Start by marking “Building Imaginary Worlds: The Theory and History of Subcreation” as Want to Read:
Building Imaginary Worlds: The Theory and History of Subcreation

Building Imaginary Worlds: The Theory and History of Subcreation

Mark J.P. Wolf s study of imaginary worlds theorizes world-building within and across media, including literature, comics, film, radio, television, board games, video games, the Internet, and more. "Building Imaginary Worlds "departs from prior approaches to imaginary worlds that focused mainly on narrative, medium, or genre, and instead considers imaginary worlds as ...more
ebook
Published January 1st 2013 by Routledge (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Building Imaginary Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building Imaginary Worlds

John Carter McKnight
Building Imaginary Worlds is a valuable entry into the study of fictive and transmedial worlds - provided one sees it as occupying a particular place on the shelf of key works.

Both the "building" and "theory" in the title and subtitle are a bit misleading. The book is of only secondary utility for someone interested in building an imaginary world: it is definitely not a how-to worldbuilding guide, though its extensive schemas of categorization and classification may spark ideas in a creator.

It
Nelson Zagalo
Jul 25, 2016 Nelson Zagalo rated it really liked it
An excellent entry to the theorisation on imaginary worlds, very well researched and supported. The best comes from following an approach based in environments instead of based in narrative, but also the worst comes from that side also, because investing all in the environments makes you forget about characters.

Wolf is well known for his pioneer work on video games, this time it goes more in depth and presents a book that serves not only games, but also virtual worlds, and more than that all the
Alex
Jan 17, 2014 Alex rated it really liked it
While I did find the book as a whole a very good read, especially the first two sections, I think it misses out a little bit on thinking beyond a simple descriptive categorization of world-building. Since the examples of Wolf's narrative and authorial categories are usually drawn from a small number of worlds (mostly Middle-Earth, Star Wars and Myst), the book does little to explain what all these categories do with the material, what effect they have on the audience. Maybe this was not what the ...more
Joe Frisino
Jan 02, 2014 Joe Frisino rated it liked it
Useful but overly reliant on literature, especially Tolkien, for examples (not to in any way disparage Tolkien). Wished there was much greater emphasis on modern gaming worlds which, IMHO, are pushing quality and variety of "imaginary worlds" into new, exciting directions.
Andrew R. Keating
so far, this book shows the importance of settings, how it creates mood and atmosphere in a story and how these media create the magi the inundates a reader with the reality of a story. So far, it is awesome. I'll write more when I'm done.
Linnie Leavines
Jan 17, 2015 Linnie Leavines rated it it was amazing
Excellent, comprehensive book on this subject. As someone who would like to "subcreate," I found this very useful and inspiring.
Alain Thys
It's a nice introduction to the concept, yet a bit too academic for my practical/pragmatic taste (nothing wrong with being academic, just not my thing)
Micha
One of the most well researched books on and best tools for world building I've come across. This book inspired many stories from me. I look forward to more from Mr. Wolf.
Mitzi Martinez
Mitzi Martinez rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2014
Mika Knight
Mika Knight rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Gremory
Gremory rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Dr. Andrew Higgins
Dr. Andrew Higgins rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2013
Marion
Marion rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2014
Penny
Penny rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2014
Jenni Valo
Jenni Valo rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Krzysztof M. Maj
Krzysztof M. Maj rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Jenna (Falling Letters) rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Sarah Scoggins
Sarah Scoggins rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Apr 19, 2014
Brooke
Brooke rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2014
Robert A.
Robert A. rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2015
Jarl Erik
Jarl Erik rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2013
Emilie
Emilie rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Alexis
Alexis rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
Nola Diorez
Nola Diorez rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2016
Jade
Jade rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2016
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Daniel Vojta
Daniel Vojta rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2015

“Coleridge saw the active mind as one way in which human beings were made in God’s image:” 0 likes
“To develope [sic] the powers of the Creator is our proper employment—and to imitate Creativeness by combination our most exalted and self-satisfying Delight.” 0 likes