Start by marking “Quarrel & Quandary: Essays” as Want to Read:
Quarrel & Quandary: Essays

Quarrel & Quandary: Essays

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Quarrel & Quandary showcases the manifold talents of one of our leading and award-winning critics and essayists.

In nineteen opulent essays, Cynthia Ozick probes Dostoevsky for insights into the Unabomber, questions the role of the public intellectual, and dares to wonder what poetry is. She roams effortlessly from Kafka to James, Styron to Stein, and, in the book's mos
Published November 13th 2001 by Vintage (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Quarrel & Quandary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quarrel & Quandary

lesmana
I should preface this by saying that I'm not even close to being at the level necessary to understand most of Cynthia Ozick's essays, since a great deal of her work comments on literature I haven't read. The four-star review is purely on the strength of a single essay entitled "The Synthetic Sublime", a pre-9/11 piece on the character of New York City. This piece was a revelation to me when I first read it in 2000, demonstrating a command of metaphor and imagery that I hadn't before considered p ...more
Rebecca H.
Quarrel and Quandary, a collection of essays, is the first book by Cynthia Ozick that I’ve read, and I finished it feeling impressed. Perhaps what stands out most strongly to me is her serious, firm, no-nonsense, occasionally devastating argumentation style. I would not ever want to be the subject of Ozick’s critique; she can be frighteningly effective when goes on the attack.

The essays cover a range of material. Many of them are literary in nature, including essays on Kafka, Dostoevsky, Sebald,
Brian Davis
A wonderful book of essays on literature, politics, the tension between reason and imagination, and the role(s) of the intellectual in society. It's nice to read someone who actually still thinks thoughtful writing is important. No surprise that hers turns out to be just that. I recommend "Imaginary People," "Public Intellectuals," "The Posthumous Sublime," and especially "The Impious Impatience of Job."
Lawrence
This is the first thing I've ever ready by Cynthia Ozich. Not sure that I have the background to make an assessment of Ozick's essays in this volume. She has more extensive knowledge of literature than I do. But her writing is interesting and she has some provocative things to say about writing and life.
Michele
haven't read this one specifically, but I've dipped into her nonfiction every once in a while. A very impressive prose stylist, but very little substance, and insufferably cynical (in my view).
Ctb
Critics and her colleagues regularly bestow honors on her. I don't know why. I thought most of these essays were banal and trite and could have been written as well by a talented high schooler.
Josh Hanagarne
One of my very favorite essayists. Ozick has a formidable intellect and wow, she can write. I rarely even care what she writes about, she can make any subject interesting to me.
Felix
The essay on Kafka is highly recommended.
Kyley
Kyley marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Rick Vetrone
Rick Vetrone marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Cady
Cady marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Anna Ker
Anna Ker marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Patrick Barrett
Patrick Barrett is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Lane
Lane marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Ricardo
Ricardo marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Brittany Allen
Brittany Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Catie
Catie marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
  • The Common Reader
  • Arts of the Possible: Essays and Conversations
  • What Light Can Do: Essays on Art, Imagination, and the Natural World
  • I Could Tell You Stories: Sojourns in the Land of Memory
Recipient of the first Rea Award for the Short Story (in 1976; other winners Rea honorees include Lorrie Moore, John Updike, Alice Munro), an American Academy of Arts and Letters Mildred and Harold Strauss Living Award, and the PEN/Malamud award in 2008.

Upon publication of her 1983 The Shawl, Edmund White wrote in the New York Times, "Miss Ozick strikes me as the best American writer to have emerg
More about Cynthia Ozick...
The Shawl Foreign Bodies Heir to the Glimmering World The Puttermesser Papers The Messiah of Stockholm