Death of a Winter Shaker (Sister Rose Callahan, #1)

Death of a Winter Shaker (Sister Rose Callahan #1)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  11 reviews
SISTER ROSE IS ON A MISSION... TO CATCH A KILLER

The peaceful Shakers, pledged to hard work, worship and nonviolence could scarcely believe there was a dead body in their herb house. The handsome young drifter known as a "Winter Shaker" had professed to be a Believer to find refuge from the cold and the Depression. Now he'd gotten himself murdered.

Shaker Sister Rose Calla

Published April 1st 1997 by Avon

Helen
This was a very different sort of setting, a Kentucky Shaker village (completely imaginary)in the 1930s, a time when the Shakers were experiencing serious losses in numbers. The senior women's leader is slowly fading at the beginning and the men's leader is taking over, determined to send the Shakers back in time as far as clothing, language, and worship are concerned, believing that it will draw people to the sect. A young man, recently arrived, is found dead and the police are determined that...more
Natalia
I don't even know where I got this book, but I'm sure I picked it up because it had Shakers in it. I grew up in Lexington, KY - and right outside of town is Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill (i.e. "Shakertown"). It hasn't been an actual Shaker community for about 100 years (it was one of the last), but has been beautifully restored, and is a national historic landmark.

This book isn't set at Pleasant Hill, but at another shaker community in Kentucky. The story isn't necessarily so great, maybe only...more
Eadie
>I enjoyed this cozy mystery about The Shakers in Kentucky. Interesting learning about the Shaker way of life and death was very fascinating. Enjoyed the mystery too and hope to read more from this author.
LJ
DEATH OF A WINTER SHAKER - Okay
Woodworth, Deborah - 1st in Shaker series

The peaceful Shakers, pledged to hard work, worship and nonviolence, could scarcely believe there was a dead body in their herb house. Shaker Sister Rose Callahan, who has practical knowledge and worldly experience, is assigned to find the answers the sheriff refuses to consider--even if it means discovering a member of their community is the killer.

Cozies just aren't my genre and I found this unbearably slow.
Suzanne
Dec 07, 2011 Suzanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Suzanne by: Murder,Mystery,Magic - Winter Scene
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I've always been fascinated by the Shakers. Though "North Homage" is fictional, I easily pictured the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill in KY. I'll read more in this series - I liked Sister Rose and the description of Shaker life.
Meen
Nice and simple mystery, a quick read (which is what I wanted). I enjoyed the portrayal of Shaker life as much or more than the story itself.
Sue
Dec 24, 2010 Sue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
A unique mystery set among the Shaker Villages, enjoyable history of this group plus a good mystery!
Pam
Nov 26, 2012 Pam rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Okay book. Entertaining but not spectacular. Interesting setting.
Shirley
Not the greatest read, but always enjoy insight about the Shakers.
Margaret
Thought the Shaker aspect made it more interesting.
Marti
Jun 22, 2012 Marti added it
Passed on to me by Mom.
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Nita
Nita marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Sharonm
Sharonm marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Andra Weis
Andra Weis marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Pamela Kern
Pamela Kern marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Amanda Norwood
Amanda Norwood marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Wendy
Wendy added it
Aug 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Deborah Woodworth spent her childhood in southern Ohio near the abandoned sites of several Shaker villages. Before turning to writing, she earned her Ph.D. in Sociology of Religion and spent a decade conducting research and teaching. She lives in New Brighton, Minnesota, near the Twin Cities.
More about Deborah Woodworth...
Sins of a Shaker Summer (Sister Rose Callahan, #3) Deadly Shaker Spring (Sister Rose Callahan, #2) A Simple Shaker Murder (Sister Rose Callahan, #4) Killing Gifts (Sister Rose Callahan, #5) Dancing Dead (Sister Rose Callahan, #6)