Start by marking “Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot, #23)” as Want to Read:
Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot, #23)

Evil Under the Sun (Hercule Poirot Series #23)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  21,373 ratings  ·  553 reviews
Set at the Jolly Roger, a posh vacation resort for the rich and famous on the southern coast of England, Evil Under the Sun is one of Agatha Christie’s most intriguing mysteries. When a gorgeous young bride is brutally strangled to death on the beach, only Hercule Poirot can sift through the secrets that shroud each of the guests and unravel the macabre mystery at this pla ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Black Dog & Leventhal Publishers (first published June 1st 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Evil Under the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evil Under the Sun

And Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieThe Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha ChristieDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie
Best Agatha Christie Book
10th out of 89 books — 667 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
260th out of 4,508 books — 10,338 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
Choose Your Own Adventure!

You are at a posh seaside resort and you are in love with a hot-bodied bitch, and even worse, she is not your wife. You are surrounded by the idle rich and the grasping poor. Matters do not improve once an insufferable little Frenchman, or some such European, insists on butting into your affairs. You already have to deal with your clingy wife, the gorgeous woman you are obsessed with, rumors of murder, the hot hot sun and the illusions that can arise in that heat... and
Jason Koivu
Does a body turn up every time you go to the beach? Do your fellow oceanside resort residents murder one another on a regular basis whenever you vacation on the coast? Then you might be a detective in an Agatha Christie novel.

Evil Under the Sun finds our favorite little Belgian sleuth amongst Summer holidayers, a small sampling of flirtatious women, jealous wives, inattentive husbands and an angsty teen. There are hints of smuggling, drugs and black magic. Will you discover what's going on befor
Luann
Excellent! I love it that Agatha Christie can still surprise me, even with a book I've already read. Although in my defense it has been years and years since I first read it. It seemed the details I remembered to be suspicious of only led me in the wrong direction! :) Dame Christie truly is a master of misdirection!

This is Lost related because it is one of the novels that Sawyer reads on the Island. He is seen reading it when he is approached by Nikki in "Exposé." The edition I've added to my li
Anastasia
C'è il pacco completo anche questa volta, come poterne dubitare?

Scenario invitante come lo era in Assassinio sull'Orient-Express e Dieci piccoli indiani (campioni casuali), abbiamo l'hotel Jolly Roger, un bel mare, una spiaggetta dove Poirot abbronza la sua "protuberanza proprio in mezzo al corpo" (che non è quella che potreste pensare), arcipelaghi di isolette tutte intorno e un sacco di gente in costume che vaga amenamente per la storia. Tra l'altro leggere proprio questo libro a Luglio nell'
Izzy
Agatha Christie was almost ruined for me once by the opinion of an ex. He claimed her detective fiction was worthless due to shoddy construction: clues strewn about left and right, with an eventual grand reveal strung together from seemingly haphazard information. The reader doesn't have a fighting chance of solving the puzzle; it's simply not set up that way. He felt cheated.

I understood -- the books can seem more like a vehicle with which Poirot or Miss Marple can display their formidable sle
Stven
Mar 04, 2009 Stven rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poirot fans
A thoroughly entertaining Poirot mystery, this one will always be associated in my mind with its big-budget movie adaptation and the excellent Peter Ustinov as our favorite Belgian detective. The novel, in which the setting and denouement are crafted rather more sensibly, stands up well in comparison with the movie and deserves your scrutiny.
Tatiana
Evil Under the Sun is my favorite type of a Christie mystery. It is set on an island where a popular seaside resort Jolly Roger is located. At the crux of the mystery is Arlena Stuart Marshall, a red-headed femme fatale/actress/home-wrecker. All men at the resort want her (except her husband), all women hate her. So, of course, when one sunny morning Arlena is found strangled, suspects are in abundance. But don't worry, Hercule Poirot is on the scene and will untangle the mystery. Will the guy e ...more
Carol
Já tinha bastantes saudades do fantástico Poirot e das suas infalíveis celulazinhas cinzentas, que, uma vez mais, não desiludem na resolução deste intrigante mistério.
O detetive encontrava-se, tal como eu, de férias na praia, numa ilha, local bastante calmo e tranquilo, nada propício a um assassinato, mas a verdade é que a bela atriz Arlena Marshall é encontrada estrangulada pelo amante Patrick e por Emily, ambos hóspedes do Hotel onde Poirot desfrutava as suas férias.
Arlena estava na ilha acomp
Ana T.
I really, really love Agatha Christie's stories and on my vacation I read quite a few. Evil Under The Sun was one of them. It is a Poirot mystery and it has a limited number of characters. They, the characters, come together at a seaside resort. With his particular interest in the human character, Poirot analises each personality and it's really interesting to see them through his eyes.

