Start by marking “Clothesline Clues to Jobs People Do” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Clothesline Clues to J...

Kathryn Heling

Clothesline Clues to Jobs People Do

Through lively, accessible verse, readers identify recognizable careers that are fundamental to most communities. Look on and below seven clotheslines and spot colorful items, including the mail carrier's uniform, the artist's brushes, and the chef's apron. Then turn the page to learn which professionals wear and use the special gear in the jobs they do. Clever illustratio ...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Charlesbridge Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Clothesline Clues to Jobs People Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clothesline Clues to Jobs People Do

Natalie
Aug 07, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would be a good book to engage an audience through providing opportunities for guessing, and then I noticed there are lady astronauts, carpenters, and firefighters! Combating gender stereotypes FTW.
Mari
A rhyming guessing game. What fun! Kids love this kind of riddle book, and I love that the authors deliberately have women doing jobs where picture books more often show men- firefighters, astronauts, etc. Plus, if you look carefully at the illustrations, you can see that the pictures tell a story that the kids can 'read' via the pictures. This kind of book is great for building kids background knowledge, which in turn makes learning to read much easier.
Brittani Laski
"Look at the cover of this book; what do you notice in the illustrations? (Showing them the cover) (Children's responses) The string and clothespins make up a clothesline. What do you think the clothesline does? (Children's responses) It holds clothes up to let them air dry. Have you ever seen a clothesline before? Where do you think clotheslines could be at? (Children's responses) Since we understand what a clothesline is, why do think it is being used in the book? (Children's responses) Okay, ...more
Laurie
Aug 23, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sunday Cummins
Jul 15, 2015 Sunday Cummins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple but fun for PreK or ages 3-5. I'd read this aloud to students and then put it in my classroom library for them to look at again and again. The illustrations support the students in their attempts to "read" the text again with a friend; in other words, they can recall the clues and then the patterned text for the following page "She plays X." The same could happen at home - read it aloud to your child and then he or she may pick up and do the "reading" back to you.

I also liked Clothesline
Jane
Jan 06, 2015 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
My preschool age child and I really enjoyed reading this. I read the clues and let her guess what the jobs were, it was really fun! We got to talk about what people do at their jobs and what she might like to do when she grows up. I also really appreciated the rhyming text, I feel like that always keeps the book lively and interesting, although this subject could have carried without it. Very fun.
Brent Rogers
Feb 04, 2015 Brent Rogers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud, rhyming
This book has pictures of clothes on a clothesline and has a couple sentences that rhyme and give hints for what profession might wear these clothes. The students can guess what profession the clothes belong to. On the next page, the job is revealed. This book would be great during career/community week in a Kindergarten-second grade classroom.
Alice
Mar 06, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-25-stars
4.25 Stars I like this book for several reason. It is fun to guess whose clothes are on the line. I like it that the mail carrier is in each picture. I like that it isn't just he's. SHE is a firefighter, HE is a farmer, SHE is a mail carrier etc.

As you can see I really liked this book!
Laurie Post
May 07, 2016 Laurie Post rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Great book to use with a social studies unit on Community Helpers. This book is an interactive book that allows students to have the chance to guess who is being talked about by the clues given.
Linda
This book is clever in that it makes a game of guessing, through clothing hanging on clotheslines, the work that the person who wears those clothes does. It includes farmers, artists and firefighters. There are double-page spreads of the clotheslines, then double-page spreads with the answers! Having fun guessing is one good thing about the story, but the other is that the book defies stereotyping, showing the firefighter and mail carrier as women, and so on. Although all of the workers could b ...more
Barbara
Although this sort of thing has been done before--readers have to look for clues in the rhyming text and the illustrations--I like how each person or his/her characteristic object moves into the next job being depicted; for instance, the letter carrier is shown delivering mail in the farmer's mailbox. What's more the book seems to be combatting gender stereotypes with female mail carriers and female carpenters. The pencil and mixed media illustrations have been manipulated digitally to appeal to ...more
babyhippoface
Just right for PreK classes, this book shows you the clothing and tools associated with certain jobs and asks the reader to guess the occupations.

