Start by marking “Never Let a Ghost Borrow Your Library Book: Book Care Guidelines from Library Secret Service” as Want to Read:

The Library Secret Service offers Official Guidelines on how to take care of library books and keep them safe from harm. "Never let pets eat your library books. Don't let Mom or Dad munch on them either," is just one example. Packed with hilarious guidelines and characters.
Hardcover, 1st., 32 pages
Published October 2012 by Upstart Books

To ask other readers questions about Never Let a Ghost Borrow Your Library Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Let a Ghost Borrow Your Library Book

Carol
Jun 29, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
Two agents of the Library Secret Service explain the sixteen Very Official Guidelines (V.O.G.s) of taking care of library books. Several V.O.G.s tell you what not to do with your borrowed items. For example V.O.G. #1 is "Do NOT let your pets eat library books. Examples of pets include dogs, cats, turtles, hamsters, and inchworms-basically anything that eats and burps." And other rules tell you what you can do with the books like hug (not kiss) them. #14 says, "If you love a library book soooooo ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Jan 31, 2013 Erik This Kid Reviews Books rated it it was amazing
Learn all about caring for your library books from the L.S.S. (who knew the library had its very own secret service)! You’ll learn things like don’t let your pets eat your books, don’t leave your books out in the sun and never, EVER let a ghost borrow your library book. You’ll also learn that the most important thing to do with your library book is… READ IT!

Why I liked this book – This is a hilarious book! The illustrations are even funny! I like how they look like they were cut from paper. PLUS
Mandy
Dec 31, 2015 Mandy rated it really liked it
The L.S.S. (or Library Secret Service) has issued V.O.G.s (Very Official Guidelines) on how to properly take care of your library books. Be sure to follow these guidelines carefully so that you can be a part of the L.S.S. too!

A new release ideal for a library orientation on book care. With 15 V.O.G.s, that contain humorous jokes, this book is geared for a middle grade audience (such as 2nd and 3rd graders). It is also a must to dress like a secret service agent when reading aloud!
Marcia
I have found it! The perfect book to start each school year when introducing book care and library procedures. This is a funny book that will appeal to most children. The L.S.S. (Library Secret Service) presents V.O.G. (Very Official Guidelines) for using the library. Oh boy----we will have some fun with this one.
Sheryl
Jul 30, 2013 Sheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very excited- I have found a new beginning of year, how-to-take care of your book book to read to elementary school students. Agents from the Library Secret Service give Very Official Guidelines. I also have a new bulletin board idea from this!
Samantha
Aug 23, 2013 Samantha rated it it was ok
Such a good title! This book covers some rules for library book use and adds a little extra humor.

Mixed media illustrations give the book a scrapbook feel, which for me added to the top secretness of it.

Julie Esanu
Aug 05, 2013 Julie Esanu rated it really liked it
Readers are invited to become part of the Librarian Secret Service and learn 15 Very Official Guidelines focused on book care. A refreshing and humorous book for library orientation (perfect for 1st and 2nd grade).
Karen Arendt
Aug 10, 2013 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
Prefect! Kids will love the humor in the story and the message will still be heard: take care of library books.
Diane
Aug 01, 2013 Diane rated it it was ok
I was hoping for more from this book. I like the idea of the "Library Secret Service" but it isn't used enough and the story just becomes a list of "don'ts"
Kimberly Wargin
Adorable. I love books that talk on about the library and how-to's and not-how-to's when taking out, reading and caring for your library book. I can't get enough of this stuff.
Michelle
Quirky guide for kids on book care from the Library Secret Service. My 5 year old thought it was okay, but wasn't overly enthused to read it again. Best suited for K-3.
Aug 28, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
I like this spin on the standard Library Expectation book. Kids will appreciate hearing the rules from a different perspective.
Alison
Oct 21, 2013 Alison rated it it was amazing
So cute, and true. Maybe I'm just biased as a children's librarian...
Nicole
May 05, 2013 Nicole rated it liked it
Will be a good book to use for library manners lessons at the beginning of the year
Kate
Nov 08, 2016 Kate rated it did not like it
I was disappointed to find that this is written legalistically and that all of the rules are expressed as Never and Do Not. Each tip for taking care of books could have been written as a positive instead of a negative. I'm wondering if the illustrations about what not to do will give children ideas they may not think of on their own, such as not using sun block on books. This illustration shows a child spraying a mound of sun block on her book. It looks like fun, and children don't particularly ...more
Carol Scrimgeour
I use this with my second graders and simultaneously show real examples of books that have suffered damage.
Laurie
Sep 05, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it
Susie
Jan 03, 2015 Susie rated it really liked it
Like this change of pace for care of library books. It bothered me a little that it said to ask your librarian to look it up in the reference section... so many libraries don't have reference sections, and there are much faster ways now.

Why or why aren't books like this offered as eBooks? I think it would be much more effective if projected so that kids could better appreciate the cute illustrations. Sure, you could project it with a document camera, but in this day and age it makes more sense t
The Styling Librarian
Never Let a Ghost Borrow Your Library Book- Book Care Guidelines from the Library Secret Service by Karen Casale, illustrations by Cecilia Rebora – good story for 3rd-5th grade with entertaining, quick book care guidelines… cute idea with the ghosts, I see that I’d have to reiterate the point that you shouldn’t let your friend take the book that you borrowed…
Karen
Apr 23, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. It starts off OK, with the whole Library Secret Service, but before long, the LSS pretty much disappears from the story and the book is just another book about library/books dos and don'ts. This is a case where the concept was much better than the execution.
Andrea
Sep 04, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
Students in 1st grade enjoyed the story. This book presents many ways in which a child can take care of library books and the "ghost" shows up in most pages. Great way to begin the school year with silly but very real book care recommendations.
Bonnie
Sep 05, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it
A good book for reviewing book handling with middle elementary students--I'll be trying it with second or third grade. The secret service angle will engage kids who have heard this lesson in past years, and adds humor to the story.
Jen
Mar 20, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb, library
a little long for my preschool storytime. I'll definitely use this on a school visit or two. great rules. hilarious captions.
Apr 09, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Another library rules book. It's a little on the long side and not so engaging. Te layered water color illustrations are unique and quirky.
Bmack
Sep 04, 2015 Bmack rated it really liked it
This book is a great reinforcement for a lesson on how to take care of your library books. It is a funny way to help them remember what they should and should not do.
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Mrs. B.
Mrs. B. rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Linda Tadajewski
Linda Tadajewski rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2013
Tamiah
Tamiah rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2014
  • The Lonely Book
  • Shiver Me Timbers!: Pirate Poems & Paintings
  • The Haunted Library
  • The Library Gingerbread Man
  • Kitty Cat, Kitty Cat, Are You Waking Up?
  • Peggy