Start by marking “Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7)” as Want to Read:
Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7)
Preview

Shattered (The Iron Druid Chronicles #7)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  10,072 ratings  ·  752 reviews
Acclaimed author Kevin Hearne makes his hardcover debut with the new novel in his epic urban fantasy series starring the unforgettable Atticus O’Sullivan.

For nearly two thousand years, only one Druid has walked the Earth—Atticus O’Sullivan, the Iron Druid, whose sharp wit and sharp sword have kept him alive as he’s been pursued by a pantheon of hostile deities. Now he’s go
Published June 17th 2014 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Shattered, please sign up.

Ashley the Hufflepuff Kitten There are nine projected books in this series according to Wikipedia and GR. So no :)

Ren
This one of my favorite series by any author ever. The teaser description is great, but ... WHAT ABOUT OBERON??? Oberon, Atticus' faithful Irish Wolfhound, is actually my favorite character. I need to know that he's okay and that he may finally find happiness with a slutty poodle and an endless supply of bacon. This is very important!
Michael
Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid Chronicles is one of the best things happening not just in the the universe of urban fantasy but in the publishing world today. With the seventh installment, Hearne graduates to hardcover where hopefully he'll find an even larger audience to appreciate the exploits of Atticus, Granuaile and Oberon.

A quick word of warning, however. If you haven't read the first six installments in this series, starting here is probably going to be a confusing experience. While Hearne wis
Casey
The characters were in fine form, the writing as usual was great. But it felt like it was missing a plot to me. This book felt like two and half story lines that all were smooshed together. Typically each book has had a theme and this was the first that did not. It was greatly missed.

It felt like I started reading the in middle of the book. The ending was good but really unfulfilling as I was simply following events instead of reaching an important ending.

Typically I give Kevin Hearne solid fiv
Jake Menne
Why mess with a good thing?

I loved the first six books and actually kind of hated this one.

My first problem was the change in format. The first five books were single first person POV and the sixth had one addition, which I didn't have a problem with because I thought it was a one time thing. But this one had three POVs which, in my opinion, did not work out. Not only did it take away from the story and make it really choppy but it was just weird! There were three first person POVs and two of t
Chantaal
This is probably my favorite urban fantasy series, period. I love Atticus, I love Hearne's nerdy humor, and I love the weaving of various religions and myths into the world Hearne has created. I'm glad that Granuaile got her own POV chapters in Hunted , because she truly shines here. Owen, Atticus' archdruid, is entertaining, but not nearly a strong enough voice to counter Atticus and Granuaile, who have already had six books of character development already.

So, point by point.

The Plot
Shattere
Treswoc
Love this guy. For a while, it was tough to scratch my Dresden itch in between Jim Butcher's novels, then I read my first Iron Druid novel. Now I love Atticus and Oberon every bit as much as Harry and Mouse (and Mister). Kevin Hearne is a goateed master of urban fantasy.
Commentary
What a slog! Waaaay too many POVs, too many characters, too many supernaturals, too many gods (what, do you think you will be punished if you leave one out?), too many magical artifacts, too many locations and too many plot lines. Really, everything from yetis to every fae you can think of, and gods from every culture, including Jesus for cripes sake? I kept waiting for the kitchen sink. This is a great series, but this book was just a confusing mess. Our heroine still just doesn't ring true for ...more
Belinda Lewis
Kevin Hearne gives equal first person perspective in Shattered to both Owen and Granuaile, but doesn't capture anything particularly original or interesting in said voices. And this means only a third of the book is in Atticus's voice; his humour and relationship with Oberon is really what makes this series for me. It also reads like three disparate stories sloppily mushed together. Very disappointing, because I've been enjoying the hell out of this mythos.
Komal
I think it's time to start a new shelf. A shelf for series that have run their course. On this yet to be named shelf, there are already two slots reserved; one for Chicagoland Vampires & the other for the Iron Druid Chronicles.

With this series, I can't exactly pinpoint where things started to go wrong. I remember feeling a sense of comfort in the earlier books. Atticus was charming and sweet as was the setting of Tempe, Arizona. Hearne's incorporation of mythology was also a big plus. When
Haydn
This suffers from too many things happening, too many points of view, and a lack of focus. I enjoyed it to an extent, but not anywhere near as much as I liked his others.
Chip
Not that the prior books were particularly spectacular, but this one was a significant move downhill. If it were the first in the series, I wouldn't have bothered to move on - and frankly this one was so bad I think I'm finished now anyway. Sample issues: Hearne has moved from one protagonist (Atticus) to three (also Granuaile and Owen), all first person. Unfortunately, their voices aren't particularly distinguishable (which I guess actually means that wasn't Hearne writing the character of Atti ...more
Fin
Not my favorite book in this series.

