Start by marking “The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword, #5)

The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword #5)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  926 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In the fifth novel of the Sun Sword series, acclaimed author Michelle West returns to a war-torn world of noble houses divided and demon lords unleashed...
Published July 1st 2003 by Daw Books

To ask other readers questions about The Riven Shield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Riven Shield

Crystal
Apr 17, 2008 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcase-3
I devoured this series as whole, so my review of one book has to cover my review of all the books. This is one of my favorite series (and Michelle West is one of my favorite authors). When I finished the series the first time through I was compelled to go back and re-read just the parts that featured my favorite character (Jewel). I keep this series handy, because it's one I reach for time and again when I'm in the mood for a good book. Sometimes I re-read the whole series and other times I just ...more
kvon
May 26, 2008 kvon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Mostly this one is concerned with getting everyone in the right spot for the finale, but there are some good bits with how long to carry a grudge in the face of honor, and Jewel continues to be fascinating as she continues her reluctant path to leadership, of a different sort than her followers are used to.
Wise_owl
Feb 07, 2016 Wise_owl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started the Sun Sword Series over four years ago. It's been a process both of devoting my time to it and of tracking down all the books. This particular one was the most difficult and I can only hope others have an easier time of it than I(and if anybody at the respective publishing house, which is DAW I believe reads this, please publish a few thousand more of these...)

Things are beginning to come to a head in this book. In the previous work, the Sea of Sorrows, I covered how the different s
Laurla2
there are so many characters it gets confusing. especially when there SO many things are similarly named. dont get me wrong, i love the book. i just have a hard time keeping everyone and everything separate.

mareo, marano, marelo, meralonne, marente, marakas, markess, markaso, mancorvo
duarte, duvari, devon, devlin, devran
amar, amara, amarais
annagar, anton, andaro
alessandro, alesso, allasakar
averalaan, avander, averda
kallandras, kalakar, kalliaris, kialli, kiriel

"he knew, now, that he had accompli
Myridian
Jun 20, 2009 Myridian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I always think it's a bad sign when an author intends to finish a series but can't stop writing and feels compelled to add another nearly 1000 page book to the pile. That's what West did with The Sun Sword books 5 and 6. Instead of one book that actually followed the characters in a reasonably efficient fashion that didn't leave me wanting to stop reading before the ending, she chose to write two extremely long-winded tales that cover so little ground for so many characters I felt like she shoul ...more
Düsty
Jun 11, 2016 Düsty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Every book she has written in this series can easily be cut down to 1/3rd its size and you won't miss anything.

The writing is poor, forcibly fancy and to make it worse, things are repeated again and again. The only thing this writer does well is write good characters and its only to know their fate that I keep reading this terrible series. I truly regret ever starting this.

Without a doubt the worst fantasy series I have ever read. Too bad that I care about what happens to kallandras, illarphan
Siraj Shaikh
It might not be too profound, but I got hooked immediately. And apparently I'm not the only one. All in all, this was one of the most entertaining books that I've read.
Leanne Powner
Apr 25, 2016 Leanne Powner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IMO, the best book of the series.
Alyssa
Aug 15, 2016 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy
This is just one of my favorite new (sort of) series, hands down. I love all the characters and I wish there was more than one book left! The themes are interesting and handled well, and the story is always exciting.
Sherryl
May 22, 2012 Sherryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
The prologue was specially good, I would have love to read a stand alone book just focusing on Anya. Sadly, the focus on too many characters made this book a bit unsatisfying.
Betty
Oct 11, 2012 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this world.Michelle West is as good as Frank Herbert at building a complete world.
Joy
Really milked this story to get 600 pages
Misades
Misades rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Lord Eldrich
Lord Eldrich rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Karen Watts
Karen Watts rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Jonathon D Scott
Jonathon D Scott rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Rob
Rob rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Christine Williams
Christine Williams rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Lamandarin
Lamandarin rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Rajni Bagai
Rajni Bagai rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Bernice
Bernice rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Bryna Haynes
Bryna Haynes rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
David Thomas
David Thomas rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Andreas
Andreas rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
  • Lady of Mercy (The Sundered, #3)
  • Cast in Ruin (Chronicles of Elantra, #7)
  • Children of the Lion: Cheysuli Omnibus 3 (Chronicles of the Cheysuli #5-6)
  • Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars, #7)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light and Shadow, #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • Sunderlies Seeking (Ghatten's Gambit, #1)
  • The Golden Sword (Branion, #4)
  • The Children of Wrath (Renshai Chronicles, #3)