Start by marking “The Bane Chronicles” as Want to Read:
The Bane Chronicles

The Bane Chronicles (The Bane Chronicles #1-11)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  32,636 Ratings  ·  3,363 Reviews
Fans of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices can get to know warlock Magnus Bane like never before in this collection of New York Times bestselling tales, in print for the first time with an exclusive new story and illustrated material.

This collection of eleven short stories illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality, flamboyan
Published November 11th 2014 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bane Chronicles, please sign up.

Elena After I learned this book was coming out, I could not control myself with excitement! I got it as my Xmas gift, what a delight!
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
15th out of 2,668 books — 15,911 voters
YA Novels of 2014
13th out of 1,536 books — 8,949 voters

More lists with this book...

Gabby
Mar 29, 2016 Gabby marked it as to-read
Okay, I just wanted to say to all those Cassandra-Clare-Releasing-More-Shadowhunter-Books haters, well, SHUT THE FREAKING HELL UP!!!!!!!

*Clears throat* Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that that's been said, let the fangirling begin:
OH MY GOD! Only my favourite character EVER is getting his own freaking series!??!?! This is just the best moment of my life.

Okay, the List of titles:

1) What Really Happened in Peru
2) The Runaway Queen
3) Vampires,
Laurel
Dec 13, 2012 Laurel marked it as never-will-i-ever
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No, you know what? I follow Cassandra Clare on Tumblr.

I do it so I can see all the bullshit first hand. The anti-bullying post, for example, was a REAL WINNER and I laugh at how everyone found her so sincere and heartwarming and jesus fucking christ. If you knew what she had done in her past, how far she went to bring the people she didn't like down. This includes fandom-wide shunning, phone calls to their house, and ATTEMPTS TO KICK THEM OUT OF THE UNIVERSITY THEY WERE ATTENDING.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nonsense bullyi
hayden
Jan 31, 2015 hayden rated it it was ok
This book, unfortunately, did nothing for me.

I remember Magnus Bane being one of my favorite characters of the original TMI series (if you can remember that far back, with all of Clare's publications and planned publications since then), but it's been so long since I read City of Lost Souls that all of my emotional attachment to him has disintegrated into ash.

For someone more connected to this series than I am, this may be a great addition, full of intriguing backstory and unique Magnus humor. B
Matilda
Jan 07, 2015 Matilda rated it really liked it
I feel like I enjoyed this more by reading them all together.

Woah looking through the comments all I can see is hate....for Cassandra Clare and how she is milking the fanchise,for a start:
STOP if you dont want to read another one her books you don't have to- we are not making you! People who actually want to read her book can buy them and read them and LOVE THEM.
I love the Shadow Hunter world and I dont think there is any problem with so many books being out. I love the world and charaters and
Rayne
Dec 12, 2012 Rayne marked it as maybe
So, back in the end of 2007, I was one of 'those' girls. You know, the ones that built shrines for Clare's writing ability, who desperately wanted to live in the world she created and the ones that proclaimed City of Bones as the best book evah?! <---Yeah. That annoying chick. Trust me, I regret it.

I want to use the "I was young and stupid" excuse and the "I didn't know good quality YA back then", and although they are valid and certainly true, the thing is, I do like The Mortal Instruments (
Parker
Jan 28, 2015 Parker marked it as to-read
First thing I have to say.... To everyone who is complaining about Cassandra Clare or TMI or anything like that, please kindly Shut up. If you don't like her or her work why spend your time bitching about it why waster your breath on something you hate.... Anyways I am so excited for this book!!! I love all of Cassandra Clare's books and am can't wait for for them all to come out.
Richard Denney
Dec 10, 2012 Richard Denney marked it as to-read

description
Kameron B. Moore
Feb 19, 2016 Kameron B. Moore rated it really liked it
WHY IS EVERYONE HATING ON CASSANDRA CLARE BECAUSE SHE HAS A NEW BOOK COMING OUT? There is no reason everyone should be saying the stuff they are saying on here. Yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I've read some reviews that say she bullied people in her past, well, the things those people have been saying can be considered as bullying. And who cares if she did it in her past?! Past is past. And it's her life; she doesn't have to tell the entire world about what she's done in the past ...more
Sonia
Dec 10, 2012 Sonia marked it as to-read
I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MOMENT MY ENTIRE LIFE.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cait • A Page With a View
The stories in here were really hit or miss. I absolutely LOVED "The Course of True Love [and First Dates]" and seeing more of Magnus with Alec, Tessa, Will, and Jem. I was laughing out loud and SO into a few parts, but then absolutely didn't care about the filler and slapstick humor in others. But I've really never been a fan of Sarah Rees Brennan's writing style, so maybe it's just not for me.

