Start by marking “About a Girl (A Girl, #1)” as Want to Read:
About a Girl (A Girl, #1)

About a Girl (Tess Brookes / a.k.a "A Girl" #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,771 ratings  ·  225 reviews
I’d lost my job. I’d lost the love of my life. My mum wasn’t talking to me. My best friend was epically pissed off. And my flatmate probably had a hit out on me by now. I never meant for things to get so out of hand…

Tess Brookes has always been a Girl with a Plan. But when her carefully constructed Plan goes belly up, she’s forced to reconsider.

After accidently answering h
Published July 16th 2013 by Harper Collins (first published 2013)

Win a Copy of This Book

About a Girl
    Release date: Apr 14, 2015
    ABOUT A GIRL by Lindsey Kelk, 20 galleys.

Giveaway dates: Jan 19 - Feb 02, 2015
    20 copies available, 278 people requesting
    Countries available: US
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about About a Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about About a Girl

Lye
    I've never been so annoyed at a book. I'm a huge fan of chick lit and adore a good beach read during the summer months. I picked up this book during backpacking for long train rides hoping it would keep me entertained. Instead what I got was a book filled with a whiny and slightly annoying protagonist. No matter how hard I tried, I could not relate to Tess. What was even more frustrating is that the book has no ending! At the end of the book things are vague, which is all fine and dandy but the ...more
    Chelsey
    Couldn't even get past chapter 1.
    I have enjoyed Lindsey Kelk's books in the past, but I feel her formula is getting old.
    Each of her books feature immature heroines who get fed up with life, fly to another part of the world, screw their lives up royally, and eventually "get the guy."

Ugh. Please. Come up with something NEW!

But, I could have looked past the recycled plot if the writing were actually good. Which, it is not.
    I tried, I honestly did, to enjoy it.
    Alas, I could not. I was bored to t
    Inge
    Review to come
    Book Addict Shaun
    I wish I was better at writing reviews as I don't know how to write a good enough review to do this book justice! I absolutely loved it. I think I enjoyed it more than any of the 'I Heart' books and I think Lindsey Kelk may now be my favourite chick lit author. This was probably the most readable book I have read this year, if that's the right word to use. It was just a joy to read from start to finish and I did not want it to end.

Kelk certainly has a way with words. Some of the descriptions us
    Natalie
    Jul 10, 2014 Natalie rated it 1 of 5 stars
    Shelves: dnf
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

what...did I just read. This book was terrible. It's a shame because I liked the idea but how it was written was just...arhhggg.
    It's slow for a start, taking over 100 pages to get into her actually going to this trip and by this point, I already hate the main character aswell as all the other characters, so I don't give two shits on what's going on anyway. The plane could crash and I wouldn't a give a fuck.

She's annoying, whiny, dramatic....just everything you don't want in a main character. I
    Tasha
    In most books, the characters walk off into the sunset, never to be seen again, but this awesome woman manages to intertwine her stories, making characters pop up from one story to another. I swear at times she has a link into my head of what I want in a story.

Now I guess it's time for the actual story. As much as I adore everything she's ever written, this is possibly by far my favourite. It has her usual sparkle and fun way with words, but I found myself laughing a lot more with this. Especial
    Kim
    Aug 18, 2013 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
    Shelves: 2013, kindle
    I loved this one- the first Lindsey Kelk book I've tried. Wouldn't we all love to have a week in someone else's shoes- particularly if that's happening in Hawaii. I will definately look out for more books by Lindsey.
    Aida
    The fact that I completed this book in less than four days is enough of a laurel for this book itself, being the sluggish reader i am. That is- its catchy, fast-paced, and brisk. The plot is actually nice for a chick-lit book. I was expecting a lot of Sophie kinsella prototype nonsensicalities. But i was surprised it had clever turns and the story did come in full circle and surprisingly there weren't any nagging holes in the storyline which the writer didnt fill up for her readers which was ext ...more
    Kevin I Heart.. Chick Lit
    This is another whooping winner by Lindsey Kelk. This is love.
    Szilvamag
    Nem voltak magas elvárásaim a könyvvel kapcsolatban, azt gondoltam, hogy ez is csak egy lesz a sok tingli-tangli romantikus közül, de nem is tévedhettem volna nagyobbat. Ez volt az eddigi legjobb chick lit, amit valaha olvastam. Imádtam minden sorát, úgyhogy új kedvenc írónőt avattam vele.

