Start by marking “The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie, #1)

The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,341 ratings  ·  150 reviews
Glasgow, 1946. The last time Douglas Brodie came home it was 1942 and he was a dashing young warrior in a kilt. Now, the war is over but victory's wine has soured and Brodie's back in Scotland to try and save childhood friend Hugh Donovan from the gallows. Everyone thought Hugh was dead, shot down in the war. Perhaps it would have been kinder if he had been killed. The man ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Corvus (first published December 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Hanging Shed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hanging Shed

Lisa
4.8 rounded up to 5 Stars!

This book is an awesome rollercoaster of a thriller/mystery set at the end of WW2 mainly in Glasgow.

photo glasgow-hanging-shed-007_zpseaa2d113.jpg

Douglas Brodie has fought in the war and is damaged and disillusioned living alone in London when an old pal from Scotland contacts him for help...he has been accused of rape and murder and faces the death penalty.

Brodie agrees to meet him and heads back to confront his past before the war; as a child, then a policeman, then as a soldier in the 51st Highland Division.

Lynne
I work as a library cataloguer so see countless books everyday. So… it stands to reason that this is where I find the books I want to read next. Not this time.
I belong to a social networking site called ‘CrimeSpace‘, a place where readers and writers of crime fiction meet. I saw a book recommended by one of MY favourite authors, Shirley Wells. Anything she recommends I am willing to try. I wasn’t disappointed!

"The hanging shed" by Gordon Ferris

“The hanging shed” is the first novel I’ve read by G
Neil
Another new author for me, and I have to say that I was impressed with this book. It is set in post war Glasgow, and follows the steps of Douglas Brodie, who has been recently demobbed from the Army. Initially we catch up with him in London, where he is working as a freelance crime reporter. One morning he receives a telephone call from a childhood friend, Hugh Donovan. Hugh has been accused of abducting children and murdering them, and is now sentenced to be hung. Donovan and Brodie didn't exac ...more
Ian
First novel I've read by this author. I loved his writing style and his use of dialect that really emphasised the gritty nature of post war poverty stricken Glasgow. An intricately plotted tale that grabs your attention but sort of runs out of steam 3/4 of the way though as the hero becomes too much of a superhero for my tastes. Having said that, I would still recommend it and will certainly be trying out another of his efforts sometime soon.
Karen
THE HANGING SHED is a thriller. It's a searing portrayal of post-war Scotland, a haunting story of the personal after-effects of war, dislocation, friendship, loyalties, and mistakes. It's powerful, atmospheric, uplifting, sad, violent, and compassionate.

The central character, Douglas Brodie, is a former policeman, who on returning from fighting for King and Country in the Second World War, secures a job in London as a reporter. News from his native Glasgow that childhood friend Hugh Donovan is
Rob Kitchin
The Hanging Shed has all the ingredients of a successful crime novel - strong characters, a compelling plot, good pace, credible dialogue and action, and good contextualisation and back story. The tale very quickly grabs the reader's attention and the pages fly by. And yet there was something that didn't quite feel right. The storytelling seemed a little formulaic. Ferris structures the story into short chapters, each typically six to eight pages long, with each chapter ending on a mini-cliff ha ...more
Marguerite Kaye
Apparently this is what's now called 'Scottish Noir'. It's not for me. I bought this because of the rave reviews and the fact that it was set in Glasgow in the post-WWII years. It is soaked in 'Glasgow-ness' - in fact, it is drunk on its own ambiance, utterly and completely obsessed with it. At one point early on, there's about three pages of 'banter' thrown in as the main man arrives at St Enoch station - just for the sake of the dialect, as far as I could see. To be honest, this is when it sta ...more
Joe Stamber
Ferris really nails the atmosphere in this gritty mystery thriller set in Scotland just after the Second World War. Brodie left the police force to join up and like many others came back haunted by what he'd seen. After seeking solace in the bottle he found work as a journalist in London and finally brought some order to his life. A phone call from Scotland changed all that and soon he is on his way North to see a man he thought was dead.

The Hanging Shed tranports the reader to 1940s Scotland an
Adam Dunn
This is one of those books that a lot of people read and are going to say they liked. Judging from the reviews, I'm in the minority for disliking it, but I think it's that people aren't looking deep enough.

The best part of the book is the setting. The Scottish accents and words bring the area to life in the 1940's.

There's SPOILERS from here on, so be warned.

First off, the plot. Someone is abusing young boys in Scotland. Three guesses who, first two don't count.

Second, this was read as part of a
Chris Longmuir
Gordon Ferris has written a gritty thriller set in post-war Glasgow. His description of the deprivation of the area, the rats, and the razor-wielding gangs of the Gorbals have the ring of authenticity. This was a time whenTB, rickets, polio, and malnutrition were all part of daily life, and families were often living ten to a room in crumbling tenements, which have now all gone.