This reminded me of that "Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy" book with the different writing style a
Bella Grace
Jun 02, 2014 Bella Grace marked it as not-happening
Milk that money cow, Clare. Milk it until it's a shriveled husk of a once peaceful and prosperous animal. Fucking do it. You know, I honestly didn't know you could make so many fucking books and shit out of one concept. I have been proved wrong. Oh, God.

stitch gif photo: Stitch.gif

*EDIT*
Damn. The money moocher herself admits to the crime - with a smile, too! Wowza, Clare. Not only do you plagerize and mooch, but you're proud of it, too.

Head on over here to see the woman in action. *shakes head*
Gabriela
Dec 13, 2012 Gabriela marked it as uhhh-nope
I love the fabulous Magnus Bane as much as the closest violent fangirl, but seriously, Clare? Stop milking that dead cow of yours already and move FORWARD.
Sofii♡

“Magnus, you were trying to flirt with your own plate."
"I'm a very open-minded sort of fellow!”

THIS HAS BEEN SO GOOD !.

description

The truth is that re-reading on a character for whom I have so much love, like Magnus, has been a pleasure.
I've always been very curious to know more about the life of this eccentric character , who has always been present in the life of the Shadowhunters both The Mortal Instruments saga, as in the trilogy the infernal devices, which as you know, I love with all my heart :).
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥
This review can also be found on my blog: A Match Made in Heaven

So, some background on my relationship with Cassie. I read City of Bones first. Wasn't a huge fan of it, didn't particularly like Clary or Jace, I hated their relationship, and I hated Simon. The only redeeming quality was the excellent world-building and Magnus Bane. As I read City of Ashes and City of Glass I felt the same way and decided that was a good place to stop. I have never read City of Fallen Angels.

Then, as I heard all t
Shreya
Mar 27, 2013 Shreya marked it as to-read
I LOOOOOOVE THAT SHE'S MAKING ANOTHER BOOK. I LOVE THAT SHE'S GOING INTO DEPTH ABOUT THE WORLD SHE'S CREATED. I LOOOOOVE THAT SHE'S TRYING TO PLEASE HER FANS BECAUSE WE DDIIIDD ASK FOR THIS. I LOOVEEEEE THAT SHE STILL HAS MORE TO GIVE US AND WON'T STOP. I LOOOOOOVE THAT SHE IGNORES ALL THE HATERS AND KEEPS GOING BECAUSE I DON'T WANT THIS TO END. I LOOOOVEEE HER PERIOD.

[image error]

[image error]

Y'all are just jelly that Magnus has been sexier than you since the 13th century.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Okay, Cassandra Clare. You are really milking this. A lot.

...

However, Magnus Bane is my favorite character so I'll probably read this anyway.
Jaz
“Have a little faith in my magic fingers”

Magnus is a character that I always liked. I enjoyed it in TID trilogy, while he helped Will and I loved it in TMI series with all his eccentricity and his love for Alec although he seemed a little stalker sometimes.It is a fascinating character, one of those who always brings light to a scene and even can make you laugh at the most tragic moments.

“Magnus did not have enormous respect for the Law, but if he was breaking it he wanted to look good doing
Shannon (leaninglights)
Jul 22, 2015 Shannon (leaninglights) rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5 stars

This was such a pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting much for a book of novellas about a character I already knew but wow, there are a lot of golden nuggets in these stories from past books, past characters and future ones as well! Absolutely a must-read if you have read and loved The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices :)
Giovanna
Dec 21, 2014 Giovanna rated it really liked it

- What really happened in Peru: 4 stars

"He carefully maintained the blasé air of one who had been here before and had been incredibly well dressed that time too”

This was so much fun! Magnus is one of my favourite characters (only Will Herondale is better imo) in the series, and his adventures with Catarina and Ragnor were so cute...plus, Ragnor ç.ç

- The runaway queen: 3 stars

The first one was better but it was nice to see Magnus in Paris in 1791, like...he named a monkey Ragnor!
And...I'm reall
Jenny
I loved the character of Magnus in TID series and decided to read these short stories right away.These books are real fun,I enjoyed all of them!