Csak azt sajnálom, hogy nem egy önálló kötetről van szó, és így a fene se tudja, hogy mennyit kell epekednem és várakoznom a folytatás után.
    Bree T
    Tess Brookes has been dedicated to a plan almost her whole life. She has a steady job and is just about to be promoted. Maybe then she can move out of the place she shares with her horrific flatmate and actually find somewhere on her own. And of course, Charlie, the guy she’s been in love with since university is finally going to wake up and see that they’re made for each other.

Instead of being given the promotion she was promised, Tess finds herself made redundant. Then she makes a big mistake
    Angela
    Loved this so much. Another stellar story by Lindsey!
    Simona
    Tess’s life is turned upside down when she looses her job and on top of that she’s in love with her best friend Charlie. She has been for the last 10 years. And in a night where she’s frustrated, drunk and down, it happens. The next morning she confesses her feelings and he just says all the wrong things!!!

When she gets the opportunity to get away and be someone else, she takes it. She takes her flatmate Vanessa’s job and flies to Hawaii for a photo shoot, where she’s the photographer.

Hawaii is
    Georgina
    I am a huge Lindsey Kelk fan from her famous I Heart series, which just gets better and better with each book. I was a little worried that with the start of a new series and new characters that it wouldn't be as good. I shouldn't have worried at all, however as About A Girl, the first book in this series was just amazing.

About A Girl is the type of book that you will pick up and not want to put down. I read this book on a weekend that I was spending with family so I couldn't just sit down and d
    Becca's Books
    About a Girl by the incredibly talented writer Lindsey Kelk is the ultimate chick-lit summer read of 2013. Well, that's my personal opinion anyway. Although I had to make do with reading this story in my bedroom (sometimes stretching to the garden) it is definitely a beach book, best served with a cocktail and sand between your toes. About a Girl was published on the fourth of July 2013, and has an average rating of 5 stars on Amazon! That rating is definitely deserved, and I really hope anyone ...more
    Louise Joy
    This book is the perfect summer read - especially since most of it is set in Hawaii but I kind of cheated and read it curled up on a very comfortable chair with the fire on in my sisters beautiful countryside house. What? I waited until a day when it was pouring down with rain outside, I promise I've been enjoying the sunshine otherwise! Anyway, back to the point, it's mostly light hearted but has it's fair share of serious moments to that get you thinking. There are loads of messages behind thi ...more
    Megan Readinginthesunshine
    I’ve been a HUGE fan of Lindsey Kelk ever since she released her first book. I remember starting her I Heart… series and falling in love with it straight away, the sheer excitement of the day that a new one was released…and feverishly rushing out to buy it and reading it in a few hours. So I was positively giddy with excitement as son as I heard that Lindsey Kelk was releasing a new book!

So…imagine you’ve always had a plan in life, and it appears to be going smoothly, until one day where it erup
    Agi
    I have read all of Lindsey Kelk's books and I have really liked all of them. She is actually amazing because every book of hers is better than the previous one and I guess it is not so easy to write such brilliant books. Every one of them.
    To be honest, every new book is like a Christmas coming faster. It was the same with this book. I have adored it from the very beginning to the very end.
    Like in every Lindsey's book, we have a main character here and her best friend and a "few" problems that t
    Barbara Elsborg
    After being thoroughly disappointed by I heart New York - while accepting I'm not the target audience, I really liked this book. The two were packaged together and I'm so glad they were otherwise I'd have missed a treat. Full of humour, I loved the set up, I was less keen on the amount of drinking and throwing up but it didn't spoil the book for me. Why I didn't give it 4 stars - was the ending. I don't really see the need to continue this as a series. It could have been neatly finished - it nea ...more
    Lisa
    For shame, this is the first Lindsey Kelk book I have read, although I have had the I Heart series on my to read list for forever!! I had high expectations and this didn't disappoint.

I enjoyed Tess, she was one of those characters that I instantly warmed to and I couldn't help but fall in love with her as her story progressed. Amy was also great, and the banter between the two was just what you need between fictional best friends. The descriptive passages detailing Hawaii were excellently writt
    Jennifer Crossley
    I borrowed this from a friend who loved it but I thought it was brainless rubbish. I do enjoy chick lit but this was charmless
    Kimbie

That was stunningly beautiful Lindsey Kelk!

A brand new book with brand new characters.. and it was amazing! I really enjoyed it because Lindsey writing style never lets you down. Her sense of humor is the right amount I need to get though a summer reading. It's so easy to get absorbed into the world that she creates.

