Start by marking “Amazon Adventure” as Want to Read:
Amazon Adventure

Amazon Adventure (Hal & Roger Hunt Adventures #1)

Long Island teenagers Hal and Roger Hunt explore uncharted Amazon River with their father, expert naturalist John Hunt for his exotic animal collection. Someone sends an anonymous telegram, so John returns. Alone, the boys face hostile natives, dangerous rapids and wild animals, and a hunchback with bloodshot eyes.
Published July 15th 1993 by Red Fox (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Amazon Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazon Adventure

Jonathan
Nov 15, 2012 Jonathan rated it liked it

For anyone whose noticed I've been in a state of semi-boredom where to pass time I've gone back and reviewed some favourite books read a while back. So I thought I'd do the same here. This is going to be my review of the series more than anything else!

Willard Price's books were childhood favourites of mine. I borrowed, re-borrowed and re-re-borrowed them from the library. I believe I may have read these as many times as I read and re-read The Chronicles of Narnia and the My Family and Other Anim
Harold Ogle
Apr 16, 2013 Harold Ogle rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, children, horror
This is a classic children's adventure novel from 1949. John Hunt is a zookeeper for a zoo on Long Island, and he spends much of his time traveling the world to rescue and acquire animal specimens for the zoo. As the story begins, he has decided that his two sons, Hal (nineteen) and Roger (thirteen) are finally old enough to join him on an expedition. This expedition will take them deep into Western Brazil, in the unexplored sections of one of the Amazon's tributaries, where they will hire nativ ...more
James Roy
Jun 07, 2009 James Roy rated it really liked it
I'm going to rate all of the Willard Price books as four stars. Not because I think they're all that special (hell, they're basically the works of an eco-terrorism apologist), but because, when I was twelve, they were THE BEST BOOKS I'D EVER READ. I lapped them up. Loved 'em.
Jax
Jul 29, 2014 Jax rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, I read this book in order to complete a task in a reading challenge. I only mention this so that you'll understand, it's not something I would ordinarily have picked up.

Having said that - it wasn't all that bad. But there were still too many things that irritated, or annoyed me, that I can only really say that it was an O.K read - even taking into account that it was written decades ago, and is now probably very outdated.
Though I suppose it could also be argued that it was written well enoug
Sketching Girl
Jun 19, 2016 Sketching Girl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I read this book years ago, when I was a child. And I absolutely loved it! I definitely want to track down a copy of this book and read it again. Memories of the adventures in this book, in particular a spitting cobra, and the friendship between these brothers (Hal and Roger), made me want to google to see if I could find the author and title of this book again. I could only remember that it took place in the Amazon jungle, that one of the brothers was called Hal, and the Spitting Cobra incident ...more
Hal
Apr 11, 2014 Hal rated it it was ok
This book is a very informative adventure, a mixture of nature-documentary and boyish fun. Unfortunately, when I say boyish, I mean there are no women in this story, and you will learn of a new adverb: "manfully". The racism toward Indians and the callous dismissal / gloss-over of serious tragedies toward humans and animals were pretty offensive, and I couldn't really get past that. That said, the research and information packed into a story for kids is pretty impressive, and if the other aspect ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

Two boys, Roger and Hal, travel with their father down the Amazon in search of creatures for zoos. They fight cannibalistic Indians, piranhas, crocodiles, and even an angry anteater. This is an adventure book filled with excitement and drama and scares. There are any number of not-so-politically-correct moments and, as a parent, Roger got on my last nerve, but I loved reading this book.
Melanie
When I read the Adventure series when I was in middle school, I decided I wanted to be a naturalist, just like Hal and Roger Hunt, lol. In the intervening years, I've changed my career path, but I a lot of my eclectic knowledge about animals (or curare) still comes from Willard Price's books:)

