Start by marking “Friedhof Der Kuscheltiere” as Want to Read:
Friedhof Der Kuscheltiere

Friedhof Der Kuscheltiere

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  247,327 Ratings  ·  4,142 Reviews
Als neuer Universitätsarzt zieht der junge Louis Creeds mit seiner Frau und seinen Kindern nach Ludlow, Maine. Ein wunderbares Haus in herrlicher Landschaft erwartet die Familie. Einziger Haken: Das Haus liegt direkt an einer vielbefahrenen Straße, und schon bald wird die Katze der Creeds überfahren. Die Beerdigung des geliebten Tierchens auf einem alten, geheimnisvollen I ...more
Published (first published 1983)

Khanh (the Grinch)
It’s probably wrong to believe there can be any limit to the horror which the human mind can experience. On the contrary, it seems that some exponential effect begins to obtain as deeper and deeper darkness falls—as little as one may like to admit it, human experience tends, in a good many ways, to support the idea that when the nightmare grows black enough, horror spawns horror, one coincidental evil begets other, often more deliberate evils, until finally blackness seems to cover everything.
Mario
Once upon a time when I was a child, I remember talking with my family about horror movies. Somebody asked what was the scariest movie you've watched, and my mom without thinking said 'Pet Sematary'. I remember laughing and saying 'How on earth could a movie named Pet Sematary be scary?' Fast forward to now, I changed my mind.

This book is scariest and creepiest book I've ever read, and I'm sure it'll stay number 1 for a long time. It made me think about stuff I don't want, or refuse, to think a
Carol
"Sometimes dead is better".................

KING calls Pet Sematary his scariest book, and I can understand why. It is super creepy and super "shocking" where he takes the reader, and his interesting prologue explaining how he came to write this unsettling tale brings a bit of truth to the story.

While truly a horror of a read, it is excellent in respect to its genre, but just awful too if that makes any sense. PS is not particularly gory, but definitely sad, sick, dark, and disgusting with more t

Nikki
Nov 08, 2008 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Will M.
THE ELECTRICITY JUST FLUCTUATED WHILE I WAS WRITING THIS REVIEW. THE LIGHTS WENT BATSHIT CRAZY. WTF IS HAPPENING? I'M NOT KIDDING AROUND, IT'S 6:15PM AND I'M ALONE IN MY ROOM. WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME, KING?

Louis Creeds moves into a beautiful old house in Maine with his wife, daughter, son, and cat. It was all normal and perfect at first, but the nearby woods became apparent and so was the Pet Sematary.

When people regard King as the master of horror, I used to raise an eyebrow. I've read a few o
Matt
Nov 10, 2015 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every Halloween, I like to do a little season’s readings. For most of the year, I generally avoid scary books and movies. Life is scary enough without looking for extra frights. But there’s something about the Fall. Once the wind gets sharp, the days get short, and the leaves start to drop, I inevitably find myself within a small window of time in which horror is appealing. This window closes abruptly at midnight on November 1. Before that time, though, I’m relatively open to the idea of being t ...more
Vincent Kaprat
Nov 05, 2013 Vincent Kaprat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be King's darkest book. If you're goth, read this and you'll be 5% goth'er.
Heena  Rathore P.
Jan 08, 2015 Heena Rathore P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Note: I read this book in RMFAO's November Buddy-Read with some of my awesome friends Magdalena, Titas, Andrew, Kim, Stefani Saloma, Marigold, Konstantina Pap.

description

Plot | Story- Pet Sematary is undoubtedly one of Stephen King’s finest works. I tend to be speechless when it comes to writing a review for his books so forgive me if I write less than necessary, because, nothing that can be said will ever be really enough to praise this book. The story takes you very slowly through the life happenings of
Edward Lorn
Pet Sematary Review (Kinda) I know this review is long, but I have a personal story to tell. Read it if you want to, but the simple fact of the matter is that this book is awesome. If you haven't read it, stop fucking about.

When I was tenyears old, my mother and her best friend Andrita took a trip to the local drive-in to catch a showing of Pet Sematary. My father was out with his own buddies, so guess who got to tag along? Yup, me. My mother told me to go to sleep in the back seat, and then pro
Dustin
Nov 23, 2008 Dustin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap, re-reading this book is like watching a car crash about to take place in super slow motion: You know what's coming, you know how it can be avoided, but all the same, you find yourself walking the well-tended path into the deep woods of Northern Maine...

In my reading of this, as a new father myself, I find the entire concept of the Pet Sematary itself really sort of secondary to the main plot of parents, doing everything in their power, to protect their children from all the dangers in
Laz
Jan 29, 2015 Laz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was certainly the freakiest, creepiest book I've ever read. It was an intense, brilliant thriller full of scary stuff brought straight out of nightmares.