Too many POV changes.

Too many Gods, Fae, etc.

Not enough plot.

Overall just a boring book.
Wordsmith
"Shattered," the seventh novel in Kevin Hearne's "Iron Druid Chronicles," was a disappointment. The interplay between Atticus and Granuaile was largely absent, as they spent the book on separate adventures, and really, tying the Yeti into Celtic mythology? Hearne needs to figure out that NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE CELTIC TO BE GOOD!

He also adds a third viewpoint character, here, and I frankly hate the character, Atticus's former Archdruid, Owen Kennedy (in the Anglicized version, I won't even try
Fredrik

Three gods, two Druids and a selkie walk into a bar...

This book is so powder! As usual, we're thrown right into the action and it doesn't really let up. What I found particularly brilliant was the recap at the beginning of the book, quickly explaining what happened in the previous six books in the series. The pronunciation guide is very welcome, too. But seriously, Scáthmhaide as the name of a staff? I forgot how to pronounce that pretty fast. Each chapter also starts with a small graphic

Richard Guion
I went 100% audiobook on this - didn't even bother with the Kindle edition. There is a new character, Atticus old teacher, Owen, who is 2000 years old. If you thought Luke Daniels was talented, wait until you hear him channel this character, with a thick Irish broque! And Kevin Hearne writes this man out of time in such a funny way that he deserves his own POV chapters.

Atticus and Granuaile each have their own POV chapters as well. Granuaile has a mission in India - her chapters felt a bit bori
RuthAnn
Best book of the series, easily.

Urban fantasy can be really predictable, but the thing I like best about the Iron Druid series is that nothing ever turns out the way you think it's going to, and that's especially true in Shattered. There was a lot going on in this story, especially now that it's being told from three points of view, and it was handled really well. I really didn't favor one narrator over another, and I think that says a lot about Kevin Hearne's ability to connect with the reader.
Eric
Sep 05, 2014 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of this series
A long running series will occasionally add a point-of-view character to liven things up, and the addition will come off as gimmicky and forced. However, this series, which has already previously added Granuaile as a point-of-view character, seamlessly adds Atticus's former archdruid Owen in this volume.

Owen's chapters are distinct, interesting, and humorous, and we get to see Atticus from a different perspective -- and not just from his own complimentary perspective and that of his smitten app
D.G.
**2.5 stars**

Shattered is definitiely the worst book in this series. Instead of a cohesive story, we have almost 3 novellas told from different POVs: Granuaile, Atticus and Owen, with ocassional intervention by one another to tie the whole thing together. It just didn’t work. Granuiele has become a less interesting version of Atticus and the Arch Druid is a new character, so I didn’t care being so much in his head.

The story starts after Atticus wakes up his Arch Druid to the fact that he’s been
Ami
DNF at 45%

I am going to admit defeat. I really didn't think that this was the book's fault, but honestly, my interest with this series had taken a great hit.

It started 2 books ago, with Trapped, after the 12-years jump. The thing is, I didn't like Granuaile as a heroine. I thought she was bland and unimpressive. So when she took more and more scenes, getting her own chapters here with her own adventure, I couldn't find it in me to care. I didn't feel the sparks like it did for the first 4 books
Desinka
For me, this longer installment seemed to suffer from its length. I found the protracted storylines less exciting than I did in previous times. I loved Owen's, Atticus' arch-druid's, addition to the team. I wish he'd stayed old though! I though the added POV a bit too much as I loved the series best when I only had Atticus' POV. NOt that I wasn't entertained to hear what Owen made of the situations but it somehow changed the dynamics and I dislike changes with things I already love!

As usual, Lu
Devon H.
I truly love this series, and I'm not gonna stop reading it any time soon. That being said, this book was a fair bit on the boring side, for me. And I think it was because Granuaile came across as stodgy and dull. While I do like that the story is told from three perspectives (mostly... I'd still rather it be mostly Atticus with a Granuaile or Owen chapter thrown in here and there), Granuaile's chapters were just dull. She fretted, she was frank... I didn't get any personality from her, except i ...more
Benni
Review: http://bennitheblog.com/bookbiters/sh...

A handy summary of past events is presented in the beginning of Shattered, the seventh book in the Iron Druid Chronicles. To be honest, even though I barely remember events from the past few books, I only scanned the summary.

