Start by marking “Peace River (Rockland Ranch Series) (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
Peace River (Rockland Ranch Series) (Volume 1)

Peace River (Rockland Ranch Series) (Rockland Ranch #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The police didn't understand the danger, but she did. Her father had always been abusive, but now, with a ten million dollar Thoroughbred farm on the line, and a powerful bookie leaning on him, her father had become out of control. But how do you get away and take a world famous stallion with you? Carrie was getting desperate when a handsome and honorable but thoroughly cy ...more
Published November 19th 2012 by Spirit Dance Books

To ask other readers questions about Peace River (Rockland Ranch Series), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace River (Rockland Ranch Series)

Heidi
I really liked this Jaclyn Hawkes book. Main reason? Good, wholesome, Cowboys. :) I loved the two rodeo cowboys who were the "Knights in Shining Armor" in the story. They kind of reminded me of Layne Frost and Tuff Hedeman...but in a clean cut, clean mouthed, high standard boys kind of way! :) I love rodeo's and reading about rodeo's BUT it's hard to find books that have that and don't make the cowboys "scuzzy"(I don't even know if that's a word;)lol...but you know what I mean...the foul mouthe ...more
A fun, easy read. Sometimes you just have to read a book when you know the bad guys will lose, the good guys will win, and the guy will get the girl.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This isn't the first book I have read by this author, Jaclyn Hawkes but it is definitely my favorite. I'm thinking it was the good western feel combined with two sexy, yet honorable men and that build up of romance. Great combination there.

Carrie is a take control kind of girl. She knows what she has to do and finds a way to do it. I like Carrie's support group, the farm hands who help and also Carrie's friend at the restaurant. Even though Carrie is a tough girl with courage, she needs help. I
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
3/3.5 stars

This was a fun LDS read. I really got into it when Carrie takes off with Slade and Rossen. I've always had a thing for cowboys (hard-working men, who are charming, and are built with lean muscles) and these two are gentlemen besides. The characters were great and I loved Rossen's family.

There is quite a lot going on between Carrie's safety, the rodeos, and the traveling. I also loved the scenery and especially Slade's house, which is basically my dream house. :) The romance was reall
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Carrie is in a dangerous situation, her father is trying to use her inheritance to pay off gambling debts. He is wrapped up with some dangerous people and will stop at nothing to get what he wants.

Her friend sees an ideal situation, two rodeo cowboys have stopped in the diner where she works, Carrie could go with them and cook for them while they are on the road. Carries father wouldn't know where she is and it will keep Carrie and her valuable stallion safe.

Rossen and Slade are good men, willin
Jo-Anne

It is important to know that this is a LDS contemporary western romance so if you don't like mention of religion in your novels you shouldn't read this book.

It starts with Carrie in a dangerous situation because her father, who she rarely sees, is trying to get her inheritance and valuable horse to pay off his gambling debts. He is involved with some very dangerous people and will anything to get what he wants.

Carrie's friend comes up with a plan to get her away from the area (and her f
Charissa
Good story, but not as good as some of her others. This tells Slade and Isabel’s stories. I really liked the characters, but found the plot didn’t intrigue me as much as some of her other ones. I was happy for the characters, but not spellbound…content, but not awestruck. I don’t know why. Maybe it was a little too predictable. I’m not sure. I still enjoyed it. The setting, characters, and plot still pulled me along for an enjoyable ride. I swear I could smell the sage as Isabel smelled it for t ...more
Rhonda
5 stars

I enjoyed reading Above Rubies the other day and went right out and bought Peace River yesterday and read it. I really like the Rockland Ranch Series and hope more books are coming soon in it. It has awesome characters and relationships, some rodeo cowboy's,
some bad guys, their is romance and action. Some LDS beliefs mentioned. Left me feeling good when it was through.

Carrie is now half owner of a Racing farm in California and owns a famous stallion that is worth millions after her grand
Laurie
This was a heart-warming, exceptionally well-told story that I found to be simply enchanting. The main characters embraced a strong moralistic belief system and treated each other respectfully. It was poignant and refreshing to this sometimes jaded reader. I believed in the sincerity of their beliefs even though my core beliefs are not the same. There is a lot of excitement and action that kept me reading long past my usual bedtime.

There are a couple of places that got a bit too preachy for me.
Marjo
Peace River is the first book in the Rockland Ranch series by Jaclyn M. Hawkes. The story is about the struggle of a young girl who has an abusive, alcoholic father with a gambling addiction. Carrie is an heiress to her grandfather’s multi- million dollar thoroughbred farm and is afraid her father will try to take everything from her. The following passage from the book will give the reader an insight into the religious aspect and possibly the inspiration for the title. "Your grandfather wanted ...more
Repeat Reads
Originally posted on Repeat Reads

First I want to make readers aware that this is a LDS contemporary romance. So if religious aspects or mentions are unappealing to you then don't read this book. I felt that the religious aspect was well written and it added another dimension to the characters. Being a Christian myself I felt it made the characters more realistic to me and think that it doesn't detract from the overall story, but adds to the theme of the book.

