Start by marking “The Togakushi Legend Murders” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Togakushi Legend M...

Yasuo Uchida
Preview

The Togakushi Legend Murders (Japanese Columbo)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  7 reviews
When the body of one of Nagano Prefecture's most prominent businessmen is found propped against a tree on Poison Plain, home of the legendary Demoness Maple, Inspector Takemura finds himself searching for the killer with the help and hindrance of an esteemed Tokyo professor and a beautiful university student. As the bodies begin to multiply in the sleepy mountain town of T ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Tuttle Publishing (first published May 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Togakushi Legend Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Togakushi Legend Murders

Nesa Sivagnanam

As the bodies begin to multiply in the sleepy mountain town of Togakushi, the three learn that the resemblance of the murders to those of regional folklore is more than a coincidence.

This n
DaRell
Not a bad book. Nice plot. Detective Takemura reminded me of a Japanese Sherlock Holmes: ultra-deductive reasoning and almost an extrasensory intuition but with a jovial optimistic personality that eludes the hardboiled detective archetype completely based on all the detective stories I've read where people go on the brink of insanity trying to find the said serial killer. Takemura, Tachibana, Taki, Kisuke Takeda, Diet Representative Shishido were the most realistic characters of the bunch. Tomo ...more
Angela
One of the biggest things I wanted to do during our Japan trip was get hold of some works by Japanese authors, translated into English. I really wanted to find something by Sakyo Komatsu, since he was after all the author GoH at Worldcon, but unfortunately it seems not many of his books have been translated. Instead, I wound up picking up several mystery/suspense type novels, and the first of these was The Togakushi Legend Murders.

The back cover of this thing says that "This novel will mesmerize
Biogeek
The great mystery ended up being not so mysterious.
Ethan
A solid detective-show like novel, with much of the enjoyment coming from its setting in 1940s and 1980s Japan. The mystery itself is pretty much guessable but the author belabors the explanation, twice over. The novel itself refers to detective shows repeatedly, particularly Columbo, so the author would probably be pleased that it ends up reading like a very good Columbo episode.
Brittany
Not a bad read, but I was expecting more. It reads like the usual detective novel for the most part--dry, a little boring with some exciting bits here and there; but part of me also wondered how the translation affected the work, and that's never a good thing to ask when reading a book in my opinion. In any case, I vastly preferred The Inugami Clan.
Sae-chan
I don't know why, I felt engrossed reading it. With all the legend, the shrine maiden with her red pantaloon and stuff.
영만 장
영만 장 marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
két con
két con marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Emmanuel Lumanta
Emmanuel Lumanta marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Pieter-jan Van haecke
Pieter-jan Van haecke marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Amaranth
Amaranth marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Simmy
Simmy marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Ace Parrish
Ace Parrish marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Hue Lutu vu
Hue Lutu vu marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Sharon Lam
Sharon Lam marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Thomas
Thomas added it
Jun 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Akai Kumo Densetsu Satsujin Jiken Shanhai Meikyu Boku Ga Tantei Datta Natsu bocchan satsujin jiken Kyōshitsu No Bōrei