject...as i like to get as many point of views as i can...
William
This book is trashy, funny and fun, written by a former drug dealing friend of the stones. Its a classic in its own right, just don't go into it expecting to learn or even hear a lot about the stones's music.
Christine Hardy
Dude. Sex drugs & rock n' roll. Tony Sanchez seems a bit of a creep and I like Keith Richard's book waaaaaaay better, but it was still a good read - much more insight to Brian's demise.
Grizel
A great, gossipy, malicious read. He does seem to be amazingly down on Anita Pallenberg though, which makes me wonder if anything passed between them besides her refusing to sleep with him.
Timothy Holst
First-douchebag meandering narrative soap opera cash-in by name-dropping semi-literate nobody. Some amusing anecdotes, however. Sadsack supplement to the vastly superior LIFE.
Tim
Pathetic. It was nothing more than Sanchez's attempt to justify his own existence. If you met Sanchez at a party, he'd be the name-dropper you'd want to punch in the face.
Stephen Sergio
read it back in the 80's. I found it entertaining ,however,I question the accuracy of the book. If your into soap operas this book my be up your ally.
Josh Hornik
60% about the drugs the Stones took. 20% about their girlfriends/wives. Only 5% about the music. Needed to be the reverse to interest me.
Chris Thomas
This book was responsible for much of my fascination with Keith Richards...it was written by his drug dealer in the '70's. Need I say more?
Michael Shilling
Jun 01, 2007 Michael Shilling rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to see how convincing an unreliable narrator can be
Keith Richards' drug dealer speaks. Entertaining and half-made up, but still a realer portrait of the big rock candy mountain than most.
Michael Lisk
Interesting. The stories in this book didn't quite match Keith Richards' version of events. A regular Rashomon.
Andy
Very much the equivalent of the Led Zep bio Hammer Of The Gods; i.e., highly amusing sleaze.
John
Easy, fun read, very interesting info and cool perspective on the Rolling Stones.
Tim
only flaw is that it's not written by ronnie wood- the all knowing master of that band.
  • Keith Richards: The Biography
  • S.T.P.: A Journey Through America With The Rolling Stones
  • 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky: The Life of Jimi Hendrix
  • Bob Dylan: A Biography
  • Somebody to Love?: A Rock-and-Roll Memoir
  • What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor
  • Buried Alive: The Biography of Janis Joplin
  • Unknown Legends of Rock 'n' Roll
  • The Love You Make: An Insider's Story of the Beatles
  • The Trouser Press Record Guide: The Ultimate Guide to Alternative Music
  • The Lives of John Lennon
  • Neil and Me
  • Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley
I Was Keith Richards' Drug Dealer Up and Down with the Rolling Stones: My Rollercoaster Ride with Keith Richards 84 Asanas, Level 1 - Practice Manual Up and Down with The Rolling Stones - My Rollercoaster Ride with Keith Richards Yoga Challenge I: Athletic Yoga System Reference Manual