Start by marking “Domestic Affairs” as Want to Read:

3.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  262 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
A contemporary novel about politics"Primary Colors" meets "The Devil Wears Prada"--and of campaign corruption, intrigue, adultery, and power. ...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Weinstein Books

To ask other readers questions about Domestic Affairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Domestic Affairs

Jamison Doran
I'm a political wonk and love light political books (Kristin Gore's are phenomenal), and was really excited for this one.

While the book wasn't bad, and it certainly was fascinating trying to match the fictional characters with their real-life counter parts, I was rather underwhelmed.

The characters were not particularly likable, and the heroine, Olivia, came across as mildly annoying at best, to downright obnoxious at worst. She had potential, and as a smart and intelligent character, I was very
Mike
Aug 13, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Politics, power, money and sex...
Hopefully, that got your attention! But, the truth is this is a great story about people. People who work towards their ideals, but also people whom have flaws, and are human nonetheless. This book is a look behind the scenes of political campaigns and fundraising, but at the end of the day, it's a great look behind the scenes of coworkers, or your friends or family. Whether you are a campaign staffer, political novice or anything in between, Domestic Affairs i
Ozma
Dec 31, 2015 Ozma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great fun to read about the inner workings of a presidential campaign just starting to get off its feet, especially in the current political season. I read this whole novel without realizing until much later on that the authored worked on Edwards' presidential campaign. That brings quite a twist to the novel, in a way, considering what we know of Edwards now. Anyway, was a fun light read and gives an insight into what these political staffers do, their ambitions, their desires, and hopes. ...more
Stephanie Mah
Aug 01, 2012 Stephanie Mah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dear friend Bridget wrote a smart, entertaining and engaging book about the juicy inner workings of political campaigns. A must read!!
Miriam Downey
Read my full review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

Olivia and Jacob are good friends who work on political campaigns, moving up the ladder of campaigns from state races to national races. Jacob has begun working for Landon Taylor's Democratic presidential run. He suggests to Taylor that he might consider Olivia for the position of fundraiser. When Taylor hires Olivia to be his head fundraiser, she becomes the youngest head fundraiser in history. Olivia is smart and pretty, and qu
Nancy McKibben
Dec 02, 2012 Nancy McKibben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who would like an inside look at a presidential campaign in novel form
Recommended to Nancy by: no one; picked it from a library display
Shelves: reviewed

By Bridget Siegel

Who could stand to read a novel about the insiders in a presidential campaign after suffering through the longest campaign in history this year? I suppose I picked up this book because the author is an actual insider (Siegel has worked for the state and national campaigns of prominent Democrats like Hilary Clinton and President Obama) and I thought I might be enlightened and entertained.

The novel’s heroine Olivia is a seasoned twenty-something political fundraise
Terri Powers
Let me start by saying I joined a Book Club. Yes, I found out about a club and I invited myself. The invite was graciously accepted, so I graciously accepted the book everyone had decided to read, Domestic Affairs, by Bridget Siegel – a political romance/drama based in the present time. Would I have picked this book, no, but I’m hoping to introduce my book, Flashback To The Dragon, to them at some time in the future.

This is my first book club; I’m usually an independent reader and have never tho
Sandie
Oct 01, 2013 Sandie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olivia Greenley can't believe her luck. Her good friend, Jacob, campaign manager for Presidential candidate Landon Taylor, has recommended her to be the new chief fundraiser. It is Olivia's dream job. Taylor is her perfect candidate; a man who is in politics to make things right and whose campaign she would be honored to work on. She is overjoyed when she is hired, especially at the knowledge that she is the youngest chief fundraiser around.

As the campaign progresses, Olivia spends hours each d
Sara Bachman
FINALLY a book with an ending that didn't leave me extremely pissed off, upset, or disappointed in the world. I was actually quite satisfied. I found this book to be fairly good. The inside scoop to political campaigning was really interesting to me. One thing that distracted from the content was the constant changing of tense and voice. There would be times where in one sentence, Olivia was talking about the past and in the next sentence, the narrator was describing Olivia in the present. Kind ...more
Wendy Hines
Domestic Affairs isn't my normal cup of tea simply because I don't like to read stories steeped in politics. But, the synopsis sounded promising and I thought I'd give it a go. I have to be honest and say I was pleasantly surprised on how well I enjoyed Domestic Affairs. Siegel has a brilliant way of writing that kept me entranced with the story.

The three main characters, Olivia, Jacob and Landon aren't by any means complex characters. I liked them, but I didn't love them. It's the plot, the su
Samantha Janning
May 29, 2013 Samantha Janning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Domestic Affairs by Bridget Siegel in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second political-based book I’ve read in the past month, and I have to say I’m really enjoying them! It’s interesting to learn about a world that I don’t know much about (politics confuse me, I’ll admit it) and then to also get a behind-the-scenes glance at all the key players. I like learning from my reading, and it was great fun to be able to chat with my fiancé over dinner and tell him about
Brendan MacRae
Apr 07, 2015 Brendan MacRae rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, where to begin. Firstly, there are two protagonists, one male, and one female. You don't really end up rooting for either one. The plot is a hot mess that goes really nowhere and the writing is competent and that's about it.

Not a good read - especially not if you have a penis.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
"Domestic Affairs" is a wonky romance story. Now, I really enjoy politics and I like romances but this book didn't really do it for me.