One person that stands out is Arlena Stuart, an actress who seems to captivate every male around with the exce
Mónica Silva
Opinião no blog: http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Poirot e as suas celulazinhas cinzentas voltam a atacar neste livro. Mais uma vez Christie elabora um crime aparentemente insolúvel mas nada constitui um desafio para este grande detetive.

Neste livro surge uma coletânea de personagens variadas e intrigantes. Arlena, uma atriz bela e sedutora, que atrai invariavelmente qualquer homem com que se cruza, chega à costa de Devon com o seu marido Kenneth e a sua enteada Linda Marshall, de 16 ano
There is evil in the air – Poirot he knows it. Even at this exclusive resort, this set apart island, there is evil. He knows there will be a murder done. He even knows who the victim will be – the beautiful Arlena Marshall. But who will kill her? The jealous husband? The unhappy step-daughter? The wife of the man to fall under her charms? Anything is possible, for evil is everywhere.

Discussion.

Christie is a marvel. Here, as in Triangle at Rhodes, she takes a worn out, cliché scenario – the love
Spuddie
This review applies to the audio version.

One of the Hercule Poirot mysteries, read by David Suchet, who plays the detective in the TV series. Poirot is on holiday, at the English seaside in August. No one quite believes he's not there working on something, though. And of course when the body of beautiful former actress Arlena Stewart Marshall turns up on a deserted cove, many suspects--including her husband and her lover--come to the fore as Poirot helps the local police with their 1nquiries. Bu
Chuck
What can I say? An elegant European vacation island island, an eclectic group of wanabees, an Agatha Christie mystery written at her prime [1941] with Hercule Poirot as the sleuth of detective work. The only weakness to this murder mystery is that the solution is so convuluted and difficult to understand that it would have been easier just to shoot the victim. In any case, as with most Christie efforts, very English and clever to a fault.
Clint
May 22, 2012 Clint rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I don't know why I keep reading this Agatha Christie books, even the really good ones take away time I ought to be spending on other stuff, like sleep. This one wasn't so good, the murder happens pretty early on, and then nothing happens after that except talking, talking, talking. Haha, and I bet feminists really hate the last couple of lines, where the badass self-made business woman gives up everything reluctantly to appease the man she loves. Why did I read this again?
Harish Kumar Sarma Challapalli
Sep 06, 2011 Harish Kumar Sarma Challapalli rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fiction, crime thriller,murder mystery- lovers
A very gripping story. Had all the elements required for a crime thriller. Personally felt a little disappointed at the end. Was not satisfied with the explanation of how the mystery was solved.
Nov 23, 2012 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bettie, Carey
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Zut alors! Can't Belgian sleuth Hercule Poirot have a Devon holiday without getting embroiled in a murder? Stars John Moffat.
Beverley Jones
As a crime writer (and avid fan of detective fiction) I'm embarrassed to say I've managed to go a great many years without ever actually reading anything by the grand dame of crime. Yes, I've always had a slightly snotty preconception about the 'cosy', stuffy nature of Christie's stories and their suspected contrivance (albeit, she founded most of the 'cliches' of the genre we know today).

So I cant tell you how pleasantly surprised I was to read this little gem on holiday in Devon (only a few m
Alexander Arsov
Agatha Christie

Evil Under the Sun

Harper, Paperback, [2001].

12mo. 320 pp. Agatha Christie Signature Edition.

First published, 1941.
Agatha Christie Signature Edition, 2009.

============================================

I am among the spoiled ones who came to this book through the 1982 movie starring Peter Ustinov as the legendary Belgian sleuth. So I got curious to read something by the Queen of Crime and see if she is really that good on paper. Well, yes and no, but definitely more "yes" than "no".
Cheryl
Hercule Poirot, insurance investigator, Belgian wonder-sleuth, and proper gentleman visits the Jolly Roger, a resort on the southern coast of England in EVIL UNDER THE SUN. Imagine Poirot partaking of the pebble beach in swim attire. With his ample girth, there's much to cover up, as it is for the murderer who strangles Arlena Marshall, a waning movie star who attracts the attention of both sexes in very different ways.

Who could have wanted Ms. Marshall dead? Could it be her newlywed husband, wh
Aaron
Agatha Christie is thus far the only female author which I read, and indeed the only other woman besides my wife that I return to again and again for pleasure. Within Christie's writings—such as within "Evil Under the Sun"—we find such unique pleasantries of minutiae as the description of the quality of a man's briar pipe; of the tired old stories of a retired officer—Major Barry—who fought in India; of the dual nature of men; of waxed mustaches...

I first saw, a while back, the Poirot made-for-T
Nofuture
Po špionážnom thrilleri som si od pani Christie doprial jednu poirotovku. Ja tohto belgického mužíčka skrátka môžem a vždy sa nájde niečo, čím zaujme.

