Start by marking “Treasured Chest” as Want to Read:
Treasured Chest

Treasured Chest

The last thing Captain Sirena expected to find on a desolate island was...him!

When Carmen Ventura takes up her post as commander of the Strega, she becomes the new Captain Sirena, the legendary pirate most people think is just a myth created to scare children. Her first quest is to search for the “treasured chest” hidden by her predecessor. But before she can even begin th
Published November 20th 2012 by Black Opal Books

To ask other readers questions about Treasured Chest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasured Chest

Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I am a very big fan of pirate movies, but I haven't read many pirate books, sadly :( I really looked forward to this one, and it really was a fun read, especially because it's set in the Adriatic Sea <3
It is rather light, romantic, with female pirates and a search for treasure :)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The story

After the death of the infamous pirate Captain Sirena, Carmen takes her place, and her name, in order keep the legend alive :)
The pirate ship Strega and the crew, all females, are pretty much like a pirate Ro
K.A. Krisko
Jan 30, 2013 K.A. Krisko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was a fun read, and quite well done. The author’s obviously familiar with the setting in the Adriatic Sea or has done her research quite well, and this is reflected in the authentic place names and descriptions. There’s good use of sea-faring terms without overwhelming the reader with technicalities. The plot moves along at a steady pace; there’s swashbuckling action and romantic interludes, mystery and family crises. The characters were well-drawn, with distinct personalities and ...more
Marise Ghorayeb
Jan 05, 2013 Marise Ghorayeb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t read much romance and I don’t think I have ever read a pirate story. As such, I honestly did not expect to like this when I started. It took exactly one chapter for me to change my mind.
First of all, the thing I have most against romance is that I typically find the love triangles and cat and mouse games somewhat boring. But mix a heavy dose of lust and romance with pirate battles, treasure, mystery, death and danger and it’s a different story entirely. I loved this.

I was drawn to Carm
A. Bookzilla.
Not only did I read a historical novel, I read a pirate book - both of which aren't really my thing. It's the language - when I read saucy wench, bosom and ravish and it's not said in a joking manner, I still can't take it seriously.

The reason I picked this book to read is because of the setting. The whole thing happens along the Adriatic coast - one of my favorite places in the world where I spend a good part of summer every year, and I have to admit the author did it justice! She really captur
Randy Massey
Jun 27, 2013 Randy Massey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an extremely well written story that keeps you on the edge of your seat of expectations! It grabs you right from the get go and keeps you "involved" throughout the total story. The characters come to life in amazing ways. Unique was the heroine, a female pirate, and the love story that was beautifully developed, too. The author's in depth research shines through over and over again. Was not able to put it down until I was finished with it. Very much so looking forward to more works ...more
Steven Drachman
Feb 03, 2013 Steven Drachman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pirate Carmen is surprised when she is tapped to replace Sirena as captain of the legendary Strega, an all-woman pirate ship that most people in the 18th century have heard of but believe doesn’t really exist. Treasured Chest follows the new Sirena’s journey from shipmate to pirate captain, her discovery of true love, her search for the original Sirena’s lost treasure, and one fateful final battle.

I really enjoyed this. I love pirate stories, and I was intrigued years ago when I read in Islands
Debbie Christiana
What’s not to love about story that has a pirate ship named The Strega, with a captain and crew of women, considered by many to be a myth - especially when a handsome captain loses his ship, and he and his crew must come aboard?

I really enjoyed this book. Captain Sirena is a strong, vibrant woman and does what need to be done while not losing her feminine allure. Captain Marko Lucin is a man without a ship and without the normal male ego problems of fighting side by side with women.

It was a hi
Asher Tensei
Dec 08, 2012 Asher Tensei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had no problem starting up. I was engulfed into the story from the teaser in the beginning and the pace was kept swift and interesting for the rest of the book. It's historical fiction, but I'm sure anyone modern can get into after. After all, this isn't normally my genre.

I won't give spoilers, but this book was very descriptive, I actually felt as if I were there on the ship dodging cannon fire myself! The conflict is set up early with the demise of the Captain, and that's all I'll sa
Christoph Fischer
"Treasured Chest" by Zrinka Jelic is a romance novel set on a Pirate ship run by women.
What captivated me from the beginning was the detailed description of the pirate ship, the competent, obviously well researched and authentic-feeling setting that gave the story a sense of authority. This made it easy for me to continue reading what I was led to believe would be an easy read, but combined with the strength of the writing and Jelic's skilled use of language however the setting inspired confide
Len
Feb 04, 2013 Len rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Treasured Chest by Zrinka Jelic is a historical romance book! At first, it did take me awhile to get into it, but once I got past the first chapter of the book I was hooked. This is the first time I have read a book about a woman, who is a pirate and became a Captain of a ship with a crew of women on it. It is very interesting and it made me want to read more of the book.