The story itself is pretty interesting. Olivia, a woman who is enamored with the swarmy Landon, who is running for office, is also working Landon's campaign. Olivia makes some really bad decisions and doesn't seem to even begin thinking of the consequences. She falls for Landon and gets romantically entangled with him. This was one of my main issues. Olivia seem
Ryan Naples
Sep 25, 2012 Ryan Naples rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My plan was always going to be reviewing this book as absolutely great, regardless of whether I actually liked it. But I have to say, I actually couldn't put this book down, and I loved it. It's fast-paced, and even suspenseful. The whole setting for the book is also an interesting mix of someone being hard-working and smart but paradoxically vulnerably committed to an idea and than a person, is very real and quite poignant. The campaign life, and believing in what you're doing with your life - ...more
Claire Handscombe
I wanted to rate it three and a half, really. I liked it - it took me a while to get into it, and that's why it's not a 4, but it's a lot better written than other novels of the same ilk (with the exception of Kristin Gore's Sammy books, which are the best). I also learned a lot about campaigns which was the point of reading it in the first place, but she does a good job of explaining the jargon so that you don't have to be an MSNBC junkie to get it. I liked the inside look into a campaign, I li ...more
Brenda
Feb 10, 2016 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect time to read this book with the Presidential campaigning underway. Enjoyable read, and good character development.
Susan
Dec 30, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Great plot, and a good choice for anyone who enjoys political campaign novels.
Stephanie
Apr 20, 2014 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh! Two bad reads in a row. Not good. I originally had high hopes for what I expected to be a campaign thriller of sorts given the author's real-life experience with a few past presidential campaigns. Not the case here, unfortunately. Dull, dull, dull.
Savanna Funkhouser
I really wish I could give this book a 3 1/2. But Overall I liked it. I am a political junkie myself, I've worked and volunteered on campaigns, and I could definitely relate to the lifestyle that the characters were living.

I think I expected the affair with Landon and Olivia to be a little steamier, and I wasn't crazy about the ending. I won't go into it for those who haven't read it, but I thought it just sort of dropped off.

But overall I thought it was a pretty good read. I would definitely
Angela Reighard
Feb 04, 2014 Angela Reighard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could not get into this book at all! Finally skipped to the end.
Stephanie
Sep 07, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Refreshing end of summer read! I love when I find a beach appropriate book that isn't trite. I needed a beach book for Labor Day weekend and I can't stand the chic lit out there that is so "surfacey".

This book tells the story of a young girl working on a Presidential campaign. Set mostly in NYC, but we follow the campaign across the country, private planes, fancy dinners, inappropriate romances, you name it. Easy read, enjoyed the characters and their development. Perfect timing with the electi
Rflutist
Jan 09, 2013 Rflutist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been a while since I stayed up all night to read a book, but I wound up doing so with this one, finishing at 3:45 a.m. Although the plot line is a bit predictable, the twists and the main characters are not. The plus was the author's knowledge of D.C. insider language, which lent credibility and leverage to the story. The book is far closer to 4 1/2 stars, and I hope this author continues what promises to be a wonderful and interesting literary career.
Kathy
Jul 15, 2013 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was a huge bore AND a disappointment. I wanted to strangle the Olivia character for getting involved with sleeze-bag Landon. It all made me wonder whether all politicians are Bill Clintonisque! I was honestly going to give the book three stars since it ended on the high note of Olivia and Jacob leaving the campaign. However, when I read the words "hope and change" at the end? This book dropped to only two stars. And that was being kind!
Pam
Jun 27, 2013 Pam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bridget Siegel is a "Washington insider" who used to work for Hillary Clinton. DA is kind of like a presidential campaign season of The West Wing but with (a lot) less politics. I love The West Wing and this was a good, easy read but not particularly well-written and way too many woefully painful cheesy lines e.g. "How breathtaking is this?...It doesn't even seem real. It's more like someone dropped a movie set down just for us". Lol!
Ally
Dec 25, 2013 Ally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, fiction
This fictional account of a campaign fundraiser's experience on a Presidential campaign was written by a former democratic fundraiser, and recommended to me by a friend who also is a fundraiser who has worked with the author. It was a fun, light chick-lit read which (perfect beach reading on the honeymoon) and did a good job of portraying the craziness of campaigns, and also the trials and tribulations of fundraising.
Stacey Goans
It took me a long time to get into this one. I almost put it down, but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. I hate that I was rooting for an affair, but for a while there, I was. In e end, I'm glad I finished the book, even if it was predictable. Not bad for a summer beach read...if you are interested in politics.
Mocmoc
Aug 22, 2012 Mocmoc rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think this was a free book or maybe I had checked it out from the library...don't waste any money or time reading this book. Unfortunately I read the book from beginning to end only because I'm the kind of reader who has to finish a book no matter how bad it is.
Kathy
Nov 09, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A little election novel that I wrapped up right before the real thing. Looks like the extreme narcissism we all suspect lingers behind the closed doors of political campaigns is probably true.
Jennifer Shorstein
Charming glimpse into the scandals of a presidential campaign. Most interesting that the author has worked on several campaigns, and claims that every anecdote and plot-line is loosely based on true events.
Tracy
Jan 23, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book looks at a the fundraiser of a presidential campaign. You really get a sense of how hard the people on campaigns work. There were some shenanigans that were not believable, but overall, I liked it.
  • The List
  • Wear Your Dreams: My Life in Tattoos
  • Finding Lucas
  • Torn Apart: The Abduction of Gillian Curtis
  • A Girl Like You
  • We Were There: Revelations from the Dallas Doctors Who Attended to JFK on November 22, 1963
  • The Dark Pool
  • For Internal Use Only
  • We Sinners
  • Love Bomb
  • Great-Aunt Sophia's Lessons for Bombshells
  • Capitol Hell
  • Deadly Harvest: A Detective Kubu Mystery (Detective Kubu, #4)
  • The Repeat Year