Start by marking “Up and Down with the Rolling Stones - My Rollercoaster Ride with Keith Richards” as Want to Read:
Up and Down with the Rolling Stones - My Rollercoaster Ride with Keith Richards

Up and Down with the Rolling Stones - My Rollercoaster Ride with Keith Richards

This insider's account of the lives of Brian Jones, Keith Richard, and Mick Jagger in the sixties and seventies has become legendary in the years since its first publication in 1979. Tony Sanchez worked for Keith Richard for eight years - buying drugs, running errands, and orchestrating cheap thrills - and he records unforgettable accounts of the Stones' perilous misadvent ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by John Blake (first published August 1st 1979)

Be the first to ask a question about Up and Down with the Rolling Stones - My Rollercoaster Ride with Keith Richards

Steve
Nov 13, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rock-n-roll, bio
I read this when I was 14 years old, in 1979. There was no internet, very little insider material for young guys and girls to connect to to understand what was really happening in this almost-fantasy world of rock'n'roll royalty.

I got the book from my old man for Christmas, and didn't move from my sub-tropically heated, sweaty bedroom (and in Brisbane, Australia at Christmas time it is hot and humid).

The stories are sleazy, vindictive, unreliable, and there is plenty of self-pity from Sanchez t
Joel
May 03, 2015 Joel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my before-bed book, so it's going to go super slow. I'm just putting it up here for, like, total disclosure. Beatles aside, I'm not a rock-book person. This was a recommendation from a friend, though, and seems like a pretty wild, fat, sweet ride.

----------------

Okay, so, as I said before, aside from a bunch of books on The Beatles as a teenager, I've never been a reader of "rock" books or "rock-u-drama" books or "My Life With [name of celebrity]" books or whatever. This dealie was reco
Gregsnyder
Despite the 3 rating you can't be a Stones fan if you haven't read this.
Benito
Jun 25, 2012 Benito rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by small-time gangster 'Spanish Tony' who became Richards' consigliere cum dogsbody and proprietor of the Stones' London club 'Vesuvios'. I think you get the gist.

I should add, this is the first e-book I've read. I don't have a Kindle but it was $2.90 and immediate or $15 and four weeks postage so as I needed it as research towards a deadline I took the e-book version and read it on Kindle Reader for MacBook. Once I put it in two-column format, with white text on black background, it wa
Mary Foxgrover
Feb 15, 2011 Mary Foxgrover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though Keith claims this dude is lying, but I read it when I was 13 and I remember eating it up!
Paul Stevenson
Nov 19, 2015 Paul Stevenson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I see a lot of people claiming Keith called Sanchez out as a liar but that's not what I read in Rolling Stone when Keith was interviewed in 1981, a few years after the book was published and here all these years later, Rolling Stone has the interview up on it's website. So, with Keith saying the actual facts are true, why slag the book? -

Rolling Stone Magazine: The Brian-Anita-Keith triangle is a centerpiece of Up and Down with the Rolling Stones, by Tony Sanchez, which came out in 1979. Sanche
Carol Storm
Terrible, terrible book -- a sleazy pusher cashing in on a few nasty stories of the greatest band in history!!!

It's one thing to have Red and Sonny West write a book like ELVIS: WHAT HAPPENED. They were with Elvis from before he got famous. They knew his roots, knew his values, were Southern men who literally spoke the same language. And they didn't push dope, even if they took pills with Elvis from time to time.

But this book . . . eeeeeesh. It's not so much that Tony Sanchez was a parasite who
East Bay J
Jan 03, 2010 East Bay J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-bios
Up And Down With The Rolling Stones is a sort of gossipy, soap opera affair in the vein of I’m With The Band. “Spanish” Tony Sanchez is not much of a writer and, as a result, the whole thing’s a bit tedious. He lapses between tenses in a distracting way and the narrative is so disjointed, it’s hard to take anything from it. SpanTo makes a lot of really bizarre statements as well. Like, “No coke user ever fully comprehends at first a very simple fact – every snort of this beautiful, uplifting dru ...more
Matt
Nov 13, 2012 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about staying away from the Rolling Stones if you want to live. Actually, it's a book about the Stones written by the guy who provided them with drugs for like 30 years, but swears he never sold drugs. Also, he never used a needle...until he DID use a needle later in the book. It's hard to know what's true, but if only half of it is it's still testimony to what a waste of skin the Stones have been throughout their long careers. They wrote great songs, and showed the world what reb ...more
Christine Hardy
Dude. Sex drugs & rock n' roll. Tony Sanchez seems a bit of a creep and I like Keith Richard's book waaaaaaay better, but it was still a good read - much more insight to Brian's demise.
Grizel
Feb 26, 2012 Grizel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great, gossipy, malicious read. He does seem to be amazingly down on Anita Pallenberg though, which makes me wonder if anything passed between them besides her refusing to sleep with him.
Steven Peterson
Not a bad book--but not a great one either. Lots of inside dopester coverage of the Stones (e.g., drug use). I'm not sure that I got a great insight beyond their escapades. . . .
Tim
Sep 08, 2012 Tim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pathetic. It was nothing more than Sanchez's attempt to justify his own existence. If you met Sanchez at a party, he'd be the name-dropper you'd want to punch in the face.
Nichole Gunn
Interesting take

