Start by marking “Voices from the Titanic” as Want to Read:
Voices from the Titanic

Voices from the Titanic

The graphic, first-hand story of the first voyage and disastrous sinking of RMS Titanic - told by the survivors themselves.
Published January 1st 2012 by Robinson Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Voices from the Titanic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Voices from the Titanic

Nahiyan Asadullah
May 11, 2015 Nahiyan Asadullah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
There could be no second opinion about the significance of eye-witness accounts, be it the biggest maritime disaster in human history or be it anything else.

Being a Titanic-buff, I can tell you that most books, written on the topic, don't exactly quote or narrate authentic stories. As with historic events, much of it are romanticized. However, this was pretty different from the others in that one will find eye-witness accounts and such from authentic sources.

Having said that, there's another bi
Dawn Livingston
Vicky Thomasson
A heartfelt story about the Titanic with much of the narrative being first hand accounts of the survivors.

Although I found this book completely heartbreaking, I found at times reading very similar accounts over and over again took away some of the meaning as (awful as this sounds) I began to get a bit bored of it. However, as the book contained so many first hand accounts I could really get a sense of how emotional and scary it was. I found it extremely sad how so many lives could have been save
Michelle Belcher
A harrowing book detailing the tragedy of the Titanic. Repetitive throughout and I did find myself skipping large chunks. However, the lifeboat stories were fascinating and my heart went out to all on board the doomed ship. We all know the Titanic story thanks to countless films etc but this gave a little more insight into what actually happened that night.
Kathy
Apr 19, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very interesting to read, the papers and affidavits from the inquiry made it all seem so very real. I cannot imagine what it must have been like to have to leave your loved ones behind, yet to have had the belief that they too would survive, when this was highly unlikely. The sheer scale of constraint shown by the individuals involved was incredible, as was the staunch belief that the ship was invincible and that it could and would never sink. It would be fair to say that I doubt very m ...more
Laura Adkins
Feb 03, 2016 Laura Adkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was an emotional read. actually reading the real eyewitness accounts before during and after the sinking of those that were there and how the press reported it all at the time really makes it feel more real. what these people went through and how brave they were is really amazing.
Amy Appleby
A very in depth book about the Titanic, the sinking and the subsequent inquiries. Many of the accounts are very moving especially as they come from the survivors themselves. My only problem with the book is that it seems to have been put together without any thought to the structure which makes it feel like it's a chore to get to the end. I think it's one for dipping into every now and again as apposed to reading it all the way through. I don't think this is the definitive book on the Titanic. I ...more
Devi
May 20, 2015 Devi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it!
Apr 16, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Wonderful and Important book containing personal anthologies of the disaster from a number of fascinating perspectives. Although I agree with some of the other reviewers that the repetitiveness of some of the accounts led me to skip pages at times. Nonetheless each individual account deserves to be recorded, and here it is done.

After reading this book I watched 'A Night to Remember' and was pleased to see that many of the first-hand accounts of events were honoured in the film. I recommend bot
Kayl Parker
Apr 15, 2012 Kayl Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm already a fan of historical non-fiction, and have read a few books on the Titanic disaster, but this book was much better than I would have hoped. Don't be put off by the length, it's a rather easy read, consisting of first-hand accounts, newspaper articles and official inquiries. I would recommend to anyone interested in knowing more about Titanic especially on the 100th anniversary.
Lora
Apr 20, 2012 Lora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cried a lot and I had to take it slow and take breaks or I think this book would have depressed me way too much but I loved it anyway. The story told in the words and accounts of people who were actually there was the best way to read the story and it was very well edited
Angeli
Jan 23, 2013 Angeli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been looking for something like this all my life! Real Accounts of what happened to the most tragic event in history (For me) are compiled and surprisingly turned into one big book of love, hope, sadness, drama, and of course, tragedy.

FOR TITANIC FANS, this is A MUST!
Rebecca
Aug 26, 2016 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I read most of the book, but it was very repetitive and more of a collection of historical accounts. It was nothing special, and the book was very disorganized. I do not recommend this book unless you really don't mind reading hundreds of first-hand accounts.
Tony
May 17, 2012 Tony rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Probably good for historians, but reading essentially the same stories over and over again with only slight variations doesn't make for entertaining reading. Seems like a book that was hastily slapped together with no thought toward narrative or structure.
Kylie
Feb 28, 2015 Kylie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredibly informative read, from survivors stories to newspaper articles on all the tragic events at the time. It was very interesting reading all the heartbreaking stories of the survivors so many of who lost loved one was
Emmalynn Herbstritt
I really only liked the people's stories,that's it though. I skipped all of the front section of the story and moved to chapter three. I then skipped most of the last part. It did get boring when I wasn't reading the stories.
Mollie Westhead
This was a wonderful read.I would recommend it to anyone who is interested about reading about the Titanic as I do and loved finding out things I hadn't known.
Shahrun
Jul 25, 2012 Shahrun marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Fiona Howells
One of the world's greatest stories, has kept the world fascinated for 100 years.
This collection of accounts - meh.
David Ridgeway
May 03, 2013 David Ridgeway rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book...although it was very sad to read the accountanof people that were on the ship.

Davidx
Tina
May 30, 2012 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting first hand accounts, although after awhile it got to be the same old same old tales.
A. Kuhlii
Lord's A night to remember is much better.
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Michelle Vigil
Michelle Vigil marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
George Farrants
George Farrants rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Ursula
Ursula rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Alli Jordan
Alli Jordan rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
The Man in the Moon
The Man in the Moon marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
  • Lost Voices From the Titanic: The Definitive Oral History
  • Unsinkable: The Full Story Of The RMS Titanic
  • The Story of the Titanic As Told by Its Survivors
  • A Rare Titanic Family: How the Caldwells Survived the Sinking and Traveled the World
  • Titanic Survivor
  • Voyagers of the Titanic: Passengers, Sailors, Shipbuilders, Aristocrats, and the Worlds They Came From
  • The Loss of the S.S. Titanic: Its Story and Its Lessons
  • How to Survive the Titanic: or, The Sinking of J. Bruce Ismay
  • Shadow of the Titanic: The Extraordinary Stories of Those Who Survived
  • The Titanic: End of a Dream
  • And the Band Played On: The Titanic Violinist & the Glovemaker: A True Story of Love, Loss & Betrayal
  • Titanic, First Accounts
  • Titanic Love Stories: The True Stories of 13 Honeymoon Couples Who Sailed on the Titanic
  • Titanic: Destination Disaster : The Legends and the Reality
  • The Titanic Disaster Hearings: The Official Transcripts of the 1912 Senate Investigation
  • Selling Hitler