I found this series again, boxed up in the attic, and decided to do a reread:) I'm glad I did. Although I can now tell it's pretty dated, I still completely enjoyed Hal and Roger's adventures:) 3.5*
Zayneea
An adventure story about some hunters collecting animals to sell to zoos. A lot of animals dying and references to "indians" which can be annoying and shows how old the stories are, but there is still quite a bit of information about animals which is interesting to read. I have got other books in the series which I also intend to read.
Tig
Mar 10, 2011 Tig rated it it was ok
Remember reading some of this series as a child and loving them, so I thought I would take a memory trip. Reading it now I was a bit shocked by the outdated ideas, I nearly feel as if all the problems facing the Amazon rainforests were caused by this book alone.
However, if suspending belief and overlooking the outdated ideas (and unnecessary carnage) it does make for an exciting read.
Ian
Oct 23, 2015 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I read all of the books in this series when I was a youngster in the 1970s, but the only ones I can really recall are this one and one another - Lion Adventure. Great adventure stories for about the 12-14 age group, but very dated now.
Matt Farrelly
Nov 20, 2013 Matt Farrelly rated it liked it
Saw this at the library the other day and it evoked plenty of childhood memories, as this was my favourite series when I was a kid.

Whilst not quite as exciting as back then it still provided a good read and would highly recommend to all youngsters!!
Dave West
Mar 13, 2012 Dave West rated it really liked it
Shelves: natural-history
The Hal and Rodger Hunt adventure books were by far my favourite novels as a child. They were exhilarating and played well into my love of wildlife and sense fo adventure. Probably one of the key reasons I have ended up with a career in ecology!
Edward
May 04, 2009 Edward rated it it was amazing
One of the best in the Adventure series. The action in the Amazon jungle is consistently gripping, but also has the merit of being relatively plausible. Highly recommended.
Tammie Groeneman
Jul 05, 2016 Tammie Groeneman rated it really liked it
This book is great! The characters are one dimensional and obvious but the stories about animals are incredible! Remind me never to move to the Amazon...
Kate Wood
Oct 22, 2013 Kate Wood rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-books
Loved these books when I was about 11 - couldn't wait to earn enough pocket money to buy the next one. For that reason I am rating them all the same with 4 *
Janelle Dazzlepants
Jan 04, 2009 Janelle Dazzlepants rated it it was amazing
This book captivated me as a kid when my Dad picked it up second hand from a vintage bookstore. I was mesmerised by these exotic animals and couldn't put the book down. I wish I still had it. =/
Murray
Apr 16, 2009 Murray rated it it was amazing
I devoured these books by Price in my early teen years. I expect they would not pass muster now but they hit the spot then.
Amanda Patterson
Aug 20, 2011 Amanda Patterson rated it really liked it
I loved all of these books. They were supposed to be for boys but I liked them. Hal and Roger Hunt follow their zoological father around the world and into dangerous situations.
Ronald Ward
Apr 09, 2014 Ronald Ward rated it it was amazing
I read all the books in the series when I was a teen.

I learned a lot about animals and geography and ecology. They made learning fun and interesting. If only teachers could do the same.
Alexander
May 03, 2010 Alexander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure-series
This was on of the first books I remember reading on my own. And greatly played into my love for animals
Jacob Li
Oct 23, 2010 Jacob Li rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure-series
Great book - 2nd best in the series for me. It is so old - the oldest of the Adventure books - written in 1949 but it is absolutely fantastic.
Jeffrey Martin
Jeffrey Martin rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Shankhadip
Shankhadip rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2014
Charlotte Ryton
Charlotte Ryton rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
Sandra T Hardy
Sandra T Hardy rated it did not like it
Aug 14, 2015
spandana
spandana rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Hen Dunbar
Hen Dunbar rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2012
Bhumi Senghani
Bhumi Senghani rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
  • Minnow on the Say
  • Under the Mountain
  • The Fairy Tales Of Madame d'Aulnoy
  • Mi Amigo El Pintor
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Grinny
  • A Kid for Two Farthings
  • Arizona (Lucky Luke #3)
Willard DeMille Price was born in Peterborough, Ontario, and moved to the US when he was four. He got his MA and Litt.D from Columbia. He held a special interest for natural history, ethnology and exploration and made numerous expeditions for the American Museum of Natural History and the National Geographic Society. Price also went on to edit various magazines on travel and world affairs and spen ...more
More about Willard Price...

Hal & Roger Hunt Adventures (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • South Sea Adventure