3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  19 reviews
59 Chapters. 59 Cartoons. 59 Job Stories. 59 Gems of Job Wisdom.
Published March 31st 2009 by Running Press Book Publishers (first published March 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Amazing Adventures of Working Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazing Adventures of Working Girl

Karen
Short stories, a great and inspirational read for the commute to work. Really makes you look at where you're going and where you've been.
Margot
I randomly bought this book from the author at a writing conference. (I happened to be very unhappy with my job at the time.) And I found it incredibly enjoyable to read and heartening, as one sometimes facing career tribulations or indecision. The most useful chapter I found was one that included, essentially, a Should You Quit Your Job? quiz. If you answer yes to fifteen or more questions, then yes it's time to quit! This book definitely helps young(ish) rat-racers keep things in perspective.
ayrdaomei
This book is just what the subtitle suggests: a collection of career advice that's practical and pragmatic. Each chapter of the book relates to one of the 50+ jobs the author has held in her life, and from each job, no matter how mundane, the author pulls out some lesson. Ms. Burns is easy to relate to, as are her tales. As someone who hasn't yet found that Ideal Job, I both enjoyed this book, and really think it can be useful. I will try to take her advice to heart.
Carrie
I think all women/girls should read this book before entering the working world. Burns gives great, down to earth, practical advice for working to help them survive in the workforce. There is everything in here from how to get a job to how to leave a job and everything in between. I really enjoyed reading this book. Even though this book will give you some seriously good advice, it has it's LOL moments too.
Melody Michelle
I loved reading this little book! The chapters are short, entertaining, and contain actual good advice. If you're a 'working girl' I think this book is worth your time. Not every chapter is going to address your specific needs or wants. However, those chapters are still interesting and short enough to keep your attention. This is a quick good read. Add it to whatever is already on your list!
Tania Scutt
The author happens to be one of my favourite people but even if she wasn't, I'd recommend this well written, entertaining and helpful book. It's a gem for all ages. The stories are interesting, the advice is practical and realistic and the illustrations (by the author) are amusing.
Sound, sensible advice that will not date. No gimmicks here.
Heather
Oct 25, 2010 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anni
Shelves: nonfiction
Great tips for all sorts of aspects of work life- from the job search to managing your boss to quitting with class, it's all there.

A noteworthy couple of the "eternal truths' she cites every chapter:
Self-confidence is the memory of success.
The farther out of your comfort zone you leap, the more people will step forward to catch you.
Ilana
Cute, quick read. I felt it was inspirational and upbeat without being too "find your inner whatever" or too "I have the perfect job because I got the perfect education."

Definitely something I would buy (got it from the library) for when I need those pick-me-ups when the going gets tough.
Amanda Nan Dillon
3.5 stars. The book is short and sassy and covers topics broadly. She puts all the useful professional advice in one book and makes it easy to read. Could've use a few more activities for the reader.
Work advice, written in a non-painful manner. Karen Burns manages to keep the chapters short and fairly witty. Not what I hoped it would be, but still entertaining.
Allisonperkel
Prepackaged from a ton of other books only with less fun "anecdotes". I also really didn't like how the author constantly referenced herself as "working girl".

Britt
cute and a lot of stuff i already knew but needed a refresher however there were some things that opened my eyes a bit :)
Miss Mouse
Really, really good info, for anyone just starting out or if you've been in the workforce a while.
Virginia
It's entertaining and fun to read. Great advice on the work related department!
Joy
This author lives in Seattle and will be reading from her book tonight.
Amanda
Fantastic career advice! I only wish I'd read it a few months earlier :)
Amie
Already loving this book. It's helping me with my career thoughts. :)
Wendy
Who knew that a career-advice book could be so much fun? And useful, too?
Danni
Danni marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Shawna Hoffman
Shawna Hoffman is currently reading it
May 01, 2014
Anika
Anika marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Dezanise Nails
Dezanise Nails marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Amazing Adventures of Working Girl: Real-Life Career Advice You Can Actually Use The Amazing Adventures of Working Girl: Real-Life Career Advice You Can Actually Use The Hands That Feed Us: 100 Years At The Rochester Public Market