Mrs Hudson's Case (A Russell & Holmes Story)

Mrs Hudson's Case (A Russell & Holmes Story)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When Sherlock Holmes retired to the Sussex Downs, his long-time (and long-suffering) housekeeper, Mrs Hudson, went along to run his life. But when the house is invaded, shortly after his meeting with Miss Mary Russell, Mr Holmes refuses to turn his mind to the problem, leaving Mrs Hudson herself to solve the case.
Kindle Edition
Published November 27th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

Suz
Mar 06, 2014 Suz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
A short mystery featuring Russell and Mrs. Hudson, with Holmes in the background. Small thefts have been occurring in homes around the area and Mrs. Hudson has noticed things missing as well. When Holmes can't be bothered to look into it, Mary agrees to set up a camera to catch the thief in the act. Then she returns to her university classes, but becomes concerned when she doesn't hear from Mrs. Hudson. She knows Holmes is off working on a kidnapping case, so she is very worried and decides to f...more
Maribeth
This is not one of Laurie R. King's best efforts; I have a tendency to think that shorter stories are more tightly written, and better plotted, but this one seemed a little weak to me. I also assumed that a story from Mrs. Hudson's POV would be funnier and... well, I was wrong: it was from Mary Russell's POV, and it really failed to give me the slightly satirical edge I had hoped for (I wanted a civilians view point of the great detective, but King didn't seem to want to explore what I thought w...more
Nikki
I have to confess that I've never before read any of Laurie R. King's Mary Ryssell/Sherlock Holmes series. It's a fit of pique on my part since i liked A Darker Place so much -- it appears that perhaps it was intended as the start of a series and didn't get continued. At any7 rate, I may have to change my behavior, since this short story (it was free, I think, for Kindle at Christmas time) was well-plotted, gave new depth to the character of Mrs. Hudson, and introduced me to Mary Russell, who se...more
Bethany
Not my favorite of the mid-series short stories that I've read, but I did like that it paid homage to a character that has been taken for granted for a century.
Linda
Sherlock Holmes has moved to Sussex Downs and his housekeeper/landlady, Mrs. Hudson decided there was more excitement to be had if she followed. In this short story Holmes leaves quite quickly to help Scotland Yard with a case. However, Mrs. Hudson has her own mystery to solve when things go missing in the house. Mary Russell starts out to help find the culprit but soon finds that Mrs. Hudson no longer wants or needs her help. Mrs. Hudson is hiding something and Mary Russell is going to find out...more
Magdalena
A quick read, nothing amazing, but a sweet little story about what a big heart Mrs Hudson's have.
Jesse
In which Mrs. Hudson helps the Baudelaire children escape from Count Olaf.

This was short and cute. I liked getting to see Mrs. Hudson get more "air time" in the series :P
Glen
Mar 02, 2014 Glen added it
Really, really short.
Celiavg
Not a bad little snack but leaves me wanting more of a meal.
Lori
A very enjoyable , very short story featuring the often forgotten Mrs Hudson. It was fun to read about her from a viewpoint that was more than a fussy housekeeper/cook. Would be a great character to feature for future mysteries. Laurie King again manages to produces a clever and imaginative twist on the Holmes characters that her fans truly appreciate.
Rick Ludwig
A nice short visit with Mary Russell and, briefly, Sherlock Holmes. It was fun but a bit disjointed. I always enjoy Laurie King's Mary Russell books and have enjoyed previous short stories she has released about these wonderful characters. This one was just a cut below the others, but I'm glad I bought it and read it.
Adventure_chick
Cute little short from Laurie R. King. I prefer the novel editions of Mary Russell's memoirs because I feel it's hard to truly get a sense of the characters from this story. Having read several of the MR books already, I did enjoy this story.
Anne Mulder
Mrs Hudson does have a mind of her own and she knows how to use it. Holms is looking into a case and Mary is at school, but a visit home shows Mary the mystery and together they find the solution.
Yosef Shapiro
A good short story. If you have not ever read a Holmes and Rusell mystery before, this is not the one to start with. IT does not really illustrate their relationship well at all.
Rae
It's only 14 pages. It counts! I was a little sad that the action all seemed to happen "off stage" as it were, but it was an excellent way to spend a lunch hour.
Michele
Very short, very cute short story proving that Sherlock Holmes' stalwart housekeeper, Mrs Hudson, has a few secrets of her own.
stitchnsnitch
This was a good addition to the Russell and Holmes canon, but I felt it ended a bit quickly.
Bibliophile
A charming slice-of-life focusing on Martha Hudson, Holmes' long-suffering housekeeper.
Yorky Caz
nice little read. its good to finally give mrs hudson a voice
Margie
Cute addition to Laurie R. King's Holmes/Russell world.
Kaye Dewar
Short but wonderful!
Laura Battle
More please!
Tracy Munro
Tracy Munro marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Debra Bradshaw
Debra Bradshaw marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Jackie Maresca
Jackie Maresca marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Femme Fatale (Irene Adler, #7)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead
  • Blood on the Strand (Thomas Chaloner, #2)
  • Anne of Green Gables Collection: 11 Books (Anne of Green Gables, #1-3, #5, #7-8)
  • Masked Ball at Broxley Manor (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #0.5)
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • Louisa and the Missing Heiress (A Louisa May Alcott Mystery, #1)
  • A Cold Treachery (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #7)
  • Sherlock Holmes Through Time and Space
  • Don't Pass Me by
  • Tales from the Loon Town Cafe
  • The Designer Bag at the Garbage Dump
  • The Oak Apple (Morland Dynasty, #4)
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • Dead Roots (The Analyst, #1)
  • To Kill an Armchair Husband: A Dark Comedy
Edgar-winning mystery writer Laurie R. King writes series and standalone novels. Her official forum is
THE LRK VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB here on Goodreads--please join us for book-discussing fun.

King's most recent novel The Bones of Paris sees Touchstone's Harris Stuyvesant and Bennett Grey find the darkness beneath the light of 1929 Paris. In the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series, a brilliant teen bec...more
More about Laurie R. King...
The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1) A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell, #2) O Jerusalem (Mary Russell, #5) A Letter of Mary (Mary Russell, #3) The Language of Bees (Mary Russell, #9)