Carmen Ventura is a young beautiful woman with long black curly hair and grey eyes. She had joined the Strega ship under the c
Cassandra Ulrich
Apr 05, 2014 Cassandra Ulrich rated it it was amazing
Of Pirates and Unexpected Treasure.
“Treasured Chest” by Zrinka Jelic is a story about female pirates of the Strega on a mission to help the poor folk downtrodden by nobility. It reminded me of Robin Hood on the seas, but the strong yet feminine touch was refreshing.
With the previous Captain Sirena’s passing in the first chapter, Carmen Ventura was named as the new captain to take her place. With notorious stories spread about the existence of the Strega, the new Captain Sirena must keep their ex
Nana Prah
Mar 12, 2016 Nana Prah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing I love more in a story than a strong heroine and this book gave me one in pirate Carmen Ventura (Captain Sirena). I had never heard of a female pirate until this book. It turns out that becoming a pirate on an all female ship was not a decision she made by choice but by dire circumstance. She is an honest to goodness, shiver me timbres, fight like a man, and cuss like a sailor pirate.
As if things aren't complicated enough for her as a pirate, she is made the captain of the Stre
S.R. Howen
Mar 23, 2014 S.R. Howen rated it it was amazing
"Treasured Chest" by Zrinka Jelic took me by surprise. Pirates are all the rage, Disney has them, prime time TV has them, and they have always held a certain place in every young boy’s heart—and many young girls as well. This book takes it to the next level. Here and there we hear about a fabled woman pirate. This book gives us not only female pirates, but a female Captain as well.

The descriptions and settings draw you in and hold your attention. You feel as if you are standing on the deck of t
Lisa Marie Gabriel
Feb 02, 2016 Lisa Marie Gabriel rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotic-fantasy
Avast ye lubbers (or should that be lovers maybe?) Here’s a tale for ye, spun in the best traditions of the sea to set the pulses racing and the timbers shivering indeed. This is a bold tale of red blooded love, high passion, treason, bloodshed and piracy on the high seas and at its head Serena, Lady of the Pirates and lately Cap’n of the Strega. A crew of women escape from their past into a life of hardship at sea, piracy and strictly no men until… Ah! But ye landlubbers must read it for ...more
R.A. Sears
Jan 13, 2013 R.A. Sears rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I've read my fair share of "romance" novels, filled with steam and smut and relationships that happen WAY too fast. Thankfully, this was definitely NOT one of those books! Filled to the brim with historical facts that made the world so real you could practically smell the salt in the air and feel the wet sea breeze on your face, this was truly a treat to read.

I've never actually read a pirate story that was done this well. Clearly, the author's done her research, and it shows in this ca
Aneesa Price
Jan 24, 2013 Aneesa Price rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A review of Treasured Chest by Zrinka Jelic

Well done Zrinka Jelic - I can definitely recommend this book to lovers of historical romance and adventures.
I won a copy of this ebook in a giveaway and read it whilst on holiday. I was unsure of what to expect. To be frank, the cover does not entice me and once I read the book, I realized that this is a case of not judging a book by its cover at all!

The author writes well and the novel is easy to read. The character development is good, strong and the
Eskimo Princess Jenkins
This book was given to me by the Author in exchange for an honest review.

I'll admit, it took me awhile to read this. Its not what I usually read, although it its a Historical Romance. But this story is very different. And I liked the pirates, I love Pirates.

This was a new type of Historical Romance book for me to read. It took alittle while to get into the story, and it was easy to stop reading at any time. The main characters are good. There is not a lot of humor in the book, but there are mome
Eric Dulin
Feb 23, 2013 Eric Dulin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have yet to read a pirate tale as accurate as this one, from both setting to characterization and dialogue. Everything was so vividly done that you felt like you were there! Now I’m not a big romance guy, nor have I read many romances, but from what experiences I’ve had in my previous reads, this had great chemistry between Carmen and Marko. In many works, the characters are almost “forced” to love each other; they “fall in love” almost instantly that it is almost absurd, but in this book, you ...more
R. E.
Mar 14, 2014 R. E. rated it it was amazing
Zrinka Jelic penned a story that took me off guard. Women pirates? I can understand a pirate having a wench at his side, but this story took it up a notch.

Zrinka Jelic’s fanciful story had horrors and heartaches that motivated her well-drawn characters. It was exciting and emotional. Women on the run from an oppressive life and society banding together to form the crew of the Strega, a ship thought to be myth in this novel world. The Adriatic will never be the same.

I won’t issue any spoilers, b
Cindy Smith
Dec 16, 2012 Cindy Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this is not my usual genre. However I was captivated right away. I mean, a pirate ship of mermaids? I had to know. Add to that a treasure map and you are hooked. I will not give anymore away!

Zrinka has fully developed her characters. You feel their happiness and their pain. It is historical and it is well researched. The roles of the men, law enforcement, women...all accurate. The scenes of ship battles were so real I could almost smell the gunpowder!

This is a GREAT story! Anyone who loves
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
2 Stars

There are plenty of dangers to avoid in the Mediterranean Sea: slavery, other pirates, and execution. Carmen Ventura, newest captain of the pirate ship Strega, successfully attacks an adversary’s ship, leading to the release of its captives, including handsome Captain Marko Lucin.

Treasured Chest has an intriguing premise. Set in the late 1700’s, the use of Italian history, nobility and pirates make a...

