Start by marking “Mrs Hudson's Case (Mary Russell, #12.5)” as Want to Read:
Mrs Hudson's Case (Mary Russell, #12.5)

Mrs Hudson's Case (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes)

When Sherlock Holmes retired to the Sussex Downs, his long-time (and long-suffering) housekeeper, Mrs Hudson, went along to run his life. But when the house is invaded, shortly after his meeting with Miss Mary Russell, Mr Holmes refuses to turn his mind to the problem, leaving Mrs Hudson herself to solve the case.

Note: Mrs Hudson's Case is now also included in King's 2016
Published November 27th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services / Laurie R. King

To ask other readers questions about Mrs Hudson's Case, please sign up.

Robin I believe that all of Laurie R King's previous Mary Russell short stories are being compiled into a book and have been taken off the market.
Robin I believe that all of Laurie R King's previous Mary Russell short stories are being compiled into a book and therefore have been taken off the market.…moreI believe that all of Laurie R King's previous Mary Russell short stories are being compiled into a book and therefore have been taken off the market. (less)

Lela
Nov 12, 2014 Lela rated it liked it
Not a bad little story. Nothing very mysterious about it but it was cute. Set after Sherlock left London and explains how Mrs Hudson came to be his housekeeper in the English countryside. Mary has a role and is narrator. Probably only of interest to Laurie King or Sherlock Holmes die-hard fans. That would include me.
Lora
Dec 29, 2013 Lora rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sherlock Holmes Fans, Mary Russell Fans, Mystery Fans
This is very good. I love the description at the beginning of the story of what Mrs. Hudson thought about Holmes vacating 221B, her reaction to the new tenants, and how and why she ultimately chose to stay connected to that insufferable genius of a man.

I think it would not be a stretch to say that Holmes was a wreck without her, and quite frankly she without him. When the better part of 3 or 4 decades are spent in a certain lifestyle changing those habits so completely is often difficult if not
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
A quick read, nothing amazing, but a sweet little story about what a big heart Mrs Hudson's have.
Maribeth
Aug 04, 2013 Maribeth rated it really liked it
This is not one of Laurie R. King's best efforts; I have a tendency to think that shorter stories are more tightly written, and better plotted, but this one seemed a little weak to me. I also assumed that a story from Mrs. Hudson's POV would be funnier and... well, I was wrong: it was from Mary Russell's POV, and it really failed to give me the slightly satirical edge I had hoped for (I wanted a civilians view point of the great detective, but King didn't seem to want to explore what I thought w ...more
Nikki
I have to confess that I've never before read any of Laurie R. King's Mary Ryssell/Sherlock Holmes series. It's a fit of pique on my part since i liked A Darker Place so much -- it appears that perhaps it was intended as the start of a series and didn't get continued. At any7 rate, I may have to change my behavior, since this short story (it was free, I think, for Kindle at Christmas time) was well-plotted, gave new depth to the character of Mrs. Hudson, and introduced me to Mary Russell, who se ...more
Suz
Mar 06, 2014 Suz rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A short mystery featuring Russell and Mrs. Hudson, with Holmes in the background. Small thefts have been occurring in homes around the area and Mrs. Hudson has noticed things missing as well. When Holmes can't be bothered to look into it, Mary agrees to set up a camera to catch the thief in the act. Then she returns to her university classes, but becomes concerned when she doesn't hear from Mrs. Hudson. She knows Holmes is off working on a kidnapping case, so she is very worried and decides to f ...more
Linda
Sherlock Holmes has moved to Sussex Downs and his housekeeper/landlady, Mrs. Hudson decided there was more excitement to be had if she followed. In this short story Holmes leaves quite quickly to help Scotland Yard with a case. However, Mrs. Hudson has her own mystery to solve when things go missing in the house. Mary Russell starts out to help find the culprit but soon finds that Mrs. Hudson no longer wants or needs her help. Mrs. Hudson is hiding something and Mary Russell is going to find out ...more
Rick Ludwig
A nice short visit with Mary Russell and, briefly, Sherlock Holmes. It was fun but a bit disjointed. I always enjoy Laurie King's Mary Russell books and have enjoyed previous short stories she has released about these wonderful characters. This one was just a cut below the others, but I'm glad I bought it and read it.
Lori
Mar 01, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable , very short story featuring the often forgotten Mrs Hudson. It was fun to read about her from a viewpoint that was more than a fussy housekeeper/cook. Would be a great character to feature for future mysteries. Laurie King again manages to produces a clever and imaginative twist on the Holmes characters that her fans truly appreciate.
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
A short story (definitely not a novella) in which Mrs. Hudson, aided occasionally by Mary, gets the better of Sherlock Holmes. Sort of. It's fun if you're already a fan, but won't make much sense unless you already know the characters. Chronologically, it takes place during The Beekeeper's Apprentice, so it's best to read at least that book first.
Paula
Oct 31, 2014 Paula rated it liked it
Cute story. Love this series.
Glen
Feb 18, 2014 Glen added it
Really, really short.
Alexandra
Get it now if you want it, it's going away Feb 1st,

