Blank-133x176
Bats at the Ballgame

Brian Lies

Bats at the Ballgame (Bat Books)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Hurry up! Come one--come all!
We're off to watch the bats play ball!
You'll never forget your first game: the green so green, the presence of heroes past, and togetherness with family and friends, rooting for the home team. But you think humans are the only ones who enjoy America's national pastime? Grab your bat--the other kind--and your mitt, and join these captivating b...more
Published September 6th 2010 by Harcourt Brace and Company (first published July 28th 2010)

GoldGato
Although I collect illustrated children's books, this is the first Bats At book I purchased. Intrigued by the artwork and the simple concept of bats playing the American pastime, I did enjoy the obvious devotion to the concept.

In our dreams, that perfect green,
our refuge from the drab routine
of headlong flutter, flurried flight...
until another baseball night.

The pictures are fun, especially when grandpa bat starts reminiscing about the great bat players. Yes, there is a Lou Gehrig bat standing...more
Kara Dean
They've been to the beach. They've patronized the library. And now, Brian Lies' adorable bats are going to watch--what else?--a baseball game. The third installment in this highly appealing series is full of charm, visual humor and--if you are a Red Sox fan--a couple of in-jokes for your reading pleasure.
One of the reasons the bat books are so much fun is the opportunity they provide for sight gags. After a couple of double page spreads of bats flying towards the ball park, Lies treats his reade...more
Luann
Do you like bats? Do you like baseball? Well, even if you don't, you're sure to like this book! Brian Lies DEFINITELY likes bats, since this is his third VERY COOL bat book. He also DEFINITELY likes baseball, and it comes through loud and clear. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but reading this makes me feel a bit of nostalgia for the golden days of baseball. I would love to see a game like this - especially if it were bats playing! Only the refreshments such as Cricket Jack and Mothdogs don't reall...more
Lisa Vegan
This is a worthy book in the Bats series and the third “Bats at the…” book that I’ve read. I love baseball so this one was really fun for me to read. I particularly enjoyed the Bat’s version of the famous “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” song, though it wasn’t shown in its entirety. Fine, rhyming story. Marvelous illustrations. I like bats but even those who are fearful of them or repulsed by them might very well enjoy this/these books.
Kevin Wright
A moderately successful storytime selection, Bats at the Ballgame is another children's book that I think I enjoyed more than the kids did. The painted illustrations are amazingly skillful and luminous and the brilliant character design for the bats somehow makes them simultaneously super realistic and super cuddly. It's not often that a top-notch artist also excels at writing, but Lies verse narrative is lively and dramatic, with great turns of phrase and inventive yet accessible language. I al...more
This is a cute story where rhyme is used to tell about a baseball game with bats. It is nominated for a California Young Reader Medal for 2013. The story is easy to read aloud and has some great humorous moments. I fear that some of the humor might be over the heads of some of its intended audience. I found that my older students, age 10 and up, were able to laugh along more than the younger ones. There were several times where I had to explain why something is funny for the primary students. It...more
Amy Musser
Night is falling and the air crackles with excitement. It’s time for the annual bat baseball game! For years this bat team has been defeated by the same rival team, but this year will be different. The grounds crew preps the ground and the national anthem is sung. Soon the game is in full swing, but the innings pass and the score remains at 0-0. Will the bat's team win or will they be beaten once again by their rivals? Grab a mothdog and some Cricket Jacks and find out!

Lies’ rhyming text and evo...more
Sharyn Craft
This is such a fun little book for all ages. The bats go to their local baseball field and use powered sugar to make the lines, packs of sugar for the bases, and serve mothdaogs and cricket jacks. The illustrations are fabulous and very vibrant. It's a heart stopper to see who wins the game. When the sun starts to come up, they pack up and go home. Very cute, especially if you like bats!
T Crockett
I'm a fan of the Bats at the...series. This maintains all the things I liked about the other ones, but if you're not a big baseball fan a lot of the terminology is going to go right by, making the story a bit dull. I ran into this problem with preschoolers who have enjoyed the rest of the series.
Kaethe
I really like the previous two Bat books by Brian Lies. And I have a soft spot for books about baseball. for some reason, the subject brings out a poetic and nostalgic warmth that other topics don't elicit from the same writers. Lies got all that, and some very amusing little jokes in, as well. "Cricket Jack" amused both the PandaBat and me.
Cathy
Sep 22, 2013 Cathy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: California Young Readers Medal Nominee
Hurry up! Come one—come all!
We’re off to watch the bats play ball!

