Ka: Stories of the Mind and Gods of India

Ka: Stories of the Mind and Gods of India

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  38 reviews
"A giddy invasion of stories--brilliant, enigmatic, troubling, outrageous, erotic, beautiful." --The New York Times Book Review

"So brilliant that you can't look at it anymore--and you can't look at anything else. . . . No one will read it without reward."
--The Boston Globe

Published November 2nd 1999 by Vintage (first published 1996)

James Murphy
What Calasso did with western classical mythology in The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony he also does with Indian mythology. I was aware that Kali represents death and that Ganesha has the head of an elephant. A few years ago I read The Mahabharata. I have a basic familiarity with the life of Buddha. But that's a weak foundation for understanding the complex nature of Indian mythology. As a westerner I doubt I can properly appreciate in one reading the nuances and richness of their mythic traditi...more
Neha Asthana
Ka is a work of art, no less by the very brave Roberto Calasso. To bring to book, Indian mythology, ANY mythology, really, is a daring attempt to pick & prod through a dangerous territory of the book keepers of religion, the overlords of cults, the gardeners of religious doctrine & breeders of creeds. Calasso has somehow managed to paint this vast canvas with hues that complement the real picture, and woven a tapestry with many threads converging & diverging to create a regaling pict...more
Keram
Some of the most beautiful prose I have read, let alone in what appears to be a non-fiction book, though that is an impossible qualification considering it is exploring the origins of Hindu mythology. Reading this made my brain feel effervescent, and I often had to put the book down after a paragraph simply to savor what I had just read. And sometime this would last for weeks before I could return to it.
Oscar Calva
Ka es un libro fascinante. En la forma es un recuento de mitos hindúes, principalmente tomados de los textos del Rig Veda y el Ramayana, desde el inicio de los tiempos hasta el surgimiento del buda. En el fondo, este libro va mucho más allá de un simple recuento enciclopédico de leyendas e historias, y se adentra a profundidad en el pensamiento y la filosofía hindú a partir del conocimiento profundo y erudito que el autor tiene de dichos textos.

Leer estas historias de la mano de Calasso no es u...more
Gopal MS
Simply brilliant. Most Indians would have heard almost all the tales that are mentioned in this book. But this book strings all the mythological tales together very intelligently and with a perspective that only someone with a wider perspective of human nature and thought processes can give.

There is also something different about Italian writers. They write in a rich and often difficult language that takes time to get used to. But once you are comfortable with the translation, you will realise...more
John
I can't say that I learned anything; mostly I let his books seep in over a period of years, kind of like Milorad Pavic. Mostly I just jot down anytime he raises a question, such as "But how did it all begin?"
Oanh
Less wonderful (for me) than Marriage of Cadmus & Harmony but still great. Perhaps the problem was my lesser familiarity with Hindi mythology / cosmology etc.
Benjie Deford
I don't remember but I know it was read, need to re-read.
Emanuela
Mi ero riproposta di rileggere questo libro fra qualche anno. Invece è arrivato in ebook con un daily deal e non ho resistito all'anticipazione.
Di cosa parla sta scritto nella quarta.
Alla fine della lettura, però, non ci si ricorda quasi più niente tanti sono i nomi a cui si cerca di dare una connotazione che poi diventa un'altra cosa rispetto all'immagine che ci si era creati. Un dio è anche umano, ma ha sembianze animali e poi ti accorgi che ha il nome di una costellazione. Cosmogonia, guerre...more
Marts  (Thinker)
May 27, 2012 Marts (Thinker) marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I got this description of this book from Amazon,

--The Boston Globe

With the same narrative fecundity and imaginative sympathy he brought to his acclaimed retelling of the Greek myths, Roberto Calasso plunges Western readers into the mind of anci...more
Girish Malkarnenkar
Rating books on a 5 point scale is seldom easy, but this book takes the cake. As far as readability goes, it deserves a one. There is hardly any flow between consecutive paragraphs. The language is extremely dense and author has freely used metaphors and interrogatives, causing a near soporific effect. There have been occasions when I have used this book as a remedy for my insomnia.

Having said that, I feel the fault partly lies with me (the reader), because the author has definitely done his hom...more
Jee Koh
The Parasite of Consciousness

Calasso retells the Indian myths in this book, and makes them gripping, probing and mysterious. In the first story, Garuda, the eagle, is born to save his mother from slavery to her own sister. The method of the myths and of the retelling is described by Garuda himself: "So many things happening, so many stories one inside the other, with every link hiding yet more stories . . . And I've hardly hatched from my egg."

After freeing his mother, Garuda decided to devote h...more
Akhila Vijayaraghavan
Calasso has undertaken the mammoth task of going through classical Indian mythology and effectively boiling it down to "sound-bites". An excellent introduction to Vedic myth made even more interesting because it is written by an author so proficient in Greek myth -so the parallels he draws between the two are insightful.

The book is divided into parts starting from the beginning of creation and ending with the life of the Buddha. Each chapter can be read as a stand-alone story which could make t...more
Raj
This book is going to be difficult for me to review because it's not what I was expecting or wanting. I was hoping for a book that would take me through some of the stories of Hindu mythology, an area in which my knowledge is woefully inadequate, being limited to hazy childhood memories. However, it turned out to be more a setting out of some of the principles of Hindu philosophy, using some of the stories to hang that on to. This is a noble aim in itself, but it's not what I was looking for.

