Start by marking “The Return” as Want to Read:
The Return

The Return

3.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Former astronaut Scott Blackstone's dream of opening outer space to visits from everyday people is under attack. His pilot program has been marred by a fatal accident, he's out of a job, and he's being sued for a billions dollars. And it's beginning to seem that the "accident" wasn't at all accidental.

Then the endless conflict between India and Pakistan heats up...and Paki
Published July 15th 2001 by Forge Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Return, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Return

Kristin Lundgren
Scott Blackstone comes from a family of aerospace pioneers. HIs family owned one of the largest suppliers to NASA. HIs brother Nick, at (Republic Wright) continues the tradition, while Scott has worked on starting a company called Sharespace, where they buy seats from a company, ASU, that has access to the empty berths on the space shuttle, and sells them to civilians. Only a few have gone up, and the latest one to buy a seat is Michael James - a beloved and a legendary basketball star with a ch ...more
Matthew Connolly
There is a decent story at the core of this book, but what ought to be exciting — mysterious accidents, high-profile lawsuits, the crippling of the world's entire orbital capability, a race against time to save brave astronauts — is rendered terminally dull by the bland and awkward writing.

Much of the story is recounted, not experienced: the narrators explain to the reader what is happening, or what happened, with passionless voice. Neither death threats nor serious accident to a loved one nor g
John Nicholas
Entertaining thriller about a guy who is trying to create a space tourism market and get embroiled in all kinds of problems when a sports star is killed in an accident. The politics and technology of is very detailed and the plot fairly intricate without becoming over-complicated. The writing is very direct and straight-forward. Good some summer reading kind of book.
Dave Milbrandt
Aug 04, 2015 Dave Milbrandt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is better than the original (3.5 stars perhaps), but since it tells a story in the middle of the narratives and does not continue with the main tale from the previous book, it is a bit disappointing.
Anthony Faber
Near future space opera again, but characters are pretty cardboard, although there is the amusement of their predictions from 2000 about the future of the space program.
Patrick S.
Sep 20, 2012 Patrick S. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing happens! There is no Return to anything! Other than a few launches of satellites towards the end. You have a group of people who were young and suppose to do all these great things to get man into space and at the end of the book...you still have that "oh ya, we were going to do that weren't we?" then the book ends! Usually when I own a book - I keep it. I NEEDED to sell this to a used bookstore in the hopes that it would not leave the boring stain on my soul. Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!
Andreas
After the fantastic Encounter with Tiber, I was hoping that Aldrin and Barnes would pull off another great epic story. In this respect, I was sadly disappointed. The Return is still a good SciFi yarn. It’s a near space, near future story which fictionalizes what I assume to be Aldrin’s hopes for humanity’s return to serious space travel. Worth picking up if you’re into this sort of thing, but nothing very special.

Hillary
It has been a while since I read this. Buzz has spent most of his years since Apollo promoting the return to space exploration. Not just venturing to the space station for short stints, but travel back to the moon and beyond. If I remember he discusses in his book where we need to be going and the means we need to get there. I enjoyed it.
Cara
Dec 28, 2010 Cara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i loved it because I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey when I was 13 and figured I spend my 25th wedding anniversary on the moon. That hasn't happened and I'm disappointed. This book features a group of teens called the Mars Four who vow to get to Mars and what happens to them as adults. Predictable ending but a fun ride.
Dick Gullickson
3.5 Interesting book for the space enthusiast. Buzz Aldrin writes a thriller about a former astronaut who saves the international space station crew after an India-Pakistan nuclear war wipes out low earth orbit satellites and threatens the crew with high radiation levels.
Janice
Feb 13, 2013 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story itself was great. The reader of this book was very monotoned. I could not tell which character he was most of the time.
James
James marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Remy Masemo
Remy Masemo marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Coffee
Coffee marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Spicibear
Spicibear marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Jack Brady
Jack Brady marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Anita
Anita added it
Jul 07, 2016
Eric Clark
Eric Clark marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Bill
Bill rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Dinko
Dinko marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Phil
Phil added it
Jun 16, 2016
Francheska
Francheska marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Caeric
Caeric marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Nicki Button
Nicki Button marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
  • The Sky So Big and Black (Century Next Door, #4)
  • The Stars Asunder: A New Novel of the Mageworlds
  • Netlink (Warstrider, #5)
  • Playing God
  • The Forgotten Planet
  • Shadowrun 15: Burning Bright
  • Mars Crossing
  • Lord Prestimion (Lord Prestimion, #2)
  • Never Trust an Elf (Shadowrun, #6)
  • Slipt
  • Manhattan Transfer
  • Star Begotten: A Biological Fantasia (Early Classics of Science Fiction)
  • Metaplanetary
  • Beneath an Opal Moon
  • Cosm
  • The Hacker and the Ants
  • The Soddit: Or, Let's Cash in Again
  • Mammoth
Buzz Aldrin (born Edwin Eugene Aldrin, Jr., January 20, 1930) is an engineer and former American astronaut, and the second person to walk on the Moon. He was the lunar module pilot on Apollo 11, the first manned lunar landing in history. He set foot on the Moon at 03:15:16 (UTC) on July 21, 1969, following mission commander Neil Armstrong. He is also a retired colonel in the United States Air Forc ...more
More about Buzz Aldrin...