Start by marking “Almost Gone: A Novel-In-Stories” as Want to Read:
Almost Gone: A Novel-In-Stories

Almost Gone: A Novel-In-Stories

Brian Sousa's debut collection of interlocking stories depicts the Portuguese American experience from a new perspective; alternately gritty, suspenseful, and illuminating.

Brian Sousa leaves sentiment and saudade behind in Almost Gone, a linked collection spanning four generations of a Portuguese immigrant family. In this hardscrabble world, the youth struggle with the sec
Published February 12th 2013 by Tagus

To ask other readers questions about Almost Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Gone

Jane
Jul 06, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
These linked stories, about three generations of a Portuguese-American family (although "family" is a kind of cozy word, and this book is not that), digs into and also disorients you. If I plotted out the stories on a timeline, they would start with Nuno and Helena in Portugal; then go to the two of them and the next generation, their son Paulo and his wife Claire in coastal Rhode Island; and finally all of them and Paulo and Claire's son Scott, with wife Hailey and daughter Emily, also in Rhode ...more
Steve
Nov 05, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, stories
Full disclosure, he's a friend and I was asked to blurb this, but it's a very good book of linked stories. Here's my blurb:

The deceptively straightforward stories of Almost Gone sneak up to unfold in every direction, across distance and generations, as in raw-edged, pared-down lyricism Brian Sousa reveals a humming web of tragedy and wonder staked across the sprawling networks of modern life. In his resonant overlapping of characters losing and finding themselves he works magic, revealing those
Kj
Mar 20, 2013 Kj rated it it was amazing
I was only 2 pages in when I almost missed my bus stop on the way to work. 'Almost Gone' continued to demand my attention throughout it's entirety and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a thoughtfully woven set of brilliant stories. Each story has a very unique air about it, almost as if you are in the presence of each of his characters' energy. I absolutely look forward to reading more work by Brian Sousa.
S
Feb 16, 2013 S rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
I couldn’t bring myself to read this book till the very end. I didn’t sympathize with any of the characters and I didn’t find the plot very appealing. This isn’t the kind of book that I was expecting. It really wasn’t for me.
However, I think that the concept of writing a narrative through various short stories is a very fine idea. Too bad I couldn’t bring myself to finish the book.
April
May 20, 2013 April marked it as to-read
I received a copy of this book free through Goodreads first Reads.

I work at a Senior/Youth center and donate all print books I win in giveaways to the library.

I hope I get a chance to check this one out in the near future!!!

I can say it must be a really good read because it has been checked out since I added it to the library shelves!!
Alice Bola
Mar 18, 2013 Alice Bola rated it liked it
I jumped at the opportunity to read this novel. This is the first time I am reading anything by a fellow Portuguese American and I looked forward to reading a work of fiction by someone who shares my heritage. I was optimistic especially since this novel promised to encompass the feeling of being an immigrant, of living in two very different worlds.

Because of my optimism, it pains me to say this. Honestly, I’m on the fence about this novel. I really liked Mr. Sousa’s writing style. He is gifted
Sue
May 27, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
Interesting book. If, like me, you prefer your stories to be told in chronological order, you’ll find this “novel in stories” frustrating. We move not only among various characters’ points of view but shift erratically in time between 1941 and 2010 and in place among Brazil, Spain, Portugal and the United States. In the end, it all makes sense, but the reader has to work to keep up. This is not a feel-good book. It gets a little dark and violent. That said, the characters are wonderfully ...more
Kim
Jun 04, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Raw and bittersweet. These short stories tell life like it is. It was fun to piece together the characters and how they are related.
Melissa
Nov 19, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Amazing way of weaving together stories of different people, places and times. Honest writing about the struggles of relationships.
Petty Lisbon
Petty Lisbon rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Noelle Merrill
Noelle Merrill rated it really liked it
May 23, 2013
Catarina
Catarina rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2014
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Shant
Shant rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Andrea Borod
Andrea Borod rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2013
Daisy
Daisy rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2013
Emma Pope-welch
Emma Pope-welch rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Nimboo
Nimboo rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2016
Kj
Kj rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2013
João Figueiredo
João Figueiredo rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2016
Justin Daugherty
Justin Daugherty marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
Brian Sousa
Jan 03, 2013 Brian Sousa marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2013
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2013
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Cynthiacantu
Cynthiacantu marked it as to-read
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
Violet
Violet marked it as to-read
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Kim Coomey
Kim Coomey marked it as to-read
Susi
Susi marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Elizabeth Case
Elizabeth Case marked it as to-read
Heather Wallen
Heather Wallen marked it as to-read
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Jeremy Mcdermott
Jeremy Mcdermott marked it as to-read
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Micah Rasmussen
Micah Rasmussen marked it as to-read
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Robert Piacquad
Robert Piacquad marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Morgan Eckstein
Morgan Eckstein marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Chris Blocker
Chris Blocker marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Sherri
Sherri marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2013
Brian Sousa is the author of the novel-in-stories Almost Gone and his fiction and poetry has appeared in numerous journals and anthologies. He teaches at Boston College, edits the music and culture online magazine Mule Variations, and plays guitar in the band Ocean*Transfer.
More about Brian Sousa...