Start by marking “Pregnancy for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Pregnancy for Dummies

Pregnancy for Dummies

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In Pregnancy For DummiesDr Sarah Jarvis takes the reader through pregnancy, trimester bytrimester, following the baby's growth and describing medical issues that might ensue.This UK edition includes information on: Getting the best care from the NHS for you and your babyWelfare benefits for mothers and mums to be.The newborn babyTaking care of yourself after deliveryChoosi...more
Published February 18th 2011 by For Dummies (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Pregnancy for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pregnancy for Dummies

Julie
please read this book with a skeptical mind. or at least just know that it is skewed very heavily towards a technocratic approach to childbirth. readers should be warned that the information is coming from two obstetricians with a very strong medically-oriented bias. as was pointed out by another reviewer, i found some statements that are absolutely not true: one is the authors' claim that pitocin does not lead to more painful contractions; the second is that giving birth in the lithotomy positi...more
On page 158 this book declares that "It is a common misconception that oxytocin makes labor more painful. It does not." And then, on page 159, "Again, the contractions produced as a result of this augmentation are no stronger and no more painful than contractions that occur during a spontaneous labor."
I'm assuming that was written by Keith Eddleman, M.D. It was obviously not written by a woman who experienced both, and would actually know what she was talking about. As my dad would say: "Do you...more
Heather
I have chosen not to read What to Expect While You're Expecting while pregnant. I have heard over and over that it's effusive information can make a mom-to-be worry more than is necessary. I know my own propensity to worry, and decided to deny myself the opportunity.

That said, this book is PERFECT to prepare for pregnancy. Granted, I'm not there yet, so that remains to be seen, but the book is informative yet concise, realistic yet supportive, and narrative yet organized. I highly recommend it.
Rebecca
This book was recommended after I complained how uninformative "Very Popular Pregnancy Book" was. It repeatedly gave broad, bland statements then said "ask your doctor". Pregnancy for Dummies IS asking your doctor! It is full of reasonable advice and invaluable information. The "For Dummies" format with the icons for organizing information is superb. I especially liked the "Don't Worry" icons. This allows for an excellent balance of information and common sense. Another great organizational feat...more
Megan
I love this book! I think that title might have people questioning whether to pick it up but since I have little experience with newborns I found it extremely helpful. It has clearly labeled sections that made it really easy to find what I was looking for. I also felt that it focused on what moms to be really need to know and it was not designed just to scare them. I also felt that it was very easy to read and understand. Thus far, it has addressed all of my mommy concerns!
Amanda
I bought this book for my first pregnancy and read it cover to cover. It really helped me understand what was going on with my body and answered any question I could think up. It was a wonderful read and was written in a quirky, humorous writing style that held my interest. I haven't found many informative books like that. I'd recommend it to any first time preggos (or even if it's your second or third go-around!)
Orsi Nagy
Alapvetően informatív könyv, viszont voltak azért benne túlkapások. A legdurvább talán, amikor először közli, hogy a pár hónapos (anyatejen élő) gyerek mellett nyugodtan lehet fogamzásgátlót szedni, majd pár sorral lejjebb arról ír, hogy természetesen minden gyógyszerből valamennyi továbbadódik a babának. Van épeszű nő, aki ezt nem tudja fejben összerakni?

Amerikaiaknak íródott, és ez látszik is, sokszor az én ízlésemhez képest túlságosan szabadelvű, pl. "ne szoptass, ha nincs kedved, vagy ha irt...more
Rocio
Muy informativo! Lei partes para un trabajo de investigacion y me parecio un libro completo e interesante! Contiene informacion medica que ayuda a la mujer entender procesos normales y anormales a la vez. El libro explica las cosas de una manera que la futura mama pueda entender y da buenos consejos para prevenir ciertas complicaciones durante el embarazo. Creo que toda mujer deberia leer Embarazo para Dummies para prepararse y descubrir mas sobre esta hermosa etapa de la vida!
Julie Mayne Barschow
I bought this book for full-price at Borders with no coupons the day after I found out I was pregnant. If you know me, you know I rarely buy books new without coupons. Well, I was feeling a bit anxious and needed somewhere to unravel the thoughts and questions attacking my mind. This book definitely helped! Thanks to Heather for recommending it!
Jostalady
This book should be avoided. They made a video based on it, avoid that too! You will end up with every medical intervention possible and won't come to appreciate childbirth for what it can really be.
Melissa
Oct 21, 2007 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: first time moms
Very informational. Not like those hard to understand big word books. Good reference book for first time moms.
Andrika
this is a great booking to accompany me during my 1st pregnancy. it tells you what other people don't!
Ashley
Another very helpful, concise, informative resource. Good for just sayin' it like it is!
Tressa
Sep 05, 2007 Tressa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone expecting
I would recommend using this book along with What to expect when you are expecting.
Monica
Gag gift from my brother and mom but still had some great advice and guidelines
Holly
I refused to read What to Expect When You're Expecting. I read this instead.
Rachel
Very informative and written from the health care professionals perspective.
Tammy
I recall the day when I had this book hidden under my couch.
Lynsey
Very thorough - to the point that I no longer want to bear children!
Mehrnaz
Apr 21, 2007 Mehrnaz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have bought this book in farsi and am planning to read it soon!
Tracy Morton
It's for dummies so it is pretty easy to follow.
Hector Maldonado Maldonado
Ya de por sí con terror... El libro relaja mucho.
Lin
Jun 09, 2012 Lin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lin by: cathy
Shelves: pregnancy
lent to me by cathy as good overview book.
Karie
Wasn't as helpful as "What to Expect...".
Bobby
Mar 04, 2008 Bobby rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: future parents
Yes, I actually read this book. I didn't think I would be able to get through any of my old OB text books and I figured this would be great for Lisa as well. It's actually pretty detailed and not as dumbed down as you would expect.
Rebs Fl
Rebs Fl is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2014
Chanel Stafford
Chanel Stafford is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Women's Health for Life: Written for Women by Women; Symptoms, Treatment, Prevention Chef Ben Diabetes for Dummies God's Little Book Of Hope Diagnostícate-- Mujeres