Start by marking “Eye Lake” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Eye Lake

Tristan Hughes

Eye Lake

"Hughes is a very good writer, if 'good writing' has to do with precision, eloquence, beauty, and passionately held belief."--"Times Literary Supplement"

Welcome to Crooked River, population 2,851 and falling.

Eli has lived in Crooked River his whole life, ever since he was born in the dead of winter with the cord wrapped around his neck nearly thirty years ago, and he knows
Published May 15th 2012 by Coach House Books (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Eye Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eye Lake

Donna
May 13, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Eye Lake is the lake that is next to the town of Crooked River. The population keeps decreasing as people leave or die. Eli O'Callaghan has lived there all of his life. His grandfather, Clarence, was the founder of Crooked River and the builder of the first hotel in the town. He had also built a "castle" that happened to go underwater one day when the river rose. Eli's grandfather walked to the river one day and disappeared.

Now, Eli's best friend, George has also mysteriously disappeared. George
Jackie
Sep 03, 2012 Jackie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried really hard to get into this book but I just couldn't. Three chapters in and I still wasn't hooked.
David Brown
Set in the small town of Crooked River, Eye Lake tells the story of a community that is celebrating its centenary but beneath this landmark moment in the town’s history are some dark secrets. Our narrator is Eli who has lived in Crooked River his entire life. Due to complications during his birth, Eli is a little slower than others but though he sometimes finds interacting with the locals a bit awkward there is no denying his knowledge and familiarity in Crooked River.

This is a town where the po
Clarry
Apr 30, 2012 Clarry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I have never read Tristan Hughes before, but now will definitely seek out his other books. This story was about the quintessential small wilderness town where everyone knows everyone else and losses are shared by everyone. First of all, I loved the voice of the narrator, Eli. Deprived of oxygen during his difficult birth, Eli may not verbally express himself clearly to the other characters but certainly notices and describes everything to the reader in rich sensual detail. He sees relationships
Leyen
Jun 22, 2012 Leyen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general
Eye Lake switches from past to present, slowly revealing the main character's past through these glimpses. Through Eli's point of view, readers slowly gain an understanding of the town and the reasons why people disappear. I loved certain lines and phrases that Hughes uses, but long monologues are not a favorite of mine. Not only that, but I could not feel much for Eli. Overall, however, it is an okay-book.
Louise
Jan 20, 2012 Louise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasnt sure if I'd like this as much as his other books, which are set in Wales, but thankfully I did.
I really liked the character of Eli, and the simplicity of the story,narrated by him.
It unfolded nicely, never revealing too much, or anything that didnt feel we needed to know, and kept the mystery of the three missing people almost to the end before bringing them home.
nice one!
Heather
Sep 18, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Left me a "haunting" feeling. Great use of descriptive writing. A little confusing at times when the author goes back and forth from the past to present. However, that could be due to fact I usually read before bed and I am so tired it is hard to concentrate. :)
Wilde Sky
One man’s account of some of the history of a small town and the odd disappearances that have occurred.

I found this book difficult to get into – the plot / characters / scenes / plot didn’t grab my attention.

Real rating 2.5.
Lizzie White
May 18, 2012 Lizzie White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be really good if it weren't for the language. The story and the setting is great, but the language distracts me from what's going on in the book.
Trina Hollis
Trina Hollis rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2011
Scott Steedman
Scott Steedman rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Laurel
Laurel rated it it was ok
Nov 07, 2012
Carla rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Billyf27
Mar 19, 2011 Billyf27 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the main character Eli and the setting of the story.
John Morris
John Morris rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Gary Postma
Gary Postma rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Christopher Sword
Christopher Sword rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2015
Coach House Books
Coach House Books rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2012
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Irishmaddoc
Irishmaddoc rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2014
Analgisia
Analgisia rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
Carrie
Carrie rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Andrea Paterson
Andrea Paterson rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Rachel Trezise
Rachel Trezise rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2011
Joanne Knibbe
Joanne Knibbe rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Cathy Gulkin
Cathy Gulkin rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2014
Mar
May 16, 2014 Mar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Slow moving and parts predictable, but a decent story.
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
May 25, 2012
Tristan Hughes was born in Atikokan, Ontario, and brought up on the Welsh island of Ynys Môn. He has a PhD in literature from King’s College, Cambridge, and has taught American literature in Cambridge, Taiwan, Wales and Germany. He won the Rhys Davies Short Story Award in 2002, and his first two novels, The Tower and Send My Cold Bones Home, were highly praised in the U.K. Revenant is his third no ...more
More about Tristan Hughes...