What Really Happened in Peru-3 stars
“Magnus, you were trying to flirt with your own plate."
"I'm a very open-minded sort of fellow!"

Lol,I love Magnus!It was an okay read,but there were some scenes which I really enjoyed.

The Runaway Queen-3 stars

Vampires, Scones and Edmund Herondale-2 stars

The Midnight Heir-5 stars

Finally got to see Will,Jem and Tessa!
Kai
Mar 28, 2016 Kai rated it it was ok
Shelves: glbt, overrated, 2016
There was also the fact that sometimes vampires commited crimes worse than murder. They committed crimes against fashion.

A few years ago I was super excited about this being released. I couldn't wait to get more of Magnus.
Today I'm bored and annoyed. Magnus is such a sissy. So shallow. Such a typical Clare character. I honestly can't stand her pretentious plots/characters anymore. I can't keep from rolling my eyes and groaning(see quote above). Which is one of the reasons why it took me half a y
Josu
Dec 24, 2014 Josu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-diciembre, 10x20
MADRE MÍA. Había leído las dos primeras historias cuando salieron y aunque me gustaron, no pensaba que el resto de historias iban a estar guays. Pero he de admitir que las primeras historias no hacen justicia al resto del libro. The Bane Chronicles es una maravilla. Las historias con Sarah Rees Brennan, en general, son mucho mejores que las de Maureen Johnson, pues creo que el estilo de esta segunda varía más del de Cassie. Y eso se nota. Ahora, voy a entrar en detalles:

PUEDE CONTENER ALGÚN SPO
Liz* Fashionably Late
Feb 26, 2013 Liz* Fashionably Late marked it as not-gonna-happen
Can’t get enough of C. Clare and the Everlasting Mortal Thingie Chronicles? Can't you? uh?

Stop this.
Christina
Apr 18, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it
An overall rating of 4 stars!

( To see my ratings of the individual stories, see my updates for this )

Some of the stories were cute, some unnecessary, some heartbreaking and some hilarious! I'm glad I didn't wait to read it. It was awesome getting to see Magnus throughout history and see how what was going on in the Mundane world affected him and the rest of the downworlders and the shadowhunters.
Ry Strider
May 07, 2014 Ry Strider rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
Update:
THE WHOLE BOOK IS OUT OH MY GODS AMAZON HERE I COME.

**********
Magnus... is this real life????!!!!
Magnus. Is. Perfection. He deserved this a while ago! YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

Edit: Read

Anyone who is bashing Cassandra Clare for writing more Shadowhunter stuff should go get eaten by some ducks. Seriously. Upset that she's writing MORE of her amazing ideas? Her idea was a gift, and it's good that she's using it to it's fullest. Not for money. Ya'll are just jealous. This. Was. Perfection. Magnu
Maisie
Jun 25, 2015 Maisie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
This was sooo funny! And omg MALEC! YAYY
Grace (LovingDemBooks) Z.
Buy this book HERE for CHEAP with FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING

I received an advanced reader's copy of this book from the publisher Simon & Schuster for free in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

3.5 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). I just finished reading this title. Full review to come.

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There
Andre
Aug 09, 2015 Andre rated it did not like it
Alternative title: The bumbling around of a whiny, idiotic and judgmental asshole.

Note: There will be spoilers in this review and no possibility to blank them out, I think everyone reading this should know what they are in to when it comes to these stories.

These stories (which I read when they were released as e-books) were utter crap!!!
So far I read all of the Shadowhunter books apart from Clockwork Princess and City of Heavenly Fire and this here was the worst of them all in my mind. But to be
Martitara
Nov 11, 2015 Martitara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Qué puedo decir? Es Magnus 100% lo que significa que es un libro ingenioso y divertido, pero también que esconde más de lo que parece. Eso sí, con tanto cambio de personaje se puede ver que Cassandra Clare abusa un poco del tipo súper gracioso-irónico-ocurrente, y del mi-alma-está-condenada-nadie-puede-salvarme.
Pero fin, aunque pueda cansar un poquito, el ritmo y la variedad de historias (más cómicas, más románticas, mas siniestras...) hace que merezca la pena.
Ana Fernández
Sep 04, 2016 Ana Fernández rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Con palabras no puedo explicar lo muy entrañable que me ha resultado Magnus Bane como personaje en cada uno de los libros de Cassandra Clare, porque si, poco a poco se me fue metiendo en el corazón y he de decir que es quizá no uno de mis personajes favoritos sino más bien mi favorito de todos esos personajes si bien puede decirse legendarios que evolucionan junto con el lector y en cada libro presenta una faceta distinta e interesante que conocer.

