Start by marking “A Marquess for Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Marquess for Christmas

A Marquess for Christmas (A Marquess for Christmas #1)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
A widow in need of rescue. A dissolute Marquess determined not to marry.

When Violet Laurens is accosted on the road by thieves, a handsome stranger comes to her rescue. He is badly injured and doesn’t remember who he is, so she takes him home and cares for him. But the closer they become, the more Violet fears the inevitable moment when he must leave her.

The Marquess of Ki
Published December 16th 2012 by Vivienne Westlake (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Marquess for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Marquess for Christmas

Romance Rating ~ 4 Stars
Heat Level ~ 4 Stars
Ending ~ 3.5 Stars
Overall Rating ~ 4 Stars

I was wanting a Christmas romance and I have to admit the name of the title grabbed me. This book really did not have much to do about Christmas at all but I'm still glad that I read it.

The story started out REALLY good and grabbed me and then It kept me interested all the way through.

The heroine Violet was my favorite character of the book
Andrea Guy
Vivienne Westlake is a good writer of regency romance. In A Marquess For Christmas she created a cast of characters that you will enjoy getting to know. There is only one flaw, it is an erotic regency.

Now I don't have any problems with erotica. I like the genre now and then, but something about the sex scenes in this book didn't ring true for me. Violet likes a little light bondage, nothing major, but there is no rhyme or reason for this.

That's not to say the sex scenes aren't smoking hot or rea
Stephanie
Dec 20, 2012 Stephanie rated it really liked it
ORIGINAL POST on Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
A MARQUESS BY CHRISTMAS A Spicy Holiday Story!

A Marquess for Christmas
Vivienne Westlake
Genre: Regency, erotic romance, historical romance
Word Count: approx. 25K-30K
Cover Artist: Vivienne Westlake
I am a host for Bewitching Book Tours which provides manuscripts for my review. No remuneration is exchanged and all opinions herein are my own except as otherwise noted.

Book Description:

A proper widow. A rakish marquess. He rescued her from thieves, but wil
Tiffany
Apr 01, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
*please note minor spoilers*
Since I've always been a fan of historical romance when I found this book I knew I had to give it a try.
After having yet another fight with his sister over his rouge ways the marquess of Kittrick orders his bags be sent to his home and leaves. What he doesn't know is that on the way something will happen that will change everything. For this is when he meets Violet Laurens, who on her way home is accousted by thieves. when Kit decides to help her he receives a wound t
Danae
Ms Westlake has a way with words... two samplers:
"God, Kit"
"Hmmm. I think I like the sound of that. God Kit. Shall I send off a letter to Mount Olympus to request admission to the pantheon?"

"You little tart!"
"I am a little sweet and a little sour. But as much as you like to punish me for my wayward tongue, I think you rather enjoy it."
That he did.

Some of her sensual scenes are erotic and scorch the page so beware if you are the kind who likes their romances clean or sweet. Violet is a widow, a
Shannon   The Romance Addict!
Great Historical Romance! Ididn't want the book to end!

h:VioletLaurens is avery strong determined lady. She get what she wants, She actuallyhas a backbone.

H: The Marquess of Kittrick "Kit" isstrongwilled and kinda "all about me" type. (RAKE) Hes is still lovable though.

So we start with Violet who isattacked by highwaymen. ThenKit comes to her rescueand get injured. So Violets who is a nurse takes him back and helps him recover. When hes all better herealizeshe can't remember anything. Then he se
Momma
Jan 01, 2013 Momma rated it really liked it
I hate to be so predictable but she pretty much had me with the title. I am a softie when it comes to historical romances with 'pedigree'. I just get all weak knee'd at all the my Lord & my Lady 's.. Like a good accent, it just shoots right to me. With that out of the way, I loved Violet. She is a very strong character who knows what she wants and goes for it. *Warning- there are some pretty steamy "adult" scenes that were at some times inventive. I personally love a little steamy in my rom ...more
From the first page it was clear I wouldn't't finish this book. Swearing and blatant sexual innuendos ruined what could have been a good story. I imagine it got even more sexually driven, but I didn't finish it. I can't imagine a gentleman calling a lady a b**** or other contemporary slurs, it just didn't even sound like a recency novel.
Robin Malek
Dec 10, 2015 Robin Malek rated it liked it
It seems more lengthy then it is

