Start by marking “Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf” as Want to Read:
Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf

Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Howlin’ Wolf was a musical giant in every way. He stood six foot three, weighed almost three hundred pounds, wore size sixteen shoes, and poured out his darkest sorrows onstage in a voice like a raging chainsaw. Half a century after his first hits, his sound still terrifies and inspires.

Born Chester Burnett in 1910, the Wolf survived a grim childhood and hardscrabble youth
Published June 1st 2004 by Pantheon

To ask other readers questions about Moanin' at Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moanin' at Midnight

John Gilbert
Probably the best book about Howlin' Wolf you're ever going to read, turned him from one of my favorite blues musicians to one of the most important figures in American music. Man, what a voice! He was a walking contradiction: nearly illiterate, yet always trying to better himself through adult education classes later in his life, he left an oppressive home as a young man, yet still thought he could make up with his mother, who never would accept him for playing the "devil's music."

Howlin' Wolf
Stew
I had to read the biography of my all time favorite blues artist.
And I did slog through it. But it was hard.
The authors did a lot of research but all those little numbers floating around at the end of sentences made it look like a dry history book.
They wrote it like they wanted tenure at a college. In other words, they approached Howlin Wolf's story like a boring history professor.
I wish someone with some flare could have taken on this project.
Mike
A deeply intimate look at one of the giants of American roots music, and a true master of the blues. The early life of the outsized Howlin' Wolf would have killed many a person, but he persevered to create a sound as distinct, influential, and meaningful as any artist in the 20th Century.

While this book rambles and roams at times, it is filled with incredible anecdotes and portraits not just of the Wolf, but also his musical contemporaries like Muddy Waters and his brilliant band members. This m
Eric Stone
I recently moved from Los Angeles to Clarksdale, Mississippi and it is to some extent the fault of Howlin' Wolf. I first heard him when I was 12 and my reaction at the time was: "What the hell is that? That's amazing!" It started a lifelong love of the blues. In turn that led me here for the first time, as Clarksdale is arguably the homeland of the blues. (Well, the ancestral homeland is Africa, but...) Once the music led me here I fell in love with the whole place and here I am a number of year ...more
Jeff
Moanin’ at Midnight: the Life & Times of Howlin’ Wolf by James Segrest & Mark Hoffman

Chester Burnett, nicknamed Wolf by his grandfather who told him the wolves would get him if he misbehaved, grew up with an abusive uncle and a mother who threw him out of her house when he was 13 and disowned him for playing “devil’s music” even after he became a well known, professional musician. He was able to escape that life, find his father and meet blues artist Charlie Patton who inspired and influ
Phil Doherty

An extraordinary story of a man who began his life in near slavery conditions. A man who was rejected by his mother for singing "the Devil's music" and made his own way in life on his own terms.
Howlin' Wolf was unique and his music still resonates today in a variety of musical genres ranging from Hip Hop to Blues, from R 'n B to punk. An outstanding biography that left me wanting more.
Art
May 28, 2015 Art marked it as to-read
Shelves: chicago, history, memoir, music
From a sharecropper history in The Delta, Howlin' Wolf brought a rough and rocking blues to Chicago. He treated his backup musicians well, including health insurance, which was very rare for players then. It is easy to find clips of him performing his raw and often funny tunes. That's what I know now, before making time to read this biography. Pairs well with music!
Chris Bertagnole
A fine book on Howlin' Wolf. I would recommend an ass pocket of whiskey and a pistol, because this is the real deal... Nothin' but the blues!
Robyn
Jul 17, 2014 Robyn marked it as to-read
Illinois
Mark
Simply the best book on The Wolf. I don't think there are any others devoted only to him. I know he is mentioned in other books but this is all about Chester A. Burnett. The best Blues singer of all time.

The book gave great detail about his life and how he impacted the music scene at the time and the people that followed.
Robin Webster
Oh how I love these books about the great blues men. This is an insightful book which in my view is a must for anyone interested in the Chicago Blues scene in the 40's and early 50's
Graham Tennyson
Astonishingly good book about the Wolf. Full of stories related in the vernacular. The voices start to echo in your head and leave you emerged in a wonderful world.
Mary
Interestign story, but the book was a little hard to read.
Paul
Excellent read about my favorite bluesman.
Steve
Great book for anyone interested in the Wolf.
Alton
Nov 06, 2008 Alton rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Blues fans
Recommended to Alton by: JD
must read for fans of the Blues
Christina Nelson
Christina Nelson is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2015
Braden
Braden marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Anna Kulagina
Anna Kulagina marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Patrick Bagley
Patrick Bagley marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Nicole Kucera
Nicole Kucera marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Phillip
Phillip marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Gerard Mehigan
Gerard Mehigan marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
  • Can't Be Satisfied: The Life and Times of Muddy Waters
  • Escaping the Delta: Robert Johnson and the Invention of the Blues
  • Bird Lives!: The High Life & Hard Times of Charlie (Yardbird) Parker
  • Chuck Berry: The Autobiography
  • Blues All Around Me: The Autobiography of B.B. King
  • Backstage Passes & Backstabbing Bastards: Memoirs of a Rock 'n Roll Survivor
  • Delta Blues: The Life and Times of the Mississippi Masters Who Revolutionized American Music
  • Satchmo: My Life in New Orleans