His story describes how the main character, Brodie, freshly demobbed from the army and an expoliceman, and now a report
Victoria
I picked this book as the blurb in the product description sounded like something I would enjoy not realising it is the first book in a series. I bought the second book Bitter Water before I finished this one - an indication of how much I enjoyed it - and will be eagerly anticipating the third installment set for publication in Spring 2013.

Gordon Ferris has written a gritty crime thriller set in 1946 Scotland where ex army man Douglas Brodie is asked by childhood friend Hugh Donovan to help solv
Angela
This is the first book I've read by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is based in Glasgow after WWII, a time when Britain was undergoing huge change. It encompassed the atmosphere of the time with believable and likeable main characters. It is an addictive crime thriller and a great start to a new series. One word of advice; Scottish speech is used quite often, so if yon no' familiar wi' it and cannae always understand it, you may get a wee bit frustrated.
Donna
Feb 20, 2012 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Donna by: Dan
Shelves: 2012, library
I enjoyed this book because it was set just after the end of the Second World War so there was no modern technology such as mobile phones. This meant that if someone was in danger they couldn't just phone someone for help or let anyone know where they were.
It begins with a condemned man calling a friend, Brodie, for help after he is found guilty of murdering a child in Glasgow. Brodie helps his friend's lawyer with his appeal but is drawn into the seedy Glasgow underworld. witnesses disappear a
Larry
Brodie returns to Scotland in 1946 after the War to find a friend of his youth awaits death by hanging in a Glasgow prison. Joining with the friend's advocate to try and beat the four-week deadline to prove the wrong man has been convicted, Brodie, fresh from the horrors of the Nazi camps, uncovers an evil, alike in degree if less in scope, in his own country.

THE HANGING SHED is a superb novel. The characters, the dialogue, the Scottish people, the travesty so often made of justice in the legal
Rachel
Thanks to Lovereading for this review copy.
This is a superb book, by turns suspenseful, tragic, weary and world worn but above all original in an increasingly overcrowded crime marketplace. Whereas other writers produce pastiches of tried and established characters, in Douglas Brodie there's a nuanced characterisation that breathes new life into the 'ex-cop with issues' trope and the post World War 2 setting in Scotland gives the story a haunting background that reflects Brodie's inner dialogue.
Penny
This isnt really 'modern' crime - its set post 1940's in the rough parts of Glasgow. An ex-detective returns to Glasgow with his life at a low ebb after the war. He is returning because his old friend is on death row for the murder of the child of his - and the ex-detective's - old girlfriend.

Our main character has to prove his friend's innocence.

The book is fast and slick with plenty of action and nothing turns out as you expect - this is the first of a new series and I will read more of them.
Edel
We are thrown right into the action as the story opens after a serious crime has been committed. Some think that the person who has been accused of the crime(Hugh Donovan) is actually innocent. He quickly needs the help of an ex-soldier/ex -policeman called Douglas Brodie .

The story is set in 1940's in Glasgow and it was very enjoyable seeing the way locals speak, I think Gordon did a great job of making the characters come alive in that way. Some of the details of the crimes are a little hard t
Sue Andrews
This was sent to me by www.Lovereading.co.uk for reviewing and I'm very pleased they did. It's set in Glasgow 1946. Brodie is an ex soldier and policeman struggling to get back into his civilian life as a reporter. He gets a call from an old school friend Hugh, asking for his help. He has been condemned to die in 4 weeks after being found guilty of murdering a small boy. Hugh had been hideously disfigured from being shot down in a burning plane.

The Glasgow described is a grim, poverty ridden pla
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
Nov 30, 2011 Gavin Stephenson-Jackman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves mysteries, and period/historical fiction
This one really tugs at the old heart strings when you first read that the wee one was sexually abused before being deprived of his life. Then to see the trail of innocent lives that are lost due to ineptitude, collusion, and sheer refusal to do the right thing. That the trail of blood is due to the childhood abuse of the perpetrator is so true to life and research into this problem. I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it.
Karen San Diego
The Hanging Shed was good. In fact, I didn't expect it to be this good. I just envisioned some wartime novels involving a war hero and some serial killers but no. I actually found myself very interested with what was going on. To tell you more, this was a lot like Dennis Lehane's plot style. Nothing was as it seemed. Everything was twisted and everybody seemed to know something the hero did not. One thing would lead him to one person, then it would lead him to another, then lead him to someone s ...more
The Crime Scene Scene
The Hanging Shed is the first novel in the Douglas Brodie series by author Gordon Ferris. in 1946 Douglas Brodie returns home and is contacted by an old friend Hugh Donovan who has been charged with the murder of a young boy and is about to be hanged for it. He decides to work with Hugh's lawyer to investigate and uncovers a web of gangsters and police corruption as he struggles to prove his friend's innocence before he is sent to the gallows.

