Never Trust a Rogue (Heiress in London, #2)

Never Trust a Rogue (Heiress in London #2)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The wealthiest heiress of the season, Miss Lindsey Crompton finds detective work far more fascinating than social engagements—at least until she meets Thane Parker, the Earl of Mansfield. Thane is a paradox: a war hero and a cad, a wicked scoundrel and an indulgent guardian of his young ward. When Lindsey sneaks into his house to investigate his role in a series of murders...more
Published August 31st 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Never Trust a Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Trust a Rogue

Colleen
I'm not sure how clear this review will be since all my thoughts are scrambled together. This book was such a disappointment to me. I really enjoyed the first book in this series - Seducing the Heiress - so when this one finally came out I didn't hesitate to buy it - BIG, BIG MISTAKE!!!

The heroine of this one (Lyndsey) is the sister to the heroine of the first book (Portia). Lyndsey's mother is trying to get her married off to a duke - as she tried (unsuccessfully) with her sister in book one. H...more
Katie(babs)
DNF. When the spinster like heroine goes on the search for a serial killer strangling maids, that's when I gave up.
Nat
The herione was simply tstl! In fact she's the definition of tstl! Honestly I haven't read about a stupider herione. Yet.

Lindsay (our herione) is an heiress, her mother wants her to get married to a duke(penniless, gambler duke after her dowry). Lindsay wants to open a detective agency(?!?!?!?!)
She surely is the worst detective on earth. She's convinced that our hero, the earl of Mansfield(who is a reallly sweet guy) is the murderer. BASED ON CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE ONLY. Did I mention she's to...more
Historical Romance Books
Olivia Drake writes a charming love story full lots of gossip and maid servants being murdered. “Never Trust a Rogue” will have you turning the pages with eagerness wandering who the serial killer is. This book will also have you smiling and laughing with its well written humor.

Lindsey Crompton is not your normal society lady. She hates attending social engagements, shopping, and gossip. All she really wants out of life is to own her own private investigation company, and not be tied down to a m
Book Review Diva

Tabetha Waite
All I can say is, WOW! What a fun read. Lindsay was the perfect match to Thane as they worked to bring a serial killer to justice, while trying to fight their attraction to one another. Throw in a bit of spice and wit and it was a page turner for me!
Kyle Moore
So, the love interest wasn't really a rogue, but someone that wanted to solve a mystery. The main character wanted to be a spy, and yet she was quite bad at it. The thing about this story that I liked though, is that it was not as predictable as I had judged it to be. In the end, all I am saying is that the person you thought was the killer wasn't.

Some things that I also liked about the book was how good the characters were. They weren't the normal, and that was something that I really enjoyed.

I...more
Nicole
Meh. Didn't much care for this one. H/H spent too much time apart. Heroine is dumb for jumping to conclusions about the hero.
Erin H
I absolutely loved this book. I loved that Thane and Lindsey were so perfect for each other. After meeting Lindsey in Portia’s story I couldn’t wait to read her book and how her interest in solving mysteries would be played out. I thought the mystery surrounding this book was great! After some maids are found murdered Thane joins the investigation. Lindsey begins her own investigation and immediately believes that Thane is the murderer. I liked that these two had no idea just how involved in the...more
Cynthia (aka Artemis)
I stopped at page 116; before the beginning of chapter 11 -- I really did give it a fighting chance.

I didn't feel a connection between Thane or Lindsey. The main characters going their merry way trying to solve a murder mystery. Just a snoopy girl with too much time and money on her hands. And how does a 18/20 year old girl during that time period sneak out of the house, by herself, and pretend to be a maidservant to an earl? That didn't fly with me. And then get back home unnoticed?

*yawn* bori...more
Donna
I liked this one a lot. Thane and Lindsey were both very likeable characters. Both the romance and the suspense were enjoyable and believable. I only had a couple of negatives-Thane's family dyanamics really didn't ring true to me and the girls' mother is so distasteful that it takes away from my enjoyment of the book. I have read other books in which the mother is ambition to land a duke that didn't bother me as much as this one.
KyBunnies
When I started reading this book it sounded familiar. The more I read the more I knew how the book would end. This book may of been published recently, but I have read this book in the past. I enjoyed the book, but this publishing is not the first time it has been out. I gave it one star not because it was a bad book but because it has been published before just the names have changed.
Mandy Niesen
Absolutely loved it! I had read the first and was dying for the second. Lindsey is so head strong and genes for herself that it is so refreshing to see someone match her. And Thane. Good Gawd. If that man were real. The divorce rate would be higher. His character is so tough but when he is with Lindsey or his ward, he would soften and become a big ole Teddy bear.
Westerville
"Book 'N' of the A to Z Romance Challenge. It was cute. A light, fun read set in Regency England." -Jessica, Adult Services Librarian

Reserve a library copy!
Gemma
Nov 01, 2011 Gemma marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Tasha
One of my fellow goodreads friends had this on their list so I picked it up. Never read Drake before, like her. This was witty and fun and the characters were great. I love a women who is a little before her time and a man who admires her for it.
TJ
Actually more like two and a half. For a complete review check out http://www.affairedecoeur.com - September 2010 issue.
Another good book to the trilogy. I love that the main male characters are complex and have more sides than are first seen.
Milena's Book Corner
Absolutely loved the back and forth banter/bickering then the make out between Thane and Lindsey. Loved it!
Jess
Shelly
No connect with the characters, had the murderer and motive figured out immediately.
Erin
I didn't hate the book, but I didn't love it either. It ended very abruptly.
Jean
Lots of unnecessary repetition and cardboard characters.
Hema
Hema marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • How to Tame a Lady (Daughtry Family, #2)
  • A Most Scandalous Engagement (Scandalous Lady, #2)
  • Dukes to the Left of Me, Princes to the Right (Impossible Bachelors, #2)
  • The Seduction of His Wife (Hallaway Sisters, #1)
  • A Gentleman Always Remembers (Willowmere, #2)
  • Rushed to the Altar (Blackwater Brides #1)
  • The Earl of Her Dreams
  • Tempting the Marquess (Weston, #2)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • The Bridegroom (Captive Hearts, #4)
  • The Unclaimed Duchess (Billingham Bastards, #2)
  • Wicked Nights With a Lover (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #3)
  • The Duchess Diaries (The Bridal Pleasures, #3)
  • To Tame a Dangerous Lord (Courtship Wars, #5)
  • Seducing the Duchess
  • The Scandals of an Innocent (The Brides of Fortune, #2)
  • The Book of Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #1)
  • Mad about the Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #7)
Shortly after graduating from Michigan State University with a degree in journalism, Olivia Drake sold her first novel two weeks after sending it to a publisher. She now lives in Texas in a cozy cottage with a feisty cat, a loving husband, and two wonderful daughters who still come back whenever they want a home-cooked meal.

Many of you already know Olivia as Barbara Dawson Smith, author of 24 his...more
More about Olivia Drake...
If the Slipper Fits (Cinderella Sisterhood, #1) Seducing the Heiress (Heiress in London, #1) Scandal of the Year (Heiress in London, #3) Stroke of Midnight (Cinderella Sisterhood, #2) Abducted by a Prince (Cinderella Sisterhood, #3)