Start by marking “Death of a Winter Shaker (Sister Rose Callahan, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death of a Winter Shaker (Sister Rose Callahan, #1)

Death of a Winter Shaker (Sister Rose Callahan #1)

The peaceful Shakers, pledged to hard work, worship and nonviolence could scarcely believe there was a dead body in their herb house. The handsome young drifter known as a "Winter Shaker" had professed to be a Believer to find refuge from the cold and the Depression. Now he'd gotten himself murdered.

Shaker Sister Rose Calla

Published April 1st 1997 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Death of a Winter Shaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death of a Winter Shaker

In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréSmilla's Sense of Snow by Peter HøegSnow by Orhan PamukSnow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Frosty Book Titles
107th out of 424 books — 71 voters
The Great Divorce by Ilyon WooThe Visionist by Rachel UrquhartA Shaker Family Album by David R. StarbuckShaker Communities, Shaker Lives by Priscilla J. BrewerShaker Run by Karen Harper
6th out of 26 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

This was a very different sort of setting, a Kentucky Shaker village (completely imaginary)in the 1930s, a time when the Shakers were experiencing serious losses in numbers. The senior women's leader is slowly fading at the beginning and the men's leader is taking over, determined to send the Shakers back in time as far as clothing, language, and worship are concerned, believing that it will draw people to the sect. A young man, recently arrived, is found dead and the police are determined that ...more
Jan 30, 2010 Natalia rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2010
I don't even know where I got this book, but I'm sure I picked it up because it had Shakers in it. I grew up in Lexington, KY - and right outside of town is Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill (i.e. "Shakertown"). It hasn't been an actual Shaker community for about 100 years (it was one of the last), but has been beautifully restored, and is a national historic landmark.

This book isn't set at Pleasant Hill, but at another shaker community in Kentucky. The story isn't necessarily so great, maybe only
Jun 06, 2014 Eadie rated it liked it
>I enjoyed this cozy mystery about The Shakers in Kentucky. Interesting learning about the Shaker way of life and death was very fascinating. Enjoyed the mystery too and hope to read more from this author.
Woodworth, Deborah - 1st in Shaker series

The peaceful Shakers, pledged to hard work, worship and nonviolence, could scarcely believe there was a dead body in their herb house. Shaker Sister Rose Callahan, who has practical knowledge and worldly experience, is assigned to find the answers the sheriff refuses to consider--even if it means discovering a member of their community is the killer.

Cozies just aren't my genre and I found this unbearably slow.
Dec 07, 2011 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Recommended to Suzanne by: Murder,Mystery,Magic - Winter Scene
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I've always been fascinated by the Shakers. Though "North Homage" is fictional, I easily pictured the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill in KY. I'll read more in this series - I liked Sister Rose and the description of Shaker life.
Nice and simple mystery, a quick read (which is what I wanted). I enjoyed the portrayal of Shaker life as much or more than the story itself.
Dec 24, 2010 Sue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
A unique mystery set among the Shaker Villages, enjoyable history of this group plus a good mystery!
Nov 26, 2012 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Okay book. Entertaining but not spectacular. Interesting setting.
Aug 15, 2011 Shirley rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not the greatest read, but always enjoy insight about the Shakers.
Thought the Shaker aspect made it more interesting.
Jun 22, 2012 Marti added it
Passed on to me by Mom.
Ronda marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2016
Tammi added it
Aug 24, 2016
Richard Derus
Richard Derus rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Gaylene rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Becky Reid Gray
Becky Reid Gray marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Maggie rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Janet Lienberger
Janet Lienberger rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Pam Davis
Pam Davis rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Marcy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Jill added it
Apr 20, 2016
Teresa marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Dec 23, 2015
Mary added it
Dec 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Deborah Woodworth spent her childhood in southern Ohio near the abandoned sites of several Shaker villages. Before turning to writing, she earned her Ph.D. in Sociology of Religion and spent a decade conducting research and teaching. She lives in New Brighton, Minnesota, near the Twin Cities.
More about Deborah Woodworth...

Sister Rose Callahan (6 books)
  • Deadly Shaker Spring (Sister Rose Callahan, #2)
  • Sins of a Shaker Summer (Sister Rose Callahan, #3)
  • A Simple Shaker Murder (Sister Rose Callahan, #4)
  • Killing Gifts (Sister Rose Callahan, #5)
  • Dancing Dead (Sister Rose Callahan, #6)