Start by marking “The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine, #1)

The Eye of Minds (The Mortality Doctrine #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  9,620 ratings  ·  1,647 reviews
An all-new, edge-of-your seat adventure from James Dashner, the author of the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series, The Eye of Minds is the first book in The Mortality Doctrine, a series set in a world of hyperadvanced technology, cyberterrorists, and gaming beyond your wildest dreams . . . and your worst nightmares.

Michael is a gamer. And like most gamers, he alm
Published October 8th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Eye of Minds, please sign up.

Elan Smolar Sometimes if you finish an asignment early they will let you read a book during the time that others are finishing. Your can bring the book to class…moreSometimes if you finish an asignment early they will let you read a book during the time that others are finishing. Your can bring the book to class and if you finish anything early then you can read it. Hope that helps!(less)
David All I could think of when reading it last night, (yes, I finished it in a few hours... It is a good, quick and fun read) was how much like .Hack or…moreAll I could think of when reading it last night, (yes, I finished it in a few hours... It is a good, quick and fun read) was how much like .Hack or SAO it was. Seriously. A strange cross between SAO and .Hack with a bit of The Matrix thrown in for good measure. Very fun ride!

While comparing any of those is like comparing apples and oranges... I hope you get an idea of what type of book you are in for. If you like SAO you WILL enjoy The Eye Of Minds!(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothThe House of Hades by Rick RiordanNever Fade by Alexandra BrackenEmerald Green by Kerstin GierThe Shadowhunter's Codex by Cassandra Clare
YA Books - Publishing October 2013
7th out of 107 books — 345 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothThe Eye of Minds by James DashnerMy Name Is Rapunzel by K.C. HiltonLight by Michael  GrantThe Elite by Kiera Cass
On My October 2013 List
2nd out of 35 books — 74 voters

More lists with this book...

Jon
Check out Scott Reads It! for giveaways, reviews & more!

Thank you to the lovely Go Flash Go! from Read, Rinse, Repeat! It was so kind of you to send me TEoM and I really appreciate it ;) Thanks for being awesome!!!

The Eye Of Minds was one of my most anticipated read of 2013 and it definitely delivered. I have been a huge, huge James Dashner fan ever since I first read The Maze Runner in my pre-blogging days. I consider myself a member of the Dashner Army, and I was so happy when Go Fla
Dyanne (semi-hiatus)
My thoughts after I finished this book:
What the HELL did I just read?

James Dashner's writing style is nothing like anything I've ever read, or anything I ever will read.
It's simple and complex at the same time. It is full of so many contradictions, so many layers, so much depth that it's really impossible to describe his books.

The thing about James Dashner:
He does everything for a reason.

No detail is too trivial. No plot twist too big or small. Everything matters. In the end, when everything fi
Braiden
Review originally posted at Book Probe Reviews.

After I finished reading The Eye of Minds,the first in James Dashner's new YA sci-fi series The Mortality Doctrine, all I basically did was:

1. eat in my sleep...

tumblr_mpv3hmjHZY1sn19dmo1_400

2. run in my sleep...

1235987671_dog-running-in-sleep

... then wake up in shock horror.

3. play the guitar, pretending I'm a rock god in my own VirtNet...

7HWFWGS

...while really feeling considerably itchy.

Basically The Eye of Mindswill mess with your mind.

Even Sassy attempted to access the VirtNet again...

photo

...but she ended

Eden
That plot twist might've been way out of left field, but it just created more logistics problems. :S And I read this almost in tandem with Brandon Sanderson's Steelheart, which really highlighted for me the main problem with Dashner's books: his writing is so clunky. It's really awkward.
Karl
I go off track my reading challenge schedule. I just got a ton of work and I really have to set aside reading the last 100 pages of this book. I hate it when work interferes with pleasure reading. It's just ain't right. Hahaha.
Okay back to the book.
5 stars.
This Dashner novel is very reminiscent of the anime "sword art online".