Michelle
Nov 02, 2016 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Not much to it, but it shows how much of a backbone Mrs. Hudson has.
Anne Mulder
Mar 22, 2013 Anne Mulder rated it really liked it
Mrs Hudson does have a mind of her own and she knows how to use it. Holms is looking into a case and Mary is at school, but a visit home shows Mary the mystery and together they find the solution.
Jaylee
Mar 07, 2014 Jaylee rated it really liked it
In which Mrs. Hudson helps the Baudelaire children escape from Count Olaf.

This was short and cute. I liked getting to see Mrs. Hudson get more "air time" in the series :P
Linda
Cutesy. Obvious.
Yosef Shapiro
Apr 16, 2013 Yosef Shapiro rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
A good short story. If you have not ever read a Holmes and Rusell mystery before, this is not the one to start with. IT does not really illustrate their relationship well at all.
Laura Battle
Jun 04, 2013 Laura Battle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, mystery
More please!
Michele
Jun 28, 2013 Michele rated it really liked it
Very short, very cute short story proving that Sherlock Holmes' stalwart housekeeper, Mrs Hudson, has a few secrets of her own.
Judith
Mrs. Hudson tries her hand at solving a mystery.
Kelly
Jan 03, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
cute, short read. full quality of the novels
Gennielc
Sep 06, 2014 Gennielc rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
cute story, but far too short, even for a short story.
Neeuqdrazil
Yet another short story from early in the lives of Russell and Holmes. More about Mrs. Hudson this time, which always makes me happy - she's delightful.
Cyn Mcdonald
Reprinted in Mary Russell's War.
Kaye Dewar
Dec 28, 2012 Kaye Dewar rated it it was amazing
Short but wonderful!
Pauletta
Nov 17, 2015 Pauletta rated it really liked it
Quick read.
Sandy
I just finished Mrs. Hudson's Case and, while it was a fine story, it was so very short. I got it from the library but would have been annoyed if I had bought it.
Celiavg
Jan 19, 2014 Celiavg rated it liked it
Not a bad little snack but leaves me wanting more of a meal.
  • Another Scandal in Bohemia (Irene Adler, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Skelton Diamonds: A Detective Lavender Short Story
  • Death on the Nile: A Short Short Story (Parker Pyne)
  • The Detective and The Woman: A Novel of Sherlock Holmes
  • Degrees of Delusion
  • Masked Ball at Broxley Manor (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #0.5)
  • The Wandering Arm (Catherine LeVendeur, #3)
  • Herald of Death (Pennyfoot Hotel #19)
  • Crime Through Time (Crime Through Time, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ice Palace Murders: From the American Chronicles of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Mrs. Jeffries Learns the Trade (Mrs Jeffries #1-3)
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey, #15)
  • The Weapon (Short Stories (Michelle Sagara West) #4)
  • A Cold Treachery (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #7)
  • The Shadows of Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Collection)
  • The Winding Road  (The Morland Dynasty, #34)
Edgar-winning mystery writer Laurie R. King writes series and standalone novels. Her official forum is
THE LRK VIRTUAL BOOK CLUB here on Goodreads--please join us for book-discussing fun.

King's most recent novel, Dreaming Spies, sees Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes travel from Japan to Oxford, in a case with international players and personal meaning. The Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series foll
More about Laurie R. King...

Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell, #1)
  • A Monstrous Regiment of Women (Mary Russell, #2)
  • A Letter of Mary (Mary Russell, #3)
  • The Moor (Mary Russell, #4)
  • O Jerusalem (Mary Russell, #5)
  • Justice Hall (Mary Russell, #6)
  • The Game (Mary Russell, #7)
  • Locked Rooms (Mary Russell, #8)
  • The Language of Bees (Mary Russell, #9)
  • The God of the Hive (Mary Russell, #10)