A little wordy, but well worth the time. Strong characters who have distinctive flaws but still love each other. A different take on the strong women in the 1800's.
Linaka
Dec 28, 2012 Linaka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency-romance
It took me 2 days to read this book, but only because I was busy. If I'd had the time I'd have flown through it. I just loved this book. I love that Violet wasn't your typical wallflower maiden who couldn't handle being around a wounded man. That she'd actually worked as a nurse during the war and had a spine of steel. I also like how Kit falls in love against his will. I literally love when a woman brings a haughty man to his knees.

A great read for anytime, not just Christmas.
L.  (I've Stopped Counting)
"If you have something to say to me, you say it to me."

This was a refreshing break from the norm all thanks to the character of Violet. Unlike other romance heroines, Violet had a brain in her head, a spine of steel, a heaping helping of Common Sense, and the maturity and honesty to admit she wanted to do the Hero every which way 'til Sunday.

Which she did.

Tina Ullrich
Dec 13, 2015 Tina Ullrich rated it really liked it
A Shepard in Wolf's clothing

Kit and Violet have a rough and Rocky road to over come. Reading how they interact and see things is interesting. When you rebel against something for so long it is hard to see that what you really want is right in front of you. Kit loses his memories temporarily and not knowing something is hard enough. But, when he gets enough bAck he does not tell Violet which is wrong because if he did then she would know that he really means what he says. Stubborn to the core Kit
Cinzia
Nov 03, 2013 Cinzia rated it liked it
A nice historical romance novel, a little erotic, is it a good reading for the Christmas holidays? Why not? Reading this book will definitely not get you bored.

A widow in need of rescue. A dissolute Marquess determined not to marry.
Jeannie Zelos
Aug 22, 2013 Jeannie Zelos rated it liked it
A Marquess for Christmas. Vivienne Westlake.

ARC supplied by Netgalley.

This sounded fun, a historical novel with an erotic theme. Interesting and unusual, and a change from my normal selection. It started well, Violet is out in her carriage when she's attacked by highwaymen. Kit comes to her rescue and gets hurt. Violet stands up for herself, and we see she's no simpering flower, (violet- flower!!) but a woman prepared to wade in and stand up for herself. That was good as I hate these weak, help
Meliana
Dec 10, 2013 Meliana rated it it was amazing
Jenuh karena berulang kali didesak oleh kakaknya, Daniel Kittrick, Marquess of Kittrick, memilih untuk pergi dan berjanji akan pulang pada hari Natal. Di perjalanannya, dia menemukan seorang Lady yang tengah melawan seorang perampok dengan ember kayu. Merasa kagum, dia pin menolong Lady tersebut, akan tetapi rupanya perampok tersebut tidak mudah dikalahkan. Walaupun akhirnya dia bisa menembak perampok tersebut, kepalanya tidak bisa luput dari pukulan batu perampok tersebut, dan dia luka parah.
V
Deb Diem
Jan 23, 2016 Deb Diem rated it it was amazing
A Marquess For Christmas by Vivienne Westlake is a fantastic historical romance. Ms Westlake has delivered a Christmas treat for reader with this amazing story. Violet and Kit's story is loaded with lovable characters, drama, action and sizzle. I enjoyed A Marquess For Christmas and look forward to reading more from Ms Westlake in the future. This is a complete book, not a cliff-hanger.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
A widow and a rake meet by accident when he helped rescue her from two Highwayman. He is injured in the scuffle and she takes him home to nurse him back to health. During his rehabilitation they fall in love, but the other does not know that. They do naughty things to each other and find they met their perfect match. Great Christmas read!!
Maria Rose
Mar 31, 2015 Maria Rose rated it really liked it
This steamy historical romance tells the story of Kit and Violet. When Kit rescues Violet from a roadside assault, the injuries he suffers result in him ending up in her home to convalesce. From there it's a short trip to her bed. I really liked both characters in this story. Even though Kit is a dominant type of man, he still has an underlying uncertainty in the direction of his life and resents his sister's interference in his future. This made him a more three dimensional character and one th ...more
Sally Hannoush
Jan 24, 2016 Sally Hannoush rated it liked it
It is always nice to run away from real life and pretend to have a whole different life. Saving a women in distress turned out to be the best thing that even happened to this noble. Great story but dragged a little too long in some areas for me.
Sabrina G. Hand
Dec 13, 2015 Sabrina G. Hand rated it did not like it
Crass and poorly written

