Start by marking “Deadly Inheritance: An Ursula Grandison Mystery” as Want to Read:
Deadly Inheritance: An Ursula Grandison Mystery

Deadly Inheritance: An Ursula Grandison Mystery (Ursula Grandison #1)

American Ursula Grandison accompanies Belle Seldon to visit her sister, Helen, Countess of Mountstanton, commissioned by their father, multi-millionaire Chauncey Seldon, to discover what is wrong with Helen's marriage and what has happened to her dowry. At decaying stately Mountstanton House, Ursula finds the Earl is a cold fish, the Dowager Countess of Mountstanton the mo ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by History Press (SC)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Inheritance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Inheritance

Jo Woolfardis
May 07, 2014 Jo Woolfardis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, feminine
Something was not quite right, perhaps the writing, perhaps the characters, perhaps the setting. It did not draw me in, neither did I care to listen to any more stereotypes laced within obvious elegant Edwardian England from an American POV.
Sarah Freeman-langford
Firstly , I won this book as a Goodreads Giveaway, my first win and I was excited to receive the book. it arrived very quickly and in absolutely excellent condition. the actual hard copy of the book is beautifully presented and very good quality so much respect needs to go the the publishers for this.

Onto the review then - The setting for the novel is early Edwardian England in a fairly dilapidated but grand stately home. The main narrator for the book is an American companion to a young girl wh
Johanne
Aug 08, 2012 Johanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted a well written page turner after a run of largely thought provoking but chewy books. Thats exactly what I got. A historical mystery sent in Edwardian England with a well thought out and engaging heroine, some believeable writing and a nice twist. I suspect this is going to be the first of a series. I'll also look out for more by this author who, despite the fact that she has been chair of the crime writers association and a visiting writer at various places, I had never come across prev ...more
Doreen
Aug 18, 2012 Doreen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Ursula Grandison is an American sent over to England to chaperone a young American heiress. As such she's an outsider looking in at late Victorian society.

There are murders, and when it's just the case of a servant nobody much seems to care apart from Ursula and one other. But, as they do, the murders proliferate. The plot managed to keep me fooled for most of the book, and there is a really unexpected twist at the end. Highly recommended.
Tim
With all the modern day crime novels flooding the shelves it's easy to forget the wonderful 'ever so correct' turn of the last century investigations but Janet Laurence brings them back with a vengence. I thought I was reading a straight forward who done it in the style of Agatha Christy but it turned out there was so much more and this book truly gripped me.

My copy was free via Goodreads giveaways.
Claire Reeder
May 11, 2014 Claire Reeder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
I really enjoyed this book. I don't usually read historical fiction but I won this via a Goodreads giveaway and found it thoroughly entertaining. The author manages to draw you into the story with ease. I found the characters very believable and could easily picture scenes, what the characters were wearing etc. A great book highly recommended.
Ali
Oct 12, 2014 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every stereotype ticked, but a very entertaining read. I will now search out her previous Darina Lisle series.
Deb
Jul 29, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ursula Grandison is an intelligent 20 something American in 1903 England. She helps solve the cases set on an old English estate and in the end, finds out more about herself.
Evie
Jan 14, 2014 Evie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. A great story with a believable heroine and a sufficiently twisty plot. Janet Laurence can write!!
Tessa
Oct 31, 2015 Tessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very intriguing mystery full of twists.
Maryann
Aug 09, 2012 Maryann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this very much and look forward to more in the series.
Margo Embury
Margo Embury rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Susan Taylor
Susan Taylor rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Cinzia
Cinzia rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2014
fatima zubair
fatima zubair rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
Laurel Malialis
Laurel Malialis rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Muriel
Muriel rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Colin
Colin rated it it was ok
Sep 20, 2016
Anna Astolat
Anna Astolat rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Fiona Adams
Fiona Adams rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2017
Lisa Fairhurst
Lisa Fairhurst rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2012
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Karen Heskins
Karen Heskins rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Penelope
Penelope rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2013
Lisa Fairhurst
Lisa Fairhurst rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2012
Ulrika
Ulrika rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2014
Janet Bridgewater
Janet Bridgewater rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2015
Pigletto
Pigletto rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Janet Laurence also writes cookery books and one of her creations in the detective genre is Darina Lisle, a cook and caterer.

She has written 10 novels featuring Darina Lisle between 1989 and 2001. The first was 'A Deepe Coffyn (1989) and the last to date was 'The Mermaid's Feast (2001).

She is also the creator of the Canaletto series of mysteries, set in 18th century London. There are three in the
More about Janet Laurence...

Ursula Grandison (2 books)
  • A Fatal Freedom: An Ursula Grandison Mystery (The Ursula Grandison Mysteries)