Start by marking “Dark Woods, Chill Waters: Ghost Tales from Down East Maine” as Want to Read:
Dark Woods, Chill Waters: Ghost Tales from Down East Maine

Dark Woods, Chill Waters: Ghost Tales from Down East Maine

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Forgotten somewhere between Bar Harbor, Maine, and New Brunswick, Canada, lies the most remote and mysterious section of the Eastern Seaboard. It is a region rich in stark beauty-and supernatural lore. The harsh landscape, with its rocky seaside cliffs and thundering surf and miles of dark, mysterious forest farther inland, lends itself to the ghost story. Overlaying the g ...more
Published September 4th 2007 by Down East Books (first published August 16th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Woods, Chill Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Woods, Chill Waters

MLE
A fairly dull collection of gruesome tales that seemed preoccupied with "evil" spirits and haunting. Even things that seemed fairly innocuous, or non-threatening were ascribed threatening or ominous properties. Some of the history was interesting, and I liked that the author talked a lot about the culture, and economics of the region. I think it gave people unfamiliar with the area a better idea of the setting these stories are grounded in. I think a little less sensational approach would have m ...more
Myra
Jun 05, 2008 Myra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the supernatural, paranormal, or with a fascination for the macabre.
Recommended to Myra by: Marcus LiBrizzi
Shelves: adult-lit-2008
Marcus is my advisor at the University of Maine at Machias, so I've heard quite a bit about this from him. His research and gathering of data was quite extensive - it should be a good read. :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

This vibrant little collection of ghost stories centers around the paranormal in Down East Maine. Dark Woods, Chill Waters is a little on the campy side, yet it also is quite capable of invoking that scared-to-pieces feeling in its readers.

For hund
Linda
To enhance the understanding & appreciation of readers who are not familiar with the region, the author may want to consider a couple of maps when printing future editions--one that shows the location of Wash Co w/i the context of the State of Maine and nearby NB & another of the towns & roads mentioned.
J.E. Barrett
A decent collection of ghost stories from Downeast Maine.
Muse Lystrala
A must-read for any fan of folkloric horror.
Tara
Loved it! Of course, I am from Down East Maine and there's nothing I love more than a good ghost story, so this book was right up my alley. :) I do, however, think anyone would enjoy this book no matter where they are from. The stories are short and interesting and LiBrizzi writes from a perspective of "believe" rather than "debunk" which, in my opinion is a lot more fun and a lot more frightening! [[GRINZ]]
dreamer
While there's nothing amazing about the way they were written, some of the tales themselves have managed to make the hairs on my arms stand straight up. (And, I'm not ashamed to admit, made me glad I'm not alone tonight.)

I couldn't put the book down, but I think more than anything it's because these stories are about the area where I grew up.

A fast read, started and finished in about two hours.
Naomi
I read this book in 1.5 hours..it is an incredibly quick read that I think is all of 140 readable pages. What I didn't like about this book is that it is a series of short stories, which I tend not to like..thus my 3 star rating..problem is that most ghost stories are that way so I just have to suck it up!
Liz
Fairly dull. Reading it streaight through isn't recommended. Most chapters warn of grisly or ghastly tales that shouldn't be read alone. My interest was barely peaked. The only reason I gave it two stars is because it did give some information about Down East Maine's geography.
Stacy Kingsley
For a book about ghost stories this was a little dull. It didn't talk as much about the story behind the story as much as it talked about what the possibilities could be. I really wanted a little more history and fact, and a little less supposition.
Lexi
great book and the stories are true!
T.M.
Mar 11, 2009 T.M. added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Washington County & ghosts
Shelves: non-fic
With Dark Woods, Chill Waters, Marcus LiBrizzi offers the reader a unique look into ghost stories from Washington County, the United States' Easternmost coastal communities. Some of these tales are just as hair-raising as any I have ever heard (or read), and I can tell much research went into this book. Highly recommended!
Ellen
Ellen is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2015
Reagan Clark
Reagan Clark marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Gladys
Gladys marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Karlyn Demeritt
Karlyn Demeritt marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
John Schmidt
John Schmidt marked it as to-read
Jody  Julian
Jody Julian marked it as to-read
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ghosts of Acadia Lost Atusville: A Black Settlement From The American Revolution The Nelly Butler Hauntings (Library of Early Maine Literature Book 1)