Start by marking “Life in a Tudor Palace” as Want to Read:
Life in a Tudor Palace

Christopher Gidlow

Life in a Tudor Palace

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  319 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This book lets us take a tour round a courtly palace and peep around each door, as we encounter the kitchens, the bakery, the laundry, the bedrooms, the gardens and the privvies! Everything you could wish to know is here, as the book describes the different lifestyles of the court, and the people who served them.
Published September 1st 2011 by History Press (SC) (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Life in a Tudor Palace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life in a Tudor Palace

Kavita
Feb 12, 2016 Kavita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudors, history
This is a very slim volume, even a thick pamphlet, but it is filled with information on life in the Tudor court. Of course, Henry's reign had a lot of untypical days when all kinds of personal and political upheavals were taking place. But this book was about a very typical day when Henry gets up, attends mass, goes hunting, consults his council, eats, takes a bath and returns to bed.

If you are thinking of taking up a job in Henry's court, don't! The courtiers and workers have to work at the wh
Crystal Lee
Sep 21, 2012 Crystal Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! It’s a resource I will continue to use for many years to come as I continue to write about that intriguing man, Henry VIII, and what happened at his court.

The author did a great job of never wasting my time. He presented the facts in a wonderful way, based on different time periods in the palace, and explained what would be happening in a typical day. I learned things I’d either forgotten, or had never heard before.

For example… My favorite new piece of information I
John
May 11, 2009 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little book to stick in your pocket or purse when you're doomed to spend time in a waiting room. Intriguing details of domestic life with Henry VIII, who had to feed about 800 people every day. Check Daedalus Books for remainder copies.
Mary Josefina Cade
Short but helpful book for anyone interested in Henry V111 and dictators generally. If everything is arranged around YOU, it would be impossible to remain balanced. Special food, being dressed by others, everyone bowing and scraping plus a 'groom of the stool'.... Can't bear to think what this poor aristocrat had to do. Every morning.

On the evidence of this book, the king was thoroughly spoilt. No wonder Henry had tantrums when he couldn't get his own way. 'Life in a Tudor Palace' is written in
Sarah's Book Nook
Review to come - enjoyed this one for exactly what it was. Illustrations would've been helpful.

++++++++++++

My book blog ---> http://allthebookblognamesaretaken.bl...

**This is a double review of both Life in a Tudor Palace and Life in a Medieval Castle**

These are such brief reads that I can hardly write a full review, so I am reviewing them together. That is not meant to be disparaging however, because these are simply slim volumes that focuses on a very specific part of history - Tudor palace
Bridgett
Feb 20, 2014 Bridgett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts:

This is a very short read, but packed full of information! I enjoyed this book, and feel that it will be a great resource that I will use often in the future. I recommend it to anyone who would like to learn more about what it would have been like to live in castles during Tudor times. It's short, but packs a punch!
Barbara
Dec 20, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information.

The particulars of daily life in an English palace are very interesting. This being those of King Henry VIII, the narrative is fascinating. Anyone needing facts for research or just curious will appreciate this book.
Carole Cox
Apr 07, 2015 Carole Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well researched.

This is an apparent detail of life in a Tudor Palace. As I had just watched a video of Hampton court, I am left with a strong feeling of how a day went during the time of Henry VIII.
Janina Barlow
Mar 23, 2015 Janina Barlow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gem of a little book taking you though a typical day at Tudor court, I enjoyed this and would like it to have been longer but for 59p (kindle price) was a nice quick informative read.
Sue
Oct 31, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's okay; I just wish people would remember that Henry VIII wasn't the only member of the Tudor family.
Hristina Ivanova
A very short, yet nice and informative read. I liked the cheeky comments here and there. Recommend!
Misty  Bourlart
Dec 24, 2015 Misty Bourlart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative

Several reviews have already stated that this book is a bit dry. I get the feeling that this is intentional. This is not a book about the drama and intrigue of Henry's court. It is a painstaking, hour by hour account of a purely typical day. The differences from castle to castle are touched upon as are the differences between the Queens but all is averaged out to show as typical a non-feast day as possible. If read as a page from a daily journal of household management, then this
Courtney
Mar 03, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
Quick, fun, interesting.
Amanda
Aug 28, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick glance into the basic life of people at court during Henry VIII's reign. Discusses the roles of the people of the palace on a regular day-to-day basis. Also discusses the Eltham ordinances set out in 1526 by Cardinal Wolsey and their effect on the court functioning in early Tudor times.
Stephanie
Aug 14, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
An interesting (and brief!) summary of exactly what the name implies. I only wish there had been pictures (such as floor plans) so literally illustrate what the author was describing.
Preety
A short, easily readable, and highly useful book for weaving all the little snippets of Tudor palace life I had known before into one integrated and coherent whole.
Hector Diaz
I expected a bit more, but this fast glimpse of every day life Washington Ok. Read it if you are interested in the Tudor's
Amanda
Sep 27, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudor, nonfiction, kindle

Very useful book. It explained the titles and reaponsibilities of everyone. Also a timeline of daily life.
Fiona
Love all things Tudor and this was a goodie. Loads of facinating background that makes it all come alive
Kristin Sinclair
Great little book. Extremely informative and easy to read. Highly recommended.
Rebecca
May 30, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reads like an essay more than a real book on historical fact.
Ceil Sienicki
Interesting short read.
Eva Schatz
Eva Schatz marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
margaret everett
margaret everett rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Sónia
Sónia marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Sandra Hazzard-creechley
Sandra Hazzard-creechley marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Regina Mannella
Regina Mannella marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
John Harnois
John Harnois is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2016
  • Life in a Victorian Household
  • England Under The Tudors
  • The Nine Days Queen: A Portrait of Lady Jane Grey
  • Life in a Medieval Castle
  • All the King's Cooks: The Tudor Kitchens of King Henry VIII at Hampton Court Palace
  • Inside the Wardrobe of Anne Boleyn