I really really liked that anime show a lot! Plus I was an avid fan of MMORPG back in my days (It was the dawn of Ragnarok Online)..
So the inspiration is not really new to
Katie (Books and Katie)
There was a reason the VNS has chosen him and his friends, Michael thought, and he was glad for the reminder of the lengths they'd need to go.

We can do this, he told himself. Over and over.

Review:

I was never really thrilled to be reading this book, nor did I have super high expectations for it. This is an author that I've not really been fond of, both because I could never get into The Maze Runner , and also because I've seen some comments made by him against reviewers and they deterred me from
Lexie
UGGHH where to begin with this book. Let me first say before I go in to dislike mode, that I am a James Dashner fan I loved the Maze Runner even though that series didn't end the way I wanted I still enjoyed it (even got my brother & boyfriend to read it, which never happens). I was pretty disappointed about this book the entire time I was reading it, as you saw from my status update earlier. Like I mentioned earlier that I really enjoyed the Maze Runner series it was hard to get into at fir ...more
Wesley
I have a problem with the way Dashner writes.

First things first, the book was okay after I finished it. I read The Maze Runner (really liked it) and The Scorch Trials (hated it), so this was my third Dashner book and the book that would sort of solidify my opinion of Dashner. And I've decided I don't like the way he writes.

While I found the book okay as a whole after finishing, it was not fun to read; it was just annoying. Similar to the Maze Runner series, I appreciate the concept and core sto
Jeff Raymond
Sigh.

Okay, if I put on my "would kids like this" hat, this book is pretty great. It's a fast-paced techno-thriller with a lot of twists and turns to keep the story moving along. A good gateway book for reluctant readers, perhaps.

If I put on my "is this a good book" hat, I just want to throw it across the room in frustration and agony. While the book certainly falls in line with Tad Williams's Otherland and Conor Kostick's Saga thematically, it's written more like a Dan Brown or Brad Meltzer book
Will M.

Kindly skip the sentences that were underlined as they will contain spoilers.

Before I get into the review of the novel, I'd like to point out that I was expecting this to be a bad rip off of Ready Player One. RPO's one of my favorite novels, so I had mountain high expectations for The Eye of Minds.

Just like James Dashner's The Maze Runner, this one literally started with a mystery. I kinda like that about Dashner. A mystery at the very beginning tends to make the reader speculate possible eve
Lilac
This book surprised me for the better. I didn't expect it to be bad, as I'd already enjoyed the Maze Runner series, but because I'm not keen on video games I thought maybe I wouldn't enjoy it as much. I was very wrong. Whether you like video games or not you can definitely find enjoyment in The Eye of Minds. It's almost like an adventure or fantasy book except that everything that going on isn't actually real, it's all in the world of the VirtNet.

Yes, the plot was very interesting and action pa
Antonio
I read Maze Runner, but other than that I haven't had much experience with Dashner. I was disappointed with this book. My biggest issue is that if your character is supposed to be a great hacker, or really smart, then he should do some amazing hacking or something really smart. Throughout the book I was wondering why the protagonist was ignoring his hacking skills, ignoring clues, refusing to search more deeply, or interview potential sources more than superficially.

Overall, this book made me w
Renee
This is the first book by James Dashner I read and I definitely enjoyed it! I found myself constantly rooting for Michael, Bryson and Sarah the whole way through. The VirtNet world the author created is amazing. This book was fast-paced and drew me in right from the beginning. I did not see the ending coming, however, there were clues. I was so enthralled with what was happening and what would happen next, that I missed them. I can't wait to see what happens next. This book will keep you on the ...more
Remy Blas
Disfruté mucho la lectura de la saga Maze Runner y tenía muchas expectativas para este nuevo libro de James Dashner, especialmente tratándose de una historia que está tan relacionada al mundo de los videojuegos, algo a lo que me siento muy cercano.

Por eso lamento decir que este libro me resultó una triste decepción.

