Start by marking “Life in a Tudor Palace” as Want to Read:
Life in a Tudor Palace

Christopher Gidlow

Life in a Tudor Palace

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This book lets us take a tour round a courtly palace and peep around each door, as we encounter the kitchens, the bakery, the laundry, the bedrooms, the gardens and the privvies! Everything you could wish to know is here, as the book describes the different lifestyles of the court, and the people who served them.
Published September 1st 2011 by History Press (SC) (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Life in a Tudor Palace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life in a Tudor Palace

Crystal Lee
I absolutely loved this book! It’s a resource I will continue to use for many years to come as I continue to write about that intriguing man, Henry VIII, and what happened at his court.

The author did a great job of never wasting my time. He presented the facts in a wonderful way, based on different time periods in the palace, and explained what would be happening in a typical day. I learned things I’d either forgotten, or had never heard before.

For example… My favorite new piece of information I
John
Great little book to stick in your pocket or purse when you're doomed to spend time in a waiting room. Intriguing details of domestic life with Henry VIII, who had to feed about 800 people every day. Check Daedalus Books for remainder copies.
Mary Josefina Cade
Short but helpful book for anyone interested in Henry V111 and dictators generally. If everything is arranged around YOU, it would be impossible to remain balanced. Special food, being dressed by others, everyone bowing and scraping plus a 'groom of the stool'.... Can't bear to think what this poor aristocrat had to do. Every morning.

On the evidence of this book, the king was thoroughly spoilt. No wonder Henry had tantrums when he couldn't get his own way. 'Life in a Tudor Palace' is written in
Misty  McAnally
Very informative

Several reviews have already stated that this book is a bit dry. I get the feeling that this is intentional. This is not a book about the drama and intrigue of Henry's court. It is a painstaking, hour by hour account of a purely typical day. The differences from castle to castle are touched upon as are the differences between the Queens but all is averaged out to show as typical a non-feast day as possible. If read as a page from a daily journal of household management, then this
Bridgett
My thoughts:

This is a very short read, but packed full of information! I enjoyed this book, and feel that it will be a great resource that I will use often in the future. I recommend it to anyone who would like to learn more about what it would have been like to live in castles during Tudor times. It's short, but packs a punch!
Carole Cox
Well researched.

This is an apparent detail of life in a Tudor Palace. As I had just watched a video of Hampton court, I am left with a strong feeling of how a day went during the time of Henry VIII.
Janina Barlow
A gem of a little book taking you though a typical day at Tudor court, I enjoyed this and would like it to have been longer but for 59p (kindle price) was a nice quick informative read.
Sue
It's okay; I just wish people would remember that Henry VIII wasn't the only member of the Tudor family.
Hristina Ivanova
A very short, yet nice and informative read. I liked the cheeky comments here and there. Recommend!
Courtney
Quick, fun, interesting.
Amanda
A quick glance into the basic life of people at court during Henry VIII's reign. Discusses the roles of the people of the palace on a regular day-to-day basis. Also discusses the Eltham ordinances set out in 1526 by Cardinal Wolsey and their effect on the court functioning in early Tudor times.
Stephanie
An interesting (and brief!) summary of exactly what the name implies. I only wish there had been pictures (such as floor plans) so literally illustrate what the author was describing.
Preety
A short, easily readable, and highly useful book for weaving all the little snippets of Tudor palace life I had known before into one integrated and coherent whole.
Hector Diaz
I expected a bit more, but this fast glimpse of every day life Washington Ok. Read it if you are interested in the Tudor's
Amanda

Very useful book. It explained the titles and reaponsibilities of everyone. Also a timeline of daily life.
Kristin Sinclair
Great little book. Extremely informative and easy to read. Highly recommended.
Rebecca
Reads like an essay more than a real book on historical fact.
Ceil Sienicki
Interesting short read.
Katie
Katie added it
Jul 26, 2015
Kyara Floris
Kyara Floris marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Charlotte Graham
Charlotte Graham marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Robin Akin
Robin Akin marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Profegrace
Profegrace marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
  • Monarchy: England and Her Rulers from the Tudors to the Windsors
  • Queen Victoria's Children
  • Tudor England
  • The Ring and the Crown: A History of Royal Weddings 1066-2011
The Reign of Arthur: From History to Legend Revealing King Arthur: Swords, Stones and Digging for Camelot