Start by marking “Life as a Victorian Lady” as Want to Read:
Life as a Victorian Lady

Life as a Victorian Lady

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Presented in a small gift book format, this series offers books that intend to take the reader back in time and show them what it was really like to be a Victorian Lady, what sights and smells would be around them, and what day-to-day life would involve in terms of food, clothing, living quarters, kitchens, and more.
Published September 1st 2011 by History Press (SC) (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Life as a Victorian Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life as a Victorian Lady

A pleasant, short read about the topic that I very much enjoy learning about. Therefore, I can't rate the book without a strong dose of bias. Majority of the book was composed of quotations taken from 19 century sources named-by-name, which should probably signalize to me that not much effort was put into this work and it's informative value is meager. However, personally I enjoyed reading it despite that and, as a next step, I'm going to check out some of the aforementioned sources, existence o ...more
Victoria Szulc
The length of this book reminds me of the cliff notes version of a good novel. There is plenty of interesting tidbits of Victorian womens' lives, but for a serious researcher, not quite enough detail is included. I did enjoy learning a few things and would recommend it as a primer to Victorian ladies history.
patricia adams
Very short and not as educational as I hoped

this book barely skimmed the surface of a Victorian ladies life. interesting but without depth. attire would have been interesting.
A short, interesting look into the life of Victorian woman. This is not a scholar's reference; however it's a good start if you're interested in the period. An easy read for a summer's day.
I don't even remember what I thought of this. Historical novels are a guilty pleasure of mine and I thought some historical background would be useful.
Anna Dale
very interesting book, it offers an insight into what it meant to live as a Victorian Lady.
Laura Lee
Skimpy, more like a pamphlet really.
a quick enjoyable read about life as a Victorian lady, with the added bonus that the author gives some information about the middle-class or not just the extremely wealthy. The author has written extensively on the Victorian era, so I presume all her quotations are from primary sources that she has encountered; I wish however, she would have provided better citations, as currently none exist at all.
An easy to read good introduction to the topic with lots of anecdotal examples. I read it in one sitting!
More of a collection of essays, I cannot imagine myself ever referring back to the book.
Stephanie is currently reading it
Nov 27, 2015
Sue marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Emma Dargue
Emma Dargue marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Sara is currently reading it
Nov 23, 2015
Kathe Masterson
Kathe Masterson marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Therese Heaume
Therese Heaume marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Lina marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Kajsa marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Emily added it
Nov 14, 2015
Will Pascoe
Will Pascoe marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Porsha marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Behind Jane Austen's Door
  • Daily Life in Victorian London: An Extraordinary Anthology
  • The Essential Handbook of Victorian Etiquette
  • Life in a Medieval Castle
  • Daily Life In Victorian England
  • Life in a Tudor Palace (Sutton Life)
  • Victorian and Edwardian Fashion: A Photographic Survey
  • The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in Regency and Victorian England
  • A Brief History of Life in Victorian Britain
  • Ancient Rome: From the Earliest Times Down to 476 A.D.
  • Wild Women: Crusaders, Curmudgeons, and Completely Corsetless Ladies in the Otherwise Virtuous Victorian Era
  • Victorian London: The Tale of a City 1840-1870
  • Upstairs & Downstairs: The Illustrated Guide to the Real Life of Masters and Their Servants from the Victorian Era to the Second World War
  • Consuming Passions: Leisure and Pleasure in Victorian Britain
  • Broadmoor Revealed: Victorian Crime and the Lunatic Asylum
  • Life Below Stairs: in the Victorian and Edwardian Country House
  • Between Women: Friendship, Desire, and Marriage in Victorian England
  • Censoring Queen Victoria: How Two Gentlemen Edited a Queen and Created an Icon
Pamela Horn is an historian specialising in Victorian social history. The author of acclaimed books on rural life, servant lives and childhood, she lectured on economic and social history at Oxford Polytechnic, now Oxford Brookes University, for over twenty years.
More about Pamela Horn...

“In 1895 Lady Londonberry commented acidly on a bridegroom who had 'married the 10,000 a year as well as the lady.” 5 likes