It was not a long book and that certainly made me love it more because the story was not dragged on but it was straight to the point. It was not as much as gory as I expected it to be but it still managed to freak me out all the same.

The storyline is that of the Creed family moving to a new house. Louis Creed, his wife Rachel and his
PUMPKINHEAD
I read this when I was a teenager, and recently felt compelled to reread it. I loved it back then, and I damn I love it now. It was one of the novels that made me a Stephen King fan.

There's so much Stephen King out there, maybe even too much I dare say (In all honesty, I find his more recent stuff a little hit and miss), but for me personally 'Pet Sematary' is King's ultimate masterpiece. It's the first thing I think of when someone mentions the man's name.

Whenever we think of 'Masterpieces', I
Luffy
Jun 14, 2015 Luffy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

While a third into this Stephen King book, it dawned on me why King had such a strong fan base around the world in the 80s, and was the hottest name in popular fiction. It came to me that reading such a well-written horror book was legitimately one of the most primal, adult things I could do. That's because this type of book can have its own brand of hangover. Luckily, I've not yet dreamed of Zelda, the most terrifying monster in this book.

King had a handle on the human mind. He could then -
Brad
Aug 14, 2013 Brad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, unfinished
***WARNING: This review contains a potential spoiler in terms of plot and character. Read at your peril.***

I wish I could say that I tried harder to get through Pet Semetary before giving it up, that I carried it with me, that I read it in those stolen moments of banality, which I do with most books, but the fact is I didn't. And that says much about why I've decided to put it down unfinished.

It's not that the story is a bad idea. Stephen King's story of the Creed family -- new to Maine and a l
Franco  Santos
Jul 08, 2015 Franco Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
La muerte es un misterio. El entierro, un secreto.
Este es el libro que más miedo me dio de King. En Cementerio de animales convergen el horror, la angustia y una desesperación oscura y acuciante. Es un poco pesado en algunas partes, pero les puedo asegurar que les va a helar los huesos.

description

Se los recomiendo muchísimo. Es una maravilla del autor. Es denso, no obstante, muy bueno.
Vane J.

I've always been slightly afraid of death. I mean, why not? It's the end of life, and you have to admit all endings are kind of scary. Think... the end of your beloved book series, of your favourite TV show, the end of high school (just before you're about to start college), saying goodbye to someone... not beautiful, is it?

Since this is a book that's mainly about death, I was already coming with the idea that I was gonna be scared, and boy, wasn't I creeped out?

At first, the whole idea behind
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder*

Pet Semetary is horror-scary with its story, but the prime focus that comes across to me is overwhelming grief meeting the breaking point/barrier the brain has before it goes insane.

Stephen King has said this was one of the books that frightened him the most to write. It likely meant so much to him because of being a father himself. It's actually a creepy book (so much horror isn't actually scary), but while reading it I found it wasn't always the actual moments that were what stood out as creep
Jadranka
Stephen King je istakao da „Groblje kućnih ljubimaca“ smatra svojom najstrašnijom knjigom, i da je nakon završetka pisanja dati rukopis stavio u fioku, misleći da je konačno otišao suviše daleko. I sam je toliko bio užasnut onim što je napisao...e pa Stevo kako i ne bi bio užasnut!!
Knjiga koju još uvek držim pred sobom dok pišem ovaj review je verovatno jedna od najgroznijih, najgnusnijih, najuznemiravajućih, najmučnijih knjiga koje sam u životu pročitala. Dotakla je u meni sva ona mračna mesta
Janie Johnson
Aug 31, 2012 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
When I started this book I had great expectations of a thrilling, dark, scary ride. Something like evil pets taking over the neighborhood of a quiet, calm, perfect little town. Wreaking havok at every turn, making me shudder at the turn of every page. But it never reached the "scary" point. It was filled more with sadness than scariness.

Despite this it was still a very profound, riveting tale. Stressing to me the lengths people could possibly go to replace something that was lost in their lives
Mara
Dec 05, 2014 Mara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mara by: Rebecca
I read Stephen King's introduction to this book before reading the book itself (it was, after all, in the front). Some would consider King's intro a bit of a spoiler, but (in addition to enjoying anecdotes on Uncle Stevie's process) there's actually something brilliant about the way in which King takes the wind out of the sails of the what happens. The how becomes all the richer for it.

