Start by marking “The Sticklepath Strangler” as Want to Read:
The Sticklepath Strangler

The Sticklepath Strangler (Knights Templar #12)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  235 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Two girls find the skeleton of a 10 year old girl, who disappeared 6 years ago.
Baldwin and Simon investigate, and learn that the villagers have been concealing a serial killer. Shocking evidence suggests that the killer could be a cannibal - perhaps even a sanguisuga (a vampire).
Published December 6th 2012 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published December 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Sticklepath Strangler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sticklepath Strangler

Graham
Although one of the later books in the series, this is the first of Jecks’s medieval murder mysteries that I’ve encountered, and I’m certainly taken with his style of writing in these books. Jecks write sparse, clean prose, often descriptive but with no particular flourish or manner in his writing; the facts are given in descriptive passages or dialogue, and that is all. There is no apparent art in his writing.

But nevertheless he tells a good, plot-heavy story; he succeeds in creating a diverse
Jen
I would probably like this more if I would read the series in some kind of coherent order and more than two a year or so. I did like it, though; there was plenty of tension in this 14th century village that has people gettin' dead all over the place. It felt a little like the parlour mysteries, actually, like Clue, where everyone keeps dying and you can't get out and one of you has to be the killer. Kind of a believable ending, which is nice, because these types of mysteries can get forced in a ...more
David Serxner
I get Michael Jeck's books sent to me from by my family in England, as I do not know if you can get them in the States. He does his research. The books are excellent--very well written. I like a good mystery, and these most certainly are!
Angela Isaac
A gripping read that had me guessing to the last who was the murderer and if there really was a vampire at large.
On reading the author's note at the beginning of the book, I wondered why he needed to make clear that his characters are works of fiction, and that the real-life inhabitants of Sticklepath are actually very nice. Then I read the book... the villagers; they are a real nasty lot. Nearly all inhabitants have some gruesome and dark secret to reveal; whether the horrendous acts they comm
Mary G.
Another excellent outing by Michael Jecks.
LJ
First Sentence: They were out there.

It started with the death of young girls, and the accusation of cannibalism, the murder of an innocent man and his curse on the village. Now a young girl’s skull has been found and Sir Baldwin de Fernshill, Keeper of the King’s Peace, Bailiff Simon Puttock and Coroner Roger de Gidleigh travel to the village of Sticklepath; a place of death and secrets. The death toll keeps rising.

Jecks is so good at not only establishing a sense of time and place, but creating
Steph
I picked up this paperback mystery based on the cover, which looked somewhat like the Bayeux Tapestry. I learned my lesson about not judging a book by the cover, because the book itself wasn't great. It's a murder mystery set in a medieval village, and while the idea of that is interesting, the plot dragged on too long and the murders were pretty gruesomely described, which I think might have contributed to some of my nightmares after surgery. Not the best book to read in the hospital.
Nancy Ellis
It's always a pleasure to read a book in this series. This episode has several rather gruesome murders involving cannibalism and even vampires! Lots of fun and full of delightful characters!
Susan
Excellent suspense mystery, history brought to life
An unusual theme

Merged review:

Review already written for this book.
Excellent medieval who done it & you didn't know for sure until the last few pages
History brought to life
Sharon
Another fun medieval Mystery by M. Jecks. So interesting to see how crude life was in the 1300's and how astute investigators had to be to discover the perpetrator of crime.
Michael Jecks
Jan 24, 2012 Michael Jecks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own
This was a fun story from the moment that the local Blacksmith suggested the title to me, while we were sitting in the bar of the Devonshire Inn, Sticklepath.
International Cat Lady
This story had a lot of potential, but it turned out to not be particularly interesting - or well written. Yawn!
Lane
This one dragged a bit for me. There were a few characters that i got tired of. But I still enjoyed it.
Nikhil
Great mystery novel set in medieval England.
K Jackson
K Jackson marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Suzanna Mitchell-
Suzanna Mitchell- marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
hunter
hunter marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Vicky Tagg
Vicky Tagg marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Sheila
Sheila added it
Jun 22, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Tula or Kathy Fitzgerald
Tula or Kathy Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • The Awful Secret (Crowner John Mystery #4)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew, #8)
  • The Anger of God (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #4)
  • The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)
The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1) A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3) The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2) The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6) The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)