Start by marking “The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting: Raising Children with Courage, Compassion, and Connection” as Want to Read:

4.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  505 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
We all know that perfect parenting does not exist; however, we still struggle with the social expectations that teach us that being imperfect is synonymous with being inadequate. These messages are powerful and we end up spending too much precious time and energy managing perception and creating carefully edited versions of families to show to the world.
Based on 12 years
Audio CD, 2 pages
Published May 1st 2013 by Sounds True

Erin
Feb 19, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this and it got me thinking about how I view myself and the world around me. I really liked the part about home being a safe space to feel included, silly, and vulnerable.
Mandie Mc
Jul 29, 2013 Mandie Mc rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents
If you have children, go buy or borrow this book. Like, now.

This two-hour audiobook reads more like a workshop by author/narrator Brené Brown. Broken down into simple "guideposts" and with a very friendly, conversational tone, The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting is refreshingly optimistic and realistic. As Dr. Brown says, it's never too late for wholehearted parenting.

My favorite thing about this book is that it's not just the advice of some parenting guru. It's not a lot of theory from a psychol
Shelley Carr
Jan 07, 2016 Shelley Carr rated it it was amazing
Every parent (I would even suggest this to educators, caregivers, anyone who influences youth) should listen to this audio book! It doesn't matter if you are expecting your first child or have teenagers- it is well worth your time. It opened up great insight on my own behaviors and what research shows my struggles with perfectionism and vulnerability will ultimately do to my own children. She relates the research to her own family and is very honest and transparent about her struggles as a paren ...more
Betsy
Dec 17, 2014 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Not just for parents. Brene (it's so easy to call her by her first name, isn't it?) tells you why your parents did some of the things they did, and why siblings do know where to hit you the hardest. For any age child of any parent. There are gems in her words, as always. It's not too late to change how you relate to your family.
Feb 27, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
I really wasn't sure I was going to like this. It's more a lecture or a talk than a book. And though at times I was annoyed by yet another anecdote about her kids, they really did drive home the points she was making and made them more relatable. I really got s lot out of this. Will be listening to this again.
Katherine
Sep 07, 2015 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I have read/listened to a lot of Brene's work. This touched me in a way that nothing else has. A must read (listen) for all parents. I feel more responsible for my failings as a parent and yet hopeful for the opportunity I have to parent better than I was parented. Somehow I became acutely aware of my role as a parent. I cried hard a couple of times, but the message was hopeful and in the end I feel capable and grateful for all the personal work I have done and the possibility of passing that on ...more
Katrina Sark
Feb 01, 2015 Katrina Sark rated it it was ok
Mostly repeat of what she says in the other books:

"We can’t raise children who are more shame-resilient than we are. We can’t give then what we don’t have. So in many ways, parenting is about making a journey with our children toward wholeheartedness. And it’s about learning and growing alongside them."

Importance of being mindful about the relationships between siblings. Siblings know exactly what hurts each other. They see the struggles. They are witnesses to our best moment and the most diff
Adi
May 24, 2014 Adi rated it really liked it
Definitely a book I recommend to parents. The lessons about shame vs. guilt are so important to be aware of as parents that you not only learn about parenting your own children, but you also might start to understand why your parents parented the way they did. I am certain most of us would have been parented and educated in different ways if only our parents knew all the stuff we know now. Vulnerability is another important part Brene Brown is talking about. Some of the anecdotes seem a bit stag ...more
Shaun
Oct 18, 2014 Shaun rated it really liked it
This was a quick book to read with some sound advice about parenting. A good recommendation for any parent.
Shannon Bearden
Apr 09, 2016 Shannon Bearden rated it really liked it
I started this book feeling desperate to become a better parent. I have 3 children and until a year ago I was a single mom. So at times (a lot of the time) I felt overwhelmed about the work involved. I mean it's not just feeding and clothing a person until they grow up, but your responsible for teaching them to become good productive people! I was not raised in a very loving environment to complicate matters! This book talked about some basic things, but gave you application with it. But also ta ...more
Camille
Aug 24, 2015 Camille rated it it was amazing
Love her. I did this as an audio book - and I would recommend it as the way to go. Brene does the narration, and she gives it almost as a presentation - like her well-regarded TED talk. It's short, but there's a lot to absorb. I'll be listening to it again.
Lisa
Dec 14, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Short but really hit home for me. I plan to listen again & take a few key notes to remind myself.
alwz
May 05, 2014 alwz rated it it was amazing
This 2 hour audio book is fantastic. Well with your time for some thought provoking talk about how to raise children- this is down to earth, realistic and applicable.
Shannan
Aug 10, 2015 Shannan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
This was an audiobook that I purchased from audible (I dont know if you can get it anywhere else). Like all Brene Brown literature, you have to take it in small, dense portions because pretty much EVEYTHING she talks about is relevant and good. Here's an excerpt from the description and I feel it definitely gives you a sense of the book. "We all know that perfect parenting does not exist; however, we still struggle with the social expectations that teach us that being imperfect is synonymous wit ...more
Whitney
Jan 29, 2016 Whitney rated it it was amazing
It doesn't matter if you are a new parent or a veteran mom of 6, whether you have toddlers or adolescents, or grown adults for children, this has great parenting advice for all stages. It's not a "step-by-step" advice guide for dealing with conflicts; it is more of a guide to a mindset and way of living that will enhance your parenting skills. I like how Dr. Brown uses examples and stories from her own personal parenting experiences to help explain the different concepts.
Annica
May 20, 2015 Annica rated it it was amazing
A must read for all parents..... Inadvertently we shame our children and give them lifelong traumas, not because we're mean and horrible parents, but because we adhere to social and cultural conditioning, believing that we do only what is right. Brene explains in simple terms with real life examples how to effectively deal with every day situations with nurture and love - how to discipline behaviour without attacking the person. I'm making my kids listen to it as well.
Cindy
Feb 21, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
Brene Brown explains the difference between shame and guilt.
Shame: You are a bad child.
Guilt: You are a good child, you made a bad choice.