As per usual, I love the backdrop of Maine. There's even a shoutout to Camp Agawam (which, if you're Anna Shape
Josh
Mar 26, 2008 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with pets and small children who live on dangerous roads. I mean, who else?
It's Pet Sematary, what more do you need to say? This is King in his finest form. It's always nice to read a nice horror that takes it's time and lets you marinate as opposed to ones that feel the need to kill everything and make everything as bloody and violent as they can. That type of horror is only good in the short run. The horror that scares generations usually takes its time, builds up the suspense, and sneaks in the back door. Naturally being a person who grew up on horror and watched th ...more
Adam Light
Pet Sematary

First read: 1987

First reread

Easily in my top 5 Stephen King books.

This book scared the hell out of me the first time I read it. This time around, it succeeded again, but in a completely different way.

As a thirteen year old, I remember how this story gripped my mind utterly, refused to let go until, at last, I read that blood freezing final sentence five or six horror filled hours later. Maybe the first time I read a book this size in one sitting. The story unfolded relentlessly, the
MJ
Mar 26, 2009 MJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Other than the Bush Administration's reasons for attacking Iraq this is
the scariest fiction I've ever read.
Kevin Cambronero
Nov 26, 2015 Kevin Cambronero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terror, stephen-king
Sin duda se equivoca quien piense que existe un límite para el horror que puede experimentar la mente humana.

Muy buen libro. Tenía altas expectativas, y fueron cumplidas. Es muy entretenido, se va muy rápido. El argumento es original y atractivo. La historia está desarrollada de una manera digna del rey del terror. Durante el día, leerlo no da miedo, pero a la hora de hacerlo antes de dormir, para mí fue una experiencia escalofriante.

La heroína da una sensación de bienestar al adicto mientras
Magdalena
November Buddy read RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off)

Louis Creed moves with his family from Chicago to a small house near Ludlow, Maine. He immediately gets friendly with his neighbor Jud and his wife Norma. It's Jud that one day will show Louis and his family the Pet Sematary that lies close to the Creed house...

I dreaded reading this book because I've seen the movie and I knew that it would hit hard even if they had done a lot of changes from the book to the movie adaption. There were change
Tom O’Connell
This book, alongside a discouraging handful of other King novels, begins with great promise, drawing the reader in with the kind of three-dimensional characters King does best. Unfortunately, it hits a slump halfway, from which it cannot recover, and meanders its way to a predictable conclusion.

The plot deals with grief, obsession and reincarnation. The Creed family (Doctor Louis, Rachel, and two children Ellie and Gage) move to backwater Ludlow, a small town in – you guessed it – Maine. Ludlow’
Phrynne
Nov 22, 2014 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think my taste for horror stories must be increasing because I really enjoyed this book and I have been avoiding it for years because it is said to be really scary. It certainly has it's moments but they are actually more gruesome than horrific. I loved the whole thing. King's writing is good as always and his characters are easy to like and become involved with. The story builds slowly and I like the way the author spends time on pleasant everyday life in between the horror. The contrast is g ...more
José
Oct 20, 2015 José rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Reseña en español de Cementerio de animales en el blog: Click aquí

Pet Sematary remains as one of my favourite Stephen King's books and one of the finest horror stories I've ever read. The fact that I didn't expected much when I first read it nine years ago was important because it had some of the best plot twists I've read in a novel written by King.

That's why I recommend reading the book before watching the movie, knowing what is going to happen beforehand can ruin the shock this story causes o
helen the bookowl
3.5/5 stars.
Stephen King always delivers when it comes to scary stories, scary behaviour and scary descriptions, and Pet Sematary is no exception. It actually took me quite some years to read this; not because it was bad or too scary, I just happened to read a little piece at a time and then put it down. However, the end of the book I devoured because I needed to know what was happening. Stephen King is excellent at creating a climax towards the end that glues your eyes to the pages.
There is o
Bonnie

After Louis Creed gets hired on at The University of Maine, he moves his family from Chicago, Illinois to the small town of Ludlow, Maine. Their house is built on the edge of a distressing wilderness that their local neighbor, Jud, advises they never traverse which only manages to stir their curiosity. The months steadily fly by living in Ludl
Least Scary? 39 208 Jan 12, 2016 07:36AM
Stephen King Fans: Halloween Buddy Read - Pet Sematary 48 80 Nov 01, 2015 03:53PM
RMFAO (Reading My...: Pet Sematary by Stephen King 88 61 Oct 14, 2015 10:32PM
  • The Hellbound Heart
  • Midnight
  • Blue World
  • Comes the Blind Fury
  • The Ghosts Of Sleath (David Ash, #2)
  • Spiral (Ring, #2)
  • The Revelation
  • In the Dark
More about Stephen King...

“Sometimes dead is better” 205 likes
“And the most terrifying question of all may be just how much horror the human mind can stand and still maintain a wakeful, staring, unrelenting sanity.” 125 likes