This book overview was quite misleading. That said; it was a different perspective than what I would have normally downloaded, so it gave me a different view. It was definitely interesting and pretty cool to hear from a buddy who was along for the ride. Not a deep read, its really just one man's tale of life in the fast lane with Keith Richards.
Brad Zerkel
Apr 20, 2015 Brad Zerkel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a very flattering look at Mick or Keith, or Brian but no real assaults on anyone else...I found it interesting, but then you have to remember the author is as big a junkie as Keith...so lord knows if there is any truth to it...reads well as fiction or biography....lol
Doug
Feb 09, 2014 Doug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mick Jagger once said all the books about the Rolling Stones were either boring or untrue. This one certainly is not boring. Written by Tony Sanchez, who was Keith Richards drug dealer up through the late '70's, he paints an entertaining, but at times hard to believe tale of sex, drugs and hedonism. Spanish Tony, as Keith called him, portrait of Keith leaves you asking the same question over and over, how is Keith still alive? And this book was published in 1979! It has been said that when they ...more
Ave Lynn
Sep 27, 2014 Ave Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. I've read other books about the Stones and from reading them and this book you can pretty much get to the bottom of what is true and what is not. This one seems very honest (Kieth R. himself said just that in his book LIFE) and being as he was Kieth's right hand man for a long length of time, well.......you just know he saw some sh*t. Tony Sanchez spent more time with Kieth and the Stones than that horrible, soul-less, morally bankrupt Anita Pallenberg -- this guy knows stuff. And I be ...more
Michelle
Jan 30, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rock-n-roll
Very illuminating about all the personalities involved in The Rolling Stones circle. The stuff about Anita Pallenberg was esp. enlightening and made me understand her better. Whew, the 60s were some crazy times. Part of me is envious I didn't live back then. What a wild ride. Love the Stones' music b/c even today, it is the music of rebellion, of going your own way and telling it like it is. Fun and gossipy, subjective. Liked it a lot.
Al Maki
Dec 29, 2015 Al Maki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-story
If he's not a liar as Richards accused him, then Sanchez wrote a good chronicle of my generation. All the hope, the egotism,the selfishness, the waste, the pettiness are here. I think I'm finally over my fascination with The Stones. Richards' memoir is better written but I expect he could afford a better ghost writer.
Chris
Aug 22, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you
Alright.....druggie stories aside, and they are lavish and fantastic at this time in the 60's and 70's........., the loves and lifes and all the wonderful musically embued moments are worth the price of admission on this one. I read it 3 times over the first time around...but then, I am an aficianado of The Stones at all!
Sara
May 05, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book at about age 14. I was obsessed with the stones, and Keith particularly, so I quite enjoyed it. Assume much of it is embellished but many of the stories have been retold, some I remembered when I read Keith's recent autobiography, so there's some truth in here. I'm going to retread it some time.
Andy
Oct 14, 2008 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rolling Stones fans, if there are any left
Shelves: rock-sleaze
Scandalous warts and all story of the Rolling Stones like no other. I'm surprised this thing got published. No book has described what a mess Brian Jones became prior to his death, jamming uppers and downers together in one fistful and then getting behind the wheel of his expensive car. You gotta get this one.
Jason Evans
Nov 13, 2007 Jason Evans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: biography
Even if you are not a fan of the Stones, this book is an indepth look at the band during the height of their musical output and drug use. The book was written by the man who was responsible for obtaining heroin for Keith. The self destructive side of Richards is only outdone by his ability to live through it all.
Grace
Aug 31, 2016 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rock-on
I read the original version of this when I was in high school. I loved it then, and I'm still obsessed with Nellcote (the French estate where the Rolling Stones recorded Exile on Main Street). I reread this new edition and it's pretty sensationalized. Entertaining.
Gina
Aug 22, 2008 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
some crazy, funny s**t! i like the tale of keith richards- loaded- off-roading his hydrofoil, chasing moat rats on the grounds of his english castle. "my best friend he shoots water rats & feeds them to his geese". nothing exceeds like excess!
Lawrence
Jan 23, 2011 Lawrence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
I bought this at a local used bookstore. Kind of low-budget and salacious but won't surprise you if you know anything about the "real" Mick & Keith. Jan 2011 update: coming across this book on my shelf i feel dirty even owning it
Glorianne Roccanova
enjoyed this book, although i so think some tales were told with greater than history.....which is why i like to read a lot of books on the same subject...as i like to get as many point of views as i can...
William
Jan 14, 2008 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is trashy, funny and fun, written by a former drug dealing friend of the stones. Its a classic in its own right, just don't go into it expecting to learn or even hear a lot about the stones's music.
Timothy Holst
First-douchebag meandering narrative soap opera cash-in by name-dropping semi-literate nobody. Some amusing anecdotes, however. Sadsack supplement to the vastly superior LIFE.
Stephen Sergio
Nov 05, 2011 Stephen Sergio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read it back in the 80's. I found it entertaining ,however,I question the accuracy of the book. If your into soap operas this book my be up your ally.
  • Stone Alone: The Story of a Rock 'n' Roll Band
  • Keith Richards: The Biography
  • The Stones
  • The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones
  • S.T.P.: A Journey Through America With The Rolling Stones
  • According to the Rolling Stones
  • 'Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky: The Life of Jimi Hendrix
  • Bob Dylan: A Biography
  • What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor
  • Old Gods Almost Dead: The 40-Year Odyssey of the Rolling Stones