Example: hanging on the clothesline are the pieces of a mail carrier's uniform, and sitting in the grass is a mailbag. The book gives clues in the form of a short poem, then asks, "What does she do?" Turn the page and you see the postal worker dressed in her uniform and carrying her bag of mail. "She's a mail carrier!"

Very simple illustrations and tex
Dec 01, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A double-page spread includes clothes and accessories that people wear for a job; a four-line rhyme gives additional clues. The next page reveals the person and states what job he or she holds. Jobs include: mail carrier, farmer, chef, artist, carpenter, firefighter, and astronaut. Throughout the story, the mail carrier delivers invitations and all the people attend the astronaut's launch party.

The concept is fun and the rhymes are cute. A great read aloud for preschool students while also bein
ESF Tsing Yi
This is a fantastic book for getting children thinking about the different clothes needed for different jobs, and for starting "Why...because..." discussions. Love the illustrations, and the concept!
Mollie B
Aug 15, 2016 Mollie B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Begins and ends with women in non-traditional fields. Inspirational to young readers that they can do anything they want to do.
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kids can guess what job will be done by the uniform hanging on the clothesline. This book is clever and inclusive.
Heather
Jan 20, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Love how it challenges gender stereotypes!! Women as firefighters, women as carpenters, men as chefs, etc...
Miss Sarah
Jan 05, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: getting-dressed
A simple book where a clothesline shows clothes and clues are given to what people jobs are.
Katy
Jan 11, 2016 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great interactive book for preschool or toddler storytime.
Jenny
Simple pictures and text. Makes a nice guessing game for toddlers.
Ms Threlkeld
Fun way to introduce a few occupations to younger children.
Dana Pressnell
Feb 07, 2014 Dana Pressnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Simple picture book of Clues for careers. Grades K-1
Annie
Apr 26, 2013 Annie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades K-3
I would love to have a copy of this book in my classroom. The book shares pictures and clues to lead you to a job. For example, a clothesline with a uniform and cap and a big bag of letters, then the next page shows the job. I think that the class could really enjoy this book, they can be involved in making predictions and inferences as to what the job that is being described is going to be. I really think K-2 would really enjoy being actively involved in this book. The book is helpful too, for ...more
Dec 08, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-books
Cute. Great storytime guessing book.
Elaine
Oct 25, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
AT the library we frequently get requests for career-oriented books because the teacher is doing a unit on careers (or community helpers). This books would make a great introductory read-aloud for this unit. Each page contains a clothes line with clothing and tools used by a specific career. Kids have to guess what career it. Turn the page, and kids see someone performing that job. Very cute, engaging, and fun. The only negative is that the book is not very large, so a read-aloud will be a bit c ...more
Mary
This would be an excellent read aloud book—it has clues as to what type of job each person has based on the clothes that are hanging up on the clothesline. It crosses the gender expectations of each type of job and gives the audience a chance to determine what job is being discussed from the clues presented. The pictures are cute and the text is minimal. Great for ECE-1st grade!
Angela
Jul 09, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
It's a guess the occupation job book, where the reader has only their clothes to go on. What makes this book particularly notable is the substational inclusion of women in jobs such as farmer, firefighter and carpenter.

A great subtle message in women's liberation, disguised in a low level carreer exloration picture book.

Recommended for schools and libraries.
Tanya Kirschman
Jan 16, 2014 Tanya Kirschman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! Perfect for teaching career awareness to Kindergartners!
Kelley Beatty
Sep 06, 2013 Kelley Beatty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book because it shows the uniforms of the different workers (which my daughter personally had difficulty with learning the neighborhood concept), gives clues to help engage the children into the learning, asks you the question, "what do you think this uniform is for?" AND the pictures of the workers aren't stereotyped WHICH i find hugely important.
Rebecca Tolley
Feb 09, 2013 Rebecca Tolley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bright colors, whimsical images, and bold typography make this picture book about clothing associated with specific professions a stand out and let children have fun guessing about identity and learning terminology for careers/professions. Best part is that the authors didn't stereotype professions by gender. Diversity of race is represented as well.
  • A Kiss Means I Love You
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Step Gently Out
  • Go! Go! Go! Stop!
  • Plant a Little Seed
  • Robot Zombie Frankenstein!
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Winter Is the Warmest Season
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • If You're Hoppy