Start by marking “Shep's Army: Bummers, Blisters, & Boondoggles” as Want to Read:
Shep's Army: Bummers, Blisters, & Boondoggles

Shep's Army: Bummers, Blisters, & Boondoggles

(Book). Disclaimer: No U.S. Military Personnel were harmed during the making of these fictional reminiscences. No warrior is more forgotten than he who has been left behind by the war department. Most men who have never tasted combat beyond the occasional fistfight on poker night quickly learn to lay low and zip the lip when battlefield stories are unfurled by the Purple ...more
Published July 1st 2013 by Opus Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Shep's Army, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shep's Army

C. James
Feb 22, 2014 C. James rated it it was amazing
I listened to Jean Shepherd on the radio. He was on a station in Cincinnati at that time, with his free-floating monologues about whatever struck his fancy. Occasionally he's play a record -- it was generally jazz, by an unidentified band. On one night he spoke of "the people, coming out into the city, of hearing the clatter of wooden shoes on the cobblestones." Well,, that was it for Jean in Ohio. I had no taste for the pop music of the mid 50's or much of anything else that came over the ...more
Elisha Condie
Sep 17, 2015 Elisha Condie rated it it was ok
Well, this was a surprise. And not a great one. I LOVE Jean Shepherd. Love him. Everything I've read of his so far has just killed me and I adore "A Christmas Story" to a somewhat obsessive degree. So naturally the first book in years published of Shepherd's stories was a big deal, and I saved it to read for when I thought I'd like it most (as in now, as an antidote to a sad book I read recently).

But this book wasn't great. Shep's stories about his time in the army were a little too short on
Daniel
Aug 11, 2016 Daniel rated it did not like it
I am a huge Jean Shepherd fan and have read all his books.This book took his radio show stories about the army, and transcribed them into this book. What a mistake. It's unfunny, poorly written, and should be avoided at all costs by Shep fans. The attempt had good intentions. but we all know what road is paved with them.
Lisa Lute
Apr 02, 2014 Lisa Lute rated it it was ok
I LOVE Jean shepherd's books!
Well, normally I love Jean Shepherd's books. This one is not one of my favorites. I guess I'd rather read Shepherd's family stories. This book felt disjointed and I didn't find it amusing at all.
Ken
Ken rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Carol C. Antonak
Carol C. Antonak rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2016
Randall
Randall rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Ellen Lang
Ellen Lang rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Alf  Watlington
Aug 12, 2016 Alf Watlington rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Just rambling hodgepodge of stores none of which are funny.
Tiffany Campbell
Tiffany Campbell rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2013
Paula
Paula rated it did not like it
Mar 11, 2014
Josh Spurling
Josh Spurling rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Edward
Edward rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Ryan Cave
Ryan Cave rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
Amly
Amly rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2015
Michael Rudzki
Michael Rudzki rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2014
John Brickley
John Brickley rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Pat Cooksey
Pat Cooksey rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2013
Diskojoe
Diskojoe rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Jacob
Jacob rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
michael erickson
michael erickson rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Robert Bardall
Robert Bardall rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Jean Shepherd's army stories 1 2 Dec 20, 2012 09:13AM
Was an American raconteur, radio and TV personality, writer and actor who was often referred to by the nickname Shep. With a career that spanned decades, Shepherd is best known to modern audiences for the film A Christmas Story (1983), which he narrated and co-scripted, based on his own semi-autobiographical stories.
More about Jean Shepherd...