Full review in the February 2013 issue of InD'Tale Magazine.
Sharon Cramer
Oct 19, 2013 Sharon Cramer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy adventure, romance, pirate, escapism, suspense!
What a fun, ocean tale of pirates, love, and intrigue! Nicely developed characters and great description. I felt like I was there, even got a little seasick! The lead protagonist is a captain (and female, as is her crew), which is unusual and contributes to the excitement of the unwinding plot and love story. It is sure to entertain and in a swept away fashion. Highly recommend! The treasure is not all that it seems!
J.J.
Jan 01, 2013 J.J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Mary
Jan 27, 2013 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book in exchange for my honest review. This is not typically the type of book that I normally go to read because I just don't connect with the whole pirate thing. This book was well written and very descriptive of how pirate life may be. Very easy to imagine how the author was seeing everything happen. Would definitely recommend to anyone that likes pirate/adventure/romance books.

The last thing Captain Sirena expected to find on a desolate island was...him!

When Carmen Ventura tak
Robert Clark
Feb 20, 2014 Robert Clark rated it really liked it
Treasured Chest, by Zrinka Jelic, could be considered a historical romance. It could just as easily be called a rousing historical adventure. At once straight forward and subtle, it is difficult to review the book without introducing a spoiler. There aren’t a lot of surprises in Treasured Chest, but the ones in has are important. The title, which might at first seem a bit strange, is perfect.

The writing is solid and Jelic’s book follows a logical, if sometimes surprising, progression. The charac
Cathrina Constantine
A swashbuckling, sword slinging pirate novel that makes one feel you're on board the Strega. A xebec, a three-masted lateen-rigged vessel, filled with disadvantaged women and commandeered by the legendary Sirena.

Zrinka's descriptions of the vessel are so precise it's amazing; more reasons to feel your watching a movie in your head.

I couldn't help but snicker when I read such phrases as 'Arrrrgh,' and 'scurvy dogs,' and the best, 'Blistering barnacles did the bilge rat make it?'

The story unfold
Shaun Meehan
Sep 18, 2014 Shaun Meehan rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Treasured Chest is a pretty dynamic novel with a bit of everything mingling amidst a romance driven plot. While this isn't typically the genre of novel I favour, I did enjoy the story as well as the writing, though for me, neither was the high point.

The setting of this novel is very well done, and the author has created what I imagined vividly, as an accurate account of the Adriatic Sea. Not being a sailor, I appreciated the author's avoidance of heavy focus on the intricacies of sailing, makin
Renee Rearden
Jul 02, 2014 Renee Rearden rated it really liked it
Shiver Me Timbers! Gorgeous male pirates, svelte female pirates and action aplenty are a winning combination for Treasured Chest.

Carmen Ventura is forced into the life of a pirate. Dire circumstances compel her to make a heart-wrenching decision, and then live with the resulting circumstances. Her bravery, loyalty and fairness are recognized and rewarded—with an unenviable position and the responsibility it bears.

Captain Marko runs his own ship the Levant, sailing far from home to keep away from
K.T. McColl
Oct 04, 2014 K.T. McColl rated it really liked it
Treasured Chest follows the adventures of Carmen Ventura and her all-female crew of pirates as they seek -- what else? -- a secret treasure. Along the way, Carmen falls for Marco Lucin, a captain recently dispossessed of his ship.

I hadn't read a pirate adventure in decades and was reminded why these novels could be so much fun, particularly with the interesting twist of an all-female pirate crew.

The plot had enough surprises to keep the pages turning and the writing was clean and engaging. As o
Stan Morris
Aug 16, 2014 Stan Morris rated it liked it
I liked some parts of Treasured Chest by Zrinka Jelic. At times the writing was uneven but the ambiance of the Adriatic Sea made up for it. I sure Jelic’s background was the reason for the sealike ambiance and the excellent descriptions of the surrounding lands. The best parts of the story were when Carmen was alone or with her crew. I could easily visualize her point of view. Marko’s point of view was less interesting, and I never took a liking to his character. When they were together, the ...more
  • Five of Hearts
  • The Captain's Lady
  • Fortune's Flames
  • Once Upon a Pirate
  • Twice in a Lifetime
  • Nor Gold (The Pirate Captain: Chronicles of a Legend, #2)
  • A Treasured Lily (A Marsden Romance #2)
  • The Blue Diamond (The Razor's Edge, #1)
  • Ten Ruby Trick (Pirates of Estovan, #1)
  • The Wolf Moon (Wolfmoon, # 3)
  • Honey House
  • Her Forbidden Pirate
  • My Savage Heart (McQuaid Trilogy #1)
Zrinka Jelic lives in Ontario, Canada. A member of the Romance Writers of America and its chapter Fantasy Futuristic &amp;Paranormal, Kiss of Death as well as Savvy Authors, she writes contemporary fiction—which leans toward the paranormal—and adds a pinch of history. Her characters come from all walks of life, and although she prefers red, romance comes in many colors. Given Jelic’s love for her ...more
More about Zrinka Jelic...