Start by marking “The Amazing Adventures of Working Girl: Real-Life Career Advice You Can Actually Use” as Want to Read:

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  27 reviews
59 Chapters. 59 Cartoons. 59 Job Stories. 59 Gems of Job Wisdom.
Published March 31st 2009 by Running Press Book Publishers (first published March 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Amazing Adventures of Working Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazing Adventures of Working Girl

David
The shtick is that she's had 59 jobs and learned a lot along the way, but since she counts newspaper delivery girl at age 10 and so on and so on, part time and summer and temp jobs, etc. this is a less remarkable total than it sounds at first. Somehow the cover and art work and blurbs made me think it would be very funny and contain lots of job stories, but it's actually intermittently funny, with a few good anecdotes (mostly about a foray as young single woman to Paris) and a high quantity of s ...more
Kater Cheek
Karen Burns, AKA "Working Girl" says she's had 59 jobs in her life, and therefore she's an expert at the working world. I kept expecting to see a septegenarian on the back cover, but apparently she counts each freelance assignment as a separate "job." Still, she seems to have some decent advice on subjects such as "dealing with creeps at work" and "how to use persistence to get the job you want."

Some of the advice seems quite good (how to turn your weaknesses into a strength) and some doesn't s
Peg
Working Girl shares one lesson learned from each of her 59 job experiences. I read this book in pieces over a few monthes. The nice thing is you can do that and it works quite well.

For those searching for career advice, this book is easy to understand and topics are well laid out making it easy to jump around. Beware, the answers put forth here may sting a bit such as .. "It Really Is About Who You Know" so "Network, Network, Network" (referring to how one gets a job in a tight market).

Even if
Karen
Short stories, a great and inspirational read for the commute to work. Really makes you look at where you're going and where you've been.
Wendolyn
Feb 14, 2011 Wendolyn marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendolyn by: Internet
Shelves: business
With equal amounts of insight and entertainment,The Amazing Adventures of Working Girl is an ideal tome for any gal, whether she loves, hates, or needs a job. "Working Girl" Karen Burns lists among her 59 (and counting) jobs, stints as model, bank teller, corporate drone, and cigarette girl, and her series of amusing vignettes, supplemented by silly cartoons, offers guidance on everything from managing the boss to surviving burnout. No matter what a working girl's goals are or where she is on th ...more
Margot
I randomly bought this book from the author at a writing conference. (I happened to be very unhappy with my job at the time.) And I found it incredibly enjoyable to read and heartening, as one sometimes facing career tribulations or indecision. The most useful chapter I found was one that included, essentially, a Should You Quit Your Job? quiz. If you answer yes to fifteen or more questions, then yes it's time to quit! This book definitely helps young(ish) rat-racers keep things in perspective.
ayrdaomei
This book is just what the subtitle suggests: a collection of career advice that's practical and pragmatic. Each chapter of the book relates to one of the 50+ jobs the author has held in her life, and from each job, no matter how mundane, the author pulls out some lesson. Ms. Burns is easy to relate to, as are her tales. As someone who hasn't yet found that Ideal Job, I both enjoyed this book, and really think it can be useful. I will try to take her advice to heart.
Mhaine :)))
Its fun to know that you can handle your time effectively and efficiently. Not only that, this book taught me a lot of things. It says there, "Things seems impossible only until you try them". It reflects your perseverance on attaining something you like. How deal with people around you, co-workers and you're boss. How to be yourself and how to make authenticity at the workplace. It MUST be READ book! Enjoyed!
Carrie
I think all women/girls should read this book before entering the working world. Burns gives great, down to earth, practical advice for working to help them survive in the workforce. There is everything in here from how to get a job to how to leave a job and everything in between. I really enjoyed reading this book. Even though this book will give you some seriously good advice, it has it's LOL moments too.
Melody Michelle
I loved reading this little book! The chapters are short, entertaining, and contain actual good advice. If you're a 'working girl' I think this book is worth your time. Not every chapter is going to address your specific needs or wants. However, those chapters are still interesting and short enough to keep your attention. This is a quick good read. Add it to whatever is already on your list!
Betty
Had some useful advice-- I liked the fun-loving approach in discovering what you really want to do. It's a serious enterprise but being open, persistent and willing to take risks matters too.
"You achieve happiness by being more of what you are, not less" (187)
"Learn to connect with people in an authentic way and you will always have a job" (250)
Tania Scutt
The author happens to be one of my favourite people but even if she wasn't, I'd recommend this well written, entertaining and helpful book. It's a gem for all ages. The stories are interesting, the advice is practical and realistic and the illustrations (by the author) are amusing.
Sound, sensible advice that will not date. No gimmicks here.
Heather
Oct 25, 2010 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anni
Shelves: nonfiction
Great tips for all sorts of aspects of work life- from the job search to managing your boss to quitting with class, it's all there.

A noteworthy couple of the "eternal truths' she cites every chapter:
Self-confidence is the memory of success.
The farther out of your comfort zone you leap, the more people will step forward to catch you.
Ilana
Cute, quick read. I felt it was inspirational and upbeat without being too "find your inner whatever" or too "I have the perfect job because I got the perfect education."

Definitely something I would buy (got it from the library) for when I need those pick-me-ups when the going gets tough.
Amanda Nan Dillon
3.5 stars. The book is short and sassy and covers topics broadly. She puts all the useful professional advice in one book and makes it easy to read. Could've use a few more activities for the reader.
Work advice, written in a non-painful manner. Karen Burns manages to keep the chapters short and fairly witty. Not what I hoped it would be, but still entertaining.
Allisonperkel
Prepackaged from a ton of other books only with less fun "anecdotes". I also really didn't like how the author constantly referenced herself as "working girl".

Katie
I think I'm going to have to buy this book! Helpful tips no matter what job you have & even if you love your current job & aren't looking for one.
Britt
cute and a lot of stuff i already knew but needed a refresher however there were some things that opened my eyes a bit :)
Miss Mouse
Really, really good info, for anyone just starting out or if you've been in the workforce a while.
Virginia
It's entertaining and fun to read. Great advice on the work related department!
Joy
This author lives in Seattle and will be reading from her book tonight.
Amanda
Fantastic career advice! I only wish I'd read it a few months earlier :)
Amie
Already loving this book. It's helping me with my career thoughts. :)
Wendy
Who knew that a career-advice book could be so much fun? And useful, too?
Roxanne Sapitan
Roxanne Sapitan marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Stay tuned for RULES FOR THE PERPETUAL DIET (Booktrope 2015), a new novel about food, Paris, and finding yourself--coming out in December 2014.

K. S. R. Burns, writing as Karen Burns, is also the author of THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF WORKING GIRL: Real-Life Career Advice You Can Actually Use (Running Press 2009).
More about K.S.R. Burns...
Rules for the Perpetual Diet