The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting: Raising Children with Courage, Compassion, and Connection

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  18 reviews
We all know that perfect parenting does not exist; however, we still struggle with the social expectations that teach us that being imperfect is synonymous with being inadequate. These messages are powerful and we end up spending too much precious time and energy managing perception and creating carefully edited versions of families to show to the world.
Based on 12 years...more
Audio CD, 2 pages
Published May 1st 2013 by Sounds True

Mandie Mc
Jul 29, 2013 Mandie Mc rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents
If you have children, go buy or borrow this book. Like, now.

This two-hour audiobook reads more like a workshop by author/narrator Brené Brown. Broken down into simple "guideposts" and with a very friendly, conversational tone, The Gifts of Imperfect Parenting is refreshingly optimistic and realistic. As Dr. Brown says, it's never too late for wholehearted parenting.

My favorite thing about this book is that it's not just the advice of some parenting guru. It's not a lot of theory from a psychol...more
Adi
Definitely a book I recommend to parents. The lessons about shame vs. guilt are so important to be aware of as parents that you not only learn about parenting your own children, but you also might start to understand why your parents parented the way they did. I am certain most of us would have been parented and educated in different ways if only our parents knew all the stuff we know now. Vulnerability is another important part Brene Brown is talking about. Some of the anecdotes seem a bit stag...more
Some good insights on parenting here but also some things that seemed fairly obvious to me. If you're a fan of TedTalks, you'll probably like the format. It was an easy listen, but her laughs and stories seemed a bit forced. I imagine it's tough to "act natural" when you're in a recording booth.
Mike
Lots of excellent advice here for both parents and for thinking about how past parenting has affected you. I hope I can keep all of this in mind once I start parenting myself. I know my wife and I are both super-critical of ourselves and it's amazing to think how much that can affect others around us, even if we are not critical of them.
Bridgid
I love her idea that wanting what is best for children and shaming people who are making choices that are different from you are mutually exclusive.
Julienna
Higly recommend to parents, grand parents, and anyone else interested.
Jamie
I listened to this one on audio CD. Brown reads it herself. Time well spent!
Heather
Really great!! I am not a parent, unless you count small dogs...and it was still very helpful. I loved the examples she gave, I love the clarity and conviction that came out of her talk. Simply brilliant and helpful on many levels.

recommend watching (in order) her two ted talks prior.

I listened to this, and Mrs. Brown was the reader. She did a fabulous job.
Erik Batz
I listened to this on a recent trip and loved it.
Anna
Loved this a basically all her ideas.
David
Smart, funny , and practical. It helps me as a parent. Glad I listened to this one.
Sue
i listened to this book on cd...it was actually read by the author, who is an excellent speaker. she had so many excellent points, i had to stop and write some of them down. what i loved most were her own experiences she shared, about her children. very motivating and reassuring...i definitely recommend this book, even if you are not a parent...just as a guide to living healthier, happier life.
Christine
I didn't love this book so much for the "how tos." My style of parenting is not the same as the author's style. Im never going to use the types of words she uses, but I loved the messages, the beauty of being imperfect together, the validation and themes to think about.
Jamie
My name is Jamie and I am a recovering perfectionist. I love this for its simplicity. I love it for the big picture scope of it. Emphatically, FIVE STARS.
Ben
Excellent parenting book, highly recommended. Lots of great ideas about stuff like shame vs guilt; vulnerability; belong; and the fact that it's ok to struggle, fail, and not be perfect.
Rachel
This had so many important thoughts, that while I listened to it I had to stop repeatedly and type out quotes to go back to and meditate on later. Well worth the two hour listen.
alwz
This 2 hour audio book is fantastic. Well with your time for some thought provoking talk about how to raise children- this is down to earth, realistic and applicable.
Cynthia
I'm so grateful for this book, which I listened to on CD. Absolutely a must read (hear) for parents.
Tony Rogers jr
Awesome ! Funny, informative, and real .....i think it could really change lives
Kate Winsor
Good quick read! Many of the points she brought up were very helpful.
Tesi Klipsch
Tesi Klipsch marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Corie
Corie marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Miki
Miki marked it as to-read
Jessica Dodt-escobar
Jessica Dodt-escobar marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government
  • Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
  • Hand Wash Cold: Care Instructions for an Ordinary Life
  • Minimalist Parenting: Enjoy Modern Family Life More by Doing Less
  • Positive Discipline A-Z: 1001 Solutions to Everyday Parenting Problems
  • The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life
  • Parenting From the Inside Out
  • Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!
  • Your Six-Year-Old: Loving and Defiant
  • The Power of Positive Parenting: A Wonderful Way to Raise Children
  • Parenting Without Power Struggles: Raising Joyful, Resilient Kids While Staying Cool, Calm and Connected
  • Screamfree Parenting: The Revolutionary Approach to Raising Your Kids by Keeping Your Cool
  • The Child Whisperer: The Ultimate Handbook for Raising Happy, Successful, Cooperative Children
  • The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
  • Between Parent and Child: The Bestselling Classic That Revolutionized Parent-Child Communication
  • The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy
  • Parenting Beyond Your Capacity: Connect Your Family to a Wider Community
Dr. Brené Brown is a writer, researcher, and educator. She is a member of the research faculty at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work where she has spent the past ten years studying connection - specifically authenticity, belonging, and shame, and the affect these powerful emotions have on the way we live, love, parent, work and build relationships.

Dr. Brown teaches graduate...more
More about Brené Brown...
The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead I Thought It Was Just Me: Women Reclaiming Power and Courage in a Culture of Shame The Power of Vulnerability: Teachings on Authenticity, Connection, & Courage Men, Women & Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough