Start by marking “Life in a Tudor Palace” as Want to Read:
Life in a Tudor Palace

Christopher Gidlow

Life in a Tudor Palace

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This book lets us take a tour round a courtly palace and peep around each door, as we encounter the kitchens, the bakery, the laundry, the bedrooms, the gardens and the privvies! Everything you could wish to know is here, as the book describes the different lifestyles of the court, and the people who served them.
Published September 1st 2011 by History Press (SC) (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Life in a Tudor Palace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life in a Tudor Palace

Crystal Lee
I absolutely loved this book! It’s a resource I will continue to use for many years to come as I continue to write about that intriguing man, Henry VIII, and what happened at his court.

The author did a great job of never wasting my time. He presented the facts in a wonderful way, based on different time periods in the palace, and explained what would be happening in a typical day. I learned things I’d either forgotten, or had never heard before.

For example… My favorite new piece of information I
John
Great little book to stick in your pocket or purse when you're doomed to spend time in a waiting room. Intriguing details of domestic life with Henry VIII, who had to feed about 800 people every day. Check Daedalus Books for remainder copies.
Bridgett
My thoughts:

This is a very short read, but packed full of information! I enjoyed this book, and feel that it will be a great resource that I will use often in the future. I recommend it to anyone who would like to learn more about what it would have been like to live in castles during Tudor times. It's short, but packs a punch!
Sue
It's okay; I just wish people would remember that Henry VIII wasn't the only member of the Tudor family.
Hristina Ivanova
A very short, yet nice and informative read. I liked the cheeky comments here and there. Recommend!
Courtney
Quick, fun, interesting.
Amanda
A quick glance into the basic life of people at court during Henry VIII's reign. Discusses the roles of the people of the palace on a regular day-to-day basis. Also discusses the Eltham ordinances set out in 1526 by Cardinal Wolsey and their effect on the court functioning in early Tudor times.
Stephanie
An interesting (and brief!) summary of exactly what the name implies. I only wish there had been pictures (such as floor plans) so literally illustrate what the author was describing.
Preety
A short, easily readable, and highly useful book for weaving all the little snippets of Tudor palace life I had known before into one integrated and coherent whole.
Hector Diaz
I expected a bit more, but this fast glimpse of every day life Washington Ok. Read it if you are interested in the Tudor's
Amanda

Very useful book. It explained the titles and reaponsibilities of everyone. Also a timeline of daily life.
Kristin Sinclair
Great little book. Extremely informative and easy to read. Highly recommended.
Rebecca
Reads like an essay more than a real book on historical fact.
Ceil Sienicki
Interesting short read.
Robin Deffendall
Robin Deffendall marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Lincy Joseph
Lincy Joseph marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Janice Hansen
Janice Hansen marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
905_schrama
905_schrama marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Jessica Burrows
Jessica Burrows marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Abby Rose
Abby Rose marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Sadie Wright
Sadie Wright marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Dawn Bradman
Dawn Bradman marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
  • The House of Tudor
  • Queen Victoria's Children
  • Henry VIII: Man and Monarch
  • A Brief History Of The Tudor Age
The Reign of Arthur: From History to Legend Revealing King Arthur: Swords, Stones and Digging for Camelot