She also said make sure that what you are saying out loud about yourself is mindful. If you drop something on the floor and say "Shit, I'm so stupid.." and your child hears you, then of course they are going to be applying that same self-talk to themselves. Be mindful on how you treat yourself, and how you talk about yourself. They are listening.

Colene Hardy
Mar 12, 2015 Colene Hardy rated it it was amazing
Practically perfect. A must read for parents who want to navigate parenthood with slightly lower blood pressure and to rest easy over our imperfection. Dig into concepts like shame vs guilt, vulnerability, worthiness, perfection and keeping the "Culture of Cool" out of your house. A reminder that if one wants his or her children to love and honor themselves, it's important to lead by example. Loved every second of this.
Amber Koppenhofer
Jun 15, 2015 Amber Koppenhofer rated it it was amazing
I cannot say more about Brene Brown and her insights on shame and vulnerability. She is remarkable for the work she has done and for communicating her findings to the rest of us to help us understand why we react the way we do to the many experiences of our lives. In this instance, she speaks to how we behave as parents, why we react the way we do emotionally to our children, and why our children are reacting the way they do in their experiences. She offers some awesome insights as to how we as ...more
Holly Robinson
Mar 18, 2015 Holly Robinson rated it it was amazing
I listened to this audiobook in one day commuting to and from work and it was INCREDIBLE. I love Brene Brown and it's perfect that it was her reading her work. This is the book for every parent who wants to move past these guilt-ridden parenting books and really believes in being connected, open, honest and raising whole-hearted kids.
Ann-marie Burton
Mar 10, 2016 Ann-marie Burton rated it really liked it
Brene Brown is so easy to listen to and her messages paramount. Demonstrates her wholehearted approach to parenting which focuses on an inclusive connection at home while also encouraging us to to showcase our own vulnerabilities to our kids so they can build their own courage. Would recommend all parents read/listen.
Holly
Oct 07, 2015 Holly rated it really liked it
Cried my eyes out listening to this one in summertime. Yes! I want to be a good mom! No! I don't feel like I'm going to get it right! Brene talks us off the ledge of all our worst insecurities and shows us how to embrace the good and the hard. So encouraging and useful.
Mar 17, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Some good insights on parenting here but also some things that seemed fairly obvious to me. If you're a fan of TedTalks, you'll probably like the format. It was an easy listen, but her laughs and stories seemed a bit forced. I imagine it's tough to "act natural" when you're in a recording booth.
Mike
Jan 27, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
Lots of excellent advice here for both parents and for thinking about how past parenting has affected you. I hope I can keep all of this in mind once I start parenting myself. I know my wife and I are both super-critical of ourselves and it's amazing to think how much that can affect others around us, even if we are not critical of them.
Melissa
Jan 05, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I feel like this particular parenting book/talk holds one of the critical pieces in parenting wisdom that many other good or great parenting books dance around, sometimes touch on, but rarely articulate. This one's going on the life-changing list, for sure.
Lisa
Nov 06, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Smart. Witty. Honest. Encouraging. As always, Brene Brown captures what we know is true and nudges us to be better with her characteristic humor, wit, sensitivity and smarts.
Mark
Aug 17, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Totally different perspective from every other parenting book. Not about parenting strategies but about how our own stuff affects our kids. Loved it.
Alicia Duffin
May 09, 2015 Alicia Duffin rated it it was amazing
This is very similar to The Gifts of Imperfection but great reminders as a parent. I actually listened to her do a seminar on this and loved it.
Bridgid
Mar 27, 2014 Bridgid rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I love her idea that wanting what is best for children and shaming people who are making choices that are different from you are mutually exclusive.
Jodie
Feb 07, 2016 Jodie rated it it was amazing
I have read many parenting books, and this is BY FAR the best one. A must read for any parent wanting to connect to their children.
  • Kids Are Worth It!: Giving Your Child the Gift of Inner Discipline
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government
  • Parenting with Presence: Practices for Raising Conscious, Confident, Caring Kids
  • 5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Minimalist Parenting: Enjoy Modern Family Life More by Doing Less
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • Depressed and Anxious: The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook for Overcoming Depression and Anxiety
  • Positive Discipline A-Z: 1001 Solutions to Everyday Parenting Problems
  • Your Child's Strengths: Discover Them, Develop Them, Use Them
  • Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
  • The Me, Me, Me Epidemic: A Step-by-Step Guide to Raising Capable, Grateful Kids in an Over-Entitled World
  • Power of Play: How Spontaneous, Imaginative Activities Lead to Happier, Healthier Children
  • Raising Resilient Children: Fostering Strength, Hope, and Optimism in Your Child
  • Discipline Without Distress: 135 Tools for Raising Caring, Responsible Children Without Time-Out, Spanking, Punishment, or Bribery
Dr. Brené Brown is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work.She has spent the past thirteen years studying vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame.

Brené is the author of two #1 New York Times Bestsellers: Daring Greatly and The Gifts of Imperfection.

Her latest book, Rising Strong will be released on August 25, 2015. In Rising Strong, Brené writes, “If
More about Brené Brown...