Tak...more
Shaina
Didn't finish it. About half way through I gave up. It gets very dense and way too philosophical that it doesn't make any sense. Some of the stories are great and very interesting but I ended up feeling more frustrated than anything else trying to understand this book. Maybe I'll attempt to read it again later. (I did my HBA at uofT in Hindu religion and mythology so that's saying a lot).
Namrata Jain
I should have waited a few more years to read this.
I really believe in reading the books at the right time in life to really enjoy them, and this got in a little early.
I really enjoyed the stories, especially about how amrta was procured and of Krishna, Buddha and Mahabharata.
Mahabharata is my favorite epic!
But there's just so much philosophy and so many second meanings, sadly I don't think I absorbed it all that well. Call it impatience or just a dis-interest in thinking of things to a depth I...more
Katalin Patnaik
It might be the translation, but this was a disgusting, depressing, negative interpretation of Hinduism. I could not finish it. I tried. really. but as soon as I opened it, I felt sick.

If it would be possible to give it negative stars, I would.
Claire
May 09, 2014 Claire marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Goodreads
It started out well, but very quickly became dry. It seems like the author has attempted to mimic the storytelling style of the originals: running narrative descriptions bordering on stream of consciousness. Almost like Alice in Wonderland, but less enthralling.
I would've like to see something with richer characters and more stable, if blossoming sense of time and space. This is magical realism spoken like realism, but the story is all magical and I don't care.
bummed.
I'm probably reading the U...more
Ryan
Beautifully poetic. My expectation (or hope?) that it would unravel the overlapping, intertwining, irreducible complexity of the vedas, upanishads, mahabarata, and buddhism was not destined for fulfillment ... but could I trust anything or anyone that irons flat such essential wrinkles?

Calasso is part of that astounding pool of Europe's poetic essayists, bringing unbelievable, polymathic erudition to the level of high-art ... think Michel Serres, Elias Cannetti, Claudio Magris, etc.
Phil
Dense and impenetrable. It was only stubbornness that got me through this book. I'm fascinated by mythology and casually interested in India, but I soon got the impression that a deep background in Hindu myth is required to make any sense of the book. Choked with Vedic jargon and a huge cast of interchangeable characters, this book left me no more enlightened than before I read it.
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Roberto Calasso tells the stories of India very poetically, one can get lost in his words. The stories are unusual but based on historical myths. I expected more explanation of where the stories fit into mythic cycles, instead I was immersed in story land. I enjoyed reading it but it left me confused at times but also wanting to know more about India's mythic history.
Chitranjan Tyagi
Ka is a great book about the gods and religious practices of ancient India. I read this book in Hindi and in a day. It was great to read the interpretation of an outsider. I do not know if anybody has said so much in such brevity on this topic. Although, it covers only minuscule section of Indian myths and stories, still it makes a great reading.
Harish Balan
Ka decodes Hindu myth in a style that might be scandalous to the fascists. However, the book reasons out a lot of stories in Hindu myth with a very original idea. Roberto's complex and erotic style of writing might not make the book a terrific page-turner. And still it's probably te best book about Hindu mythology that anyone has ever written.
Megan
Some words I would use to describe this book (and the other book of his I read, the Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony): circuitous, philosophical, obfuscated, illuminated. Enjoyable. Weird. I don't know where the myths stop and he begins. This is as intriguing as it is stumping.
Meghna Pant
If this novel is read not as a book but as poetry, by way of absorbing each sentence at a time, then you'll forgive the author for the disjointed narrative, and savour instead the scorching language and the uplifting ideology that bring another life world into your hands.
vlthm
I'm only at a third of a book and I know this is a work of art. The resonance of each sentence, the incredible high number of spared deepness renders it a vibrant eloge of human conscience through history, its development and its roots. This is a pure chant for the mind.
Athena Artuso
Reading this book is like climbing a mountain: a hard, uphill trek. But the views I glimpsed along the way were peerless. I'll have to read it and re-read it over the years to begin to understand it, but even my first reading has convinced me this is an incredible book.
Paulina Rendón Poujol
"Cuántos acontecimientos, cuántas historias una dentro de la otra, en cada juntura esconden otras historias...Y apenas acabo de salir del huevo".
Lo dijo Garuda volando al Norte.
sudeshna
Sep 04, 2007 sudeshna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in epic
If you think you know anything about hindu mythology, take another look. If you dont, start a fresh one. Went on to read his marriage of Cadmus and Harmony;equally fascinating
  • Upanisads
  • Ramayana: Divine Loophole
  • The Pancatantra
  • Manituana
  • Panchatantra
  • Hinduism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Folktales from India (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Yoga: Immortality and Freedom
  • Gods of the Greeks
  • Mudras: Yogas in Your Hands
  • Folk and Fairy Tales
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing
Roberto Calasso (born 30 May 1941 in Florence) is an Italian publisher and writer. He was born into a family of the local upper class, well connected with some of the great Italian intellectuals of their time. His maternal grandfather Giovanni Codignola was a professor of philosophy at Florence University. Codignola created a new publishing house called La Nuova Italia, in Florence, just like his...more
More about Roberto Calasso...
The Marriage of Cadmus and Harmony Literature and the Gods The Ruin of Kasch K. La Folie Baudelaire

“They had to stir the churn of the ocean, until the soma floated up, as butter floats from milk. And this task could not be undertaken in opposition to the Asuras, but only with their help. The pronouncement ran contrary to everything the Devas had previously thought. But in the end, what did they have to lose, given that their lives were so futile? Now they thought: Anything, so long as there be a trial, a risk, a task.” 1 likes