The language used is not well suited to recency era. I found the plot predictable and the characters too modern in there thinking. Poor attempt at historical romance.
Liza Tice
Oct 26, 2013 Liza Tice rated it it was ok
I received an ARC copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I first started to read this book I loved it. However, all of a sudden Violet, the lead female, changed. There was no character development. She went from helping and caring to sexual and brazen. It was not believable and made me sad. Some of the language used and descriptions could have been left out of this book and more attention paid to the characters and plot. I gave it two stars only because I could
Amanda
Dec 28, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
I didn't find it to be a Christmas story in the true sense but I was a good story and had some steamy scenes to keep you interested
Heather
Aug 21, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
This is the first novel I have read by Westlake and I thoroughly enjoyed it. When the Marquess attempts to rescue Violet from armed robbers, he is severely injured. Violet takes the stranger into her home and nurses him back to health only to discover that he has lost his memory. What he has not lost, however, is ability to charm the ladies. Violet quickly falls for the Marquess but fears that as soon as his memory returns, he will leave her and once again she will be alone. This was a great his ...more
Dragonpoetikfly Poetry
Dec 13, 2015 Dragonpoetikfly Poetry rated it it was amazing
Awesome storyline and dictation of the characters time.
Al
Oct 12, 2015 Al rated it it was ok
It was ok
Wanda
Aug 22, 2013 Wanda rated it really liked it
Violet was being robbed and the Marquess steps into help her. While saving Violet he is severely injured. Violet takes him into her home and nurses him back to health only to find out he has lost his memory. Violet and the Marquess have great chemistry and Violet falls for him fast. But what will happen when his memory comes back, will Violet be left alone.

This is a good historical romance, the storyline had a nice flow and the characters were easy to follow.
Perla The IB Teen Book Blogger
3.5 stars- because it was over too quickly!

Infused with smoking hot chemistry and characters who break the traditional historical romance tropes, A Marquess For Christmas is a cannot miss story. I need everything Vivienne Westlake has, or will ever, write. I am a new fan for life.
Tracy's Place
Dec 31, 2012 Tracy's Place rated it liked it
3.75 out of 5
Mammatess
Jan 22, 2013 Mammatess rated it liked it
good book
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Once Upon a Plaid (Spirit of the Highlands, #2)
  • All I Want for Christmas Is a Duke
  • The Lady Who Broke the Rules (Castonbury Park #3)
  • Wanton Christmas Wishes (includes: Self-Made Men, #1; 93rd Highlanders, #1; Diable Delamere, #2.5)
  • Save Me, Santa
  • To Wed His Christmas Lady (The Heart of a Duke #7)
  • Someone to Love (London Friends, #2) (Love in the Regency, #2)
  • Secrets of an Accidental Duchess (Donovan Sisters, #2)
  • Letters At Christmas (Men Of Fortune, #1)
  • Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2)
  • Romancing His English Rose
  • Blind Lust
  • Once Upon a Christmas Kiss
  • Christmas in Duke Street
  • Christmas Miracles
  • The Fire of Thieves
  • One Winter's Night: A Regency Yuletide Collection
  • Gift of Desire
Vivienne Westlake has been reading and writing romance since the age of fifteen. She has a Bachelor’s Degree in English Literature and when she’s not plotting stories about sexy heroes and sassy heroines, she’s buying a book on British history, watching the latest teen vampire show, doing an art project or singing karaoke with friends. Vivienne is an active member of Romance Writers of America, Ro ...more
More about Vivienne Westlake...

A Marquess for Christmas (2 books)
  • Let it Snow