I couldn't believe it when I discovered I had to wait until the summer of 2014 to finally find out which team she's on. I don't know about you but I'm so #TeamNick! #TeamWinnerIHope
    Alexandra
    Typische ChickLit, also nicht zu anspruchsvoll und daher genau richtig, um es ohne Probleme und mit Unterbrechungen abends auf Englisch zu lesen (mein Englischniveau: fließend bis verhandlungssicher je nach Thema). Ich mag alle Bücher von Lindsey Kelk, weil ihre Heldinnen immer so chaotisch und gerade dadurch liebenswert sind - so nach dem Motto: ich bin hier nicht die einizige Verrückte... Besonders hat mir gefallen, dass in diesem Buch nicht Angela Clark (von der I heart-Serie) die Protagonist ...more
    Charlotte
    About a Girl is about a 20 something girl called Tess, whose whole life has revolved around work since she left university, however when she gets made redundant, confesses her love for her boy best friend and gets rejected and falls out with her mum, she makes a rash decision and decides to head off on a photographer job, which is actually her bitchy housemates 'profession', and jets off to Hawaii under the name of her, Vanessa! She meets an arrogant journalist called Nick and soo much begins to ...more
    Tanya Negrey
    I have to say that what stuck out most for me in this book- and there were many things, none good- was the blatant abuse of alcohol the protagonist engages in. She also states on page 389 that some "crack would be nice". This is meant to be flippant/cool/funny, but is akin to a freshman in college who is tasting freedom & partying for the first time. So, no, not the way a 29-year-old professional should aim for behaving. The amount of time Tess spends procuring, using, then recovering from t ...more
    Leah
    4.5*

I loved this book. I absolutely loved it. In fact, I loved it so much that I'm now attempting to convince my bank account that we can afford a holiday to Hawaii, honest! I've only ever read one of Lindsey Kelk's book previously to this, and I'd completely forgotten what it was that made me impulse by the entire I Heart series after reading I Heart Christmas (backwards, I know). I'd forgotten how much Kelk makes me laugh out loud and I'd forgotten how her writing basically echoes how I talk
    Adele
    Loved it! It's been a while since I read Lindsey's last I heart book and I'd forgotten how witty her books were. From the start I loved the characters in the book, fell in love with Hawaii and Kekipi, he sounded adorable. The story was imaginative but very believable. The only problem I have now is waiting for the sequel, I need to know what happens next ... Need more Tess and Nick, yes I'm Team Nick! :)
    An amazing start to another series of books by Lindsey Kelk. Looking forward to the next instalment and seeing what happens will be it be team Charlie or team Nick??!!!

This book will always be my favourite as I was lucky enough to be one of the winners of the Kelktails competition to meet Lindsey Kelk and make cocktails with her.
    Natalie aka: PajamaBookGirl
    So, I'm still mainly a Kelk virgin! I know, I know, I'm stupid. I did read Jenny Lopez has a Bad Week last year, and I vowed to read the iheart series and this straight away. I really just didn't have the time though. Anyway, I was asked to take part in Lindsey's What a Girl Wants tour and I thought it would be a great reason for me to settle down and do a double run together. I am so glad I did. I would have kicked myself black and blue for missing out on this amazingly crazy beauty! Oh I just ...more
    Zoe
    So excited to have this think it will be devoured quickly x

Loved, loved, loved it. Kelk is superb she has such a entertaining and funny way of writing. I can't wait for the next instalment.
    A wonderful light hearted pimms,garden & sunshine book x
    *Best Sellers* Bo...: Lindsey Kelk 4 13 Aug 02, 2013 07:29AM
    • Hubble Bubble
    • By My Side
    • Take A Look At Me Now
    • Me and Mr Jones
    • Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #2)
    • A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
    • Meet Me Under the Mistletoe
    • Cupcakes at Carrington's
    • Yours Truly
    • The Perfect Retreat
    • Step Back In Time
    • Christmas at Claridge's
    Lindsey Kelk is a writer, beauty blogger, karaoke fan and not-so-secret pro-wrestling fan. She currently lives in New York, trying to get around in shoes she can't really walk in.
    More about Lindsey Kelk...

Tess Brookes / a.k.a "A Girl" (2 books)
    • What A Girl Wants (A Girl, #2)
    I Heart New York (I Heart, #1) The Single Girl's To-Do List I Heart Paris (I Heart, #3) I Heart Hollywood (I Heart, #2) I Heart London (I Heart, #5)

“And that's what's wrong with the world.." "Man, woman, straight, gay. There's nothing wrong with wanting someone. We're all adults.” 0 likes