Malé ospalé anglické letovisko, pánu bohu za chrbtom, na ostrove, ktorý je počas prílivu odrezaný od sveta. Také to, pred ktorým sa slní panstvo v prútených lehátkach a fajnových svetlošedých trojdielnych oblekoch, prípadne dlhosukňových róbach. Mierne obnaženie pokožky je povolené len pri vodných športoch, ale ktorý normálny a rozumný človek by už
Laurel Young
Evil Under the Sun is an excellent early Agatha (1941), and it reminds me strongly of her short novella "Triangle at Rhodes" from 5 years earlier. I wonder if perhaps Dame Christie realized that she had the seeds of a longer piece based around the same theme of Poirot at the beach and a romantic triangle that one has to shake like a kaleidoscope to see from the correct angle.

Characters and setting are all top-notch here. The Jolly Roger Hotel gives us a wonderful picture of what "holidays at th
Andy Plonka
I read most of this author's books years ago so now it is time to revisit a few. The puzzle aspect of the mystery novel has changed over the years, but I believe Ms. Christie is still the master. A locked room mystery for Poirot is always adelight.
Melissa
Emily
Nov 02, 2010 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I can't help but like Christie even though the plots are rather silly at times and Poirot is ridiculous. I'm not a huge fan of the put-all-the-suspects-in-a-room-together-and-flush-out-the-villain endings that she is partial to and uses in this book. I prefer when we get to solve the crime with the detective instead of being treated as the tag a long younger sister who is not in the trust circle.

But even so, there is something to be said for Christie's writing, which flows across the pages so e
Rasha Maghribi
إنها أولى محاولاتي للدخول في عالم أجاثا كريستي المثير
،أذكر عندما كنت في المدرسة أن زميلتي في الصف كانت تحمل رواية بعنوان " جريمة في بيت الطالبات "
وقد عرفت فيما بعد أن روايات أجاثا كريستي الأكثر قراءة على مستوى العالم
وقد بلغ عدد رواياتها التي ترجمت رقماً فاق ترجمة الكتب العربية منذ عصر المأمون بحسب ما قرأت في كتاب " عظماء بلا مدارس "
ولك أن تتخيل الإقبال الشديد على رواياتها بحكم لغتها السهلة وقصصها المثيرة ..
لا أستطيع القول أن روايتها هذه بوليسية مثيرة خالية من أي معنى
إذ استطاعت من خلال مناقش
Jade
As many of Agatha Christie’s characters in her novels already mention to both each other and to our favourite Belgian detective – whether Hercule Poirot is there on business, pleasure, or something else entirely doesn’t really matter. If he’s present, dead bodies will always find a way to turn up.

In Evil Under the Sun it is much the same. Having chosen a secluded hotel on a little island in Devon as his holiday location, Hercule Poirot fully expects to spend some quiet time at sea in the compan
Val
Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K. She was the youngest of three children. She wrote romance novels under the pseudonym Mary Westmacott and was occasionally published under the name Agatha Christie Mallowan but it is for writing Crime Mysteries as Agatha Christie that she is best known.

This story is a traditional crime story solved by one of the author's most famous creations, Hercule Poirot. (Play the game "Name 10 famous Belgians and I'll give you good odds t
Ingrid Fasquelle
Hercule Poirot pensait pouvoir profiter de vacances bien méritées dans une station balnéaire d’une petite île au large des côtes du Devon. Une petite île enchanteresse, un hôtel agréable, une cuisine soignée, des pensionnaires charmants... Tout irait pour le mieux dans le meilleur des mondes si, au milieu des estivants, ne tournait Arlena Marshall, une de ces femmes fatales qui font perdre la tête aux hommes... Lorsque celle-ci est retrouvée assassinée, tous les indices semblent désigner son mar ...more
Tali
After seeing both the Peter Ustinov and David Suchet versions on TV of this book, I had high hopes for this book. And yet despite all that, this book took me four days to read just because I kept stopping halfway through due to boredom. While the details of this mystery are interesting and it's carefully constructed together, I just found myself waiting for the end to come. A good premise and mystery that's just not been put together interestingly.
Agatha Christie L...: October 2013 - Evil Under the Sun 18 81 Oct 17, 2013 12:02PM
  • Bad Twin
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Lancelot
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir
  • Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2)
  • After All These Years
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #2)
  • Champagne for One (Nero Wolfe, #31)
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks
  • Original Sin (Adam Dalgliesh, #9)
  • Agatha Christie
  • The Moon Pool

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“To count - really and truly to count - a woman must have goodness or brains.” 26 likes
“That is what I mean. A bath! The receptacle of porcelain, one turns the taps and fills it, one gets in, one gets out and ghoosh - ghoosh - ghoosh, the water goes down the waste pipe!"
"M. Poirot are you quite mad?"
"No, I am extremely sane.”
8 likes