Los personajes me resultaron huecos y aburridos, además de poco desarrollados. En ningún momento logré sentir ninguna empatía con Michael, el protagonista, y tanto sus amigos como el
Zahira
En estos momentos –minutos después de terminar el libro- no sé ni cómo sentirme. Tengo rabia porque no fue lo que esperaba, en parte yo misma me cree unas falsas expectativas pensando «!Es James Dashner! Seguro será asombroso» y qué va, no está ni por los pelos a la altura de The Maze Runner y por TMR me refiero al primer libro, no a la trilogía como tal.

El libro no me convenció del todo en ningún momento. Como primera instancia los capítulos aparte de ser cortos, estaban divididos como en ocho
Sara Grochowski
I wasn't sure what to expect from James Dashner's The Eye of Minds. After all, I liked The Maze Runner well enough after listening to it on audio, but I was hazy on the details and never felt especially compelled to read the next two books in the trilogy. Now, after getting sucked into and genuinely enjoying this first book in The Morality Doctrine, I'm wondering if his first trilogy doesn't deserve another try.

The Eye of Minds is set primarily in a virtual world called VirtNet, a world much pre
Rachel
The Eye of Minds by James Dashner is the first book in the Mortality Doctrine series. After reading the Maze Runner (also by James Dashner) I thought he was a great author and I thought I'd give this book a try. It was just as great and original if not better. This book is about a boy named Michael in the future world. He is a great user of VirtNet, a whole new virtual world where your coffin allows you to feel everything like it 's the reality. Michel and his friends Sara and Bryson are great p ...more
J.
Had a chance to read the manuscript of this amazing novel, and I honestly think it is going to be even bigger than Maze Runner. If you are a Dashner fan, this is going to blow you away. And if you aren't this will make you one.

As with all Dashner books this is a great combination of action and what the heck is going on here. Great read!
Random House of Canada
A fast-paced book that reminded me of Ready Player One for a young adult audience.

~Ainsley
Juhina
3.5/5 stars

Short story: The Eye of Minds is my first James Dashner book and I must say that it was a pleasant read. This book in particular is an adventure novel. I honestly felt that I was part of the trio's team in trying to find Kaine, a rogue hacker that is taking players hostage on the virtual net and causing chaos. The VNS, Virtual Net Security, force..err.. ask Michael and his two friends to find that hacker, and off they go. This book is fairly short, at 300 pages, and it was fun to read
Yuzuru
"The Eye of Minds" is about a technology advanced future where video games can be played via a body pod, that transfers the player's consciousness to a virtual reality. Since it's so realistic, video games are an addictive part of society so, of course, our main character — Michael — is an addictive gamer. Not only is he addicted, but he has amazing hacking skills which is not all that uncommon in these games.

With hackers about, there is one particular hacker who is destroying this virtual reali
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

The Eye of Minds takes all the elements of an epic fantasy with a unique world, crazy creatures and whirlwind events and changes it up – by setting it in a virtual reality world. Here we experience James Dashner’s epic imagination with horrific events, fantastical happenings, scary monsters and more.

Michael and his gamer friends Bryson and Sarah meet regularly in the virtual world called the Virtnet, where they assume virtua
Sherry Torgent
Eye of Minds is a techno-thriller. Think Tron or Matrix. Life inside a computer.

The story is based on three teens who spend their free time in a coffin like structure where they're hooked up to tiny wires that allow them to enter into a virtual gaming world called VirtNet. In the VirtNet you feel everything like its real life, including pain. The main characters are teenagers -- Michael, Bryson, and Sarah. They've never meet in real life, but spend all their time together in the Virtnet. They ar
Princess Gardener
When I first read the teaser for this book I was really excited. It sounded like an amazing book. After 30 or so pages in, I was ready to take it back. It seemed way to predictable, like I'd read it all before. But I kept reading, and wow am I glad I did. This book turned out AMAZING. I've read the idea before, a virtual world so real you can't even tell the difference between fake and real. But this book took it to a whole new level. Michael's mission, which seems rather predictable at first, s ...more
Michael Schmid
Ich kann gar nicht sagen, wie ich mich auf dieses Buch gefreut habe und zum Glück wurde ich keineswegs enttäuscht. Klar, man merkt sofort, dass es James Dashner geschrieben hat und dadurch auch Parallelen zu Maze Runner auftauchen, aber es trotzdem völlig eigenständig bleibt und auch neu ist und ja, einfach sau geil und das Ende wieder ... meine Fresse, Kinders, dieses Ende ... ich fass es nicht .... wo ist der beschissene zweite Teil !!! :O
Meli
RESEÑA COMPLETA EN LEE.SUEÑA.VUELA

