The Magus of Strovolos: The Extraordinary World of a Spiritual Healer

The Magus of Strovolos: The Extraordinary World of a Spiritual Healer

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Introduces the rich and intricate world of Daskalso, The Magus of Strovolos. This book shows Daskalos draw on seemingly unlimited mixture of esoteric teachings, psychology, reincarnation, demonology, cosmology and mysticism, from both eastern and western traditions.
Published February 1st 1989 by Penguin Books (first published October 31st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Magus of Strovolos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magus of Strovolos

Rogier
This is a remarkable little book about a Cypriot teacher, who operates against the backdrop of the Orthodox Church and represented a fascinating mix of gnostic and theosophic beliefs and concepts, but fed always from his own experience of things, not from book knowledge. He clearly was quite influential in his way, and the teachings have a very common sense feel to them. The implied metaphysics is quite sophisticated.
It is a fascianting read, for anyone who is open to explore these realms, and f...more
Dan Gambetta
This book started me on my own personal spiritual quest.
Kat Kiddles
My favorite parts of this book were and still remain, the scenes where Daskalos speaks. He reminds me of a teacher I once knew. He inspires me to strive to experience a similar reality to the one he describes to his incredulous audiences. After I finished reading this book for the first time, I went online to see how much it would cost to visit him in Nicosia and spend some time there, learning. I found out that he had passed away some years before this book crossed my path. That made me sad. It...more
Anton
Stylianos Atteshlis called Daskalos, a name that describes what he really was: a teacher.
A true Researcher of Truth approach in seeking the truth is methodical, safe and self-evident. At least it once was when Daskalos was teaching. Some great people are living around us, deliberately working away from any publicity. They know that their mission is of such nature, that they must remain unknown. Our human adoration and “recognition” means nothing to them. The serving of the divine plan is their o...more
Trisha Keiman
a book translated from greek, so not a particularly easy read but lots of interesting wisdom to be gained. An extrordinary spiritual healer who believes in christian faith and secrets of his philosophy, challenging wstern materialism and science as well as pointing towards things we cannot see. Originally printed in 1985
Kris
If you are interested in mysticism, different levels of the conscious, leaving and entering upon will to perform healings, exorcisms, karma, or different views of life and death, and have a more than capable author to tie it all together in a nice little book, than what are you waiting for?
Superstella
I really enjoyed this book and will read it again at some point in the future. It does an excellent job of uniting all the religions of the world and explaining spirituality in a way that isn't dependent upon any deity or particular belief.
Beáta
Aug 07, 2008 Beáta added it
This a book that I wouldn't have bought. But somebody lent it to me so I read it. It was interesting and some thoughts came to my mind when I was reading it.
Dodi
Similiar to the Carlos Castenada books. Some interesting concepts. I liked that the basic philosophy is love.
Brainorgan
Mar 23, 2012 Brainorgan marked it as not-read
The Magus of Strovolos: The Extraordinary World of a Spiritual Healer (Arkana) by Kyriacos C. Markides (1989)
Ross Bishop
An account, fairly well written, of one of the most remarkable healers of our time.
Kara
Feb 18, 2009 Kara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in folk magick or astral work
Recommended to Kara by: internet friend
Very extraordinary tale of a Folk healer/magician. Full of magick.
Alicia Dattner
A new favorite non-fiction-but-it-reads-like-fiction.
Mihaela
Amazin reading on spirit posession and Christian healing
Miroslav Varga
Miroslav Varga marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
salelbar
salelbar marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Yvonne Dreptate
Yvonne Dreptate marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Aislinn Love
Aislinn Love marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality Gifts of the Desert: The Forgotten Path of Christian Spirituality Inner River: A Pilgrimage to the Heart of Christian Spirituality Homage to the Sun: The Wisdom of the Magus of Strovolos Riding with the Lion: In Search of Mystical Christianity

“After Daskalos returned to his armchair and was getting ready to continue our discussion I asked him whether the affliction of that man was due to karmic debts.

“ ‘All illnesses are due to Karma,’ Daskalos replied. ‘It is either the result of your own debts or the debts of others you love.’

“ ‘I can understand paying for one’s own Karma but what does it mean paying the Karma of someone you love?’ I asked.

“ ‘What do you think Christ meant,’ Daskalos said, ‘when he urged us to bear one another’s burdens?’

“ ‘Karma,’ Daskalos explained, ‘has to be paid off in one way or another. This is the universal law of balance. So when we love someone, we may assist him in paying part of his debt. But this,’ he said, ‘is possible only after that person has received his ‘lesson’ and therefore it would not be necessary to pay his debt in full. When most of the Karma has been paid off someone else can assume the remaining burden and relieve the subject from the pain. When we are willing to do that,’ Daskalos continued, ‘the Logos will assume nine-tenths of the remaining debt and we would actually assume only one-tenth. Thus the final debt that will have to be paid would be much less and the necessary pain would be considerably reduced. These are not arbitrary percentages,’ Daskalos insisted, ‘but part of the nature of things.”
6 likes