This is a fine example of tartan noir. It is dark and
Susanne
Full of twists and turns which made for an interesting but not an entirely believable story.
Catherine
loved this book set in glasgow.
Phil Altimas
i really enjoyed this book, its moves forward with a good pace , the story is intense and the characters are believable.
it was my first Gordon Ferris book and i will be definitely reading more if they are all of this quality

the use of Scottish slang and dialect for me was not an issue but i can see it could cause issues , for me that added authenticity and a certain quaintness

the interaction between Brodie and Sam was good and left you wanted more from that relationship

the tale has many twists
Tess Harding
The book is set in the later forties in Glasgow. Douglas Brodie is drifting in London after leaving the army when he gets a call from his old friend Hugh (Shug) Donovon. Hugh is in prison, destined to hang for murder. Brodie travels north, reluctant to help because he and Hugh fell out before the war, over a woman. Brodie is rapidly drawn into a world he thought he had left behind as his roots overwhelm him with memories, and also a new world of murdered children, drug dealers and the underbelly ...more
Gordon
I'm sure the author hates the comparison but this is a fresh crime/thriller very much in the style of Ian Rankin's Rebus novels (especially the first). The similarities: Scotland, ex-military efficient protagonist, somewhat tortures past. The differences: Glasgow, not Edinburgh; 1946 not contemporary; semi-journalist not cop.

This book was a pleasure to read except in the gruesomeness of some of the plot elements (no spoilers) which serve to drive the story along but should make any sane and nor
Sho
Dec 12, 2012 Sho rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Michael Gillespie
I read the 2nd Brodie book because I got it as a "deal of the day" for my Kindle*, so I ordered this from their marketplace so I could find out how the Brodie books began. Well, they began with a bang, that's for sure.

In this one, the relatively recently demobbed and near-alcoholic Brodie lives in London barely making a living as a freelance journalist. He gets a call, out of the blue, from an old friend who needs help. Hugh is sitting in Barlinnie jail and will be executed (by hanging, hence th
Liam
"Glasgow 1946. The last time Brodie came home it was 1942 and he was a proud young man in a paratrooper's uniform. Now, the war is over but victory's wine has soured and Brodie's back in Scotland to try and save childhood friend Shug Donovan from the gallows."

This book is the first of hopefully a long line of Douglas Brodie books, written by Scottish author Gordon Ferris. The Hanging Shed introduces us to a man who has seen it all, from his poor upbringing in pre war Kilmarnock and bursary to Un
Helen
This was a book which had you gripped from the beginning. I only began reading it as it was in Amazon’s 1 kindle list but it was definitely a great buy as I finished it in a matter of days. A good crime book with a not so obvious plot however there is some Scottish lingo in it so reading it on my kindle definitely helped as I could look up the words, but there are not enough to ruin the story if just reading it in paperback.
The Plot
It is set in Glasgow in 1946. Douglas Brodie has been contact by
Naomi V
what a page turner! set in post-WWII Scotland, former cop, former soldier Douglas Brodie is called upon to help an old frenemy who is on death row. (i don't think i've ever used the word 'frenemy' before) they were great pals until Hugh stole his first love. now Hugh wants his help and Brodie reluctantly heads back to his home town from his new life as a reporter in London. he starts looking into the horrible crime that his old friend was convicted of, working with the defense attorney, and he q ...more
  • A Dark Redemption
  • Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)
  • I Hear the Sirens in the Street (Detective Sean Duffy, #2)
  • Bloodland
  • Painless
  • Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin, #3)
  • Natural Causes (Inspector McLean, #1)
  • The Long Midnight Of Barney Thomson (Barney Thomson, #1)
  • Where the Bodies Are Buried
  • Lennox (Lennox, #1)
  • Rope Enough (The Romney and Marsh Files #1)
  • The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter (Glasgow Underworld Trilogy, #1)
  • The Harper's Quine (Gilbert Cunningham, #1)
  • Naming The Bones
  • Where the Devil Can't Go (Kiszka and Kershaw, #1)
  • The Diggers Rest Hotel (Charlie Berlin, #1)
  • Wrong Man Running
  • The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1)
I was born on Rabbie Burns' day in the small industrial town of Kilmarnock, in the West of Scotland. My mother took it as a sign of impending literary fortune. Naturally enough, I ignored her, despite writing being the only thing I loved [after rugby and the fairer sex].

I took the long way round to becoming an author. I've been a computer programmer and an executive in the UK Ministry of Defence,
More about Gordon Ferris...

Douglas Brodie (4 books)
  • Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie, #2)
  • Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3 / Danny McRae, #3)
  • Gallowglass (Douglas Brodie, #4)
Pilgrim Soul (Douglas Brodie, #3 / Danny McRae, #3) Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie, #2) Truth Dare Kill (Danny McRae, #1) The Unquiet Heart (Danny McRae, #2) Gallowglass (Douglas Brodie, #4)