Start by marking “The Universe Inside You: The Extreme Science of the Human Body from Quantum Theory to the Mysteries of the Brain” as Want to Read:

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Fascinating facts and mind-boggling science of the human body. Built from the debris of exploding stars that floated through space for billions of years, home to a zoo of tiny aliens, and controlled by a brain with more possible connections than there are atoms in the universe, the human body is the most incredible thing in existence. In the sequel to his bestselling Infli ...more
Published April 5th 2012 by Icon Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Universe Inside You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Universe Inside You

Brendon Schrodinger
I like Brian Clegg's books.

Most of the critical reviews on this style of his books comes from people who say "Well I know all that" and try and be high and mighty about their intellect. You are not Brian's audience. But in a way I guess I am not Brian's audience either.

Through 'The Universe Inside You' Brian takes us on a journey into the cosmos and a journey into the atom by contextualising fundamental scientific principles to what people can observe and feel about their bodies. He used a simil
The Universe Inside You: The Extreme Science of the Human Body From Quantum Theory to the Mysteries of the Brain by Brian Clegg

“The Universe Inside You" is a very engaging and educational book that takes us on an exploration of science of our bodies. By using our body as a laboratory the author cleverly takes us to other realms of science and helps us gain a better understanding of the world around and in us. Popular science writer Brian Clegg, provides the reader with a fun and interesting way
Amanda Patterson
This book is the perfect gift for people who want to explore science without being bored by academic jargon.
Clegg uses the human body as a vehicle for exploring science. Parts of the book are literally about the body, but the author links it to the larger world of science. For example, Clegg follows a photon of light from a star to your eye, and teaches you about cosmology and quantum theory.
The book is broken down into subjects such as vision, digestion, sensory perception, reproduction, and t
I bought this book in the hope I'd learn something about about biology and the human body; instead I got a book which uses the human body as a jumping off point to talk about other things: atoms and quantum physics and what happens to a helium balloon in a braking car (it heads towards the rear of the car because deceleration is acceleration in the opposite direction, and acceleration is the same as gravity, and the helium is lighter than air so heads away from gravity (or something), hence anyb ...more
Well, that was disappointing. Maybe I have unreasonably high expectations in my popsci tastes, cultivated by the likes of About Time (Adam Frank) and We Need to Talk About Kelvin (Marcus Chown). Maybe it was because none of the information presented was new to me. I do think this book would be great for younger readers, to get them interested in nonfiction, as it presents a great skim about a lot of different sciencey subjects.

The title, alas, promises more than it can provide. Because each subj
Mark Gray
An engaging style with some useful little facts but probably best for someone with a little bit of scientific knowledge, a good filler but I would probably not read it again
M.G. Mason
Following on from my review of In-flight Science by the same author, I moved into this one with interest. Have you ever thought about what a remarkable machine the human body is? Why does a mirror reflect an image left to right but not upside down? This book addresses some questions you might have about how you can see, the bacteria in our bodies and many more questions besides.

Like the previous book, Clegg looks at the body by showing us examples how they pertain outside the body – for example,
Bill Walker
Good stuff...some new material for me and some reinforcement of older learnings. Great flow and energy.
Martin Waterhouse
A great concept but unfortunately the Human Body aspect is crowbarred in and this turned out to be a rather regular pop science exploration of the usual topics found in countless other books. It's well written, and a very easy read, but one for a younger reader I think.
As someone who is interested in science, but didn't "get it" at school, I found this to be a really good introduction to some very complex ideas.
Brian Clegg has a writing "voice" that I found appealing. His sense of humour comes across, but never at the expense of imparting information.
I will admit to still not "getting" certain things covered here, but I feel a step closer to understanding and confident that I can field some of my child's questions about why things are and how they work.
Gary West
An insightful must read that provokes a sense of wonder and leaves you wanting to delve deeper into the mysteries it covers.
The Universe Inside You is a great book. It takes you through your body and uses it to explain many other things in science, like light and the universe itself. I enjoyed the writing and the facts, although I must say the contents don't need to be that long. An excellent read for young scientists.
Some interesting facts, but I found the book a little bland...
A reasonably good romp through various science subjects but not a book about the science of the body. The title and "vehicle" for the book is a bit contrived.
This science book didn't just cover anatomy, it covered a small part of all the sciences and in a language I could understand! Always a bonus :)
an excellent book if you want to brush up on science. some very good points made and is a good read for any age
I thought this was interesting, but I'm a sucker for facts of most sorts.
Nothing like what I expected and am quite disappointed
Sefton marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Hanna marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Andy Phanachet
Andy Phanachet marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Gemma Milne
Gemma Milne is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2015
Nick marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
opal marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Lily marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Sara marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
  • The World's Greatest Idea: The Fifty Greatest Ideas That Have Changed Humanity
  • The Naked Brain: How the Emerging Neurosociety is Changing How We Live, Work, and Love
  • Immortality: The Quest to Live Forever and How It Drives Civilization
  • 30-Second Psychology: The 50 Most Thought-Provoking Psychology Theories, Each Explained in Half a Minute
  • Deceived Wisdom: Why What You Thought Was Right Is Wrong
  • How to Destroy the Universe: and 34 Other Really Interesting Uses of Physics
  • Curious Behavior: Yawning, Laughing, Hiccupping, and Beyond
  • The Science of Love and Betrayal
  • The Epigenetics Revolution
  • My Beautiful Genome: Exposing Our Genetic Future, One Quirk at a Time
  • 40 Days and 40 Nights: Darwin, Intelligent Design, God, OxyContin, and Other Oddities on Trial in Pennsylvania
  • Human: The Science Behind What Makes Us Unique
  • Wonders of Life: Exploring the Most Extraordinary Phenomenon in the Universe
  • The Balance Within: The Science Connecting Health and Emotions
  • The Ego Trick: In Search Of The Self
  • All the Rebel Women: The Rise of the Fourth Wave of Feminism (Guardian Shorts)
  • SuperSense: Why We Believe in the Unbelievable
  • Sleep Paralysis: Night-mares, Nocebos, and the Mind-Body Connection (Studies in Medical Anthropology)
Brian's latest books, Ten Billion Tomorrows and How Many Moons does the Earth Have are now available to pre-order. He has written a range of other science titles, including the bestselling Inflight Science, The God Effect, Before the Big Bang, A Brief History of Infinity, Build Your Own Time Machine and Dice World.

Along with appearances at the Royal Institution in London he has spoken at venues fr
More about Brian Clegg...