Start by marking “Studs Terkel's Chicago” as Want to Read:
Studs Terkel's Chicago

Studs Terkel

Studs Terkel's Chicago

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In the tradition of E. B. White's bestselling Here Is New York, Chicago a tribute to the "Second City"--part history, part memoir, and 100% Studs Terkel--infused with anecdotes, memories, and reflections that celebrate the great city.
Chicago was home to the country's first skyscraper (a ten-story building built in 1884) and marks the start of the famed "Route 66." It is a
Published March 1st 2012 by New Press

To ask other readers questions about Studs Terkel's Chicago, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Studs Terkel's Chicago

Adam
This is the least good of Studs’ books I've read. Fellow Goodreadsers’ reviews celebrate this book, noting Studs’ importance to Chicago, his love of Chicago, and the uncharacteristic speaking as himself, rather than as an interviewer of others. Studs’ union with his city is undeniably part of the joy of reading him. But one needn’t read this book to get that. Nor does one need to read this book to hear Studs’ own voice—both the better Touch and Go and the even better Talking to Myself allow us t ...more
Gina
An ode to his beloved city, faults & all. If you love Chicago, you must know of Studs, who takes you in as an old friend & shares stories (his own & other folks') of the city, all the while exposing our humanity in the most profound ways.
Matt Piechocinski
Studs Terkel is yet another reason why my city (Chicago) is better than yours. I thought it was a great oral history of the finest city in the Union, although it did read as a little dated.
Brent
This book is Stud Terkel's tribute to Algren's City on the Make. Terkel tells a meandering series of stories that form a literary Chicago collage. As a Chicago resident it is exciting to follow through the thousands of references he makes to names and locations that are part of Chicago's fabric. There is even a 1 paragraph reference to UNO, my employer.

This book is now 30 years old. Chicago is due or another great literary treatment to continue the lineage of Carl Sandburg, Nelson Algren, and S
James
Studs Terkel's Chicago is a rambling prose poem about his city, and the changes, in a thousand vignettes; his own and others; reeling from flashback to then-current events and back. That's what the book is about, sure, but when literature is good, as this is, it captures something else. In the transitions, in the sound of the language chosen, in the herky-jerky structure from past to future and from one face of this two-faced city between the go-getters and the go-get-it-yourselfers, as Terkel p ...more
Daisy Nancy
A salute to Chicago by one who knew it well
Jason
self-described by studs as an epilogue to algren's Chicago: City on the Make, this prose poem (artfully paired with b&w photos of the city) is pretty extraordinary in its own right. unlike most of his other books, the dominant voice providing the oral history is studs' - a voice that is so clearly his own: wonderful & unique (and which i could read all d*mn day).
Peter
Wonderful prose poem about Chicago by one of its greatest citizens. The book is an intriguing mix of essay, memoir and third-person oral narrative, supplemented by great black and white photographs from the likes of Stephen Deutch, Archie Lieberman, Marc PoKempner and Art Shay. Somewhat of a cousin to Nelson Algren's Chicago: City on the Make, which is fitting, given that Algren was a good friend and hero to the younger Terkel. Essential for any Chicagoan's bookshelf.
Dave
Oh Studs, forgive me. I was just 13 when you published this essay about my favorite city. Yes, of course I am biased, but nevertheless, who can blame me, a city so rich with history brimming with life? But because of my age I suppose, some of the innuendo, some of the reference was above me. But I did enjoy it. I did. Chicago stories really are timeless and you, Studs Terkel, are the most qualified to have filled my head with them.
Joe
Quippy and understated. Terkel hits his best notes when he addresses his personal experiences in the city whose characters' lives he so obviously embraced. From the night of the Joe Louis fight, to the bag lady helping him destroy the newspaper machine, and back to the time he relished music with his ailing father - this rambling stream of consciousness is a gift that proves the unassuming author the most interesting character of all.
Rebecca
Fun to read Studs Terkel while visiting Chicago. This long essay is sort of like poetry, sort of like stream of consciousness, sort of like a conversation with a friend who assumes you remember the back story. A lot of references of things to see (sculpture, architecture) and authors to read--Nelson Algren, Richard Wright, Mike Royko, Saul Bellow, Gwendolyn Brooks.
Kim
Unlike most of Studs' books, he does nearly all the talking here, and it's none the worse for that. There's a little bit of sentimental bilge mixed in, but for the most part it's hard-nosed and lovable.

One caveat: if I hadn't lived in the city, I wouldn't have understood half this book. I lent it to my Mum and she was foxed.
Mary
An absolute delight. The jacket blurb thinks it's mostly for
people who have lived in Chicago, but I'd say it's for anyone
who loves cities and knows what luck it is to have Terkel as a
tour guide. Good, well-chosen photographs too.
Isaac

Can't be objective about this one - it's a portrait of a city I love by an author I love - but in its rambling, anecdotal poetry, it becomes something greater than the sum of its parts.
Magnus
I loved this title. It tells the story of a constantly evolving Chicago and weaves narrative of different into something that shows Chicago! The City that works.
David Davy
A question adroitly asked, if not answered. I expect Nelsen would either be pleased someone was paying attention, or pissed off that someone ripped him off.
Doug
Studs Terkel is one of a kind. This book is gritty, fast-paced, and often stream-of-conscious.
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Gbug
Gbug marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Wendy
Wendy is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Rick Homuth
Rick Homuth marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Stephanie Evans
Stephanie Evans marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • Chicago: City on the Make
  • Lost Chicago
  • The Chicago World's Fair of 1893: A Photographic Record
  • There Goes the Neighborhood: Racial, Ethnic, and Class Tensions in Four Chicago Neighborhoods and Their Meaning for America
  • Heat Wave: A Social Autopsy of Disaster in Chicago
  • The French Connection: A True Account of Cops, Narcotics, and International Conspiracy
  • Frank Lloyd Wright The Houses
  • Murder City: The Bloody History of Chicago in the Twenties
  • American Notes For General Circulation
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Chicago: A Biography
  • Classic Christianity: A Systematic Theology
  • Culinaria: Germany
  • The Anthropology of Turquoise: Reflections on Desert, Sea, Stone, and Sky
  • The Duty of Delight: The Diaries of Dorothy Day
  • Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House
  • Blind Courage
  • Vampire Revealed (King's Blood, #1)
Terkel won the Pulitzer prize in 1985 for his interviews with ordinary people in such books as Working, The Good War, and Hard Times. Often called an Oral Historian, Studs Terkel preferred to be known for playing music on the radio.
More about Studs Terkel...
Working: People Talk About What They Do All Day and How They Feel About What They Do The Good War: An Oral History of World War II Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression Division Street: America Race: How Blacks And Whites Think And Feel About The American Obsession

“Chicago is not the most corrupt of cities. The state of New Jersey has a couple. Need we mention Nevada? Chicago, though, is the Big Daddy. Not more corrupt, just more theatrical, more colorful in its shadiness.” 11 likes