Start by marking “The Tudor Housewife” as Want to Read:
The Tudor Housewife

Alison Sim

The Tudor Housewife

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The political and military history of the sixteenth century is well known, and much written about, but what of the thousands of women who have, for the most part, eluded the historian's pen? The Tudor Housewife aims to answer this question, providing a unique and accessible introduction to everyday life and responsibilities of women from all levels of society in the age of ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by History Press (SC) (first published July 23rd 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Tudor Housewife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tudor Housewife

Jasmyn
Overall I enjoyed the book, but there were several places where the author became repetitive or the material simply dragged. In particular, though the final chapter is labeled "Conclusion", it is actually of a summary of everything you just read with no new insights. I also found it frustrating to read constant references to illustrations which are completely absent from the Kindle edition. Still, the book was informative and accessible even with it's flaws.
I've read an awful lot about the Tudors, but pretty much all of it focused on court politics.
This is the first book I've come across where the focus is on the ordinary people. Of course issues such as the dissolution are covered but it is the effect not the politics of it.
It is not a deep scholarly book and I wouldn't treat it as necessarily always factually accurate. But it was a well written, engaging, easy to read last thing at night, interesting and informative book.
Elle
I have read a lot of academic history texts so I am used to the rather dry writing style but unlike the ones I read, this was pretty useless as an academic piece of work. Therefore, it was just dry with no reason. The author repeated herself a lot and I found that she went into extra detail that was not needed on several chapters. I have to admit I ended up skipping the religion chapter mostly because it was that boring.

I would not recommend this.
Olga Hughes
Unfortunately the History Press hasn't edited the new paperback version of this, so it refers to plates and illustrations in the original first edition text which are not present.
A good concise overview on the daily life of Tudor women, common, middle-class and nobility. It also debunks a few myths. An easy read, very enjoyable.
Marissa
Despite my immense displeasure with the author's writing style, the information itself is interesting and I'd recommend it for turdorphiles or amateurs interested in material culture. The info is sound and it's super interesting to get a glimpse at early modern private life that feels like you're on a tour.
Dinah
Pulls together a broad range of information at a high level, but sources are generally well-indicated. Of note is the rich detail of the daily life of woman and of common household tasks, for example the discussion of washing on pages 49-60.
Rather a dull account of the Tudor housewife, and not interesting enough to hold me past the half-way point. I put it down after I got to this point and didn't bother picking it up again.
Lauren Scheier
Such a treasure trove of knowledge! I am absolutely in love with this book. I can't wait to apply the information I've learned into my reenacting.
Louise
Fantastic, really interesting and accessible, but with a lot of information that was completely new to me.
Alex
Interesting, but kind of dry.
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Nicole
Nicole added it
Jun 14, 2015
Vera Cobb
Vera Cobb marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Dawn Harvilicz
Dawn Harvilicz marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Sheila
Sheila added it
Jun 22, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Aymie Jean
Aymie Jean marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Lea
Lea marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Monkique
Monkique marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Becca Haynes
Becca Haynes marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Lottie.B
Lottie.B marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Laura Protheroe
Laura Protheroe marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Bessie Blount: Mistress to Henry VIII
  • A Brief History Of The Tudor Age
  • The Last White Rose: Dynasty, Rebellion and Treason. The Secret Wars against the Tudors
  • Catherine Howard: The Queen Whose Adulteries Made a Fool of Henry VIII
  • House Of Treason: The Rise And Fall Of A Tudor Dynasty
  • Life in a Tudor Palace
  • Medieval Women: A Social History of Women in England 450-1500
  • Henry: Virtuous Prince
  • Women in Ancient Egypt
  • Mary Tudor: A Life
  • Aristocrats: Power, Grace, and Decadence: Britain's Great Ruling Classes from 1066 to the Present
  • Tudor Tailor: Reconstructing sixteenth - century dress
  • In the Lion's Court: Power, Ambition, and Sudden Death in the Reign of Henry VIII
  • The Children of Henry VIII
  • The Tribes of Britain
  • Divorced, Beheaded, Survived: A Feminist Reinterpretation of the Wives of Henry VIII
  • The Lady Penelope: The Lost Tale of Love and Politics in the Court of Elizabeth I
  • Lady Jane Grey: Nine Days Queen
Pleasures & Pastimes In Tudor England Food and Feast in Tudor England Masters and Servants in Tudor England Las esposas Tudor Life in Tudor Palaces and Houses: From 1485 to 1603