Start by marking “The Guardian of Threshold (Threshold, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Guardian of Threshold (Threshold, #1)

The Guardian of Threshold (Threshold #1)

Love survives everything… even death. Unfortunately, so does hate.
When Mark wants to see his dead mother again… he gets his chance. But, like everything else in life… it comes with a hefty price.

While normal sixteen-year-old boys are out chasing girls, Mark is floating outside his own body being chased by a nefarious demon.
Death itself can't keep him from trying to see his
Kindle Edition, First, 300 pages
Published December 7th 2012 by Wave Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Guardian of Threshold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guardian of Threshold

Thalia
Jan 19, 2013 Thalia rated it it was amazing
All it took was two statements from the author in his dedication - yes, that's right, the dedication, that which comes before the story - to hook me:

"The sky is not the limit - there's no limit, and the possibilities are infinite and unimaginable"; and

"...there's more to life than meets the eye."

These give us a sneak preview into the mind of author A.A. Volts, whose ideologies it was apparent from the get-go, I both admire and share. Though I tend to indulge these philosophies through reading ne
Alyse Garner
Jan 23, 2013 Alyse Garner rated it liked it
Mark, an otherwise normal 16 year old boy, blames himself for the death of his mother when he was but five years old; discovering that he has the ability to project his spiritual body into the world of the dead Mark goes in search of his mother in the underworld. However an encounter with the Guardian of the Threshold between the living and the dead poses a great threat to Mark and endangers his best friend’s life.

Reasonably well written, Guardian of Threshold – a title that’s a little hard to g
Ray  Charles
Jan 16, 2013 Ray Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read written by an author who can clearly hold the attention of the reader well. Lots of drama and suspense as Volts takes us on an adventure into the unknown, into the world of the paranormal.

I enjoyed this book, and mostly the author’s style which allows you to get into the fears and thoughts of the main characters

I also enjoyed the main character Mark, and his relationship with his childhood sweetheart (if only he would confess it), Carla.

Tormented by an entity called the Guardian of
Bill Tillman
Surprise! Paranormal Fantasy, I usually just put on the to be read list. The Guardian of Threshold is an exception, in fact it is an exceptional read beginning to end.

Mark Anthony Ryser is 16 and has only two true friends, Carla and Jonas Weber. All three take a fantastic adventure in the world of 'out of the body' experience. The bad guy is Phasma--The Guardian of Threshold, who is really BAD! Mark wants more than anything else in life to visit his dead mother who died when he was 5. This is a
Roberta Staymates
Jan 24, 2013 Roberta Staymates rated it it was amazing
An interesting read and voyage into the paranormal. It follows Mark Ryser, a young man devastated by his mother's death. He turns to danger and adventure to distract him, from flying a plan in a thunderstorm to experimenting with astral projections in order to find his mother in the after-life. But there he faces a Guardian like no other. Will he be able to thwart this supernatural foe
Matt
May 07, 2013 Matt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise to The Guardian of Threshold had a lot of promise. A boy named Mark has discovered a way to potentially see his dead mother again in what is called the Astral Realm, basically the world or dimension of the dead and those who can travel there in their sleep. Like I said, the concept is quite intriguing.

In then end, the book was an utter disappointment. The majority of the book I spent completely annoyed, perhaps even angry, with Volts writing style. The first person style combined wit
Avardsin
Apr 18, 2013 Avardsin rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Sure it can be classed as a kids book, but i'm fine with that. The way it seems to me is the difference between children story and young adult is that children revolves more around the actual story than relationships.

This story there is plenty of adventure and i like that, it was a relief from the romantic aspect of young adult which almost always revolve around a love triangle... or a forsaken love, or troubled love and you can only read them soo many times before yo
Ravencrantz
Not what I expected, but then again I'm not really sure what I expected. I did enjoy the story and the world of the Astral Realm and the Threshold, even if it wasn't always clear what the difference was between the two. I think the Astral Realm was just when your spirit left your body, but the Threshold was where all the other creatures lived. Then there were the whole Dayside, Nightside, and Twilight areas...the world building needed a bit of work. What was there, though, was very good.

I think
Chris
Feb 02, 2013 Chris rated it it was ok
I didn't completely hate this book. I want to state that right off the bat. The story, in and of itself, is solid and interesting. I have an easy time imagining fairies, vampires, demons, centaurs, starships, phasers, and pretty much everything under the science-fiction/fantasy sun.

Unfortunately, I find this book hard to imagine. Not because of the base storyline. No, that part is perfectly fine. The idea of searching for a mother that was thought to have been lost, and going to great lengths to
Roberto Mattos
Nov 06, 2013 Roberto Mattos rated it really liked it
This is quite an interesting book, that will keep you hooked from the beginning. The author uses an idea that one's conscience can leave the physical body and travel to other realms. Based on this idea, his story develops when Mark, our hero, and his two best friends (Carla and Jonas) decided to test if the so called astral projection works and they decided to try it and do an experience to prove this theory. But what Mark really wants is to meet his dead mother once more. But during this trial, ...more
Natalie
Dec 11, 2012 Natalie rated it it was amazing
Remember feeling afraid of the dark?
As if someone or something was breathing malice down your neck in the folds of the darkness that enveloped the kitchen or the living room? And no matter how far you ran or how fast the feeling simply intensified until you reached people, like family?

A.A. does an awesome job explaining what that may be. In a well paced adventure of three (later four) friends, he tells a story of loss, hell and eternal darkness. Certain things seem to ring true to the things we
Michikit
Jan 14, 2013 Michikit rated it it was amazing
First I just need to say that the cover is gorgeous and yes, I am still looking first at the cover to decide if I will like the book or not. Not very healthy, I know, but this time I was right: both the cover and the story were breathtaking.

