Start by marking “The Togakushi Legend Murders” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Togakushi Legend M...

Yasuo Uchida

The Togakushi Legend Murders (Japanese Columbo)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
When the body of one of Nagano Prefecture's most prominent businessmen is found propped against a tree on Poison Plain, home of the legendary Demoness Maple, Inspector Takemura finds himself searching for the killer with the help and hindrance of an esteemed Tokyo professor and a beautiful university student. As the bodies begin to multiply in the sleepy mountain town of T ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Tuttle Publishing (first published May 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Togakushi Legend Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Togakushi Legend Murders

Nesa Sivagnanam
Feb 16, 2011 Nesa Sivagnanam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

As the bodies begin to multiply in the sleepy mountain town of Togakushi, the three learn that the resemblance of the murders to those of regional folklore is more than a coincidence.

This n
DaRell
Apr 23, 2014 DaRell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book. Nice plot. Detective Takemura reminded me of a Japanese Sherlock Holmes: ultra-deductive reasoning and almost an extrasensory intuition but with a jovial optimistic personality that eludes the hardboiled detective archetype completely based on all the detective stories I've read where people go on the brink of insanity trying to find the said serial killer. Takemura, Tachibana, Taki, Kisuke Takeda, Diet Representative Shishido were the most realistic characters of the bunch. Tomo ...more
Angela
Dec 22, 2008 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
One of the biggest things I wanted to do during our Japan trip was get hold of some works by Japanese authors, translated into English. I really wanted to find something by Sakyo Komatsu, since he was after all the author GoH at Worldcon, but unfortunately it seems not many of his books have been translated. Instead, I wound up picking up several mystery/suspense type novels, and the first of these was The Togakushi Legend Murders.

The back cover of this thing says that "This novel will mesmerize
Biogeek
Sep 08, 2014 Biogeek rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The great mystery ended up being not so mysterious.
Ethan
Jun 09, 2013 Ethan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid detective-show like novel, with much of the enjoyment coming from its setting in 1940s and 1980s Japan. The mystery itself is pretty much guessable but the author belabors the explanation, twice over. The novel itself refers to detective shows repeatedly, particularly Columbo, so the author would probably be pleased that it ends up reading like a very good Columbo episode.
Brittany
Not a bad read, but I was expecting more. It reads like the usual detective novel for the most part--dry, a little boring with some exciting bits here and there; but part of me also wondered how the translation affected the work, and that's never a good thing to ask when reading a book in my opinion. In any case, I vastly preferred The Inugami Clan.
Sae-chan
Mar 01, 2013 Sae-chan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japanese-writers
I don't know why, I felt engrossed reading it. With all the legend, the shrine maiden with her red pantaloon and stuff.
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Cass Markovich
Cass Markovich rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Jean
Jean added it
Jan 22, 2016
Sarah is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2016
Jack
Jack rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Asd
Asd marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Mary Hewitson
Mary Hewitson rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Y
Y marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Nadine VonTerror
Nadine VonTerror marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Tania Viarnaud
Tania Viarnaud rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Blake
Blake marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Syco
Syco marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Nancy Oakes
Nancy Oakes marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Mike Magee
Mike Magee rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Deborah Meyer
Deborah Meyer marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Lila Meri
Lila Meri marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015