Start by marking “Blood and Honour: The Battle for Saxony (A Historical Novel Set in the Dark Ages)” as Want to Read:

A Historical Novel Set in the Dark Ages

Europe, in the year of the Lord 772

Like a bloody storm, Charlemagne’s armies ravage early medieval Europe, leaving devastation and misery in their wake. They have subdued the kingdom of the Langobards, defeated the duchy of Bavaria; they threaten the Moors in the west and, in the south, the pope in Rome.

Yet Charlemagne has even more a
Published December 6th 2012 (first published December 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Honour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Honour

Lee Holz
Dec 22, 2012 Lee Holz rated it it was amazing
Blood and Honour is an excellent and highly entertaining work of historical fiction. The story is consistent with the little know facts of Charlemagne’s campaigns against the Saxons but richly imagined, full of interesting historical detail, action, romance, political intrigue and even inspiration. In addition to the interest of well developed characters (the two principals, Charlemagne and Widukind, and several others being real historical figures), this is a story of contrasting cultures: The ...more
Jan 02, 2014 Scot rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This work of historical fiction selects an interesting hero: Widukind, the Saxon leader who presented the biggest and most consistent challenge in Charlemagne’s forging of his empire in the second half of the eighth century. Not too much is known about the actual man, but he became, over time, a great hero of legend, and variant stories about him can portray him from the extreme of the Catholic Church (he gets a feast day, January 6) which makes him a saint brought to conversion by a miraculous ...more
Eileen Iciek
I did not so much finish this book, as become finished with it after chapter 4. The author has the core of a great story here, but his writing skills need work and a good editor. I downloaded the book on my kindle and so I am not sure of the source of the punctuation errors (multiple commas and semi-colons, the odd extra space or two, the missing or extra quotation marks), but there were many. The discussion taking place in chapter 4 among a number of Saxon nobles did not seem logical or well de ...more
Much of the time I was lost trying to follow what was happening in this book. I admit to ignorance of much of German geography but this book was presented as about Charlemagne whom I thought was French. My bad if I am wrong but still the scenes weren't all that clear to follow. Basically, the book was about beating the crap out of all the Germanic heathens and converting them to Rome no matter the cost to humanity. It was very brutal. In the end, a comprise is met and you wonder what was it all ...more
May 07, 2013 Patrick rated it it was ok
The storyline had such potential but the story never quite formed into a cohesive narrative. The two main characters (Charlemagne & Widukind) were hardly developed until halfway through the book. The early part of the book jumped around from Charlemagne, The Abbot, Widukind etc. Once the author focused on Charlemagne and Widukind it became an enjoyable read but was a bit too late. Lacked on detail in major battles. It had a good premise to attempt to build a story around the life of Charlema ...more
Jayzoo 33
Feb 09, 2014 Jayzoo 33 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story! It was quite interesting and held my attention throughout. I was amazed as the story unfolded, and I engaged completely with the descriptions and the characters. I was mesmerized by the interaction of these great European cultures. I read the book in February 2014, and the issues discussed in other reviews were not apparent. Nathaniel Burns has a real gift to help bring history alive in a fictional way. I look forward to reading more of his work.
Matt Kelland
I tried, but couldn't finish this. Constant punctuation and grammar errors annoyed me (please hire an editor!) but I still wanted to read the story. However, it never delivered in any area: not enough depth to be a historical adventure, not enough character to be a drama, and not enough action to be a war story. I'd love to know more about Charlemagne, but this feels like an early draft of a potentially good book.
Suzie Warren
Mar 08, 2013 Suzie Warren rated it really liked it
I found "Honour and Glory" to be an excellent and highly entertaining work of historical fiction. The story is consistent with the little know facts of Charlemagne’s campaigns against the Saxons but richly imagined, full of interesting historical detail, action, romance, political intrigue and even inspiration.
Apr 19, 2013 Jax rated it liked it
I enjoy historical novels of this period, the so called Dark Ages. One has heard of Charlemagne but I had never heard of Duke Widukind before, a Saxon duke undefeated by Charlemagne who wished to preserve the Saxon race and culture above all else. Lots of factual descriptions but perhaps a little lacking in adding 'life' to the characters. Still a good read.
Jeanne Johnston
Jan 15, 2014 Jeanne Johnston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting historical perspective on the Middle Ages. Like the Scots and the Native Americans, I was left with the sad conclusion that the wrong side won in the end, though in this case it was more a matter of blending than subjugation. Fascinating tale of a leader with the foresight to serve his people and their future instead of his own ambitions.
Dec 07, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly I know nothing about Charlemagne, so I have no idea if the book stayed true to who history has portrayed him to be. This particular story spanned a portion of his life covering his struggle to conquer the Saxons. In the end he was forced to incorporate the Saxons - treating them as the blood relatives they were to the Franks - rather than conquering and destroying them.
Dec 09, 2013 Joni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well researched and well written historical novel. There is not a lot except legend known about this time in history, but Nathaniel Burns has done a good job of breathing life into characters we don't know much about.
Apr 16, 2013 Cynthia rated it liked it
This book, while obviously well-researched, is quite dry and reads more like a textbook than a novel. I felt no emotional connection to the characters. Still, it was an interesting read from a historical standpoint.
Paul Burnette
Charles vs. Widukind. The Saxon duke Widukind fights and dies seeking higher ends than victory on the battlefield. His adversary, the Frankish king Charles seeks dominion over the western empire to stretch from the North Sea to the Mediterranean and eastward. This time we admire the loser who wins.
Dec 20, 2013 Dutch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I really dig historical fiction in the way it suggests what might have been said, felt or experienced during a particular era. I particularly liked the conflict and debate between Frankish Christian and non-Christian Saxon. I'm inspired now to read more about Charlemagne!
Apr 07, 2013 Acquafortis rated it really liked it
This book made me surf through Wikipedia for hours on end.
Historic facts interwoven with the philosophy of religions.
The clash of two tribes that gave birth to Germany and the heart of Europe.
I could not get into this book. I had a hard time following who was doing what and did not care for the writing style. Nothing blatantly wrong with the book... Just not for me.
The story of Charlemagne's attempts to conquer the Saxons. Fierce battles and interesting history. An interesting read.
Lawrence Cutting
Lawrence Cutting rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
Paul H. List
Paul H. List rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2014
EruDani rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2014
R. Silva
R. Silva rated it did not like it
Mar 01, 2016
William rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Peter Hollyer
Peter Hollyer rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2013
Tim Schiraldi
Tim Schiraldi rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Harold rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Mary C.
Mary C. rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2014
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
kay johnson
kay johnson rated it did not like it
May 25, 2015
Vicky rated it really liked it
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr
  • The Circle of Ceridwen (Circle of Ceridwen Saga #1)
  • Silver's Odyssey
  • Duval and the Infernal Machine
  • The King's Spy (Thomas Hill, #1)
  • Constantinopolis
  • The Seal (Rosicrucian Quartet, #2)
  • The Embalmer's Daughter
  • Death Waltz in Vienna
  • Skye
  • Take Me to the Castle
  • Treason
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • The Memoirs of a Prague Executioner
  • Scherzo: Murder and Mystery in 18th Century Venice
  • The Execution (The Wintergrave Chronicles #1)
  • The Templar's Secret (Caedmon Aisquith, #4)
  • The Year of the Horsetails

“wisdom is only given to those who find it on their own.” 0 likes
“this new faith has a secret energy that will keep on working even should you best King Charles on the field of battle.” 0 likes