You’ll never forget your first game: the green so green, the presence of heroes past, and togetherness with family and friends, rooting for the home team. But you think humans are the only ones who enjoy America’s national pastime? Grab your bat—the other kind—and your mitt, and join these captivating bats as they flutter off to watch their all-stars compete. How about a mothdog? Or some Cricket Jack? In sweeping compositions tha...more
Candice
Nov 07, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she is older
Shelves: picture-books
After reading Bats at the Library I sought out the other "Bats at" books. This one is as much fun and as beautifully illustrated as the first. Once again, it's not meant for the very young. There are a lot of amusing details in the illustrations that a young child would miss - a "batly" take on the old song "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" becomes "Hang me up in the rafters," for instance. Also amusing were the bat raking the pitcher's mound with a fork and two bats rolling the foul lines with powd...more
3.5 if I could. Endearing illustrations with wonderful, funny realistic details (if I can call bats playing baseball "realistic"?). See the bats raking the field with forks, and making the baselines with powdered sugar, for example. And don't miss the edited concessions sign, featuring "garlic flies" and "gnatwurst." The tale of this secret night game is told in rhyme, with extra points to Lies for getting meter right. (Verse with bad meter is a pet peeve of mine.) It feels a bit long for its ta...more
Destiny Dawn Long
This is a fun book that exposes children to the excitement of going out to a ballgame--but in this case it's a parallel world of "bat ball". Still, there's the crackling energy of the crowd in the stands, the call of the food vendors, the tension at home plate, and the exhilaration of your home team winning.

I liked that it teaches children some of the basics of baseball, through a charming and engaging story. My daughter was pulled right in.

And the illustrations are gorgeous. They are richly d...more
Ellen Gallagher
I love Lies' "Bat" books. The writing has a flow to it that is very soothing to the reader. It is so great for children to imagine this world that comes alive while they're sleeping. They aren't sure if they should believe it or not since that bats all go home when the world starts to wake up. Children can also relate to the experiences the bats have because they are doing human things and expressing emotions children are familiar with. The subtle changes the author makes to the "bat world" are...more
Liz Price Patel
Recommended summer reading by first grade.
Sharon Lawler
Since it is October, the boys of summer are starting to wrap of their year, and seasonal decorations often include bats, so this book with it's bat baseball players is perfect. The little ones will love the rhyming, and older poets might compare the parts of story line to "Casey at the Bat." Acrylic was used to create the artwork. Of note is the message on the back cover that a portion of the proceeds from the book goes to Bat Conservation International.
Samantha Street
I really enjoyed the overall concept of this book, the author took an animal that most don't find appealing and turned it into something fun and relatable. This story would be great for boys, and especially kids that love baseball. You could incorporate this story into a history of America and how one of the greatest love sports in this country is baseball. There were rhyming words and colors that you could go over with children.
Melissa Housholder
This is a fun fiction book about bats playing baseball. There are some non-fiction elements within the story, for example, the bats have to wait until nighttime to go out and play, and the umpires don't stand on the field, they hang from above upside down. Great book for read-aloud. The first graders I read it to loved it. They already had a lot of schema for bats as that is what they are working on at this time.
Angie
Saw this one at the bookfair, too.

LOOOOOOOVE his illustrations. I like the stories well enough (this is a must have for a baseball fan). I think my favorite one will of course be Bats at the Library but that doesn't mean this one isn't fun.

