Start by marking “Eye Lake” as Want to Read:
Eye Lake

Tristan Hughes

Eye Lake

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"Hughes is a very good writer, if 'good writing' has to do with precision, eloquence, beauty, and passionately held belief."--"Times Literary Supplement"

Welcome to Crooked River, population 2,851 and falling.

Eli has lived in Crooked River his whole life, ever since he was born in the dead of winter with the cord wrapped around his neck nearly thirty years ago, and he knows
Published May 15th 2012 by Coach House (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eye Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye Lake

Donna
Eye Lake is the lake that is next to the town of Crooked River. The population keeps decreasing as people leave or die. Eli O'Callaghan has lived there all of his life. His grandfather, Clarence, was the founder of Crooked River and the builder of the first hotel in the town. He had also built a "castle" that happened to go underwater one day when the river rose. Eli's grandfather walked to the river one day and disappeared.

Now, Eli's best friend, George has also mysteriously disappeared. George
Clarry

I have never read Tristan Hughes before, but now will definitely seek out his other books. This story was about the quintessential small wilderness town where everyone knows everyone else and losses are shared by everyone. First of all, I loved the voice of the narrator, Eli. Deprived of oxygen during his difficult birth, Eli may not verbally express himself clearly to the other characters but certainly notices and describes everything to the reader in rich sensual detail. He sees relationships
David Brown
Set in the small town of Crooked River, Eye Lake tells the story of a community that is celebrating its centenary but beneath this landmark moment in the town’s history are some dark secrets. Our narrator is Eli who has lived in Crooked River his entire life. Due to complications during his birth, Eli is a little slower than others but though he sometimes finds interacting with the locals a bit awkward there is no denying his knowledge and familiarity in Crooked River.

This is a town where the po
Mar
3.5 Slow moving and parts predictable, but a decent story.
Leyen
Eye Lake switches from past to present, slowly revealing the main character's past through these glimpses. Through Eli's point of view, readers slowly gain an understanding of the town and the reasons why people disappear. I loved certain lines and phrases that Hughes uses, but long monologues are not a favorite of mine. Not only that, but I could not feel much for Eli. Overall, however, it is an okay-book.
Louise
I wasnt sure if I'd like this as much as his other books, which are set in Wales, but thankfully I did.
I really liked the character of Eli, and the simplicity of the story,narrated by him.
It unfolded nicely, never revealing too much, or anything that didnt feel we needed to know, and kept the mystery of the three missing people almost to the end before bringing them home.
nice one!
Heather
Left me a "haunting" feeling. Great use of descriptive writing. A little confusing at times when the author goes back and forth from the past to present. However, that could be due to fact I usually read before bed and I am so tired it is hard to concentrate. :)
Lizzie White
This book would be really good if it weren't for the language. The story and the setting is great, but the language distracts me from what's going on in the book.
Jackie
I tried really hard to get into this book but I just couldn't. Three chapters in and I still wasn't hooked.
Billyf27
I loved the main character Eli and the setting of the story.
Muhammad
Muhammad marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Carly Giles
Carly Giles marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Matthew Tett
Matthew Tett marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Manuel De Damas
Manuel De Damas marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2013
Melody Kiss
Melody Kiss marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2013
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Tristan Hughes was born in Atikokan, Ontario, and brought up on the Welsh island of Ynys Môn. He has a PhD in literature from King’s College, Cambridge, and has taught American literature in Cambridge, Taiwan, Wales and Germany. He won the Rhys Davies Short Story Award in 2002, and his first two novels, The Tower and Send My Cold Bones Home, were highly praised in the U.K. Revenant is his third no ...more
More about Tristan Hughes...
Revenant The Tower Send My Cold Bones Home Urban Welsh