Start by marking “Amazon Adventure” as Want to Read:
Amazon Adventure

Amazon Adventure (Hal & Roger Hunt Adventures #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  527 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Long Island teenagers Hal and Roger Hunt explore uncharted Amazon River with their father, expert naturalist John Hunt for his exotic animal collection. Someone sends an anonymous telegram, so John returns. Alone, the boys face hostile natives, dangerous rapids and wild animals, and a hunchback with bloodshot eyes.
Published July 15th 1993 by Red Fox (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Amazon Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazon Adventure

Watership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteAnimal Farm by George OrwellInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Best Animal Themed Books
319th out of 420 books — 410 voters
Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonKon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
Tales of Adventure
231st out of 267 books — 309 voters

More lists with this book...

Jonathan

For anyone whose noticed I've been in a state of semi-boredom where to pass time I've gone back and reviewed some favourite books read a while back. So I thought I'd do the same here. This is going to be my review of the series more than anything else!

Willard Price's books were childhood favourites of mine. I borrowed, re-borrowed and re-re-borrowed them from the library. I believe I may have read these as many times as I read and re-read The Chronicles of Narnia and the My Family and Other Anim
Harold Ogle
This is a classic children's adventure novel from 1949. John Hunt is a zookeeper for a zoo on Long Island, and he spends much of his time traveling the world to rescue and acquire animal specimens for the zoo. As the story begins, he has decided that his two sons, Hal (nineteen) and Roger (thirteen) are finally old enough to join him on an expedition. This expedition will take them deep into Western Brazil, in the unexplored sections of one of the Amazon's tributaries, where they will hire nativ ...more
Jax
So, I read this book in order to complete a task in a reading challenge. I only mention this so that you'll understand, it's not something I would ordinarily have picked up.

Having said that - it wasn't all that bad. But there were still too many things that irritated, or annoyed me, that I can only really say that it was an O.K read - even taking into account that it was written decades ago, and is now probably very outdated.
Though I suppose it could also be argued that it was written well enoug
Hal
This book is a very informative adventure, a mixture of nature-documentary and boyish fun. Unfortunately, when I say boyish, I mean there are no women in this story, and you will learn of a new adverb: "manfully". The racism toward Indians and the callous dismissal / gloss-over of serious tragedies toward humans and animals were pretty offensive, and I couldn't really get past that. That said, the research and information packed into a story for kids is pretty impressive, and if the other aspect ...more
Ronald Ward
I read all the books in the series when I was a teen.

I learned a lot about animals and geography and ecology. They made learning fun and interesting. If only teachers could do the same.
Melanie
When I read the Adventure series when I was in middle school, I decided I wanted to be a naturalist, just like Hal and Roger Hunt, lol. In the intervening years, I've changed my career path, but I a lot of my eclectic knowledge about animals (or curare) still comes from Willard Price's books:)

I found this series again, boxed up in the attic, and decided to do a reread:) I'm glad I did. Although I can now tell it's pretty dated, I still completely enjoyed Hal and Roger's adventures:) 3.5*
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

Two boys, Roger and Hal, travel with their father down the Amazon in search of creatures for zoos. They fight cannibalistic Indians, piranhas, crocodiles, and even an angry anteater. This is an adventure book filled with excitement and drama and scares. There are any number of not-so-politically-correct moments and, as a parent, Roger got on my last nerve, but I loved reading this book.
Tig
Remember reading some of this series as a child and loving them, so I thought I would take a memory trip. Reading it now I was a bit shocked by the outdated ideas, I nearly feel as if all the problems facing the Amazon rainforests were caused by this book alone.
However, if suspending belief and overlooking the outdated ideas (and unnecessary carnage) it does make for an exciting read.
Meghan
Jan 13, 2014 Meghan added it
My 5th grade teacher read these to us. Amazon Adventure was my favorite.
James Roy
I'm going to rate all of the Willard Price books as four stars. Not because I think they're all that special (hell, they're basically the works of an eco-terrorism apologist), but because, when I was twelve, they were THE BEST BOOKS I'D EVER READ. I lapped them up. Loved 'em.
Matt Farrelly
Saw this at the library the other day and it evoked plenty of childhood memories, as this was my favourite series when I was a kid.

Whilst not quite as exciting as back then it still provided a good read and would highly recommend to all youngsters!!
Dave West
The Hal and Rodger Hunt adventure books were by far my favourite novels as a child. They were exhilarating and played well into my love of wildlife and sense fo adventure. Probably one of the key reasons I have ended up with a career in ecology!
Janelle Dazzlepants
This book captivated me as a kid when my Dad picked it up second hand from a vintage bookstore. I was mesmerised by these exotic animals and couldn't put the book down. I wish I still had it. =/
Edward
One of the best in the Adventure series. The action in the Amazon jungle is consistently gripping, but also has the merit of being relatively plausible. Highly recommended.
Amanda Patterson
I loved all of these books. They were supposed to be for boys but I liked them. Hal and Roger Hunt follow their zoological father around the world and into dangerous situations.
Kate Wood
Loved these books when I was about 11 - couldn't wait to earn enough pocket money to buy the next one. For that reason I am rating them all the same with 4 *
Jacob Li
Great book - 2nd best in the series for me. It is so old - the oldest of the Adventure books - written in 1949 but it is absolutely fantastic.
Murray
I devoured these books by Price in my early teen years. I expect they would not pass muster now but they hit the spot then.
G.N.
Bit different to what I remember. Bit more carefree with the lives of animals, but still good.
Dan Donnelly
I loved for these boos when I was about 11 and learned A LOT about animals and geography from them
Alexander
This was on of the first books I remember reading on my own. And greatly played into my love for animals
Sarah added it
Nov 22, 2014
Winashleywebmail.co.za
Winashleywebmail.co.za marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
K
K marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Sunil Patel
Sunil Patel marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • Something's Fishy, Hazel Green
  • Under the Mountain
  • Marcelino Pan Y Vino
  • 45 + 47 Stella Street And Everything That Happened (Stella Street, #1)
  • Grinny
  • Vuk
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Tashi (Tashi, #1)
  • Fray Perico y su borrico
  • La regina dei caraibi
  • Autumn Term (The Marlows, #1)
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
Willard DeMille Price was born in Peterborough, Ontario, and moved to the US when he was four. He got his MA and Litt.D from Columbia. He held a special interest for natural history, ethnology and exploration and made numerous expeditions for the American Museum of Natural History and the National Geographic Society. Price also went on to edit various magazines on travel and world affairs and spen ...more
More about Willard Price...
African Adventure Underwater Adventure South Sea Adventure Elephant Adventure Lion Adventure