Start by marking “Tell Them I Didn't Cry: A Young Journalist's Story of Joy, Loss, and Survival in Iraq” as Want to Read:

In her gripping account of the Iraq war, Jackie Spinner goes beyond the headlines to reveal the challenges of reporting news in a place where danger and fear accompany journalists everywhere. This is a vivid and personal story of her time in Iraq -- where for thirteen months she covered the war from its center in Baghdad, Fallujah, Kurdistan, and Abu Ghraib -- and of being ...more
Published August 7th 2007 by Scribner (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Tell Them I Didn't Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tell Them I Didn't Cry

Jordan
May 29, 2007 Jordan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely nobody
This was one of the worst war correspondence books I have ever read. Its dispassionate style and frankly boring structure made it hard to get through. It is hard to make something like the Iraq War seem trivial in light of 'the love of two sisters', but the Spinner twins managed to do just that. That is not a compliment.
Stephanie
Mar 11, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have gotten so wrapped up in the economy that you have forgotten about the Iraq War you should read this as we are still there.
David Gallianetti
As much as this is a behind the scenes of life as a war correspondent, it's a very personal story by an author who falls in love with her surroundings and the new people in her life. We get to know the people who run the Post bureau in Iraq as the author gives us a series of short feature stories. The book reminds you how much we in America take what we have for granted and how easy it is to tune out what's happening globally and unfortunately on the political talking heads for our perspective.
Katy
Feb 07, 2008 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sister gave me this book for Christmas because she had read it and loved it. I, too, read and loved it. It's about a young journalist who's covering the Iraq war for a newspaper (can't remember which one). It's a true story which makes it call the more compelling.

The book is not political at all. It's simply her experiences and thoughts about what SHE went through while over there. She talks about feeling hungry, missing family during holidays, becoming family with her translator and other Ir
Francesca Favila
I give this book a 3.5. I loved the rawness with which she portrayed her own insecurities and fears throughout her time in Iraq. I was captivated throughout, but I felt like the ending was unresolved and I really just wanted more. I want more dealt and more time spent describing the staff and the field missions that she went on. I felt there was so much more material that she could of drawn from. However, I think my largest critique would have been the sense of time. She flitted back and forth b ...more
Jill Koren
Jul 20, 2010 Jill Koren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My cousin Chris recommended this book to me. I really liked it because it gave me a perspective on Iraq that I wouldn't have otherwise. I feel like Spinner (well, both Spinners) were earnest and tough (though I didn't enjoy Jenny's as much as I did Jackie's; they took me out of the narrative a little too much, and how could they not be melodramatic?). The writing had its flaws (a lot of repetition of how the staff felt like family) and the voice seemed young, but I wasn't too put off by the flaw ...more
Margaret
Feb 09, 2008 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2008
This book was hardly what you might expect when you learn that it's a journalist's account of her time reporting in Iraq. Jackie is hardworking, down to earth young woman raised in the Midwest and educated at Berkeley, someone who attends church regularly but is also routinely criticized by conservative bloggers for being too liberal in her reporting. First and foremost, though, she's someone dedicated to her vocation and who finds her place in the world in a war zone. I loved that her twin sist ...more
Mary Snedden
Jackie Skinner was in Iraq recently and was escorted by my daughter in Baghdad so I was curious to read her book. The book was written in 2004 and really I was impressed that it seems more dangerous there now then it was in that year. Jackie's relationships with the translators and fellow Iraq reporters is an intimate human relations portrait. I couldn't help but note that both she and Anderson Cooper, in his book, Dispatches from the Edge" get "hooked" on the war environment and returning to th ...more
Stacey
May 13, 2008 Stacey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the thing about journalism and writing about it --- most of the time it's ego in the way, or standing in the shadows of it.

The parts where her sister writes of her worries is awfully sappy each and every time.

I would've liked less of Spinner and more of her Iraqi coworkers...they at least are truly interesting.
Angie
Aug 16, 2010 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book to compare/contrast with Eat Pray Love, recounting the 2004/2005 escalating violence in Iraq as seen from the eyes of a young, female Washington Post reporter.
Francine Uenuma
This book is chick lit meets war stories. It's life in a battle zone from a female perspective, and she's pretty honest about how hard it was. I enjoyed reading it, although I was partially biased because some of what kept me reading was getting the skinny on people from work in the book.
Andrea
Nov 30, 2008 Andrea rated it really liked it
The benefit of reading this book is the culture in a country that we hear so much about. Ms. Spinner wrote wonderfully about the side of this country I wondered about and now understand why Americans are so widely misunderstood and resented.
Amanda
Sep 19, 2007 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war
did make me wonder what i'm doing sitting here just existing, when one could be there living the experience i'm reading about.

but then i remembered that i've grown out of that particular journalistic deathwish period of my life.
Sheena
Jan 21, 2009 Sheena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heart-wrenching account of a woman's struggles as she tries to survive in a male dominated job while in a male-dominated country. Truly humanizing story of those in Iraq, from all sides and perspectives.
Karen
Jun 24, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A first hand insight into covering the war, from a young woman's perspective. In my reading of this, Jackie Spinner did not let any political biases into her reporting, which is refreshing.
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 11, 2013 Sue Kozlowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-fiction. I really liked this. Reporter for Washington Post goes to Iraq. Gets to know the Iraqi people really well. Has a twin sister Jenny at home from Illinois.
Andrew
Sep 14, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
written by my international reporting professor (and her twin sister) who covered the war in iraq in 2004 for the washington post and other media.
Trace
Jan 24, 2011 Trace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book did make me cry. A wonderful portrait of journalism in Iraq, and how you create a life in the most extraordinary situations.
Kyra
Oct 15, 2009 Kyra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in my book club. Very interesting and incredible book about a woman reporter in Iraq.
Cindy
Jul 14, 2013 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Interesting insider's view of Iraq, often bogged down in details.
Toesnorth's mom
journalist for Wash. Post, her tour in Iraq, interesting, but why?
Molly
Nov 11, 2008 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-memoirs
Incredible memoir of a journalist's time in Iraq.
Ruth
Jun 26, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-read
One of the best personal accounts of the Iraq war.
Abdullah
Oct 08, 2012 Abdullah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

The worst ever boring to death
Caroline
Feb 05, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, I can't put it down
Melissa
Aug 28, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the honesty with which Jackie Spinner talks about her time in Iraq and found I had a hard time putting this book down.
Allen Petty
Sep 30, 2010 Allen Petty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-seller
Bob Daugherty
sallie
sallie marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Ms. Bounds
Ms. Bounds marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
  • Where We Have Hope: A Memoir of Zimbabwe
  • Breaking News: A Stunning and Memorable Account of Reporting from Some of the Most Dangerous Places in the World
  • The Face of War
  • Boeing Versus Airbus: The Inside Story of the Greatest International Competition in Business
  • The Black Box: All-New Cockpit Voice Recorder Accounts Of In-flight Accidents
  • Finding Iris Chang: Friendship, Amibition, and the Loss of an Extraordinary Mind
  • Daring Young Men: The Heroism and Triumph of The Berlin Airlift-June 1948-May 1949
  • Fly by Wire: The Geese, the Glide, the Miracle on the Hudson
  • The Commission: The Uncensored History of the 9/11 Investigation
  • The Woman Who Could Not Forget: Iris Chang Before and Beyond The Rape of Nanking: A Memoir
  • The Boy Who Fell Out of the Sky