Start by marking “Fiddler's Ghost” as Want to Read:
Fiddler's Ghost

Fiddler's Ghost

In 1951 Steve Clark accepts a teaching job in a one-room school in the Missouri Ozarks and moves with his pregnant wife Lacey to the colorful backwoods community of Indian Glade. There they are surrounded by Ozark characters who are absorbed with old customs and beliefs and school children who speak in Elizabethan terms. The Clarks move into what they consider an ideal hou ...more
Published July 18th 2007 by Wildstone Media

To ask other readers questions about Fiddler's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fiddler's Ghost

Mary Tuley
Apr 18, 2008 Mary Tuley rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who appreciates the mystical side of the South
It's kind of amazing that Mitch Jayne, who wrote this rather poetic book, has spent much of his life playing bluegrass music with the Dillards (who can still be seen sometimes as the Darlings on the old "Andy Griffith Show"). I guess I wasn't expecting to meet a Renaissance man when I sat down to read.
Pat
Jul 05, 2009 Pat rated it really liked it
Coming from Salem, Missouri in the 60's, the Dillards were not my first choice of musical groups, until a friend from New York introduced me to them. And now Mitch Jayne, who played bass with them, has written a delightful tale about a ghost, a tale that takes place in the Ozarks in the area of Salem/Rolla. The book is delightful to read, but also a thoughtful book about life, death, the hereafter, and immortality. The book speaks to the nature of music in the spiritual world. I highly recommend ...more
Diane Walters
Nov 09, 2015 Diane Walters rated it really liked it
This was a very creative and fun ghost story. Nothing scary about it. Just music fun and humor.
Alison
Feb 19, 2010 Alison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apt9-book-club
A tale about a young couple who moves to a rural community in the Ozarks. We follow Lacey and Steve as they move, set up their first home, Steve starts his first job as a one room schoolhouse teacher, they start their family, and they interact with the unusual inhabitant of their home. More than a ghost story this is a beautiful book. I found myself lost in the intriguing and often beautiful use of language of the local characters. The way Jayne incorporates themes of music and religion left me ...more
Tara Lofley
Sep 26, 2009 Tara Lofley rated it it was ok
I live in northeast Missouri, so I really appreciated the culture of this book. And the story line was really interesting. It was just undermined by overuse of profanities. There were some theological parts to the book that I felt were the author's soapboxes and didn't belong to the characters... like exploration about the nature of God. I wouldn't recommend this book unless you live in MO as well, since that is the part that made me laugh out loud.
Jessica Wilson
Jul 13, 2015 Jessica Wilson rated it liked it
A slow going story. I could not get fully into the story in the beginning but after a while it gets more interesting. This story is for history nuts and others who don't mind reading a little philosophical statements throughout a mystery or ghost story.
Pam
Aug 06, 2013 Pam rated it liked it
Interesting, funny, a little long. Written by a Missouri author who played the fiddle and wrote music for The Dillards and The Andy Griffith Show. He is from the Ozarks and writes about the people very realistically.
Susan
Sep 25, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
I liked the book, but thought the story line was a little contrived. I would have enjoyed more about the language and customs of the Ozarks woven into the story.
Douglas
Dec 05, 2014 Douglas rated it liked it
Read for the Rolla Book Club. Nice story about the area in earlier years. To me it had a very slow beginning.
Archie
Jun 29, 2009 Archie rated it really liked it
Fun story from one of my favorite classic American storytellers.
Owen
Feb 21, 2012 Owen marked it as to-read
Referred by my Aunt Mary.
Carol Richardson
Carol Richardson rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Joleen
Joleen rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
C Lambert
C Lambert marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Debi
Debi rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2016
Chris Thiessen
Chris Thiessen marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Nancy
Nancy added it
Jan 16, 2016
Claire Peckosh
Claire Peckosh rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2016
Jhbenwell
Jhbenwell rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Kevin Beck
Kevin Beck rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2015
Md
Md rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Shawne Seignious
Shawne Seignious rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Brian Bauer
Brian Bauer marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Peg Keller
Peg Keller rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Ann Agostini
Ann Agostini is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2015
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Audry
Audry rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015