That is because the draw of The Iron Druid Chronicles has always been the characters—the stories are fun and exciting, but they serve merely as backdrops for me to hang out with the Most. Loveable. Gang. Ever. One of the reason
Mermaidrain
While this is not my favorite book in the series, I can still see its worth. Everything that happened in this book had a purpose and it was absolutely necessary.

First, the character of Owen (Atticus' Arch-Druid mentor) was introduced at the end of the last book. All we've seen of him to this date has been through Atticus' obviously prejudiced memories. Owen had to be developed into a 3D character who would stand by Atticus in battle before the series could go on.

Second, Granuaile has only been s
Tom
Audio book read by Luke Daniels

I'll start by saying that this is my first foray into the Iron Druid series so this review is from the perspective of someone who hasn't done the previous books. I would not suggest this book as a great place to start this series. I heard this was a great entry point into the series for fans of urban fantasy but so much of what's going on in the plot is lost that I missed the overarching significance of what happened in the story. Now that that's out of the way...

S
Beth
Our dear Druid is up to his eyeballs in trouble again - though this time, he has more company than he anticipated. Ragnarok is still coming, the Tuatha de Danann are divided, Atticus ends up with unexpected company, and Granuaile has her own personal issues to attend to.

The more of this series I read, the more I come to appreciate the massive amounts of research and the deep respect for that learning that is evident in each book. Everything is woven in so seamlessly that it can be easy to overl
Jacquie
Another fun installment in the Iron Druid Chronicles. My favorite part of this series is Atticus's and Oberon's snarky sense of humor. My biggest problem with this book and the previous book is that much of it is written from Granuaile's point of view, and she's just not that interesting. She doesn't think or do anything unexpected and there is very little humor. On the up side, this book also has portions written from the point of view of a third character, who does have a sense of humor, thoug ...more
Kathy Davie
Seventh in The Iron Druid Chronicles urban fantasy series and revolving around Atticus O'Sullivan, no longer the last Druid in the world.

My Take
This is fun as Atticus teaches Owen about the past few thousand years and brings him into the twentieth century. I have to admit to a great deal of jealousy about that Immortali-Tea. I'd like some to take some of the years off along with their aches and pains!

What is Atticus thinking, running off to India without Owen? For that matter, what is Granuaile
Kevin
Another fast-paced quick enjoyable read from Kevin Hearne. In book seven we finally find out who has been after Atticus. We learn more about his Archdruid who originally taught him over 2000 years ago. One warning, the author frequently changes viewpoints from chapter to chapter and frequently it takes a page or so to figure out where you are... If you like this series you won't be disappointed, nut if you are interested this is a series where you need to start with book one.
Linda
Love this series but having three points of view plus three plot lines just dilutes the whole. Not my favorite.
harlequin {Stephanie}
The plot, like watching a ping pong ball on a caffine high, was all over the place. We get more direction near the end, but by then i just wasn't impressed. it all seemed to annoy me. Not that I didn't enjoy some of the trip.

Owen as an addition to the crew out shined everything else going on, including the main characters. Maybe it is due time mr. hearne cuts rope and starts a new series with a more interesting lead. Cause this one sunk like a stone.
  • Carniepunk
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Skin Game (The Dresden Files, #15)
  • Shaman Rises (Walker Papers, #9)
  • Monster Hunter Nemesis (Monster Hunter International, #5)
  • Codex Born (Magic Ex Libris, #2)
  • The Getaway God (Sandman Slim, #6)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Property of a Lady Faire (Secret Histories #8)
  • Black Arts (Jane Yellowrock, #7)
  • Fallen Stars (Demon Accords, #5)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
Kevin is the author of The Iron Druid Chronicles, an urban fantasy series published by Del Rey Books. The first six books of the series are now out as well as a novella that's book 4.5 and some other short works. The seventh book, SHATTERED, will be released June 17.
More about Kevin Hearne...

The Iron Druid Chronicles (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1)
  • Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Two Tales of the Iron Druid Chronicles (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #0.6, 3.5)
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)
  • Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6)
  • A Prelude to War (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #7.5)
  • Staked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #8)
  • Untitled (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9)
Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4) Trapped (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #5)

“Three gods, two Druids, and a selkie walk into a bar …” 8 likes
“I suspect that many of us, if given the chance to make one person in our lives love us more, would have no trouble in choosing where to point a finger. We are all needy, all vulnerable, all terrified that perhaps that person has an excellent reason to withhold affection. We shape our purposes to make ourselves worthy and often do not see until much later how it was love—or perhaps the lack of it—that both picked us up and dropped us off at crossroads.” 7 likes