Start by marking “The Higher Education Bubble” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Higher Education B...

Glenn Harlan Reynolds

The Higher Education Bubble

America is facing a higher education bubble. Like the housing bubble, it is the product of cheap credit coupled with popular expectations of ever-increasing returns on investment, and as with housing prices, the cheap credit has caused college tuitions to vastly outpace inflation and family incomes. Now this bubble is bursting.
In this Broadside, Glenn Harlan Reynolds expl
Published June 26th 2012 by Encounter Books (first published June 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Higher Education Bubble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Higher Education Bubble

April
Oct 17, 2014 April rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alarmist and misinformed. The author is so out of touch with higher education administration that many of his comments are laughable, but only to those with a better grasp of reality. Reynolds writes like an embittered white man, and he is an embittered white man, teaching law at the University of Tennessee. His work in this publication has no sources, none. He writes in anecdotes and vaguely refers to articles but there are no sources. Most of the time, he's just wrong.

Problems:

1. Stop buildin
John Wise
Mar 24, 2015 John Wise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Excellent. Highly recommend if you are seeking to make wise decisions for your children's education. Higher education is in for some big changes in the next 20 years. Some of them are scary; most of them are exciting.
Douglas Wilson
Jun 16, 2012 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture-studies
Really good stuff.
Bojan Tunguz
Dec 06, 2012 Bojan Tunguz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The laundry list of problems that the higher education faces these days seems to grow on an almost daily basis. Hardly a day passes that I don’t come across a big article or two lamenting the unsustainability of the current model of higher education. Many writers have correctly pointed out some of the main issues that trouble the higher educational industry – from the rampant drinking culture, over obsession with athletics, to the ever decreasing teaching standards – but the ultimate cause of al ...more
Susan
Aug 08, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Sobering. Spot-on accurate assessment of everything that is wrong in higher education. What Reynolds describes in his book has been happening at every institution of higher learning where I have been enrolled and where I have taught as a post doc and professor. He makes some predictions about where higher education is headed. In some ways, I find his predictions both disconcerting and encouraging. This is a fast little read and worth the time.
Seth
Jun 16, 2012 Seth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The higher education bubble isn't bursting because of a shortage of money. It is bursting because of a shortage of value. The solution is to improve the product, not increase the subsidy."

A brief but excellent description of the higher education bubble, why we got there, what the fallout will be, and some advice on how to weather it. Great stuff.
Melissa
Could have been more detailed. It provided a good foundation for understanding the world of higher education, how industry bubbles form, and why those same bubbles burst.
John G.
Apr 22, 2014 John G. rated it liked it
This book is worth reading, not buying. It's a very light (48 pages), fluffy look at the subject, a bit surprised by the lack of depth and kid glove treatment. The author is a law professor and blogger from The University of Tennessee, he's an academic insider whose status depends on him not being too critical of the hand that feeds him. I think the author had a few naive and optimistic assumptions that can be challenged. He doesn't come out and call it a scam or fraud. If you want a harder hitt ...more
Kai
Aug 23, 2012 Kai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(I was tagging a wrong book, damn...)

It's not a long book, but if offers many insightful observations about how the bubble of American higher education was formed, how it is collapsing, and what it will be like after it's gone.

If we agree with the author of this book that adding value to the society is the only true value of higher education, then, the next question here is how librarians can contribute to this goal. Online open course is definitely one excellent idea.
Leigh
Jul 08, 2012 Leigh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I expected when I decided to read it. It's very true that the university vibe is changing as far as funding. But, I still see this drive from students to "go to college" for bogus and unneeded degrees. We really need to stir up vocational education in our communities; get local businesses too be more involved in training our work force.
Claude Graves
Jul 22, 2012 Claude Graves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and interesting. Don't go into debt if you can help it and study something that will be worth it in the market place(not underwater basket weaving with a focus on women's studies). Not sure if all of his predictions will be borne out, but my call is to work, not predict results.
Ray
Oct 12, 2012 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoughtful and provoking summary of the trendlines in higher education - skyrocketing costs and student debt, with decreasing quality of product. A scary thing for those of us in higher ed to consider, to be sure, but the perspective is very good and reasonable.
Jane
Aug 16, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2012
Cogent and well-written, this short book articulates many of my own concerns about the state of higher education in the U.S. A must-read for any student or parent contemplating taking on debt to pursue a traditional four-year degree.
Jim
Jan 11, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow!
David
Jul 05, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read that provides a good introduction into what issues are at the root of our high higher education costs. The question remains - when will the bubble burst?
Dane
Jan 23, 2013 Dane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Quite good. The better we stop denying the bubble, the better off higher education will be in the long run.
Katie
Oct 11, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice, short synopsis of the state of higher education.
Tim
Jul 23, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone considering college, or working in higher education
The voice of one crying in the wilderness... who will listen?
Brian
Jun 18, 2013 Brian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Anti-intellectual, education-as-utility, conservative claptrap.
Ed Maguire
Jan 27, 2013 Ed Maguire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's here, ready to deflate. A brief read, essential for anyone that has not been paying attention, and not a surprise for anyone who has.
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2017
George
George rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Juvoni
Juvoni rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Kendall
Kendall rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Christopher Mark
Christopher Mark rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Rick Cramer
Rick Cramer rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2014
yc
yc rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • College: What it Was, Is, and Should Be
  • How Colleges Work: The Cybernetics of Academic Organization and Leadership
  • We're Losing Our Minds: Rethinking American Higher Education
  • Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses
  • Student Success in College: Creating Conditions That Matter
  • A History of American Higher Education
  • The End Is Near and It's Going to Be Awesome: How Going Broke Will Leave America Richer, Happier, and More Secure
  • Generation on a Tightrope: A Portrait of Today's College Student
  • "Multiplication Is for White People": Raising Expectations for Other People's Children
  • The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education from the Inside Out
  • Categorically Unequal: The American Stratification System: The American Stratification System
  • Hacking Your Education: Escape Lectures, Save Thousands, and Hustle Your Way to a Brighter Future
  • DIY U: Edupunks, Edupreneurs, and the Coming Transformation of Higher Education
  • College Unbound: The Future of Higher Education and What It Means for Students
  • Reframing Academic Leadership
  • Higher Education?: How Colleges Are Wasting Our Money and Failing Our Kids---and What We Can Do About It
  • College Disrupted: The Great Unbundling of Higher Education