Favorite scene ... possibly the bat food vendors.
Kristy
"Bats at the Ballgame" is an imaginative story about one of the things that bats do at night while everyone else is sleeping. Of course, one of the things bats do is go to a baseball game to watch the other bats play! This is a great book that children who love animals, like bats, or love sports will enjoy reading.

Publication Date: 2010
Age/Grade level: Kindergarten to 2nd grade
Format: Print Book
Amy
Just realized I'd never rated this one. We have all three of his bat books. Bats at the Beach is by far our favorite - but the others are cute. Love some of the little details here, especially the concessions. I am not a huge baseball fan and Bea doesn't really understand the game - so the details of this story are a bit lost on her... Illustrations are insanely good though, as always.
Maria
"Hurry up! Come one—come all! We’re off to watch the bats play ball!" The bats are at it again! This time, they are off to see a ballgame. How would they play ball? What snacks would they eat at the game? Would they play baseball as humans do? I thought this book has a good local connection with the Louisville Bats minor league baseball team. I loved the story and I still loved the illustrations!
Tamra
Nov 16, 2011 Tamra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all kids and their parents
This is a fun, fun book. The illustrations are great, and even though it's written in rhyme, it still captures some of the excitement of the game. In fact, this book may even be MORE exciting than a real baseball game. Brilliant!

Your kids will love this book, whether or not they love baseball.

(Once a month I read picture books to a 2nd grade class. This one made the cut.)
Barb
A Home Run!

I love Brian Lies! And his latest bat book! I have always loved bats and was thrilled to find Brian Lie's 'Bat Night at the Library' and then 'Bats at the Beach'. My children and I love these stories with their charming illustrations of all the adorable bats, my son especially likes the rhyming text.

Thank you Brian Lies for another wonderful bat book!
Sandy Brehl
Incredible blend of clever rhyming text, remarkable illustrations, and a delightful premise that is well-executed.
Among many appealing moments in the book my favorite is the sky-banner lyric twist to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"- "Oh, hang me up in the rafters, Hang me up by the toes. Buy me some beenuts and cricket jack...." Don't miss this one.
jv poore
My 6-year old son and I read this book last night. He LOVED it, and I thought it was very fun to read. My son was so happy with this book that he woke up this morning and actually wrote a letter to the author, Brian Lies! This is also an extremely popular book in the Elementary School Library. I will be purchasing more copies of this to give as gifts.
Emily
Title: Bats at the Ballgame
Author/Illustrator: Brian Lies
Publisher: Houghton Muffin Books for Children
Date: September 6, 2010
Genre: fiction

Wonderful use of rhyming text and imagery. Draws in audience. Mainly for boys in the classroom, but can be for both genders. Beautiful double page spreads artwork. Very relatable for young children.
Ryan
Bats playing baseball. Hmmm. Okay. I can't tell if I was bored by the poetry or because I hate baseball. I'm giving it an extra star because the illustrations were well done. Also it was annoying to have to turn the book upside down every other page so my three year old could see the bats right side up.
Craig
My wife bought this one for our grandaughter, and it's a lot of fun! The illustrations are stunning, and the story is funny and entertaining. As a life-long Yankees fan I couldn't approve of a couple of the nods to Boston... but, seriously, I believe that it would make a great gift for younger kids.
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • Who Hops?
  • Socksquatch
  • Cooking with Henry and Elliebelly
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • Dogs
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • Over at the Castle
  • Huck Runs Amuck!
  • Zen Ghosts
  • Boot & Shoe
  • Chicken Cheeks
I was born in 1963 in Princeton, New Jersey, which back then was a quiet college town, surrounded by old farmland slowly giving way to housing developments. I spent a lot of time building dams and forts in the woods across the street with my best friend, inventing things, and writing and drawing with my older sister. At various times during my childhood, we had newts, gerbils and rabbits as pets....more
More about Brian Lies...
Bats at the Library Bats at the Beach Hamlet and the Enormous Chinese Dragon Kite Hamlet and the Magnificent Sandcastle Bats in the Band