This book had a lot of things I enjoy
Shauna
Jaclyn M. Hawkes is kind of a new author for me and I am LOVING her books!

Carrie needs to get away from her current situation and she need to get away NOW!

Only problem...she also needs to take her very famous horse with her...But how?

Her prayers are answered when two rodeo cowboys want to hire a cook that will go on the road with them.

Happy for the first time in a very long time, Carrie is falling in love with her new life AND one of the very handsome cowboys she now lives with in a very tiny tr
Norma
Loved it

Loved it

What an awesome, clean romance. I loved the religious side immensely as well. To read about 2 people so in love with each other & so trusting in our Heavenly Father's plan for us was great. I look forward to reading more by this wonderful author.
Amanda
I actually liked the story but the editing should have been much better. The cover graphics are not well done but it was from the library and well used for being only a couple of years old, so I assume other readers like it as well. If not for the poor editing, I would give it a higher rating.
Marilyn
Good

the rodeo pro cowboys have to ride for point to be able to compete in the national finals .the,way the two helped to save women from an evil person.
Mom
I loved this book. This is the first book in the Rockland series and I can't wait to read the others. I found myself feeling like I was living the story - on the rodeo circuit, having fun, and wishing I lived in Wyoming with all the beautiful scenery she describes. The chapter that had the final confrontation with "Judd" left me on the edge of my seat with suspense - it was great. This book reminded me of the movie "8 Seconds". There is some mention of LDS beliefs which made it even better for m ...more
Becky
Another LDS fiction book, had suspense, cowboys, uplifting moments, and just enough clean romance. Can't wait to read more from this author.
Candace
Good book

Loved the book. Loved the author, again. Good wholesome book. I'm recommending the author to all eight of my children.
Tom Park
Well, it was a fairly predictable plot with a girl needing help, a rodeo rider showing up at the right time, etc. etc. It did make a decent read, but not too deep or really thought provoking.
Diana
Great book! I love Jaclyn M Hawkes! She is an amazing author who creates such beautiful characters and wonderful storylines.
Linda
Easy and light reading
Cathy
I was so excited when I was offered to read this book before it came out! I have loved all of the Jaclyn Hawkes books I've read. I really enjoyed this book. The story was engaging, and I loved the characters. Carrie seemed so real! There was plenty of action, adventure and danger to keep me guessing just how everything was going to turn out. I didn't want to put it down until I finished! Jaclyn Hawkes is one of my favorite LDS romance authors. You really can't go wrong with any of her books that ...more
Debbie
I really liked this book. A young lady's life is in danger from her father. He wants to force her to marry his nephew so that her father can take over the ownership of the horse ranch she is part owner in. She runs away with a very valuable race horse that belongs to her. She meets up with two rodeo cowboys and travels with them. Her father eventually finds her. It is a really good story. My daughter also liked it. It is the first in a series.
Amber
very sweet book.
Emily
It's always refreshing to have a wholesome story! It's a little bit predictable, but sometimes that is nice. Characters were engaging. The elements of LDS culture that are incorporated into the story were enjoyable. I'd read this author again.
Nellie
I loved this book. Very clean, suspenseful, and romantic. Carrie finds out her father is planning to take her ranch, horses, and lock her away. She runs away with two cowboys she doesn't know, who are doing the rodeo circuit. Well written, and fun. LDS theme.I"d let my teen daughter read this.
Lorena
First, I had no clue this was an LSD romance and it felt rather out of left field after reading the blurb. The story starts off with nothing about it then half way in starts hammering you with it. Not my choice, not enough about the horses and the drama from why she ran in the first place.
Brenda
A crazy adventure story laced with danger and deception. The characters of Slade and Isabel were so easy to love. They were both a little wounded looking for someone to trust in and luckily found each other. The rodeo circuit part of the story was so interesting and the romance was darling!
Nicole
Good clean read! LDS romantic suspense novel! It was a fun easy read!!!
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
thoroughly enjoyed this book, a little romance, a little suspense and some strong values. Made for a great story and of course it all comes to a head near the end (as all good books do!). almost done with the follow up book, Above Rubies.
  • The Haunting of Autumn Lake
  • Before the Dawn
  • All I Want
  • Do Over (Alpine, #4)
  • Jayhawk
Jaclyn M. Hawkes grew up in Utah with 6 sisters, 4 brothers and a large number of pets. (It was never boring!)

She got a bachelor’s degree, had a career, and traveled extensively before settling down to her life’s work of being the mother of four magnificent and sometimes challenging children. She loves shellfish, the out of doors, the youth, and hearing her children laugh.

She and her fine husband,
More about Jaclyn M. Hawkes...

Rockland Ranch (4 books)
  • Above Rubies (Rockland Ranch, #2)
  • Once Enchanted  A love story (Rockland Ranch Series) (Volume 3)
  • For Joey: A love story (The Rockland Ranch Series)
The Most Important Catch The Outer Edge of Heaven: A Love Story Above Rubies (Rockland Ranch, #2) Once Enchanted  A love story (Rockland Ranch Series) (Volume 3) Journey of Honor