Start by marking “Knife Skills Illustrated: A User's Manual” as Want to Read:
Knife Skills Illustrated: A User's Manual

Knife Skills Illustrated: A User's Manual

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Knives are the most common pieces of equipment in the kitchen, yet few cooks know the basic techniques that can allow them to carve, chop, slice, and mince effectively. Peter Hertzmann teaches you skills that encompass everything you need to do with a knife in the kitchen, whether you're a four-star chef or an at-home beginner. This comprehensive guide fills a gaping void ...more
Published August 17th 2007 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Knife Skills Illustrated, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knife Skills Illustrated

penny shima glanz
Mar 16, 2008 penny shima glanz rated it it was amazing
This is the book I wish I read when I first started using knives to eat and cook with (ok, maybe a few years later as I was 5 or so). The illustrations by Alan Witschonke are amazing and the plain matter-of-fact tone by Peter Hertzmann have made me fall in love with this book. You don't need a whole large set of knives, 2-3 are enough. He walks you through the basic skills and then applies those through various vegetables, fruits, meats, and fish and shows how they are executed on each of those ...more
kimberly
Nov 17, 2012 kimberly rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

small blurb on how to hold a knife properly. then the rest is just right and left hand ways to cut different items. tomatoes, potatoes, leeks, artichokes.... BUT NOT PEOPLE.
Michael Zaite
Feb 19, 2014 Michael Zaite rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants better knife skills.
After years of color pictures and small sections in larger cooking books, I finally have a full understanding of classic french style knife skills. The clean scientific line drawing style of the illustrations makes for a cleaner, more understandable way of learning knife technique. Includes both Right and Left handed directions for each task allowing anyone to utilize this book without having to transpose in your head what a lefty needs to do.
Michael
Mar 07, 2012 Michael marked it as reference
Recommends it for: foodies, cooks, knife enthusiasts
Recommended to Michael by: Adedoyin Adenuga
Shelves: how-to
This book is a very informative introduction to the use of knives in the kitchen. In addition to highly detailed instructions on knife use on meats and vegetables, it includes a good introduction to knife anatomy, knife care and maintenance, types of knives and cutting boards, and techniques for handling knives. The illustrations help to give visual reference points for knives and their uses, which is essential in learning proper methods. Instructions on knife use are helpfully divided into left ...more
Dan Appel
Aug 02, 2013 Dan Appel rated it it was amazing
The other premier book on knife skills.

Unless you were classically trained in a culinary school kitchen, then you are probably using your knives in ways that are a danger to you and are abusive to the food and your knives!

This book, and the other one I recommend make it simple - that is if you are willing to do what they say and practice as you cook until they become second nature.

My favorite book on use of the knife in the kitchen!
Nancy
Jul 09, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, cookbook
I did like this book, but it's just hard to work up excitement over learning the correct/safest way to hold a knife and how to chop assorted veggies and fruit. Don't get me wrong, I did like the book and may even purchase a copy later on. I'm just sayin' it's no Game of Thrones with nonstop murder and mayhem. Which is kind of the point since it's a book on safe knife skills.
Jen Healey
Oct 02, 2011 Jen Healey rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
No, it doesn't teach you how to slash-up your enemies. But it does have lots of detailed instructions on specific techniques for vegetable, fruit and meat cutting though, with great illustrations. I'm not an expert now that I've read this, but I am trying to use a correct grip and I can dice an onion (almost) like a pro now! We all start somewhere...
Ryan Forbes
Dec 11, 2009 Ryan Forbes rated it liked it
This is a great book for learning day-to-day knife skills. I really enjoy the illustrations. Photographs are great, but for this kind of instruction, the hand-drawn look is key.

It is also a good reference for some of the stranger foods (pineapple) or more detailed techniques (breaking down chickens), and a wonderful book to loan.
Noel M.
Dec 05, 2013 Noel M. rated it really liked it
A perfect gift for someone just starting out in the kitchen! This book clearly details proper knife handing and how to minimize waste. For me, it just confirmed what I've been doing all along is "correct."
Samantha Cira
Sep 14, 2007 Samantha Cira rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Amazing book, it's really teaching me how to cut veggies the proper way! I also just got a new chef's knife so I've been having a lot of fun.

This book has illustrations for Lefties as well!
Katherine
Oct 20, 2012 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Great little reference book on knife skills, the instructions are matter of fact, and the illustrations are great. Definitely keeping a spot in my cooking reference library.
Lindsey
Apr 10, 2008 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-odd-shelf
I don't think I have a knife set nice enough to own a book like this! Great illustrations! :-)
Moses
Sep 12, 2008 Moses rated it really liked it
Great book to have around if you'd like to learn some impressive tricks with the kitchen knife.
Brady
Mar 23, 2011 Brady rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Best cookbook I've ever used.
Becky
Feb 13, 2011 Becky rated it it was ok
Pinch grip. Huh.
David L. Harris
David L. Harris rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Andrew Parrish
Andrew Parrish marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Patty Baskin
Patty Baskin marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Lauren Flesher
Lauren Flesher rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
K Scogin
K Scogin marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Taisha-Herring Gillespie
Taisha-Herring Gillespie rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Denny
Denny marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Eithne
Eithne marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Waltz9
Waltz9 rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Jo Miller
Jo Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Russ
Russ added it
Jan 03, 2016
  • Cover & Bake
  • Homemade: How-to Make Hundreds of Everyday Products Fast, Fresh, and More Naturally
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • The Cooking of Southwest France: Recipes from France's Magnificient Rustic Cuisine
  • The Whimsical Bakehouse: Fun-to-Make Cakes That Taste as Good as They Look
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
  • The Old World Kitchen: The Rich Tradition of European Peasant Cooking
  • Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Hermé
  • Real Thai: The Best of Thailand's Regional Cooking
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • Classic Home Desserts: A Treasury of Heirloom and Contemporary Recipes from Around the World
  • Artisan Cheese Making at Home: Techniques & Recipes for Mastering World-Class Cheeses
  • Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking (Arts & Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History)