Start by marking “I Want a Dog” as Want to Read:
I Want a Dog

I Want a Dog

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Every kid wants one, but few are as persistent and inventive about getting one – or a substitute for one – as little May. It seems to little May that everybody has a dog except her. She tries everything, even bringing one home, with no success. Then one day she accidentally discovers that a rollerskate can act like a dog, almost, so she works at acquiring the technical ski ...more
Published February 7th 1994 by Tundra Books (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about I Want a Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Want a Dog

JustOneMoreBook.com
You can’t always get what you want, but if you try, try, try again you might enjoy yourself anyway. In a quiet explosion of colour, character and creativity, this book tells us how.

Links mentioned:

* Georges Seurat: A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte
* Archived Sketches (Library and Archives of Canada)

More Art on JOMB:

* Victor and Christabel
* Dogs’ Night

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Jeffrey
Love the book and the NFB film as well but it's really the back story that is what rocks for me as Khlasa takes us back into her childhood in the 50s - together with Tales of a Gambling Grandma, My Family Vacation, How Pizza Came to Our Town and Cowboy Dreams we have a swell collection of books - sadly Tundra has let most of them go out of print

Jan/14 Khalsa's book still rocks each and every time I re-read it - and her illustrations are just magical - full of such exquisite detail
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I am reading When Life Gives You O.J. by Erica Perl with third graders. They found this book and shared it with me. The little girl in this can give Zelly a bit of a run for her money in the "I want a dog" competition. Fun that they found the connection.
Jackie
Jan 30, 2009 Jackie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jackie by: Jennine T.
May wants a dog more than anything else in the world. She begs, she pleads, she whines, she tries to make her parents see her need for a dog. Not until she makes an imaginary dog out of a roller skate and responsibly cares for the dog does her family agree that she is "old enough" to have a pet.
Lisa Vegan
The pictures in this book are amazing, especially if you’re a Seurat fan, which I am. I like the story too. I always wanted a dog when I was a kid.
Amy
Dec 26, 2011 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a dog!
Shelves: children-s-lit
I adore this book!
Oksana
Oksana marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Aug 05, 2014
Eastofoz
Eastofoz marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Kuva
Kuva marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Julie Moussot
Julie Moussot marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
eliana
eliana added it
Nov 21, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Ralph
Ralph added it
Jun 13, 2013
Keeran Raveendran
Keeran Raveendran marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Niruja Jm
Niruja Jm marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
Ellie Washecka
Ellie Washecka marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Jenny
Jenny added it
Feb 24, 2013
How Pizza Came to Queens: (New York Times Best Illustrated Book of the Year) Tales of a Gambling Grandma The Snow Cat Cowboy Dreams My Family Vacation