I have been simply hypnotized by the story, and it was a fast, light reading. I found this as being a unique idea for a book; I've never read a novel about astral projection and I never thought that this subject could be this interesting. So the story follows
Ipub
Nov 09, 2015 Ipub rated it it was amazing
Cover snobbery for the win! When I see covers like this, I take it as a promise. The author cared enough to hire an amazing designer, so I truest they cared enough to write the best story they could and hire an amazing editor as well. AA Volts did not disappoint. As an avid, passionate reader of paranormal, this book hit all the right marks for me. Mark Ryser, our teenage hero, was as troubled as he was strong, making for a dynamic lead character whose love for his family can do more than more m ...more
Melanie
Feb 09, 2013 Melanie rated it liked it
The Guardians of Threshold was a good story line. It was written from a teenager perspective and therefore it was a quick read. The hardest part I had reading the book was all the grammatical errors in the book. I read a LOT of books and it was frustrating with all the errors.

The story is about a boy who wants to see if out of body experiences are real and if he can see his dead mother. After getting the help of his two best friends to do the experiment it becomes quite a journey of having to f
Roy Station
Jan 22, 2013 Roy Station rated it it was amazing
Young Mark is completely distraught after the death of his mother, which he blames himself for. However, he discovers a means of making contact with her again, leading to extraordinary happenings. It has a smashing plot that takes you to lots of strange and scary places. Although nothing is too complicated with everything being very clearly explained by the author. It is a thoroughly enjoyable paranormal fantasy that I can highly recommend.
Lalabikida Poppy
Apr 16, 2013 Lalabikida Poppy rated it really liked it
I normally don't read YA books but this one kept me interested. I did find in the beginning becoming anxious to see what would happen as the main character Mark realized what was going on within himself. I won't spill out any spoilers, but there are some lessons to be learned from this book about life and death. Highly recommend this book for YA and Adults.
Cassy
Jun 16, 2013 Cassy rated it it was ok
Interesting premise, poor execution sadly. It felt like a teenager had written it as well. The whole idea with the boy crying all the time didn't really work for me. I understand he missed his mom, but it was almost to the point of being pathetic. If you are looking for a quick summer read, then by all means try this book.
Angela Grim
Jan 12, 2013 Angela Grim rated it it was ok
Great idea, but horribly poor grammar and spelling. Many spots in the book where the author leaves gaps and explenations and you feel left out and lost. Extremely fast paced and not in a good way. The concept is amazing, the author is just a poor write. I will not be buying the second book, I can't stand the grammar, spelling, and the obvious lack of story and detail.
Taylor
Feb 13, 2013 Taylor rated it liked it
I liked the concept of the story. I liked the main character's relationship with his best friends (& crush). I found it really depressing when Mark went over the few days after his mother died. Ahh. That was so sad. All in all, a fun book.
Bj Barbosa
Mar 15, 2014 Bj Barbosa rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable book. I was intrigued with the whole astra projection, sleep travel aspect of the novel. It was an unsual and compelling way to look at life after death. I will read the next story at some point I'm sure!
Joy
Mar 23, 2013 Joy rated it liked it
I liked this book. I really like the thought of astral projection and that's what this book was about. Visiting other places and worlds are so much fun. I really enjoyed the world of Threshold, it sounds so beautiful and scary at the same time. The trip to the moon was fun.
Teresa Lavender
Feb 12, 2013 Teresa Lavender rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this here on goodreads. Well worth the reading. Fantasy about a teen who never got over the loss of his mother. Definitely got the feel that this was from the perspective of a teen. Excellent story.
April Hesler
Jun 10, 2013 April Hesler rated it it was amazing
It was hard for me to get into this book but once I did, I fell in love... Can't wait for the next one to come out..
Susan Toy
Oct 09, 2013 Susan Toy rated it did not like it
This was a free eBook I recently downloaded. I did not read very far before I realized that this book was just not for me, hence the one-star rating.
Amber
Aug 05, 2013 Amber rated it did not like it
Not a fan. I couldn't even be bothered to finish. interesting idea, horrible execution. Grammar and spelling mistakes are also present.
Michelle
Nov 06, 2016 Michelle rated it it was ok
Good book

You people should just read this novel yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourself and I really enjoyed reading this novel very much so.Shelley MA
NightlyEssence
Jan 22, 2013 NightlyEssence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I really enjoyed reading this book. It was amazing from beginning to end. I can't wait for the next book in the series.
Lawrence Perry
Lawrence Perry rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Madeline Levy
Madeline Levy rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Requiem for Blood
  • Time Walker (Spirit Bound #1)
  • Lark's Quest (The Deeds of the Ariane Novellas, #1)
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles, #1)
  • Disconnect (Divided Worlds, #1)
  • The Chalice and the Blade (Chalice Trilogy, #1)
  • Sentinel (Sentinel Trilogy, #1)
  • Pity Isn't an Option (Cozenage, #1)
  • Uprising (Fires of Providence, #1)
  • Alexandria
  • Ravens
  • Hyacinth (Svatura, #2)
  • Children of Sun (Oracles Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • The Beast Within (The Elite, #1)
  • Beyond the Veil
  • The Book Waitress (The Book Waitress, #1)
  • Daisy Madigan's Paradise (Morgan Sisters, #1.5)
  • Cruxim
A.A. Volts, was born in Brazil, he fell in love with the English language very young. He was 8 at the time, from then on he studied the language and wrote. His first book was at the age 13 still in Brazil. He wrote that book with a pencil in one hand and a Portuguese to English dictionary on the other.
He was 19 years old when he moved to the United States in pursuit of his dreams.
He started writin
More about A.A. Volts...

Threshold (3 books)
  • Dweller on the Threshold (Threshold, #2)
  • The Threshold Keeper (Threshold, #3)