Las dos primeras historias admito que no le hac
  • The Silver Mask (Magisterium,  #4)
  • And for Your Information… (Butterfly, #2)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • The Forever Song (Blood of Eden, #3)
  • Sacrifice (Elemental, #5)
  • Shadowhunter's Guide: City of Bones
  • The Ruby Circle (Bloodlines, #6)
  • The Offering (The Pledge, #3)
  • Oblivion (Nevermore, #3)
  • Otherworld Secrets (Otherworld Stories #4)
  • Dangerous Creatures (Dangerous Creatures, #1)
  • The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5)
  • Illusion (Chronicles of Nick, #5)
  • Secret Histories (Lorien Legacies: The Lost Files, #4-6)
  • The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Bane Chronicles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles, #1)
  • The Runaway Queen (The Bane Chronicles, #2)
  • Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale (The Bane Chronicles, #3)
  • The Midnight Heir (The Bane Chronicles, #4)
  • The Rise of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles, #5)
  • Saving Raphael Santiago (The Bane Chronicles, #6)
  • The Fall of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles, #7)
  • What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Has Everything (The Bane Chronicles, #8)
  • The Last Stand of the New York Institute (The Bane Chronicles, #9)
  • The Course of True Love [and First Dates] (The Bane Chronicles, #10)

“Magnus, you were trying to flirt with your own plate."

"I'm a very open-minded sort of fellow!”
160 likes
“Where am I?" Magnus croaked.
"Nazca."
"Oh, so we went on a little trip."
"You broke into a man's house," Catarina said. "You stole a carpet and enchanted it to fly. Then you sped off into the night air. We pursued you on foot."
"Ah," said Magnus.
"You were shouting some things."
"What things?"
"I prefer not to repeat them," Catarina said. "I also prefer not to remember the time we spent in the desert. It is a mammoth desert, Magnus. Ordinary deserts are quite large. Mammoth deserts are so called because they are larger than ordinary deserts."
"Thank you for that interesting and enlightening information," Magnus croaked.
"You told us to leave you in the desert, because you planned to start a new life as a cactus," Catarina said, her voice flat. "Then you conjured up tiny needles and threw them at us. With pinpoint accuracy."
"Well," he said with dignity. "Considering my highly intoxicated state, you must have been impressed with my aim."
"'Impressed' is not the word to use to describe how I felt last night, Magnus."
"I thank you for stopping me there," Magnus said. "It was for the best. You are a true friend. No harm done. Let's say no more about it. Could you possibly fetch me - "
"Oh, we couldn't stop you," Catarina interrupted. "We tried, but you giggled, leaped onto the carpet, and flew away again. You kept saying that you wanted to go to Moquegua."
"What did I do in Moquegua?"
"You never got there," Catarina said. "But you were flying about and yelling and trying to, ahem, write messages for us with your carpet in the sky."
"We then stopped for a meal," Catarina said. "You were most insistent that we try a local specialty that you called cuy. We actually had a very pleasant meal, even though you were still very drunk."
"I'm sure I must have been sobering up at that point," Magnus argued.
"Magnus, you were trying to flirt with your own plate."
"I'm a very open-minded sort of fellow!"
"Ragnor is not," Catarina said. "When he found out that you were feeding us guinea pigs, he hit you over the head with your plate. It broke."
"So ended our love," Magnus said. "Ah, well. It would never have worked between me and the plate anyway. I'm sure the food did me good, Catarina, and you were very good to feed me and put me to bed - "
Catarina shook her head."You fell down on the floor. Honestly, we thought it best to leave you sleeping on the ground. We thought you would remain there for some time, but we took our eyes off you for one minute, and then you scuttled off. Ragnor claims he saw you making for the carpet, crawling like a huge demented crab.”
84 likes