WTF! Dashner! Ese final por Dios!
No se lleva las cinco estrellas porque la primera mitad tuvo sus altibajos, pero a este tipo le encanta jugar con la mente del lector (y con su cordura, agreguemos), creó un universo muy rico y una historia brillante.
Hacía mucho que no me torturaban tanto.
Meli
"Michael had to remind himself that it was okay-anything was possible inside the Virtnet."

Linda forma de empezar el 2015. James Dashner no para de sorprenderme, y personalmente, para bien. Él siempre haciendo lo mismo para que te comas el cerebro mientras intentas descifrar que va a venir y encima te sorprende, te da un final OMG que está sucediendo, y no te queda otra más que leer cómo continua todo porque no podes terminar de entender todo lo que va sucediendo y queres saber más.

Me gustó much
Soma Al-Dossary
The next line you're about to read is very important:
This whole book doesn't deserve more than 2 stars, but a half star is for the last chapter alone. For the unexpected twist. Meaning: It's not really worth reading.

What can I say.. I'm very disappointed. From the 5-star-amazing-book The Maze Runner, to this.. a scattered, not fun to read, not well explained book. The more I continued reading the more I wished the book had an "Enable Editing" button so that I can erase the sentences that just d
Lucy
As a casual fan of Dashner’s Maze Runner series and a sucker for anything sci-fi, I was ready to fall in love with this new futuristic series set in a virtual reality world where hackers are as dangerous as modern-day mobsters. But I expected more from The Eye of Minds than it had to offer, and after three months of struggling to make it to the end of this book, I’ve finally shelved it unfinished.

The Eye of Minds starts strong, with an attempted virtual suicide and warnings of an oncoming threat
Jacob
I thought that this book was truly a new step in James Dashner's career! It was full of plot twist, action, drama and much more! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has read "The Maze Runner" series or likes si-fi action.
The book takes place in the future about fifty or so years from now and video games have evolved. A game called lifeblood allows any human being to enter the game through a "coffin". The game is designed to make it feel real to the gamer. Although if you have
Feelings about the book? *SPOILERS* 4 24 Dec 12, 2014 10:45AM
Fabulous 4 Life : The Eye of Minds 18 7 Nov 29, 2014 02:40PM
  • SYLO (The SYLO Chronicles, #1)
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • Relic (Books of Eva, #1)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • Entangled (Entangled, #1)
  • BZRK: Reloaded (BZRK, #2)
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • 1.4 (Point 4, #2)
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • Twinmaker (Twinmaker, #1)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • The Hypnotists (The Hypnotists, #1)
  • The Paladin Prophecy (The Paladin Prophecy, #1)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Replica (Replica, #1)
  • Obsidian Mirror (Chronoptika, #1)
  • A Spark Unseen (The Dark Unwinding, #2)
  • The Brokenhearted (The Brokenhearted #1)
James is the author of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy and THE 13TH REALITY series. He also published a series (beginning with A DOOR IN THE WOODS) with a small publisher several years ago. He lives and writes in the Rocky Mountains.
More about James Dashner...

The Mortality Doctrine (3 books)
  • The Rule of Thoughts (The Mortality Doctrine, #2)
  • The Game of Lives (The Mortality Doctrine, #3)
The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, #2) The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3) The Kill Order (Maze Runner, #0.5) The Journal of Curious Letters (The 13th Reality, #1)

“Your demons are always with you," Skale answered. His voice seemed even raspier than the day before. "Don't you understand that by now? Always with you, impossible to escape. But you never can guess how they might manifest themselves.” 15 likes
“My name is Kaine,' it said. 'And I see all.” 8 likes